Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I also hate having too many cities to manage, so I always overpopulate my maps by adding extra civs and city states. I normally have room for 5-8 cities, which is the sweet spot for me since then each can feel like it means more than a fire and forget two-district resource node. As a bonus, the extra city states means there’ll almost always be one with a housing improvement like monasteries or Cahokia mounds, so I won’t need to bother with neighborhoods.

If you don’t enjoy playing conquest, I’d recommend a civ like Norway or Macedon, since they have tools for earning science and culture through warfare, which makes them a lot easier to down-prioritize.

You don't experience the joys of settling a 3 pop city in the ice to get oil or uranium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh, I do that, and then I send all my trade routes there to get it to 15 pop and build the Amundsen-Scott research station.

If there's any tundra I also spend a dozen builders to make sure every tile without a resource is a forest with a lumber mill, and if it's surrounded by water it is now surrounded by fisheries. The snow tiles can take whatever districts and wonders will fit there, idgaf.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So once difference I've noticed between my play and the diety guys is the first few builds. People like potato often seem to go scout scout. He never seems to have the same type of barb issues I often do. I typically play on epic speed, and I find that in a lot of my games that kind of opener would lead to be being loving overrun with barbs. I've had games where I have multiple barbarian horsemen and a horse archer at my doorsteps before turn 20. I usually open slinger slinger and rush towards archery. Does game speed influence what you start with, or is my way of handling barbs somehow just bad?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I just unexpectedly got a Diplomacy victory when three other civs had aid requests pop up at the same time - worth 2 Diplomacy points each if you win them. I realized that I was sitting at 14 Diplomacy points and that the next World Congress wasn't until after the competitions ended. I just shifted every city to nothing but "send aid" and waited 30 turns and it was done. I was actually really close to my intended Cultural victory but the opportunity was just too good.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Filthy Monkey posted:

So once difference I've noticed between my play and the diety guys is the first few builds. People like potato often seem to go scout scout. He never seems to have the same type of barb issues I often do. I typically play on epic speed, and I find that in a lot of my games that kind of opener would lead to be being loving overrun with barbs. I've had games where I have multiple barbarian horsemen and a horse archer at my doorsteps before turn 20. I usually open slinger slinger and rush towards archery. Does game speed influence what you start with, or is my way of handling barbs somehow just bad?

Maybe. I always play on normal speed and I never have any serious problems with barbarians. Also I never played on any difficulty above emperor, so maybe is that too

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
game speed does change some things balance-wise, for example units can cross as much terrain per turn as on other speeds, but you tech slower, so stuff like domination victories are easier on slower game speeds as your units do not become outdated quite as fast. I'm not sure how it influences barbarian spawn rates, but it makes it easier for a barbarian to wander into your area before you've had the opportunity to build warriors/slingers (due to production being slower compared to unit movement speed than on normal difficulty) or before you've had the opportunity to produce a certain amount of settlers and settle certain cities, tech up etc.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Playing on deity means the ai starts with two settlers. This immediately removes a vast amount of empty territory and limits areas where barbs can spawn dramatically. The ai is also much better equipped (5 warriors) to take them out themselves.

Compare to prince or king - ai starts very similar to you and there’s lots of empty land and the ai can have a tough time eliminating barbs so you’ll see more of them and be responsible for more barn camps.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One of my most interesting game was where I'd found, upon scouting my local region, that I was in a giant desert basin ringed by mountains. So I naturally poured all my early resources into getting three settlers out to claim all the passes. This led to the AI being blocked off from a massive tract of land, most of which was untenable due to being desert with few workable tiles. I'm pretty sure I was up to the industrial era before I'd managed to quash the barbarians for good, while the AI's war declarations were no problem because their only avenues of attack were heavily fortified border cities.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

There's always gonna be a Barb camp near you at the very least, so scout close in a circle until you find it. If your single warrior is 10+ turns West of your capital when a barbarian scout comes looming out of the fog next to your City it's gonna get bananas. Try to just scout the circle area of your Capital. If a camp isn't there then a barbarian scout is gonna have a long walk back to base.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, double scout for an experienced streamer is one thing (he's looking for/doing a very particular thing), but on slower game speeds you have a lot less production to be reactive with incase of a sudden urgency. On normal speeds you could probably start a slinger the second you see an unexpected scout, and have that slinger be ready to fight by the time the fight starts.

Plus as mentioned the AI will gobble up barbs on higher settings.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Just started an epic-speed Genghis Khan game to try and get the achievement for a cultural win.

Immediately regretting using apocalypse mode for kicks. Or at least without disabling diplomatic victory first.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Thinking about jumping back into Civ VI this evening. How are those two new civs, and what is “apocalypse” mode exactly? Is it a new era after nuclear, or its very own game setting?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

chaosapiant posted:

Thinking about jumping back into Civ VI this evening. How are those two new civs, and what is “apocalypse” mode exactly? Is it a new era after nuclear, or its very own game setting?

Both civs seem quite powerful. Maya's kind of start dependent, you need space for good cities close to your capital and plantation resources help too. Colombia is balls to the walls crazy with how fast you can do stuff. Apocalypse mode adds a few things to the game, mainly soothsayer units which are basically apostles that cause disasters instead of spreading religions, a new emergency which requires you to throw your units into volcanos to appease the gods, and a final stage to climate change where comets rain down on the earth and full on destroy cities and terrain. But otherwise, it's a regular game.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
It's weird you do anything but build like 4 archers and 2 warriors because that's enough to push in the poo poo of the AI on any difficulty level and win the game trivially because the game is so loving bad at playing itself.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Just won a Diplomatic victory while sitting on 6 out of 8 capitols and at war with all but one of the remaining civs. The touchy-feely video at the end felt like a propaganda film about why my wanton destruction of half the planet was totally justified.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

showbiz_liz posted:

Just won a Diplomatic victory while sitting on 6 out of 8 capitols and at war with all but one of the remaining civs. The touchy-feely video at the end felt like a propaganda film about why my wanton destruction of half the planet was totally justified.

Diplo is the new broken victory condition.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

You can come close to a Diplomatic Victory by accident depending on the game, and that really isn't something that should happen.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The diplomatic victory system in Civ 6 is dumb and boring and Ill disable it every game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
well i was playing vanilla civ 6 with some buddies who got it free on epic a couple weeks ago and while i still think it's pretty buggy and lovely in singleplayer, it handles multiplayer way better than civ 5 did. i actually like that wonders are Good but not Great, and very plentiful, so nobody cares if their teammates get them, there hasn't been a single instance so far where anyone has been like "no -I- need that wonder!" it can't top the way 4 handled it but then, what can?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I'm not sure where else to ask this, but has anyone ever played, or like, Call to Power 2? I have it in my GOG library and have only started it up for a few minutes. How does it hold up? Are there any "modern ui/widescreen" style mods?

Edit: Just found an "Apolyton Edition" mod that enhances some things, and the game seems to fit ultrawide natively with no lovely stretching or letter boxing. Cool!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 7, 2020

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I tried playing Call to Power 2, but my main issues with it are the same as with Alpha Centauri; the UI and controls are archaic and hard to go back to after all the improvements that have been done in the years since. CtP2 was far worse than AC in that regard. It's a shame too, because the actual mechanics seemed interesting.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It does baffle me that there's no option to just turn off Spies. At least for me they add absolutely nothing to the game, I never use them myself because they're busywork and the AI goes mad with them because it can.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The AI doesn't exclusively target the human players too - you'll often find barbarian ranks running around AI lands towards the end of the game that have been majicked up by spies. Unfortunately the terrible AI programming means more often than not, they won't actually do much, and they will usually try to relocate to the human player's lands where they will do some damage.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Taear posted:

It does baffle me that there's no option to just turn off Spies. At least for me they add absolutely nothing to the game, I never use them myself because they're busywork and the AI goes mad with them because it can.

Spies are, strangely, both useless and OP. Nothing they do can really make or break a game or have a long lasting impact, but many of their actions are very disruptive and, above everything, annoying

A small fix could improve it a lot: make counter espionage city based, as it always been, not district based. Being district based makes counter espionage a micro management that has little chance of delivering, and makes spies too powerful, as most often they will find no defense

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Spies are, strangely, both useless and OP. Nothing they do can really make or break a game or have a long lasting impact, but many of their actions are very disruptive and, above everything, annoying

A small fix could improve it a lot: make counter espionage city based, as it always been, not district based. Being district based makes counter espionage a micro management that has little chance of delivering, and makes spies too powerful, as most often they will find no defense

It is pretty loving insane to me that it is district based. It seems like the sort of thing in playtesting people would say "This is quite fiddly and annoying" to.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
9/10 games I just put my spies in commercial districts and rob people nonstop. It’s a nice additional income in the late game if you have decent opponents still. Or gently caress with players envoys at city states in MP games, since that just deletes envoys from them.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Let's not get carried away here guys

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

onesixtwo posted:

9/10 games I just put my spies in commercial districts and rob people nonstop. It’s a nice additional income in the late game if you have decent opponents still. Or gently caress with players envoys at city states in MP games, since that just deletes envoys from them.

I'm sure spies are fine in multiplayer, but I'm talking about using them against the AI.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

onesixtwo posted:

Same. That, steal tech boosts and steal great work are really the only actually useful spy missions

Other ones, like partisans, neutralize governor, sabotages, etc are just incredibly annoying for the target, which makes them mostly useless against the AI, since it cant feel anger

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I find using spies defensively pretty easy, actually. In general, every AI just targets the same small handful of districts in the same cities, so once you have someone steal your money, you plant the spy there and you are good. Eventually that spy gets to level 3 and you can deploy offensively if you want.

Especially since apocalypse mode came out I don't even really notice enemy spies because blizzards and tornadoes are sacking my poo poo so constantly.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Assassinate governor/foment unrest are pretty handy for flipping neighboring cities if you don’t want to deal with grievances. That and counterspying are pretty much all I do with them.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I find using spies defensively pretty easy, actually. In general, every AI just targets the same small handful of districts in the same cities, so once you have someone steal your money, you plant the spy there and you are good. Eventually that spy gets to level 3 and you can deploy offensively if you want.

Especially since apocalypse mode came out I don't even really notice enemy spies because blizzards and tornadoes are sacking my poo poo so constantly.

I mean, if you are building your cities right, you'll often have like 3-5 districts all in a clump nest to each other (not 100% of the time but often enough). So you can easily put the most experienced spy in the central district and another in your most important district (often a space port in a science game, but it can change depending on game) and be very safe from enemy spies.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Taear posted:

No Spies mod

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

the spy mission to increase diplomatic visibility is useful in war as it gives you a combat bonus (i think it also affects religious combat). stealing money and tech boosts is also useful. i never find the ai spies to be much of a problem. just run the policy cards if they get annoying,.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I hope the new espionage mode coming in the July pack will have some needed improvements to the spy system

Edit: "Secret societies"

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 7, 2020

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Mortlock posted:

The for some reason I felt like going back in time and having a crack at the original.

Catching up on the thread and missed Civ1 discussion, which holds a soft spot in my heart. I really miss being able to clearly see the boundary and function of each tile from iconography -- the new games make for pretty screenshots but its hard as hell for me to tell what terrain actually is without turning on yields or icons or mousing over.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Catching up on the thread and missed Civ1 discussion, which holds a soft spot in my heart. I really miss being able to clearly see the boundary and function of each tile from iconography -- the new games make for pretty screenshots but its hard as hell for me to tell what terrain actually is without turning on yields or icons or mousing over.

Try turning on strategic mode, it's quite good for this sort of thing.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kaal posted:

Try turning on strategic mode, it's quite good for this sort of thing.

Strategic mode is excellent, and they've made it very attractive in VI.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I managed to play civ 5 in strategic mode for a long long time, tried it with civ 6 but it was really missing something. There's actually a lot tied into the pretty graphics, from being able to work out a bit about adjacent tiles, to figuring out how far through construction a wonder is. But it's also hard to tell if a hill is a hill sometimes, and don't even bother with trying to figure out roads and railroads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I much prefer the tribal village in 6 Strategic mode. Can't see those for poo poo in the regular game