Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What is ideal gear for the peeps?

I saw somewhere that Dumban is pump agility gems. And Melia is ether. What about the other guys?

Reyn I have just been trying to max defense and add strength. Everyone else I just do a mishmash of whatever seems good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

I have a feeling this is a common opinion:

Heart to hearts are a cool mechanic. But gating them behind grinds and what looks to be end game grinding it a terrible idea. From what I have seen of them, just the first two, they are a good way to do character development. After those first two every single one I have found is unavailable. Also, even when I have six people in my party, half of the ones I have in my queue are empty so I guess all of those will be for the mystery seventh person. Gee, I wonder who that could be. :rolleyes:

Anyway, game would be loads better if you could do the heart to hearts as soon as you get to them, assuming the people are in your party. It's just pointless content gating that seriously detracts from the game. I have a feeling I won't even see most of them because I can't see myself grinding just to see a bunch of 2 minute cut scenes after the credits roll.

Yes I'm having this issue too. I find it odd that I have most(?) of the characters at this point yet 90% of the HtH I've seen have been between unknown characters, and the ones I can do are gated behind affinity that feels way too high for the point in the game you find them in. Do they expect you to spam gifting, or are we supposed to revisit these areas at the end of the game and view all the scenes back to back?

In addition is there just not a lot of interaction between the first big chunk of characters or what?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
gotta say, I'm enjoying this game, but I've found the combat suuuper uneven so far, about 15 hours in. I keep thinking that at some point I'll "get" it, but every fight still mostly kinda feels like mashing stuff and hoping for the best from the AI. I kinda just gave up and overleveled early on, but now I'm trying to play it "properly" so I've turned on expert mode and I'm trying to stay ~one level above enemies.

one problem I'm having is with gear. the game doesn't really say anything about what kind of weight I should be attaching for each character. I'm using Shulk, Reyn, and Dunban right now, and I guess for Reyn it's "heavy poo poo" and for Dunban it's "light poo poo and also maybe nothing depending on the skills," but Shulk is kind of a mystery. I just had to do the fight where the game teaches you Purge like 5 times in a row because I kept dying in like 3 hits to the bosses, so... I'm guessing I should just be focusing on getting Shulk's physical defense up as high as possible with medium gear, and not worry about the weight beyond that?

I also have zero idea how important Ether Defense is. is that some poo poo that only matters for ranged characters, or does it matter for everyone? there's a bunch of gear pieces with like way higher physical defense than ether defense, which makes me think that something determines whether you want more physical or ether defense. is it just like "whoever holds aggro will take physical attacks but everyone takes ether attacks"?

I just got Melina so I guess I'll gently caress around with party comp some more, because while everyone complains about Sharla being one of the worse characters (and tbf my brief attempt at actually playing as her was terrible), using Shulk/Reyn/Dunban was way fuckin worse than Shulk/Reyn/Sharla was.

also I found out through some Reddit post that Ether attacks are the ones with the horizontal lines, and a bunch of enemies are only vulnerable to ether attacks, and now I'm realizing why I had to spend like 3 minutes loving slowly killing nebulas earlier :negative: this is a weird thing to not have a tutorial prompt

oh! also what's the deal with auras? are they just timed buffs? do they cancel each other or anything if you cast a bunch at once?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Yes I'm having this issue too. I find it odd that I have most(?) of the characters at this point yet 90% of the HtH I've seen have been between unknown characters, and the ones I can do are gated behind affinity that feels way too high for the point in the game you find them in. Do they expect you to spam gifting, or are we supposed to revisit these areas at the end of the game and view all the scenes back to back?

In addition is there just not a lot of interaction between the first big chunk of characters or what?

Some HtHs require certain story events to happen first

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Andrast posted:

Some HtHs require certain story events to happen first

Shulk: Hey Reyn, remember when we fought that Telethia?

Reyn: A - Oh yeah, that was cool. We totally killed it.
B - What Telethia?

Choose B.

Shulk: The Telethia we fought yesterday.

Reyn: A - Oh yeah, that was was cool. We totally killed it.
B - I think Sharla wants to jump my bones.

Choose B

Shulk: I love you man.

Reyn: I love pussy.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

gotta say, I'm enjoying this game, but I've found the combat suuuper uneven so far, about 15 hours in. I keep thinking that at some point I'll "get" it, but every fight still mostly kinda feels like mashing stuff and hoping for the best from the AI. I kinda just gave up and overleveled early on, but now I'm trying to play it "properly" so I've turned on expert mode and I'm trying to stay ~one level above enemies.

one problem I'm having is with gear. the game doesn't really say anything about what kind of weight I should be attaching for each character. I'm using Shulk, Reyn, and Dunban right now, and I guess for Reyn it's "heavy poo poo" and for Dunban it's "light poo poo and also maybe nothing depending on the skills," but Shulk is kind of a mystery. I just had to do the fight where the game teaches you Purge like 5 times in a row because I kept dying in like 3 hits to the bosses, so... I'm guessing I should just be focusing on getting Shulk's physical defense up as high as possible with medium gear, and not worry about the weight beyond that?

I also have zero idea how important Ether Defense is. is that some poo poo that only matters for ranged characters, or does it matter for everyone? there's a bunch of gear pieces with like way higher physical defense than ether defense, which makes me think that something determines whether you want more physical or ether defense. is it just like "whoever holds aggro will take physical attacks but everyone takes ether attacks"?

I just got Melina so I guess I'll gently caress around with party comp some more, because while everyone complains about Sharla being one of the worse characters (and tbf my brief attempt at actually playing as her was terrible), using Shulk/Reyn/Dunban was way fuckin worse than Shulk/Reyn/Sharla was.

also I found out through some Reddit post that Ether attacks are the ones with the horizontal lines, and a bunch of enemies are only vulnerable to ether attacks, and now I'm realizing why I had to spend like 3 minutes loving slowly killing nebulas earlier :negative: this is a weird thing to not have a tutorial prompt

oh! also what's the deal with auras? are they just timed buffs? do they cancel each other or anything if you cast a bunch at once?
This video might help with combat. I also wrote a bunch in the OP if you wanna trudge through that. Take some time to just have your two party members engage in combat and look at what happens, without doing anything. What are they doing, how much damage are they taking, what voice clips are they shouting. Just take a couple moments to absorb everything without the stress of hitting buttons. Then look at your own buttons and try to figure out how to properly position yourself. Slit Edge reduces enemy defense and you get a bunch of Party Gauge if you hit from the side, that's good. Hey, you're already at the side, might as well inflict Break and Slow by using Air Slash, and that also boosts your Party Gauge. Shadow Eye will boost your physical damage, and Back Slash deals a shitton of damage when done from the back, and hey the enemy still has reduced defense from your Slit Edge, so this is a natural combo.

Defense is just that, defense. If you're not getting hit then it doesn't matter. You want slots to fit gems into. Ether is just magical damage, so stuff like those nebulas you had problem with use ether attacks. Really not worth worrying about.

Auras are timed buffs, and you can only have one active at a time, yes.

Terper fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 7, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tae posted:

I'm at the sword battlefield, someone tell me what to craft in gems cause I'm still not at that mythical part where Sharla isn't needed in boss battles.

Agility gems up to +50 for the dodge tank, strength or ether for the others. Hybrids attackers should probably get ether gems.
Skip anything with damaging spikes until you have some appropriate gems of that type. I'd wait until Seven for those though.

The mythical part where Sharla isn't needed starts when Dunban joins. Riki later on helps a lot because his healing art is almost as good as Sharla's whole healing toolkit, but you can make even a negligible healing party like Dunban, Reyn, Melia work.

a) Even a couple levels are a massive difference. If you have some exp banked in expert mode try using up some and see if anything changes. Make sure you're up to date on all the art manuals from the merchants so you can level them up if needed.
b) Don't sit on chain attacks. They're the bulk of your offense. As a reminder, killing an enemy during a chain attack restores a bar. It's how the party can vaporize big groups.
c) Outside of when you're forced (some plot battles against face mechons), don't bother with break/topple/daze during chain attacks. Spam same color arts (red) to build up the multiplier, that thing is exponential.
d) Skill link all the passive healing you can spread around.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I still want to know how Dunban got to Sword Valley without visiting Makna forest. Did he fly using things that the Mechon blew up when they attacked? Or did he go...via the front of the Bionis rather than the back? I guess we've not seen the front or the other leg.

I don't think people saying you'll burn out on quests at Alcamoth applies to this remake because yea there's loads but they're all such a breeze to do now it's nothing like it was before. Which is good! But it still means it's fine to just do the lot of them.

And yes - when you're five levels above an enemy (or they're five levels above you) they basically won't be able to hit you any more. It's lovely.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As with seemingly all rpgs involving "undiscovered lands" just ignore that and assume its "lands people dont discuss in polite company"

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Dunban did go, but he went and got the clap-clap off a Nopon hooker.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Taear posted:

I still want to know how Dunban got to Sword Valley without visiting Makna forest. Did he fly using things that the Mechon blew up when they attacked? Or did he go...via the front of the Bionis rather than the back? I guess we've not seen the front or the other leg.

Game starts in Colony 9 and we visit Colony 6.
One would assume there are (or were) Colonies 1 to 8 and an Homs main settlement somewhere.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Omobono posted:

Game starts in Colony 9 and we visit Colony 6.
One would assume there are (or were) Colonies 1 to 8 and an Homs main settlement somewhere.

They specifically tell you the other colonies don't exist any more. Presumably the Mechon killed them in the wars that preceded the Sword Valley fight.

Barudak posted:

As with seemingly all rpgs involving "undiscovered lands" just ignore that and assume its "lands people dont discuss in polite company"

It doesn't really work because Dunban knows about the forest, he knows the Nopon come from there and it's not like the place is...mysterious to him. He's just not been, that's all.

Shulk thinking High Entia are mythical and Dunban not going to the forest are the two strangest bits of story for me because they get mentioned and then kinda dropped. Which is fine, there's no need to say more and you can assume it goes on behind the scenes but I still wonder how Dunban got to sword valley!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Taear posted:

I still wonder how Dunban got to sword valley!

The colonies have flying machines, including those gunned-up APC looking ones and ones similar to what parked at the refugee camp near Raguel Bridge.

When you get down to it, some people go off scouting, like Dickson; some people don't pay attention to history or geography class, like Reyn and Shulk.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Chronojam posted:

The colonies have flying machines, including those gunned-up APC looking ones and ones similar to what parked at the refugee camp near Raguel Bridge.

When you get down to it, some people go off scouting, like Dickson; some people don't pay attention to history or geography class, like Reyn and Shulk.

Shulk is a big geography and history nerd, he talks about it in his heart to hearts with Dunban.

I did say in my first post "did he fly" though! I guess all of those got blown up in the most recent attack.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
He flew alright. By spinning his katana real fast in the air.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chronojam posted:

And some people are illiterate, like Riki

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

He flew alright. By spinning his katana real fast in the air.

"i just flew in from Sword Valley, and boy is my right arm tired"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

In other news - if you reload a save it autosaves almost immediately. So that means if you've not saved for a while and reload the wrong save you're absolutely boned.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I spent so much time last night getting a bunch of 4th skill trees. Riki's is a pain in the rear end though with messing with the clock and trying to find the location of the quest giver. Or maybe just the google doc I'm using has bad directions.

Also, I never knew until this playthrough how much it rules to main Reyn. I wish I knew it before because Shulk is kinda boring.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wow can any boss that resists the basic Break -> Topple -> Daze like the Addolence Trial bird just gently caress right off.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's kinda mad how easy Dunban's fourth is compared to everyone else - but dunban getting another tree feels like the game saying "look, there are more skill trees!" so that's probably why.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Taear posted:

When your party decides to go to sword valley Sharla says something along the lines of colony 6 had some form of transportation or passage that lead straight there but it was destroyed in the attack. I forgot the exact wording but I laughed as I was pondering the same question right before she said it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cyks posted:

When your party decides to go to sword valley Sharla says something along the lines of colony 6 had some form of transportation or passage that lead straight there but it was destroyed in the attack. I forgot the exact wording but I laughed as I was pondering the same question right before she said it.

I don't remember this but I could have missed it, I'm not paying full attention during the cutscenes since I've seen them before and they're (at least up to where I am now) not different.
It's a shame all in all that they didn't take the opportunity to touch up the story and sort a few bits out but I guess that would be harder than just a graphics/UI upgrade.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Can I sell all the junk that monsters drop if they're not for a current or future quest or is there going to be a crafting system or something later on that I'll want them for?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

IcePhoenix posted:

Can I sell all the junk that monsters drop if they're not for a current or future quest or is there going to be a crafting system or something later on that I'll want them for?

You could sell that stuff, but I’ve found that just selling the huge piles of rank 1-2-3 gem crafting poo poo, plus selling weapons and armor, has given me waaaaaaay more than enough money for all of my needs, and it’s nice to have that stuff just sitting in inventory for a) future quest turnins or whatever, and b) trade fodder with NPCs that let’s me circumvent other tedious collection stuff, since I’d rather trade monster drops that aren’t useful for anything else than collectibles that I can use for my desperate affinity farm gift spam eventually.

The “materials” section of the inventory is uncapped (unlike equipment, and gem materials), and there’s basically no reason to ever scroll through it unless you are trying to find things to sell, so, what’s the point? Just leave it be.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 7, 2020

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Plus you never know when a quest will need some particular drop you might have already got by accident the first time you went through an area. If you have any interest at all in the sidequesting side of the game I'd strongly recommend you hold onto all collectables and enemy drops.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Yea it's only worth selling gear. Keep anything else because You Never Know but also because it's not worth the hassle of selling it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

multijoe posted:

Plus you never know when a quest will need some particular drop you might have already got by accident the first time you went through an area.

Yes I do, those give me visions and are marked with a blue ! in my inventory.

CaptainPsyko posted:

You could sell that stuff, but I’ve found that just selling the huge piles of rank 1-2-3 gem crafting poo poo, plus selling weapons and armor, has given me waaaaaaay more than enough money for all of my needs, and it’s nice to have that stuff just sitting in inventory for a) future quest turnins or whatever, and b) trade fodder with NPCs that let’s me circumvent other tedious collection stuff, since I’d rather trade monster drops that aren’t useful for anything else than collectibles that I can use for my desperate affinity farm gift spam eventually.

The “materials” section of the inventory is uncapped (unlike equipment, and gem materials), and there’s basically no reason to ever scroll through it unless you are trying to find things to sell, so, what’s the point? Just leave it be.

I didn't realize they were uncapped. Am I "safe" to sell the level 2 and 3 gem stuff? Level 3 is the highest I have so far, is it just not worth crafting until I get to 4?

Also wrt trading they're not worth much so they're kind of useless there.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 7, 2020

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I'm at Sword Valley and have just now filled up on gem crafting stuff and can't carry any more. I haven't crafted a single thing so far. Should I just sell off the cheapest stuff or should I actually pay attention to what each material will put towards the specific gems I'll want to craft later?

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

You can't combine gems of different ranks so just dump your lowest ranks.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Ok so I just finished Future Connected and I gotta say, it’s pretty bad. Maybe it’s a tie in to the next game, but the last boss fight and the boss before that were ridiculous (get one shot or toppled for like 10 seconds, with extremely limited warnings and no visions, what the gently caress). Turned it down to casual mode to stomp them.... and then nothing was really explained? I was looking for some explanation on what the rift was, more on the telethia, etc... Maybe i just missed it.

Overall, game took me about 7 hours.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

This isn't true. Yes SOME stuff gives you visions, but not everything.
For example you don't get a vision when you get your first golden caterpillar in Tephra Cave but they're part of a collection quest.

Also what the hell is Future Connected?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

IcePhoenix posted:

I didn't realize they were uncapped. Am I "safe" to sell the level 2 and 3 gem stuff? Level 3 is the highest I have so far, is it just not worth crafting until I get to 4?

Also wrt trading they're not worth much so they're kind of useless there.

You don’t get visions for everything needed in a future quest. The visions for quest items are honestly kind of useless because they aren’t comprehensive at all.

Sell all gem stuff below the current level that you’re finding in the world. Once you start finding level 4 stuff, sell the level 3, but hold on to/craft with the level 3 while it’s current. It won’t be useful later because you can’t use lower level materials for higher level gems.

As for trading - it’s easy to say “this stuff isn’t worth much”, but I’d rather have a bunch of Tirkin crests that are worth 1000 that I can trade for armor scraps that are worth 800 in Alcamoth and skip an entire side quest and also a colony 6 reconstruction step than have to over trade using collectibles that are worth 8k.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Taear posted:

This isn't true. Yes SOME stuff gives you visions, but not everything.
For example you don't get a vision when you get your first golden caterpillar in Tephra Cave but they're part of a collection quest.

Also what the hell is Future Connected?

Future Connected is the new “epilogue”/standalone story included in the DE, that takes place after the ending of the game, featuring Shulk, Melia, and Nopon-Not-Reyn and Nopon-Not-Sharla running around on the Bionis Shoulder.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Zarfol posted:

Ok so I just finished Future Connected and I gotta say, it’s pretty bad. Maybe it’s a tie in to the next game, but the last boss fight and the boss before that were ridiculous (get one shot or toppled for like 10 seconds, with extremely limited warnings and no visions, what the gently caress). Turned it down to casual mode to stomp them.... and then nothing was really explained? I was looking for some explanation on what the rift was, more on the telethia, etc... Maybe i just missed it.

I don't think the Telethia needed more explanation, we already know what they are and why they are and that Teelan is working on a way to reverse the process. But yeah, The Rift and the Fog King just sort of being there and the actual antagonist character being disposed of in a non-voiced side quest is really not great.

But I guess the story isn't really "about" the Fog King, it's about Melia growing into her role as the ruler of the High Entia (which, I mean, maybe they could have used a less mysterious enemy in that case and dropped The Rift stuff entirely?)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Zarfol posted:

Did you do any side quests? Get all the Ponspectors? Because the ponspectors are part of what makes battles winnable. Also if you’re worried about getting toppled did you try equipping any topple resist gems? The fog king was tough but it you lose to him and use that knowledge to prepare for those attacks it isn’t that bad. Also Ponspector attacks are absurdly strong.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
If I kill a unique before getting all party members do I have to go back and kill them later to get new members that Affinity Coin?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Having an epilogue with like 1/4 of the cast was a really weird idea

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Having an epilogue with like 1/4 of the cast was a really weird idea

Hey it worked for FFX-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Did you do any side quests? Get all the Ponspectors? Because the ponspectors are part of what makes battles winnable. Also if you’re worried about getting toppled did you try equipping any topple resist gems? The fog king was tough but it you lose to him and use that knowledge to prepare for those attacks it isn’t that bad. Also Ponspector attacks are absurdly strong.

Yeah I realized that the blue prospector attack gives you rebuff resist - which made the battle easy. I guess the epilogue is really made for people who know the battle system really well, and I haven’t played XBC in 5 something years I guess, so I was definitely rusty on it.

Going back to the main game now I guess. Hopefully XBX will get ported soon!

Edit: I’m glad this series had kind of taken off for Nintendo/Monolith. I know there were a lot of hate for design of XBC2, bad dialogue, terrible anime tropes, but I thought it was all p funny.

Zarfol fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 7, 2020