Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

endlessmonotony posted:

You're misinterpreting the data.

We know it clears from your system but we don't know what the immunity is like.

yeah we do. short to midterm immunity has been shown monkeys and there's also this: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/t-cells-found-covid-19-patients-bode-well-long-term-immunity which is good because you stop making antibodies after a few years

what isn't known is the long term duration. but that's less important after a vaccine is developed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I can take a little bit of happiness from symbolic gestures.

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1269644825617408007

:unsmith:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

bow tie wearing history majors shed a tear for a slaver

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Next up: Cecil Rhodes.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

prefect posted:

for context, this was a status of slave trader Edward Colston in Bristol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I know history happens when it happens and the current protests are well overdue, but I can't stop thinking about how large and dense those crowds are and how few of them have masks on.

Doesn't seem good.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

multijoe posted:

I know history happens when it happens and the current protests are well overdue, but I can't stop thinking about how large and dense those crowds are and how few of them have masks on.

Doesn't seem good.

domcum is getting his herd immunity strategy!!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

multijoe posted:

Doesn't seem good.

yeah its gonna be bad, unless we get lucky and roni doesnt work outdoors then a lot of good people are gonna get roni and pass it on to an unholy shitload more people, particularly the BAME community who are already suffering the effects worse than others because of our racist state

it also gives the tories a completely obvious way to avoid blame for any second wave/contiuation of the first wave since the plague is falling along culture war lines. they just blame it on hypocritical lefties and dangerous PoCs
its pretty safe since BAME voters dont really have anywhere to go anymore after labour threw Abbot and Butler under a bus

shits gonna get real bad in the UK, things are coming to a head, and the path of least resistance is to fascism

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

prefect posted:

That's Pero's Bridge on the right that they dragged the statue over to, named for "Pero Jones, who lived from around 1753 to 1798, arriving in Bristol probably from the Caribbean Island of Nevis in 1783, as the slave of the merchant John Pinney"

I've already seen this event unironically compared to ISIS' destruction of historical monuments, so the comments everywhere should be fun for a while.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

do y'all still have a little slavery or is that just us

looking forward to when this happens to actual living slavemongers

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

this city has buildings named after the wanker all over the place and a lot of local charities and groups are more or less owned by the "society of merchant venturers" who were well into slavery back in the day. They're guaranteed seats on various committees, and so on.

also the local tory MP's family runs an ice cream business that got done for modern slavery last year, but the owner got off because he was very old.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

There was never a huge amount of actual slavery in the UK itself. We just profited massively from all the slavery overseas. The part of the triangular trade that touched home was the goods in goods out part, so all the death and suffering was comfortably at arms length.

e: a lot of the people who profited are the ancestors of the people who currently run the country.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Bristol march was good and achieved a symbolic but tangible victory so quit whining.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Doc Hawkins posted:

Slavery in the UK was complex. It was slowly stamped out after the Norman Conquest in England to a point where by 1200 there was no slavery in the British isles. But there's huge caveats on this like do you consider serfdom a form of slavery, and even still there's the case of coal miners in Scotland. In 1606 there was a law passed, the Act of Anent Coalyers and Salters, that bound miners to their "master". The 2 Acts of Parliament that replaced it explicitly said "many colliers and salters are in a state of slavery and bondage". The first allowed the miners to buy their freedom, the 2nd 14 years later in 1799 just freed them all.

In English law there were 2 cases, the Cartwright case in 1569 & Somersett's case in 1772 which declared there was no basis for slavery in common law. But what'd just happen is that shiteheads from the colonies would take their slaves back to Britain & just make them sign declarations that they were actually indentured servants which is such a ridiculously British thing. Because it allows people to kid on that while we profited hugely from the slave trade at least we didn't allow slavery here, as if that was somehow in anyway acceptable.

The 3 big west coast cities, Bristol, Liverpool & Glasgow, are all built off the back of the slave trade. If you walk through Glasgow city centre you come north across the bridge & you're onto Jamaica Street. The Gallery of Modern Art is at the end of Ingram Street, named after a guy involved in the import of tobacco. He imported the tobacco from the plantation of his brother-in-law, who Glassford Street is named after. The GoMA is the former mansion of William Cunninghame, who made rakes of money buying up tobacco in the run up to the War of American Independence, having read the room & decided that rebellion was likely. After the rebellion he was able to sell it at inflated prices. Buchanan Street is named after another of the Tobacco Lords & is the busiest shopping street in Scotland. The Tobacco Lords liked lending credit to American farmers and then when the harvest came in basically robbing them blind by forcing to accept low prices. So they weren't just lovely to the slaves, at least 2 Founding Fathers had the pleasure of being robbed by them, Washington & Jefferson.

loving great country. Unsurprisingly not part of Scottish or British history they taught when I was in school.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
it's a shame, covid is really hitting shops hard, especially on the edge of the shopping district. Whiteladies Road is mostly doing OK, but up on the top end at Blackboy Hill it's going to be wrecked. I don't know if those retailers are going to survive.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

90s Cringe Rock posted:

it's a shame, covid is really hitting shops hard, especially on the edge of the shopping district. Whiteladies Road is mostly doing OK, but up on the top end at Blackboy Hill it's going to be wrecked. I don't know if those retailers are going to survive.

oh my god they're real places

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

90s Cringe Rock posted:

By the end of this even the core places are going to get wrecked. On the one hand it's a great opportunity to discuss what we should actually be doing with our city centres and high streets but on the other it'll just increase the sense of decay and desperation in the population in every place it fails.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/LukasMukasPukas/status/1269726763623624704?s=20

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Ah, yes... A graffiti-ed communist symbol is definitely murderous, whereas 3 police murders is just a pretty decent innings all round, nothing can be done about it, really, stop fussing.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

thinking about that cop who went tripping the traffic-light fantastic

did you know the rolling stones song “wild horses” has a section w a I-iii-I-ii chord progression??

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

it's not three killings, it's three shootings

other methods of killing, such as the traditional "beat them to death" so favored by British cops, are not included in the number

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

i say swears online posted:

oh my god they're real places
Apparently those two are probably somewhat not racist, or differently racist and not about slavery.

But the latest big retail development in the centre of town being called the Merchant Quarter didn't go down well and they had to change it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Reminder that the single biggest expenditure in British history was the compensation paid to slaveowners when slavery was abolished

It was still being paid off up until 2015

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

robert peel invented his principles of policing to more effectively occupy ireland

not trying to britsplain, just thought maybe there are other foreigners reading this thread who did not know that

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Reminder that the single biggest expenditure in British history was the compensation paid to slaveowners when slavery was abolished

It was still being paid off up until 2015

this i did not know

why were people not screaming about this every day for our entire lives

you had a slaver's pension

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You can find out who your local slave fund beneficiaries are here...

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/maps/britain/

It's also important to realise they got paid money for the slaves they owned but the slaves of course got nothing.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Doc Hawkins posted:

robert peel invented his principles of policing to more effectively occupy ireland

not trying to britsplain, just thought maybe there are other foreigners reading this thread who did not know that

the usa really is a rank amateur at inventing horrible poo poo to do from its position of power

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

looks like someone had a good Peel Session

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Also worth noting that we first banned the slave trade, not slavery, and then used that as an excuse to raid everyone else's shipping (it was the Napoleonic Wars at the time). Unlike the Spanish and Portuguese we had self-sustaining slave populations (through births) so ending the trade didn't actually reduce slavery in the colonies much at all. In the thirty-five years between banning the trade and actual slavery we absolutely loving coined it.

Obliterati has issued a correction as of 08:27 on Jun 8, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AndyHa_/status/1269759628520435712?s=20

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

redleader posted:

the usa really is a rank amateur at inventing horrible poo poo to do from its position of power
Mid-XIX century the UK passed a law against using little kids in coal mines after two dozen of them had drowned.

The law raised the minimal employment age to ten.____________

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's amazing how despite neither knowing or caring about their past crimes against humanity, the uk is always fuckin' pumped to do more of the same.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Doc Hawkins posted:

Government website promoting farm jobs recently included a disclaimer denying any responsibility and liability if you take one of the jobs and end up enslaved. Take that how you will

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/317608588157800449?s=20

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm glad there is a statue to the good Clarkson. He's the one people should associate (as well as others) with anti-slavery movement, not Wilberforce.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Samovar posted:

I'm glad there is a statue to the good Clarkson. He's the one people should associate (as well as others) with anti-slavery movement, not Wilberforce.

It's quite an impressive sight.

There is a Wilberforce Road in Wisbech, quite close to where I live, but that's it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's amazing how despite neither knowing or caring about their past crimes against humanity, the uk is always fuckin' pumped to do more of the same.

how is this surprising for a nation that wants to make "grenfell" into a verb

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/Staedtler/status/1271007519175999488

brexit flowcharts are back! nature is healing

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

poty posted:

did any of those predict anything like what's happened

like not the pandemic obviously, but in strict brexit terms

also that chap seems uh optimistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

poty posted:

he's already possibly facing a tory rebellion over just how badly he's handled coronavirus. they'll absolutely allow him to take the blame for no deal brexit first though