Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

TERFs: they are trying to erase women as a group by saying 'people who menstruate' words exist for a reason and those biologically accurate words must be used
Also TERFs: don't call me cis this is misogyny

I think you mean CIS. Because apparently it's an acronym or something :confused:

Edit: I have reminded these kittens that I expect them to live to a combined age of at least 36, or else

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Flips sign saying CIS to USSR.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
if one look at the names of intellectuals who make up even very recent UK feminist campaigns - No More Page Three in 2012 (which succeeded), the consultation on Nordic model prohibition of sex work around 2015ish (which did not) - one finds many institutionally-linked feminists on the TERF side of the ravine

these are activists whose full-time careers are being an activist/consultant/writer/advisor/etc. - they have a great deal of time to expend on campaigns like this, and their influence can be quietly pervasive (by e.g. writing template codes of conduct)

their counter-campaign is mobilising relatively late... back in the mid 2015s there was already an establishment consensus on the inevitability of self-ID; when the Women and Equalities Select Committee issued its report in 2016 the expectation was of a quiet nod-through, somewhat like gay marriage, with the bulk of opposition coming from the Tory flank (the mirror image of hippie-punching for credibility. Wingnut-punching? Swivel-eye-punching? You tell me). There's a trans community of civil-social groups and activists who would have applauded whatever went through. Ministers did not expect a swathe of feminists to flip out as they have proceeded to do

in the polling self-ID does not do well and bringing this question "to the people" dooms the push for self-ID... I wouldn't expect much actual movement in policy but a great deal of public sound and fury seems likely given the incentives

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CIS are the separatists in the prequel trilogy aren't they?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

So what I'm hearing is Transalpine Gaul isn't true Gaul, and that only Cisalpine Gaul can be considered that?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Remember that the only correct response to terfs is “shut the gently caress up, you loving terf”.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

CIS are the separatists in the prequel trilogy aren't they?

Confederation of Independent Systems, yes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
let it not be said trolling on the SA forums can have wider effects

https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1268955993339301890

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

So what I'm hearing is Transalpine Gaul isn't true Gaul, and that only Cisalpine Gaul can be considered that?

asterix says trans rights

e:ok i looked up where transalpine gaul actually was and i can't tell if it actually includes where Asterix was but i guess he would still be happy if the romans left them alone too so sure

Angepain fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 7, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

if one look at the names of intellectuals who make up even very recent UK feminist campaigns - No More Page Three in 2012 (which succeeded), the consultation on Nordic model prohibition of sex work around 2015ish (which did not) - one finds many institutionally-linked feminists on the TERF side of the ravine

these are activists whose full-time careers are being an activist/consultant/writer/advisor/etc. - they have a great deal of time to expend on campaigns like this, and their influence can be quietly pervasive (by e.g. writing template codes of conduct)
Speaking of people who menstruate, I'm reminded of some analogies in period dialogue around the early 00s. There was a movement of some esteemed gynecologists including Elsimar Coutinho, the pioneer of depo provera, young urban professional businesswomen, and whatever you'd call the generation of feminists that were in their late teens and early 20s in '98-01 that we can finally get rid of menstruation as a medical lifestyle choice and this would be very liberating for women and reduce the risk of breast and ovarian cancers and it'll come in a spray and this is all very exciting.

Then the Greer era women's lib wing came out swinging that they want to chemically castrate our precious little girls and we have no idea of what the long term effects are and menstruating is a natural and glorious part of being a woman, then some planes hit a building and the whole thing wasn't talked about for a while, but the whole thing is eerily reminiscent of the way the terves are talking about trans boys now.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The whole ;people who menstruate' argument is made nonsense simply by loving AGING.

Hell, JKR herself must be approaching the menopause. Does she stop being a woman when she goes through it?!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or more specifically, do you stop when you're pregnant? Do you stop for three weeks of the month?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You get mad about 'pregnant people' instead of 'people who menstruate' for 9 months.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1269585418099609600?s=20

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of people who menstruate, I'm reminded of some analogies in period dialogue around the early 00s. There was a movement of some esteemed gynecologists including Elsimar Coutinho, the pioneer of depo provera, young urban professional businesswomen, and whatever you'd call the generation of feminists that were in their late teens and early 20s in '98-01 that we can finally get rid of menstruation as a medical lifestyle choice and this would be very liberating for women and reduce the risk of breast and ovarian cancers and it'll come in a spray and this is all very exciting.

Then the Greer era women's lib wing came out swinging that they want to chemically castrate our precious little girls and we have no idea of what the long term effects are and menstruating is a natural and glorious part of being a woman, then some planes hit a building and the whole thing wasn't talked about for a while, but the whole thing is eerily reminiscent of the way the terves are talking about trans boys now.

This sounds a lot like the rationale for having a placebo week in the pill, as per this explanation:

quote:

John Rock, the gynecologist who helped develop the birth control pill and a devout Catholic, created the break because he hoped the Pope would approve, professor John Guillebaud told the Telegraph.

“Rock thought if it did imitate the natural cycle, then the Pope would accept it,” Guillebaud told the British newspaper. “When his campaign to get the pill accepted by the Pope failed, he just simply stopped being a Catholic, having been a committed one for his entire life.”

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Guavanaut posted:

Even before I realised I was a tran this particular strain of feminism was so loving frustrating to me! There was a period (har) from when I was 12 until I was 16 or so where I got menstrual migraines every month and it was loving miserable. It's a really bizarre contradiction where they'll tell trans women they can't know women's suffering because they don't bleed but then anything that might lessen that suffering is also bad. gently caress 'em, in short.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The biggest irony is that it's the RadFems who started off on the fight for birth control and safe access to abortion who are now in the same place as the TradCaths on trans rights and menstrual suppression and don't see that as a warning sign.

Cerv posted:

undoubtably
if I could ban headlines as a concept I would

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/They_Goblin/status/1269596895514636289?s=19

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

It didn't all go terribly for the Greer second-wave wing over time; in some ways today's feminism synthesizes some elements from the second and third waves both

the early part of the tens featured campaigns that both camps could broadly agree on - remember SlutWalk, catcalling, manspreading, etc. - all extremely gendered in nature. The underlying tension was never quite addressed though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

No new covid deaths in NI or scotland assuming they're not fudging the numbers

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

exact wording here

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1269552370415022089?s=20

lol i just learned she's one of the numerous politicians wiht a marxist parent who is a big letdown

if she said "i dont know personally whether trump is racist" itd be stupid but okay, saying "i have no idea" about trump in 2020 makes her sound like she has no ideas about anything lol

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Colston statue has been pulled down in Bristol, apparently

https://twitter.com/AlAviram/status/1269625718662664193?s=19

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 7, 2020

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
https://twitter.com/NWJK/status/1269628544281387008

Slavery was legal back then? Well that changes everything!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

They need to get rid of that Nazi MP's one as well.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

escapegoat posted:

couldnt even get through one tweet without their true colours showing

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, in a new [topic]chat, it turns out that with all this extra time at home, i've come to realise that the TV in my living room isn't the right size for how we're using it.

We're basically sitting too far away (or my eyes are getting worse) and the furniture we've got doesn't really work well for shifting things about to put us closer to it (either we or the TV would sit in the middle of the room).

I'm seeing 70"+ TV's for the same price i paid for my current one back when i got it about 8 years ago so i figure i might as well make the jump to something ridiclous and stop straining to read things for the next 8 years.

My question, where the gently caress do i go in the UK to get a decent priced TV stand for something that big? Everywhere i look seems to want like £200+ for what's essentially a hollow wooden box with a couple of shelves in it.

Kin fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 7, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My stand is Argos flatpack, but it's for a much smaller set than that (but an oldish plasma so probably about the weight of a new 70" LED).

For something that size you might want to look at VESA brackets with some kind of pole mount, then put a normal shelving box in front of the pole stand, depending on what other media stuff you've got and how your room is arranged.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You might be out of luck there. For a TV that bulky you're going to need something well made out of actual wood rather than Ikea chipboard, and real furniture is expensive, basically.

e: That said, this one is going for £125 currently: https://www.wayfair.co.uk/furniture/pdp/brayden-studio-gemini-tv-stand-mvox1665.html?piid=25294174

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 7, 2020

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

It's a very new law and I've no idea what kind of precedents have been set based on it. It does contain the line "B is under 16 and A does not reasonably believe that B is 16 or over" which does imply the necessary existence of a child even for the messaging only offence.

The way that seems to be interpreted in some US states with similar laws is "could a minor have access to that message", so if B is 40 and contacts A claiming to be 13, and A, believing that B is 13, sends messages or images of a sexual nature, and C, who is B's 13 year old daughter is also a person who can access that computer, it's ruled that A is still noncing, but idk what happens where there's no real child at all even by proxy.

Picking up this up from yesterday because it's one of the best bits of criminal law there is - even if the offence cannot be complete without an actual child being involved somehow, you can certainly attempt the offence if you have the necessary mens rea; it's a long-held principle that you can attempt the impossible.

A pickpocket who dips his hand into your empty pocket commits attempted theft even though there's nothing there to steal; a man who gives you talcum powder while believing it's cocaine has attempted to supply drugs; a man who hits your corpse in the head, believing you to still be alive, and intending to kill you, commits attempted murder even though the victim is already dead.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I dunno, I've got Kallax units from Ikea that are full of books and even the individual shelves ain't bending. I think you'd be fine sticking a TV on there (mine's on one, though I don't think it's 70" plus) and the shelves are handy for storing your DVDs and Playstation.

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 7, 2020

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Picking up this up from yesterday because it's one of the best bits of criminal law there is - even if the offence cannot be complete without an actual child being involved somehow, you can certainly attempt the offence if you have the necessary mens rea; it's a long-held principle that you can attempt the impossible.

A pickpocket who dips his hand into your empty pocket commits attempted theft even though there's nothing there to steal; a man who gives you talcum powder while believing it's cocaine has attempted to supply drugs; a man who hits your corpse in the head, believing you to still be alive, and intending to kill you, commits attempted murder even though the victim is already dead.

That makes some sense. So the attempt to meet up with a 13 year old was there even if the child wasn't.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

escapegoat posted:

hell yeah, gently caress racist poo poo. rip it all down.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

hemale in pain posted:

hell yeah, gently caress racist poo poo. rip it all down.

Currently being rolled towards the river.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I know it's an overplayed meme, but:

Haha, BLM go brrrrrrrr.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

sebzilla posted:

Wasn't most of the old buildings in Bristol made by forced slavery?
I remember reading at least one town in the UK has a poo poo ton of slave built government buildings,

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 7, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Certainly a lot of them were paid for by slaver profits.

The statue's on Colston street in front of a huge Colston [music] Hall and next to a colston office complex.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Nice, recast it into a bronze piss trough.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/boringdystopian/status/1269639110647521281?s=20
https://twitter.com/boringdystopian/status/1269643323532292096?s=20

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

sinky posted:

Nice, recast it into a bronze piss trough.

I like this idea. Could tackle the problem of uncontrolled public urination (piss) maybe