Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Yeah I always interpreted that scene as Tifa realising her panties are visible, mainly because the Japanese are so obsessed with ladies panties I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Jesus christ that's the worst snipe I've ever seen.

To try and get as far away from that topic as possible, I only realised on the hard playthrough that the entire housing district Jessie's parents live in got dropped when the plate fell. I wonder if they survived (depends if they got a Name or not, with all the plot armour that bestows), or if Shinra managed any sort of evacuation.

Also were people disappointed that Roche never showed up again after Jessie's parents chapter? I had assumed he'd be a big part of the second bike chase, since he acts like a recurring villain but nada. Nomura subverting my expectations or did they just run out of time?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

To try and get as far away from that topic as possible, I only realised on the hard playthrough that the entire housing district Jessie's parents live in got dropped when the plate fell. I wonder if they survived (depends if they got a Name or not, with all the plot armour that bestows), or if Shinra managed any sort of evacuation.

Also were people disappointed that Roche never showed up again after Jessie's parents chapter? I had assumed he'd be a big part of the second bike chase, since he acts like a recurring villain but nada. Nomura subverting my expectations or did they just run out of time?

That whole chapter featured a lot of things that seemed like set up for something down the line but then just disappeared. Like, we never found out why the other Avalanche cell were raiding the warehouse or what went on there. We sort of got a little followup to the idea that Wedge has some sort of relationship with them with his appearance in the Shinra building later, but even then it seems like there was a lot going on "off camera" there.

At first I figured they were leaving some sort of space for a Roche/Avalanche DLC of some kind but I guess it was just stuff they didn't have time for. Maybe they'll follow up on it with whatever they're saving Biggs for in part 2?

Or just have Roche show up to race Cloud on a Chocobo during the Midgar Zolom sequence. That'd kick rear end too.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Marmaduke! posted:

Jessie's dad is a Shinra employee who is in a catatonic state due to extreme mako poisioning. I doubt even Shinra are that evil that they'd just drop him into Sector 7.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Jessie's dad is a Shinra employee who is in a catatonic state due to extreme mako poisioning. I doubt even Shinra are that evil that they'd just drop him into Sector 7.

President ShinRa explicitly forbids Reeve from ordering an evacuation so uh

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Cavelcade posted:

President ShinRa explicitly forbids Reeve from ordering an evacuation so uh

I thought that was referring to the slum residents, not the upper plate residents.

Though thinking about it the whole plate dropping thing is to frame AVALANCHE isn't it, why would they evacuate anyone :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

I thought that was referring to the slum residents, not the upper plate residents.

Though thinking about it the whole plate dropping thing is to frame AVALANCHE isn't it, why would they evacuate anyone :(

You actually see it happening. The scene with President Shinra watching (and Cait Sith falling to the ground in despair) is the upper part.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Nestle would be like, drop ALL of the plates. And then sell contaminated materia to pregnant people.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I think I caught Reeve saying he estimated 50000 casualties but I was distracted during that exact scene in case anyone remembers it better than me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Marmaduke! posted:

I think I caught Reeve saying he estimated 50000 casualties but I was distracted during that exact scene in case anyone remembers it better than me.

He said that the slums alone contain 50,000, and is about to launch into more, before he's cut off. He then asks to at least issue an evacuation and is told "Nope" In the original, you also clearly see people atop the plate when it falls.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Shinra is definitely evil enough to kill both the top side residents and the slums and blame the whole thing on a Avalanche/Wutai conspiracy and the game is not even subtle about it.

And there are plenty of real world examples of governments willing to murder their own citizens and then blame some adversarial “other” for it.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Shinra definitely sacrificed the plate people. I didnt read "on the way to a smile" but one of the kids from that side story, who was also in AC, lived on the plate and his parents died when it fell. His Dad worked at Shinra and somehow found out about their plan to drop the plate but him and his wife died trying to warn their neighbors. Cant imagine it's any different in FF7R.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Onmi posted:

He said that the slums alone contain 50,000, and is about to launch into more, before he's cut off.

Thanks, glad that I got the gist of the scene at least. I was slightly disappointed that the makers still couldn't scale up Midgar properly, it seems a good megacity in the first part of the intro, when you're on the highway and with the 10000 scale model (which translates to a diameter of around 50 km!), but the in-game parts just don't hit that. It's particularly bad in the sun-lamp section, looking down the slums are just a few hundred boring shacks. Why didn't they go for a real slum feel, buildings built on top of each other to try and reach the plate, high rises, tons of streets (I don't care if there's nothing real in them, just procedurally generate them if you want!)...

Still, at least I know Jessie's dad survived, since he has a name: Roman Rasberry. Would have made a great wrestler name too!

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
For what it's worth, Wedge and Aerith apparently organized enough of an evacuation of the slums, at least, that Corneo considers the death count of the false flag operation a failure. Hey, we made things better!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Well that final Whispers battle on Hard is certainly some poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

Everything happened so quickly once we found out they were going to drop the plate and then we got out of the sewers. I'd like to think that Jesse called her parents and told them what was happening and they did their best to evacuate but I only remember like 3 phones in the entire game and they were all cell phones. I don't even know if the slums have any. So they could say, 'we called people and told them what was happening and some people up top also survived- also this is Final Fantasy 7, there is no fall damage- but I have no way of knowing that for sure.

Marmaduke! posted:

YES I AM BUT IT'S FINE.

I GUESS HE'LL JUST HAVE TO SHOW UP 30 HOURS INTO PART TWO ON AN AIRSHIP OF HIS OWN!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

Well that final Whispers battle on Hard is certainly some poo poo.

Yeah they don't let up on attacking over and over. Counterstance and switching characters often got me through it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The answer turned out to be surprisingly obvious: You can face-tank a whole lot of poo poo when Aerith can Magnify Curaga the squad back to full health.

The fight seems to be balanced around the expectation that you will in fact be doing exactly that because jesus christ

anyway now Sephiroth is balling up Cloud and dribbling him like a basketball so idk I'll finish this off another day. But it's quite challenging because loving Barret is showing up and a ranged tank is just completely useless in that fight. Maybe it prioritizes the squad members with the highest remaining MP?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

The answer turned out to be surprisingly obvious: You can face-tank a whole lot of poo poo when Aerith can Magnify Curaga the squad back to full health.

The fight seems to be balanced around the expectation that you will in fact be doing exactly that because jesus christ

anyway now Sephiroth is balling up Cloud and dribbling him like a basketball so idk I'll finish this off another day. But it's quite challenging because loving Barret is showing up and a ranged tank is just completely useless in that fight. Maybe it prioritizes the squad members with the highest remaining MP?

It prioritizes whoever you built the most affinity with over the game afaik.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There's an Affection System at play, like the original game and the Gold Saucer dates. I believe the person jumping in rolls off of that, it could be Barret/Tifa/Aerith depending on who likes you

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Who you get in the Seph fight only depends on who took actions and killed whispers in the previous fight. Killing Whisper Bahamut is worth a lot of points on that.

The affection meter only affects who you see in chapter 14 as far as I know.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Slotting in Elemental to your armor helps a lot in the final series of battles.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Cavelcade posted:

Who you get in the Seph fight only depends on who took actions and killed whispers in the previous fight. Killing Whisper Bahamut is worth a lot of points on that.

The affection meter only affects who you see in chapter 14 as far as I know.

Yes, this is correct. It's basically dependent on who you used more ATB bars with, if anyone cast a limit, and if either of Aerith/Tifa finished off Whisper Bahamut or Harbinger (killing Whisper Harbinger should be an easy way to get points on a character you want that isn't Barret). Seems like the points are heavily weighted to get Aerith in the last fight:

https://game8.co/games/Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake/archives/286731

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
In my normal run Tifa and Aerith joined in the final fight and I just assumed that this is how it goes. Then in my hardmode run I planned the whole materia loadout for that pairing only to have Tifa and Barret join. Took a while to adjust but I made do with Barret. I did NOT want to do the whole Whispers fight again ...

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Did the whisper fight on hard last night and it wasn't so bad. Just focus on one at a time and pick your spots. Did a lot of blocking but that fills your atb a ton with steadfast block on everyone. Once they stop attacking for a second let loose with barret or aerith and then follow up with cloud and tifa when they get pressured. The only problem I had is when both Aerith and Tifa had both of their prayers interrupted which left me with no hp and atb and put me in a death spiral, which I managed to climb out of. Man that was really annoying though. For whisper bahamut cloud had a limit qeued up so I just beat the poo poo out of him.

Hard mode was fun and a decent challenge (without that accessory that breaks the game). Mp management wasn't so bad. Doing most of the side quests again sucked. But you only need to do that for achievements.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Silly question but does the party level up when they're not in the team? Cos I haven't even had Aeris in my team in hard mode yet and she's level 50...

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Marmaduke! posted:

Silly question but does the party level up when they're not in the team? Cos I haven't even had Aeris in my team in hard mode yet and she's level 50...

Just like in the original game, yes they do. They also gain SP even if they're not in your party, which does feel a bit like cheating to be honest.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Dell_Zincht posted:

Just like in the original game, yes they do. They also gain SP even if they're not in your party, which does feel a bit like cheating to be honest.

Leveling and not gaining SP would be pretty unfortunate, since if that happened you would never be able to hit the SP cap.

Basically it turns out that when an RPG says 3/4 of the way through the game "hey you have to use this character you didn't like much" and they're 50 levels behind the main party it's not a whole lot of fun.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
I think this was asked earlier on in the thread, but is it mentioned/calculated how many days the plot of Remake takes place over?

As I recall, you join on Day 1 (Reactor bombing) then sleep in Sector 7.
Day 2 is helping around Sector 7 plus Jessie stuff.
Day 3 is No. 5 Reactor, meet Aeris etc..
Day 4 you sneak out, Wall Market and I don't think we ever sleep through a night again after that.
But I think Day 5 is after plate-fall, with the game ending that night, right?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

gredgie posted:

I think this was asked earlier on in the thread, but is it mentioned/calculated how many days the plot of Remake takes place over?

As I recall, you join on Day 1 (Reactor bombing) then sleep in Sector 7.
Day 2 is helping around Sector 7 plus Jessie stuff.
Day 3 is No. 5 Reactor, meet Aeris etc..
Day 4 you sneak out, Wall Market and I don't think we ever sleep through a night again after that.
But I think Day 5 is after plate-fall, with the game ending that night, right?

Night 1: Chapters 1-3
Day 2: Chapter 3
Night 2: Chapter 4
Day 3: Chapters 5-8
Night 3: Chapters 9-14
Day 4: Chapter 14-15
Night 4: Chapters 16-18

Game ending is on the following morning since the ending cutscene is already showing daylight.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Is it just me or are recent events making parts of the game feel eerily relevant to real life?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's not just you, I've also seen hooded figures swarming around nearby buildings that the people around me insist aren't there and calling me crazy, a drug addict etc.

Stay safe out there man

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

shinra isnt nearly evil enough

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

Is it just me or are recent events making parts of the game feel eerily relevant to real life?

Sephiroth does appear to me in my dreams on a consistent basis, yes.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

sharrrk posted:

shinra isnt nearly evil enough

But we don’t have a Guy spliced with eldtirtch horror genes being worshiped as a war hero/soldier of fortune yet. Once we have a Sephiroth expy, then we should be worried.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

Sephiroth does appear to me in my dreams on a consistent basis, yes.

I was thinking of Paw Patrol in reference to Stamp but you do you, you crazy diamond.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Flopsy posted:

:pwn:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't tell if I want them to go goofy with Sephiroth or keep him serious and dangerous like they've been doing.

But on the one hand, Sephiroth in a hairnet appearing in a food truck handing Cloud a burger.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

RareAcumen posted:

Can't tell if I want them to go goofy with Sephiroth or keep him serious and dangerous like they've been doing.

But on the one hand, Sephiroth in a hairnet appearing in a food truck handing Cloud a burger.

Sephiroth eventually just like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I hope they keep the scene in the mansion where he chucks materia at cloud and then peaces out by doing a sick flip and then flying away

except they should make it even more ridiculous