Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This BGG closure situation reminds me of stories from the old GameFAQs forums (I was never a member but was peripheral to members). They had a lovely subforum that they wanted to get rid of. They just made it invisible to new users so it would slowly shrink away and die as users got banned or bored. When asked why they didn't close it, they said something like "That would be like taking a person with the plague and sending him through a jet engine." Meaning, the bad apples would spread to the entire forum.

I feel like BGG might be in that jet engine scenario. Those guys will just find other parts of BGG to be awful on. Maybe more people will see what a huge problem the chuds have been on there for a long time. What they need to do is start banning people. Seriously, where else are they going to go? BGG has a defacto monopoly on board game info, so they can't just not use the site. gently caress em.

Also, Mayveena, happy to see Candice join the team out there. I hadn't seen her articles go by (or I did and assumed they were W. Eric Martin?), but you've trained her well; she would fit right in in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
She would fit right in!!! But she's so overbooked :) As you might imagine, she's very popular and has a lot of friends.

I know in the Game Brain Podcast discord, someone wanted to talk about Bernie Sanders there a couple of month ago and we just said the Discord is not for political discussion. I'm sure in the next podcast Tom will say something supporting BLM, but allowing political discussion in every forum possible just gives more voice (not the Bernie Sanders person of course but others) for hate.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Does shutting down voices you ostensibly support somehow lower the volume of the hate spewed by what feels like nearly everyone else?

You have a platform, and while it is absolutely your choice how to use it, I feel weird and mansplainy pointing out that just because a thing is uncomfortable to face doesn't make it any less a problem, nor does quieting voices that clearly want to talk about something make those voices cease to exist.

Well, maybe for you, hahaha!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

What do you think Octavian ought to have done?

Leave RSP as is? Hire moderators for it? Something else?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Moderators. Building things is hard and takes long term, continual effort. Destroying them is easy and you only have to do it once, sometimes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

I feel like BGG might be in that jet engine scenario. Those guys will just find other parts of BGG to be awful on.

There's a strict no RSP rule everywhere outside RSP, though. If those guys start being awful elsewhere then yes, they'll be banned, and nobody will be able to say it's just because Octavian disagrees with their opinions.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Casnorf posted:

Moderators. Building things is hard and takes long term, continual effort. Destroying them is easy and you only have to do it once, sometimes.

Right. So, would you say it's a perfectly valid choice to decide that a particular forum is either unmoderatable or too expensive/difficult to moderate?

That's happened multiple times right here on these very awful forums, in fact!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jedit posted:

There's a strict no RSP rule everywhere outside RSP, though. If those guys start being awful elsewhere then yes, they'll be banned

maybe in writing but not in practice. bgg is awful.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Jedit posted:

There's a strict no RSP rule everywhere outside RSP, though. If those guys start being awful elsewhere then yes, they'll be banned, and nobody will be able to say it's just because Octavian disagrees with their opinions.

The issue is that those views are not strictly relegated to just 'political views.' Those views shape how they interact with the entire world at large, including the rest of the board game geek website. You don't have to say that you are a libertarian or whatever to shut down POC (or women, or LGBT+, etc) through other oppressive means and actions that slip through the cracks as benign 'opinions'.

I forgot who said it here or in the Discord, but the issue with saying that BLM is a political statement is that it relegated all of the issues that it encompasses to merely a difference of opinions. It holds my ignorance and hatred as equal to your equality and compassion in such a way that it removes any expectations for improvement or criticism. We have seen that passive action allows for malicious, both intentional and non intentional, forces to exert exclusive power.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

maybe in writing but not in practice. bgg is awful.

I think in the BLM thread they are trying to show they will be better. We'll see though because yes, in the past their moderation has been terrible and I've complained about it many times.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

silvergoose posted:

Right. So, would you say it's a perfectly valid choice to decide that a particular forum is either unmoderatable or too expensive/difficult to moderate?

That's happened multiple times right here on these very awful forums, in fact!

If you've reached the point that cutting your losses is a reasonable course of action you have already lost command of your community.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Casnorf posted:

If you've reached the point that cutting your losses is a reasonable course of action you have already lost command of your community.

I mean, that's a fair description of how the fyad poo poo went down, sure.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Bellmaker posted:

22's map is strange. It's pretty lopsided as some companies are S-tier (LBSR aka Lobster, L&YR) and some are miserable (Caledonian, SeWeR), but auctions and the minors help balance it out.

MX has:

-more balanced companies that all have benefits/drawbacks, but nothing overtuned like LNWR (10% presidency AND the dit is just cruel)
-destinations are still good but definitely toned down
-build cube mechanic (spend tempo instead of money for terrain), which can really change how track is built each game
-NdeM (instead of exporting trains/minors they get used by this National company, anyone with shares can lay track for them (or usually as a building buddy for your real company), can triple/quad/etc. jump, goes away with 7/E trains and it's stations can be bought in auctions by your companies with E trains(hopefully!))

22MRS is superior to base 22 IMO, but 22MX is really good. Haven't played 22CA yet.

The LNWR is probably the 2nd or 3rd best company on the map and there are plenty of ways to mitigate the town once it outlives its early game usefulness (it's pretty useful to have a nice easy 2 run for 50-70 early game). Agree that the LBSC and LYR are excellent while the Caledonian is woeful. The SWR should be played like the Midland - you pretend you don't have a destination and just bee-line for Birmingham and use that as your home. It's still not great but not irredeemably awful.

But MX has two really S-tier companies, that being FNM And IRM - anything with a destination within 2 or 3 hexes is pretty loving busted IMO, especially when their home is the highest value home on the board. CHP is really awkward and the terrain between FCP's home and its destination don't help it either.

I think 22CA has the best balance between companies, with all except the two Maritime majors being somewhat viable (The Sawmill really saves the QMOO and the PGE). And if you can get the maritime majors to work (with the Quebec City upgrade private for ICR and, I guess, super late game with NTR), they're great. 22CA is probably my 22 branch game of choice. The sore thumb is the waayyyyyyyyyyy overtuned GNWR, but everyone else has a combination of either a good destination, far away, (or at least awkward to get to in some way) or an OK but much closer destination.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
BGG directly financially supports my literal top two board gaming content creators: Rodney and Chaz. When that happened, I still could not bring myself to financially support BGG because the community is such garbo. It's nice to know that Aldie isn't secret fash or something, but I hope this is followed up with something like "Here is how we de-nazi the geek."

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I support it because it's pretty cheap ($15) and it's saved me way more than that in either buying used games or being able to not buy games that looked good up front. I use the geekbuddy analysis extensively to figure out what people who like the games I like think about a game I'm considering. I used to sell more on BGG but not so much because I got better prices at cons. Who knows when the LA cons will happen again so I'll probably go back to selling on BGG. They get 1.9M visitors a month and even though of course just a few will look at the games I'm selling, that's still a good number.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Casnorf posted:

Yes, which is almost word for word the justification for bgg shutting down that subforum.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, my thoughts are that it can both be the correct move and damning of the community and their management. The problem I have is that they absolutely don't do anything to stop terrible behavior around the site and there are all kinds of gross, creepy, and lovely people being openly so all over the place. It's still a useful resource and database, but the less you engage with the general userbase on there the better (much like SA and Reddit, which have similar problems).

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

tomdidiot posted:

The LNWR is probably the 2nd or 3rd best company on the map and there are plenty of ways to mitigate the town once it outlives its early game usefulness (it's pretty useful to have a nice easy 2 run for 50-70 early game). Agree that the LBSC and LYR are excellent while the Caledonian is woeful. The SWR should be played like the Midland - you pretend you don't have a destination and just bee-line for Birmingham and use that as your home. It's still not great but not irredeemably awful.

But MX has two really S-tier companies, that being FNM And IRM - anything with a destination within 2 or 3 hexes is pretty loving busted IMO, especially when their home is the highest value home on the board. CHP is really awkward and the terrain between FCP's home and its destination don't help it either.

I think 22CA has the best balance between companies, with all except the two Maritime majors being somewhat viable (The Sawmill really saves the QMOO and the PGE). And if you can get the maritime majors to work (with the Quebec City upgrade private for ICR and, I guess, super late game with NTR), they're great. 22CA is probably my 22 branch game of choice. The sore thumb is the waayyyyyyyyyyy overtuned GNWR, but everyone else has a combination of either a good destination, far away, (or at least awkward to get to in some way) or an OK but much closer destination.

FNM has awkwardness starting up because of the M18 in the way, and IRM has the $80 mountain in the way which is a pain early on. NdeM starting in 17 makes IRM miserable.

Later on they are quite strong I won't deny that, but they both take some time to get going. FCP just needs a minor to help lay the track like the 9,11, or 13 while it hits the northeast (fun times with a 3 and pullman can be had). CHP is probably the weakest company but it is very flexible. It can have fun by heading to Los Mochis and adding a port, playing ball with the FCP, or ignoring both and hooking up with the MIR.

The LNWR is stronger in base 22, in MRS it feels worse. The 10% presidency hurts flexibility starting the company (parring less than 100 costs you share value and company money) and the lower share density sucks.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

What did the first version of the new Kemet sphinx look like? Google isn't helping.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Safety Biscuits posted:

What did the first version of the new Kemet sphinx look like? Google isn't helping.

It was a creature with the body of a lion and the face of a lion, but with wings, huge human boobs and wearing a tiara.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

CaptainRightful posted:

It was a creature with the body of a lion and the face of a lion, but with wings, huge human boobs and wearing a tiara.
That's so... Greek.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

Thanks. I was expecting a Greek-style sphinx but this is just stupid - those wings are connecting in front of the forelegs, and wtf is up with the tail? And those neck rings...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Yeah... A belly button on armour looks way less silly by comparison now.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

lol if you don’t beat off to Sphinx titties :smug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SelenicMartian posted:

Yeah... A belly button on armour looks way less silly by comparison now.

Especially when the Greeks actually did sculpt armour that way.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Greeks were weird.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

big tiddy thoth girlfriend

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

For what it's worth they did change that and Cthulu when a bunch of people said "lol no this sucks".

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Looking at the upcoming 1861/1867 reprint rules, I see:

"Major Company Dividends: Divide distributed earnings by 10 and pay this amount per share to each shareholder. Shares in the Bank Pool do not receive dividends."

Where do the BP share dividends go then? Does the company keep them in addition to charter share dividends? Do I put them under the table?

No, I've never played an 18xx before.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

That portion of the dividends doesn't get paid out. I guess technically you can consider the bank to be paying itself in that case?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Crackbone posted:

For what it's worth they did change that and Cthulu when a bunch of people said "lol no this sucks".

Did they also give Cthulhu big yabbos that would induce madness in humanity.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

SilverMike posted:

That portion of the dividends doesn't get paid out. I guess technically you can consider the bank to be paying itself in that case?
Ah, I get it. You first calculate the revenues, then decide whether you share, and then reach for the money for the shares in play.

That aside, the rules seems really simple.

Morpheus posted:

Did they also give Cthulhu big yabbos that would induce madness in humanity.
They're getting rid of Cthulhu altogether.

There still may be cat tits and snake tits!

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/5251795/kemet-blood-and-sand

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/5251797/kemet-blood-and-sand

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 7, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

big tiddy thoth girlfriend

I will not rename the Boardgame thread..
I will not rename the Boardgame thread..

Girls, rub on your sssnitties!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Mojo Jojo posted:

Yes, which is almost word for word the justification for bgg shutting down that subforum.

Well, it's hard to take it back, isn't it? Guess being hard to do something is a good reason not to do it whether it's the right thing or not. Don't know where that sort of attitude might cause long-term problems.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Casnorf posted:

Well, it's hard to take it back, isn't it? Guess being hard to do something is a good reason not to do it whether it's the right thing or not. Don't know where that sort of attitude might cause long-term problems.

Do you have a specific interest in RSP? Or do you just object to forums getting rid of toxic spaces because of free speech concerns?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

silvergoose posted:

Do you have a specific interest in RSP? Or do you just object to forums getting rid of toxic spaces because of free speech concerns?

I have an interest in methodology. It interests me that your assumption seems to be about who I am and whether I'm an enemy. It's not that binary. I'm human, just like you, not some anonymous set of words on a forum. I think stuff and I feel stuff, and I have capital-O opinions about community-building and the responsibility that comes with it. I have an interest in systems and systems integration, which I think is a common trait of anyone who participates in this thread, and the general application of small-scale rulesets and how those scale up might be useful in a lot of other ways that might not be immediately obvious. I think a general idea of incentivization is a much better way to induce behavior than punishment of unwanted behavior, though both have their applications. And, most importantly, I want to know how other people think and feel about these ideas and whether they're interested in putting them into practice.

Destroying things is a lot easier than building them, but if you build something and acknowledge your responsibility toward maintaining it, it has a chance to last forever.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

don't male snakes have two wangs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Casnorf posted:

don't male snakes have two wangs