Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:drat:

Largestone and Furystone? (And I can see the second one on the third floor. :respek:)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

in awe of the size of this absolute unit

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is there a point in having two Gorge dudes?

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Well, if you dupe an overgorger after it's already gorged a ton, the dupe comes with the permanent attack buff. It's also very easy to generate more morsels than can fit on one floor, with just a couple of morsel generating cards.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

good thing i swallowed my pride and bought the +40 health pyre artifact

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

good thing i swallowed my pride and bought the +40 health pyre artifact
I thought you were being sarcastic, and then I saw your health.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

:drat:

Largestone and Furystone? (And I can see the second one on the third floor. :respek:)

The more I play this game, the more it seems like the key to victory is abusing the upgrade system (not a criticism).

Kyrosiris posted:

in awe of the size of this absolute unit

Most of this was from one stupidly-lucky hand:

-Memories of the Melted (->24 Ember)
-Kindle (->48 Ember)
-Shroud Spike (Trigger Feed/Gorge on a Morsel 2X times) on a Morsel Miner

So 96x triggers for +672 Attack/480 Health and 192 damage from Brass Jaws.

Looking forward to that kind of thing never coming together.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Just hit C10 with the Melting champ in his burnout version, 3 spells that reformed a unit upgraded with holdover/0 cost (brought the champ back if he burned out or used to feed him morsels), 2 multistrike books for the champ, and the guy that gives gold on harvest with a Morselmaker and Morselmaster on the top floor generating hundreds of gold per combat. Easy peasy.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

So it's been discovered that the game has some sort of priority system in your draws - you're guaranteed to draw 1 non-support, non-starting card unit every turn, until you've seen them all. (Meaning Imps, Monuments, probably most 1-capacity cards, and Train Stewards/Dregs are excluded) If you've been noticing you always seem to be able to draw into your units, that's why!

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, it's specifically Unit Draft types of units - Imps and Channelers come from normal card drafts so don't count (but Stygian's totems come from unit drafts and do count), and Dregs and Stewards are from the starting deck and don't count. Don't know about event units.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That’s really sweet actually, I’m all for small cheats in the player’s favour. There’s nothing worse than drawing no lands / only lands in card games

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Avasculous posted:

The more I play this game, the more it seems like the key to victory is abusing the upgrade system (not a criticism).

It is, because that's the least random aspect of deckbuilding. You get few chances to add spells, even fewer to add units, but the upgrades are all fairly constant.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I’d argue that upgrades are a means to an end, because the real win condition is creating an awesome, busted card, and then duplicating it.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy

So this run just got loving ridiculous. Early sneko into every large chonker i could find, with double summon for my penumbra letting me dump them all, and then got cave in just before the last fight, for extra ridiculousness. That's 3 consumer of crowns, with quick and large, one with a multishotx2 tome, shadowsiege, a 166 damage overgorger, + penumbra on a floor. Just waxen left to finish covenant 25 with!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Legion of Wax is a seriously indecently strong card when paired with a few upgrades and reform.

I got a quick, multistrike one on a run, and barely needed any other cards. You just get it killed as fast as possible so you can reform one on every floor. The trick is that burnout doesn't carry though to the twins it makes, but the buffs do...

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Today's daily got a little ridiculous with all the multistrike tomes you could have in your deck, summoning 1-cost creatures to set their cost to 0 thanks to an artifact, and the burnout champ. I didn't really need anything but the champ for almost the entire run.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lozareth posted:

Today's daily got a little ridiculous with all the multistrike tomes you could have in your deck, summoning 1-cost creatures to set their cost to 0 thanks to an artifact, and the burnout champ. I didn't really need anything but the champ for almost the entire run.

I didn't pick up the Tome, but I'm sitting just outside top 100 and I got the Cramped Train achievement. If I'd used the same strategy as #1, though, I'd have got the 50k in a daily achievement and all the achievements for killing bosses before they enter the train.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Which is bettter?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Which is bettter?

Plating is better once you get to higher ascensions, before that it’s worse.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Played a few umbra runs last night. It is crazy fun to get a couple hopped up tanks chomping in morsels and slamming with lifesteal.

Until you run into those fuckers that get +10 armor for every harvest. Watching assholes come out each floor net positive in armor suuuuuuuucks, and it’s even worse when they hit the pyre room with 160+ armor.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wow I am absolutely loving this game. I didn’t know I wanted Slay the Spire but a bit more MTG and a bit tower defense and it feels super polished too.

Also plays extremely well with steam link on an iPhone / iPad

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wow I am absolutely loving this game. I didn’t know I wanted Slay the Spire but a bit more MTG and a bit tower defense and it feels super polished too.

Also plays extremely well with steam link on an iPhone / iPad

Wait, you can play it on mobile? How?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

You can use Steam Link to play Steam games with other devices on your local network

https://store.steampowered.com/steamlink/about/

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

jimmydalad posted:

Wait, you can play it on mobile? How?

You have to have the game on PC, download steam link (I know iPhones have it dunno about android) connect to the same network and play it that way.

There is a way to do this over the internet too but My internet can’t really handle it

Unfortunately you’re not pulling out your phone and playing it wherever you want, but I spend so much time at home these days it’s nice to sit on the couch and play this game on a tablet

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Which is bettter?

I prefer plating. Having the extra wiggle room to allow an enemy or two past your third floor without suffering for it makes things a lot less stressful.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does Heartless (“Cannot be healed”) stop Lifesteal (“Restore health equal to the damage dealt”)? The language isn’t 100% clear

e: the answer is, yes it blocks lifesteal’s life gain

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 6, 2020

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, Lifesteal is healing. It triggers rejuvenation effects, too.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Sweep lifesteal boss is a huge pain the rear end and kills just about any remnant run that I've reached it with. Oh you have a ridiculously stacked floor of reformed units with stupidly buffed attack and hp? Cool, cool, let me just hit everyone and restore to full health every turn. But come after him with a spell focused deck and he's barely a speedbump. Balance is just all over the place. It's not that I mind having bosses that test your deck comp, but there's a difference between 'tough to beat with this deck type' and 'gg if you picked this starting clan'.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah how do you deal with those armour Harvest dudes as Umbra?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Jay Rust posted:

You stop putting out morsels while they're in the room. If you have a morselmaker this doesn't really work.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

Sweep Lifesteal loses one lifesteal for each unit hit per sweep attack, so a bunch if junk units on a lower floor can eat all his stacks. You still have to deal with a sweep boss, though.
I lost a run where I was all set up for sweep, lifesteal, harvest, whatever gimmick but then Shadewings came along with 12x2 attack and 5 hp in the backline and I had nothing I could do about it.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
The one quality of life feature I'm really wishing for is a display of the actual amount of lethal damage incoming in a round.

It gets really complicated sometimes trying to tell if you can save a guy and there's nothing more annoying than throwing down heals or chump blockers and realizing that he still dies to a on-death trigger or sweep attack you missed.

Also, if the game could flash a giant neon sign every one of the twenty times per game I arbitrarily cast a random spell in the floor with Incant enemies, that would be great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

Sweep lifesteal boss is a huge pain the rear end and kills just about any remnant run that I've reached it with. Oh you have a ridiculously stacked floor of reformed units with stupidly buffed attack and hp? Cool, cool, let me just hit everyone and restore to full health every turn. But come after him with a spell focused deck and he's barely a speedbump. Balance is just all over the place. It's not that I mind having bosses that test your deck comp, but there's a difference between 'tough to beat with this deck type' and 'gg if you picked this starting clan'.

Name me one boss that isn't a speedbump to a spell deck. As long as you can clear out the units, even the 1200-health Revenge guy will melt to a few stacks of Spell Weakness or a big Frostbite stack. The problem in this game is not that the balance is all over the place; there just isn't any balance at all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Monster Train is the Marvel vs Capcom to Slay the Spire's Tekken. StS, like Tekken, is well-balanced and rewards paced, careful play. MvC, on the other hand, has ridiculous hundred-hit combo spectacles, and some parts of it are just blatantly and gloriously broken. MT's buffed things that are bad, but I doubt anything is going to get nerfed any time soon. That's just not the kind of game it is, and that's not bad, it's just a different kind of game.

Edit: Personally, I prefer Monster Train because I like the shorter runs, and the opportunities for things to absolutely blow up. When I lose, I still try to figure out what I did wrong, but I don't feel nearly as bad dying to some random midboss in MT as I do in StS. Playing StS, I know my failure is a result of a hundred small bad decisions, unlike in MT, where it was more likely one or two big mistakes and some bad luck.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 7, 2020

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

They have low attack so early on don't put morsels on their floor and take a bit of damage when they get through. Late on you just kill them before the consume stage.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 7, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Monster Train is the Marvel vs Capcom to Slay the Spire's Tekken. StS, like Tekken, is well-balanced and rewards paced, careful play. MvC, on the other hand, has ridiculous hundred-hit combo spectacles, and some parts of it are just blatantly and gloriously broken. MT's buffed things that are bad, but I doubt anything is going to get nerfed any time soon. That's just not the kind of game it is, and that's not bad, it's just a different kind of game.

Edit: Personally, I prefer Monster Train because I like the shorter runs, and the opportunities for things to absolutely blow up. When I lose, I still try to figure out what I did wrong, but I don't feel nearly as bad dying to some random midboss in MT as I do in StS. Playing StS, I know my failure is a result of a hundred small bad decisions, unlike in MT, where it was more likely one or two big mistakes and some bad luck.

I just lost a C11 run that should have won because all four of my removal spells were in the bottom 10 cards of 28 and the people who designed this game think multiple Shadewings are fair. I could perhaps have won it anyway if I'd been able to build a second big floor, but I was never offered any units that could survive 44 points of up front damage. It's an RNG game that makes big flashy combos and pushes the BOOM button.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I mean, what you described is probably exactly the game's appeal, the potential to set up big flashy combos and see even the usually unfair final battle crumble like nothing. The RNG part is unfortunately just a staple part of the cardgame/roguelite experience. It sucks when your deck sputters when you need it the most, and I've been there multiple times, but that's a standard hazard of the genre.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
The penance dudes in the final fight putting those cards in your draw pile seems grossly unfair

Operant fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It's even better when Fel gets the scourge variant and does it to you herself, plus the dudes that get to hide behind statues