Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
You can get sins back down low, but you need like 1k power to do it, you have to take it down to zero in one shot. It'll still build back up and bounce up and down, but if you have the ritual of power going you'll make enough to keep all 3 real low. Getting them there is the hard part. You don't need to though, I did the entire thing with max sin and only figured this poo poo out when I was dicking around after I finished. You just have to do things in bursts, and rely on mana charge for all your mana income since everything else will just get drained away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Can somoene help me with Synergism? I'm trying to do the first level of Cost++, i've done all the inital challanges to 75, and Tax to 18 and no multi/accel to 13. I've got 400 dupe rune and 200 prism rune, speed is 327 and thrift is 127. I'm only getting about 50m unobtanium a day.

I feel like I'm missing something, I'm about e500 short of the Cost++

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Oodles posted:

Can somoene help me with Synergism? I'm trying to do the first level of Cost++, i've done all the inital challanges to 75, and Tax to 18 and no multi/accel to 13. I've got 400 dupe rune and 200 prism rune, speed is 327 and thrift is 127. I'm only getting about 50m unobtanium a day.

Get to 200 thrift.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lufia posted:

I finished the game and built the Spire to floor 60 and my mana is still at -100 forever with 1e4 craving. I don't know that there's a way to generate enough power to bring it down right now. I dunno if you can actually screw yourself over, everything I needed was still ticking away.

It's a lot shorter and more straightforward than AK3 but definitely scratches the same itch.

I whipped through it this afternoon. It's fun, but the end does drag a bit with the spire and how it's just doing the same thing over and over until suddenly the beta is over. I'm going to let it idle overnight just to see if anything pops up when you finish the last two "Hireling" portions of the tower, but I'm not holding my breath.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Not sure what I'm suppposed to do next

I got hooked on this game earlier today thanks to this thread. I still don't really understand what I'm doing, but I'm maybe a tiny bit further than this image (spire steps just unlocked)

but like, I have no idea what's going on, and the lore tab is empty (?). Is there a wiki or something I don't even know what this thing is called

EDIT: For example, what do "massive slowdown" and "time spender" actually do and why and how should I be using them?

Cobalt60 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 7, 2020

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cobalt60 posted:

I got hooked on this game earlier today thanks to this thread. I still don't really understand what I'm doing, but I'm maybe a tiny bit further than this image (spire steps just unlocked)

but like, I have no idea what's going on, and the lore tab is empty (?). Is there a wiki or something I don't even know what this thing is called

EDIT: For example, what do "massive slowdown" and "time spender" actually do and why and how should I be using them?

Massive slowdown lets you run the game slower if you're having trouble catching that happens intermittently. It's not super useful but it's there if you think you need it. The other one lets you spend offline time or time generated by excess research, making the game run faster til you run out of banked time.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
OK thanks, I think I get it.

I think I've discovered that I have four or so "sins" that are killing major resources. Am I supposed to stop them somehow?

how?

EDIT: So confused... I have all four element Portals both open and closed at the same time? what does that mean?

Cobalt60 fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 7, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can only have one portal at a time (until close to the end of the game). You need to activate the "close portal" recipe on the thing you have open before you can open a different one.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Oodles posted:

About e800 particles with 150+ thrift AND duplication should get you cost++.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Once you've got the Magic Cap/Power to cap all the Blood Rituals, is there any way to generate Blood faster aside from the Blood Digger?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Pope Guilty posted:

Once you've got the Magic Cap/Power to cap all the Blood Rituals, is there any way to generate Blood faster aside from the Blood Digger?

I forget, doesn’t Blood MacGuffin affect this as well?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Klungar posted:

I forget, doesn’t Blood MacGuffin affect this as well?

Blood gain hack, Better blood magic quirk.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i like idle games and seeing the number go up. i found NGU idle independent of the thread and anything and had a hunch it was made by a goon when the little :iiam: showed up in the corner of a boss portrait. idk how spoilers are handled so i will err on the side of caution but how long does it generally take to go from v1 catepillar to v4, and from there to finish out normal and get to evil? i just joined the discord and the chat seems a little split on it

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Jabor posted:

You can only have one portal at a time (until close to the end of the game). You need to activate the "close portal" recipe on the thing you have open before you can open a different one.

That makes sense and all four elements can now be bumped up easily.

My issue seems to be that all three "sins" are draining my currency and other stats but I think I'm not done making things needed by those stats... Like is there a brick house of some sort? And are mana crystals and rice cookers supposed to do something?? I'm on the Spire Tower now but I wonder if I rushed on something that made the sins premature or something. The option to suppress them is ON but doesn't change anything, whether on or off.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Cobalt60 posted:

That makes sense and all four elements can now be bumped up easily.

My issue seems to be that all three "sins" are draining my currency and other stats but I think I'm not done making things needed by those stats... Like is there a brick house of some sort? And are mana crystals and rice cookers supposed to do something?? I'm on the Spire Tower now but I wonder if I rushed on something that made the sins premature or something. The option to suppress them is ON but doesn't change anything, whether on or off.

You can do everything even with them draining all your poo poo, you've just got to be careful about it and some stuff (mana especially) you end up doing in bursts. The only way at this point to gain mana reliably is to drain mana charges, but you'll empty it out and have to wait for a recharge all the time. You can drain the sins fully, but you've got to do it in one shot down to near zero and that takes like 1k power, otherwise the feedback loop just pulls it back up to max again faster than you can drain it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Paper Lion posted:

i like idle games and seeing the number go up. i found NGU idle independent of the thread and anything and had a hunch it was made by a goon when the little :iiam: showed up in the corner of a boss portrait. idk how spoilers are handled so i will err on the side of caution but how long does it generally take to go from v1 catepillar to v4, and from there to finish out normal and get to evil? i just joined the discord and the chat seems a little split on it

I think that whole process took me about a month idea how that compares to others

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Anfauglir posted:

You can do everything even with them draining all your poo poo, you've just got to be careful about it and some stuff (mana especially) you end up doing in bursts. The only way at this point to gain mana reliably is to drain mana charges, but you'll empty it out and have to wait for a recharge all the time. You can drain the sins fully, but you've got to do it in one shot down to near zero and that takes like 1k power, otherwise the feedback loop just pulls it back up to max again faster than you can drain it.

I'm not sure I fully understand. I just "won" the game, so now the snail, toad, and goat are drained. However, Avarice still steals all my wood so I cannot built it up to 5. I don't think I've ever built a single rice cooker, and I've definitely never seen any use of the "home" stat.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Home contributes to stamina production, I think. It's probably irrelevant after the early game, at some point you start generating most of your stamina from Body.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
eh, anyway, it looks like i'm one Spire step beyond the stated "end of game" so I think I'll just let it lie. Turns out that wood production was a blocker for the rice cooker, so I got some of those made and sold by killing all other stamina processes, so I felt like I "really" completed it at that point.

It's an interesting game - weirdly engaging and I'd try another version or sequel for sure. Thanks thread!

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

Cobalt60 posted:

eh, anyway, it looks like i'm one Spire step beyond the stated "end of game" so I think I'll just let it lie. Turns out that wood production was a blocker for the rice cooker, so I got some of those made and sold by killing all other stamina processes, so I felt like I "really" completed it at that point.

It's an interesting game - weirdly engaging and I'd try another version or sequel for sure. Thanks thread!
Have you played OG Alkahistorian stage 3? Nagshell's site
Stage 1 and 2 are way less complicated but interesting for lore purposes. Stage 3 is longer than the side stage and has a few weird gotchas but it's really good.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

anyone else having issues with ngu and steam cloud, it isn't finding mine for some reason

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Cobalt60 posted:

I'm not sure I fully understand. I just "won" the game, so now the snail, toad, and goat are drained. However, Avarice still steals all my wood so I cannot built it up to 5. I don't think I've ever built a single rice cooker, and I've definitely never seen any use of the "home" stat.

As Jabor said Home builds some stamina, it also makes small amounts of resolve (its the first place you get that from, actually) and mana. Rice cookers are for mana charges, the loop is buy mana crystal - drain mana crystal - sell rice cooker (which uses the empty crystal) doing that gets you .05 currency short of buying the next mana crystal so you can get them continuously. Its enough to keep mana charge full if you turn off the tier 3 elements (void, ice, magma). The sins, as I said, can be drained away but you have to turn off the three repel recipes and build up around 1,000 soul power, and then turn the recipes on one at a time letting them drain fully before turning the next one on. If you don't drain it to near zero there's a feedback loop in the step 1 through step 5 of each sin that drains faster than you can make power passively, but once they're near 0 a bunch of those recipes turn off because they need more sin than you have and your passive generation can keep them low as long as you don't spend any power on, say, turning a portal on. If you do that you have to build power back up to drain them again (I didn't find this out the hard way honest). Its a pain, takes an hour or two to build up enough power, and honestly isn't necessary to beat the game, I just left it on overnight between starting and finishing and found it out when messing around the next morning.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

dis astranagant posted:

Not sure what I'm suppposed to do next

Lufia posted:

Have you played OG Alkahistorian stage 3? Nagshell's site
Stage 1 and 2 are way less complicated but interesting for lore purposes. Stage 3 is longer than the side stage and has a few weird gotchas but it's really good.

Okay, wait - what game is this then? I also thought it was The Last Alkahistorian at first glance (I'll second the recommendation, by the way,) but it sounded like you were talking about an entirely different game when I looked back at your post history...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's an "Alternate" Historian game. If I had to guess (because there's no lore in it), considering the last thing you build in the Spire is the elemental orb, it's either the origin of the orb found in the Alkehistorian games, or instead of finding the orb I the first game, you craft it with Forbidden knowledge.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Okay, wait - what game is this then? I also thought it was The Last Alkahistorian at first glance (I'll second the recommendation, by the way,) but it sounded like you were talking about an entirely different game when I looked back at your post history...
There's stages 1, 2, 3 and a side stage. Stage 3 is the one with Alkahest in the middle. The side stage is the latest one, where you build a spire. All four games are part of the "Last Alkahistorian" series.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Lufia posted:

There's stages 1, 2, 3 and a side stage. Stage 3 is the one with Alkahest in the middle. The side stage is the latest one, where you build a spire. All four games are part of the "Last Alkahistorian" series.

Okay, sneaky. That must be fairly recent - I don't think it was there last time I played TLA3.

Thanks for the info!

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
NGU question: What's the best way to improve QP gain?

I'm a ways into Evil (Meta set has been greened, farming Nerd on Hard) and I'm only making a few hundred QP a day running it full idle. I'd love to get the Evil NGU = Normal NGU perk, but 15000 would take me months to farm up.

I haven't gotten the 25k and 30k PP perks which improve idling yet, but even getting those doesnt seem like it will boost my number by that much, and saving that much PP will take me a few days at best. My R3 isn't really up to snuff for the QP hack yet.

I'm just not sure if I'm at the normal point here or not. Lots of people include getting the NGUs perk as part of their Evil Strategy, but it doesnt seem viable. Am I missing something here?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It doesn't help that aside from not remembering how my Ygg was at that time, it's also out of order, but how far are you from the Fruit of Quirks? Its a pretty good boost to QP production, the one that's the least like a trickle at least. Aside from it, it'll be most little things eventually adding up, your Perk gain will grow considerably yet, set bonuses from the Godmother and Fad Lands, and yea, the Hacks. If you're already at the Nerd V3 then you can most likely hit some milestones.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Are all the Alkahistorians worth playing?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Chin Strap posted:

The second one was my least favorite, so don't feel bad if you don't like it, but yes.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Chin Strap posted:

TLA 1 and 2 are fairly standard incrementals, although there's a focus on balancing out resources - you often have to tweak what's active and what's not so you can produce a resource to get an upgrade. Fortunately, you only really have to deal with the four basic elements here - earth, water, air, fire. 2 can get a little tedious, but you can still finish it off in probably a day or two.

3 goes right the gently caress off the rails, and you end up with a hundred or more resources to manage by the end. You usually deal with them in groups, but occasionally you'll have to go back and tweak an earlier resource so you can generate a later one. It's grown to be one of my favorite incrementals, but it's hugely complex. I recommend a 4k large-screen monitor so you can keep all your resources in view. :v:

One interesting bit is that all three have a story and an ending - once the numbers go all the way up, you're done. The story for 3 was incomplete last I looked, but there's still enough lore in there to get a sense of what the author was going for.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SporkChan posted:

NGU question: What's the best way to improve QP gain?

I'm a ways into Evil (Meta set has been greened, farming Nerd on Hard) and I'm only making a few hundred QP a day running it full idle. I'd love to get the Evil NGU = Normal NGU perk, but 15000 would take me months to farm up.

I haven't gotten the 25k and 30k PP perks which improve idling yet, but even getting those doesnt seem like it will boost my number by that much, and saving that much PP will take me a few days at best. My R3 isn't really up to snuff for the QP hack yet.

I'm just not sure if I'm at the normal point here or not. Lots of people include getting the NGUs perk as part of their Evil Strategy, but it doesnt seem viable. Am I missing something here?

your QP gain massively goes up when you hit the next titan, there's a lot of hack speed ups that'll get thrown at you which will power the QP Hack, but there's also a bunch of bonus QP stuff as well

getting the 30k perk will increase your gains 20% across the board so you should get that as well.

you'll unfortunately need to do a bunch of active questing to further cut down the time on the QP needed for the NGU skill, but someone at least made a timer tool for that: https://ronpenton.github.io/ngu-quest-calc/

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Just a brief NGU whine: The Stealthiest Armor has a drop chance of 0.0001% and even with 216K% drop chance it still takes hours and hours between drops.

(it really IS hard to find!)

e: Literally as I was typing this one drops. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 11, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean it is the stealthiest armour

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Is there any reason to hold onto old armour sets early one? I'm getting my Beardverse stuff up a few levels then switching over from the Megalands set and there doesn't seem like much of a point of holding on to the old stuff. I've been trying to hold onto any accessory that has something weird on it like Wandoos, Adv Training or NGU levelling.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Yeah, anything with a weird ability is usually smart to carry forward, worst case if you toss something you can go get it a couple zones later with a much higher drop rate, so it's not the end of the world

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

DariusLikewise posted:

Is there any reason to hold onto old armour sets early one? I'm getting my Beardverse stuff up a few levels then switching over from the Megalands set and there doesn't seem like much of a point of holding on to the old stuff. I've been trying to hold onto any accessory that has something weird on it like Wandoos, Adv Training or NGU levelling.

There's a couple stats I particularly try to hold on to:

Energy/Magic cap, for buying the Yggdrasil auto-activations (they require your E/M maximum to be 10x the fruit's cost, and items can raise your max)

Gold drop, makes your diggers better.

Ygg yield/seed drop, makes your fruits much more effective, especially once you've leveled them up.

Lastly I'll hang on to accessories if they give a useful stat like NGU speed or respawn.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Phelddagrif posted:

There's a couple stats I particularly try to hold on to:

Energy/Magic cap, for buying the Yggdrasil auto-activations (they require your E/M maximum to be 10x the fruit's cost, and items can raise your max)

Gold drop, makes your diggers better.

Ygg yield/seed drop, makes your fruits much more effective, especially once you've leveled them up.

Lastly I'll hang on to accessories if they give a useful stat like NGU speed or respawn.

keep everything with respawn and ygg anything. Full respawn loadouts are real good for pp gain, and you should always have a ygg set with every piece that's ever dropped with gain for your harvests.

The rest you can play by ear mostly, in late sad almost all of my first page is accessories from various points so I can fiddle with what stats I want.

actual armor pieces you can usually safely toss as soon as you don't wear them. I'm in the habit of keeping the last 2 sets I'm not wearing, but anything older than that you need for say, titan unlocks, can usually be farmed in an hour or so once you're past that content.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I have a full tab of equipment i use between my item sets (ngu, hacks, wishes, max adv stats, gold drops, ygg, respawn)
Im in late sadistic for reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pope Guilty posted:

Just a brief NGU whine: The Stealthiest Armor has a drop chance of 0.0001% and even with 216K% drop chance it still takes hours and hours between drops.

(it really IS hard to find!)

e: Literally as I was typing this one drops. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Wait til you get to the Exile...:laugh: