Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I've got to learn to stop hitting the bonus switch on 'enemies heal to full on each floor' fights. The rest of the extra challenge options are pretty reasonable, but I always seem to run into that one on the fights with the big guys with a lot of armor and like 80ish HP. Maybe those options are tied to specific enemy types, and I'm just not paying enough attention to notice it. But anyway, outside of a god tier deck, that option is rarely worth it. If it doesn't just end the run completely, at best I seem to get out of those fights with my pyre nearly dead from having to finish off a bunch of units on its own.

Also, does anyone else just instant reset if they're running Stygian and Seraph gets the spell eating buff? I'm glad that the option is there, no doubt, but that kind of feels like a bandage on top of a not-so-great design. Usually also instant reset if I don't like the champion upgrades offered at the start. Seems like that, at least, could be fixed by just having the blacksmith offer all three options for the first upgrade only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

BobTheJanitor posted:

Also, does anyone else just instant reset if they're running Stygian and Seraph gets the spell eating buff?
Depends on my pairing and my first artifact. I'll usually try to play it out, and just lean into making sure I have Consume spells with Frost or Permafrost to fire off first every round.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Usually also instant reset if I don't like the champion upgrades offered at the start. Seems like that, at least, could be fixed by just having the blacksmith offer all three options for the first upgrade only.
I'm kinda glad I don't get all three every time. I'd never pick anything but Burnout Rector if I had a choice between all three.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

BobTheJanitor posted:

Also, does anyone else just instant reset if they're running Stygian and Seraph gets the spell eating buff? I'm glad that the option is there, no doubt, but that kind of feels like a bandage on top of a not-so-great design.

I mean, half the time spell consuming Seraph actually can be helpful to you because he Consumes whatever useless starting spell like Frozen Lances still stuck in your deck for you, or you can burn a spell that you'd rather not see again for that fight. Sometimes you can even just let a few non-useless spell burn here and there because you have some to spare, plus unless you're playing Awoken you usually won't cycle through your deck that fast and will only use any given spell twice or thrice anyway. Your biggest issue in the Seraph fight is tempo due to how fast the enemies come at you, and Consuming your spells is a potential value-based problem that's only gonna come into play a few turns down the line.

It only really sucks with Holdover stuff if you happen to not have another spell in hand you can burn, but it's a pretty manageable "handicap" otherwise that often only feels worse than it actually is.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 7, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah the spell eating buff is like the easiest thing Seraph can roll for any deck. Even spell heavy Stygian decks are going to be easily able to eat one spell consume per turn unless you're incredibly aggressive about removing cards and regularly have 15 or less by then.

Like most of my winning runs have about 30 cards and spell consume is almost always meaningless or a positive in that fight

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Finally got my win with every combo. Now to take a break for a while, basically been playing nothing but this game since I got it two weeks ago.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Just got gifted this, it's a ton of fun and the music is great.

There's a few things I don't like though, and if you quit during a daily you can't resume it. :negative:

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

Eschatos posted:

Finally got my win with every combo. Now to take a break for a while, basically been playing nothing but this game since I got it two weeks ago.

Congrats! After the break is over.. Ascension 25 wins with all the combos next? :3:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Cuntellectual posted:

There's a few things I don't like though, and if you quit during a daily you can't resume it. :negative:

I like that the current track pops up with a 'now playing' at the start of each fight. It's something I don't think I've seen other games do, and it's a great little touch.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Eschatos posted:

Awoken/Hellhorned is your lowest? I've found that's one of the easiest combos in the single-digit ascensions. Just get the Spikes or Rejuvenation champion and a couple of glass cannons behind it and you're good. Plus maybe some armor for spikes and sweepers.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You have to have the game on PC, download steam link (I know iPhones have it dunno about android) connect to the same network and play it that way.

There is a way to do this over the internet too but My internet can’t really handle it

Unfortunately you’re not pulling out your phone and playing it wherever you want, but I spend so much time at home these days it’s nice to sit on the couch and play this game on a tablet

What does your isp not allow you to do? The upload or the dynamic ip. If its the latter, there are free dynamic ip name resolution services out there or just not even use it because ISPs won't change IPs on an hourly basis.

With a few forwarded ports you should be good.

I will push for people to try out steam link on their phone and play this. Its fits so drat well and it has all the mobile features that make it easier to play like clicking a card does not cast it but zooms in on it. Using cards on floors by manually switching to it with the up and down keys in the middle of the screen or dragging a card to the edge of the top or bottom to switch before letting go is a very little and significant UI thing about the game.

I think if you can somehow play it in portrait mode, it might be awesome...

PMush Perfect posted:

Monster Train is the Marvel vs Capcom to Slay the Spire's Tekken. StS, like Tekken, is well-balanced and rewards paced, careful play. MvC, on the other hand, has ridiculous hundred-hit combo spectacles, and some parts of it are just blatantly and gloriously broken. MT's buffed things that are bad, but I doubt anything is going to get nerfed any time soon. That's just not the kind of game it is, and that's not bad, it's just a different kind of game.

Edit: Personally, I prefer Monster Train because I like the shorter runs, and the opportunities for things to absolutely blow up. When I lose, I still try to figure out what I did wrong, but I don't feel nearly as bad dying to some random midboss in MT as I do in StS. Playing StS, I know my failure is a result of a hundred small bad decisions, unlike in MT, where it was more likely one or two big mistakes and some bad luck.

The one thing this game has over Slay the Spire is the ability to turn bad cards into good cards. One time i did not any non-buffed minions the stewards to buff with the +size with massive +attack/defense along with trample meant this dude was one of the dedicated morsel snackers.

StS def feels i made a million poor decisions if I lost, like you said. Not knowing what to look for if i choose a very specific playstyle/card unless it screams at you (hey, that damage dealt = # of POISON card sure works well with MORE POISON) made me not like it all.

Eschatos posted:

Doesn't look like Hell/Awokened though?

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 7, 2020

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

Awoken/Hellhorned is your lowest? I've found that's one of the easiest combos in the single-digit ascensions. Just get the Spikes or Rejuvenation champion and a couple of glass cannons behind it and you're good. Plus maybe some armor for spikes and sweepers.

They might be like me, having played the hell out of hellhorned/awoken during the free beta. I had unlocked everything in the beta. I played so much I was well burned out on those two by the time release rolled around, and they're still my least played clans by a lot in the full version.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

That's just the first one I happened to get a win with, the numbers don't necessarily correspond to difficulty. My plan was to get a win with every combo before revisiting old ones.

EVIL Gibson posted:

Doesn't look like Hell/Awokened though?

First win is C0. It'd be greyed out otherwise.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Finally got my first win with Remnants / Stygian. I love when just a stupid combo comes together. I got one of the multi-hit guys, buffed him by 10 attack and another multihit, and then got a crystal cave event where I could toss a card in and get 5 of it back (??) so I did so, and had 5 of those guys. I also had the artifact that gave +10 strength each extinguish and another that made them all endless. The event said they were "unstable" but they worked just fine. I'd toss a few in front of every early wave, had extra card draw every 3rd card I played, so by round 4 I'd have a bunch of endless 3x 50 attack dudes who take up 1 slot. It was hilariously easy from that point on.

Watching a deck go from OK to unstoppable by getting the right cards and the right upgrades is super satisfying.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:hai:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Imp is up there watching like "lol, this is gonna be a massacre".

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

You can resume the daily. Go back to Multiplayer, click Daily Challenge, and there will be a Continue or Resume button instead of a launch one or whatever it is when you first play it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Eschatos posted:

I also got my last combination win today, with Hellhorned/Awoken. The run was carried by the Frozen Nostalgia locket and 3 Permafrost Doublestack Trap Doors. Throwing Daze 12 on a boss is real nice.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Umbra are super cool with the way their champion is just a wrecking ball of death, though I can only imagine how nasty the buff removal final boss would be against them.

I think my main complaint is that the enemies are kind of lacking in variety. Only on early convenant levels so maybe you need to think about how to handle certain enemies more later on, idk.

Like most games I really like, I can immediately see the things I don't like and flaws and focus on them. Tons of fun though I spent literally all day playing it. :v:

BobTheJanitor posted:

I like that the current track pops up with a 'now playing' at the start of each fight. It's something I don't think I've seen other games do, and it's a great little touch.

Yeah, it's good.

It really annoys me how you can get, I believe, a 10 point limit on a room but there's a seperate 7 unit limit it doesn't tell you about until you hit it. It should really be consistent. :|

Lozareth posted:

You can resume the daily. Go back to Multiplayer, click Daily Challenge, and there will be a Continue or Resume button instead of a launch one or whatever it is when you first play it.

Oh, nice.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Higher covenant levels basically up the stats on everything so the variety remains the same but some things you can afford to brush off become pretty big threats.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
So fun fact I just learned about the relic that reduces spell cost? It doesn't care how much you spent on the spell. If you Offering away a three cost spell? it will reduce everything lower than it to 0. Same as if you play an expensive spell and have it discounted by the Stygian Champion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Patrick Spens posted:

So fun fact I just learned about the relic that reduces spell cost? It doesn't care how much you spent on the spell. If you Offering away a three cost spell? it will reduce everything lower than it to 0. Same as if you play an expensive spell and have it discounted by the Stygian Champion.

It also works on X-spells; play one and anything costing less than your current energy is reduced to 0.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I played this for like five hours today and I'm still on covenant 2. I think umbra is extremely cool but I'm having a hard time getting it to work. Umbra doesn't seem suited to being a backup deck either.

How does gorge work? If you place a morsel between two other minions, does the one in front eat the morsel? Or does the morsel is in front of get to eat it?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CharlesThunder posted:

I played this for like five hours today and I'm still on covenant 2. I think umbra is extremely cool but I'm having a hard time getting it to work. Umbra doesn't seem suited to being a backup deck either.

How does gorge work? If you place a morsel between two other minions, does the one in front eat the morsel? Or does the morsel is in front of get to eat it?

Morsels can't eat other morsels. Its always the frontmost non-morsel unit that eats everything.

So you can have it set up like

Unit-M-M-Unit 2-M

and Unit 2 will eat all the Morsels. Gorge is a keyword that triggers whenever that unit eats a Morsel and so will do nothing if that unit has another regular unit in front of it.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Ohhh it's the front most minion no matter what? So when I've been putting train wardens in front of penumbra to soak a few damage I've actually just been throwing morsels away? Whoops.
What's remove/purge strategy? I usually get rid of torches, restore, etc before train wardens just to have the extra bodies unless I'm running a very space intensive deck.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

CharlesThunder posted:

Ohhh it's the front most minion no matter what? So when I've been putting train wardens in front of penumbra to soak a few damage I've actually just been throwing morsels away? Whoops.
What's remove/purge strategy? I usually get rid of torches, restore, etc before train wardens just to have the extra bodies unless I'm running a very space intensive deck.

I pretty much always drop all train wardens before getting rid of spells.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Eschatos posted:

I pretty much always drop all train wardens before getting rid of spells.

Same, unless I happen to get that relic that buffs them with multistrike. Not only are they a waste of card draw, but I always find myself playing them anyway just to get them out of my deck, and then realizing that I no longer have enough space to play good units. Having them take 2 points worth of space is what really tips them over from just being mediocre to being actively bad for your game. I've got to remove them as soon as I can so I don't mindlessly sabotage myself.

Unrelated, has anyone manged to get good use out of the railspike cave event? (The one that buffs a unit/spell but also adds purge to it) Outside of getting it right before the last fight, I can't see the point in it. The buffs aren't so great that they justify losing a card. Usually I'll throw it on a unit that I plan to purge anyway, like a train warden, so I can just get rid of them in the next fight.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah I pretty much always throw it on a warden. It's a purge and helps to ease the next fight which can be useful depending on your deck maturity.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I mean, it depends on the units you have whether or not train wardens are dead draws. How much capacity of good stuff do you have and how flexibly can you play? Do you have a setup where your unit slots are pretty much predetermined no matter how you draw? Or can you afford to shift stuff around for tempo? You have to figure it out every game.

I also wonder if part of the strategy is getting Train Wardens deliberately killed right away because then your deck is thinner for the second rotation, but it feels like that would take some finesse to make sure they actually die in time to make sure you don't lose the chance to play your good stuff. But that's one advantage to purging a spell and keeping a Train Warden - Wardens effectively have "consume".

And I think the thing you mentioned is precisely HOW you make use of the railspike event - it's a free purge, plus some value when you do it.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Unrelated, has anyone manged to get good use out of the railspike cave event? (The one that buffs a unit/spell but also adds purge to it) Outside of getting it right before the last fight, I can't see the point in it. The buffs aren't so great that they justify losing a card. Usually I'll throw it on a unit that I plan to purge anyway, like a train warden, so I can just get rid of them in the next fight.

I've thrown it on an already buffed unit that I got 5x duplicated to help with final boss but that's a real niche situation. I usually skip it or do like you said with something I was throwing out anyways.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

So has anyone gotten good enough to get regular win streaks on high covenants? I feel like bad luck with starting random cards immediately sinks a run unless I get real good luck with the first artifact/draft pick/upgrade shop.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

So I get there is a hidden rule about draw order in this game but I've never seen anyone describe it clearly. Specifically it sounds like the game designates "priority units" (ones you drafted? upgraded?) and you're guaranteed to draw at least one a turn (?) until they're all gone

Does anyone know exactly how this works

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

secret volcano lair posted:

So I get there is a hidden rule about draw order in this game but I've never seen anyone describe it clearly. Specifically it sounds like the game designates "priority units" (ones you drafted? upgraded?) and you're guaranteed to draw at least one a turn (?) until they're all gone

Does anyone know exactly how this works

Each turn your first draw will be a Clan unit that isn't an Imp, unless you have no such units remaining in your deck. The exception is turn 1, when your first draw is your Champion and your unit is the second draw.

I believe this only happens on the first trip through your deck. If you cycle fully, the second time round your draws will be random. This is, incidentally, why Channelsong and especially Prism Retrieval are not good cards - by the time you draw them, there's good odds that you won't have a good unit left to draw.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CharlesThunder posted:

I always thin out Train Wardens first, mostly because I tend to be more capacity limited than anything and they are exceedingly bad monster cards

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
How do you unlock the daily challenge thing? I figured it'd be after unlocking all the clans or finishing with each clan as the main one but no dice. Is it getting to level 10 with every clan or something?

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Jedit posted:

Each turn your first draw will be a Clan unit that isn't an Imp, unless you have no such units remaining in your deck. The exception is turn 1, when your first draw is your Champion and your unit is the second draw.

I believe this only happens on the first trip through your deck. If you cycle fully, the second time round your draws will be random. This is, incidentally, why Channelsong and especially Prism Retrieval are not good cards - by the time you draw them, there's good odds that you won't have a good unit left to draw.

Huh. Ok. Also sounds like it makes Consumer of Crowns worse than you'd expect, given the imp restriction

The game is clearly balanced around this feature existing, but I don't think it should be hidden from the player the way it is

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Jedit posted:

This is, incidentally, why Channelsong and especially Prism Retrieval are not good cards - by the time you draw them, there's good odds that you won't have a good unit left to draw.

Huh this explains why 99% of the time I end up using channelsong on a train warden or a dreg or something. Seems like that could be an easy fix by just marking those internally as equivalent to unit cards, so you might draw it on your first turn and then be able to get a good unit out with it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Probably overpowered but codify it as a draw queue that you can order yourself.

This feels like something they had to leave in because they painted themselves into a corner, design wise.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

BobTheJanitor posted:

Huh this explains why 99% of the time I end up using channelsong on a train warden or a dreg or something. Seems like that could be an easy fix by just marking those internally as equivalent to unit cards, so you might draw it on your first turn and then be able to get a good unit out with it.

Or the game actually telling the player that draws are not, in fact, 100% random. I hate that poo poo :mad: (ed: not being told, that is. If I see cards, I expect them to be drawn from a pile and shuffled, not pre-arranged every single turn the first time through!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Very disappointed to learn that frostbite has such a low cap

Should have been ~2.5k there