Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I like that the inside of the helmet has the same texture as the outside. Fidelity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Kellanved posted:

I like that the inside of the helmet has the same texture as the outside. Fidelity!

:lol: I didn't notice that, and now it's incredibly obvious. The inside of that helmet gets blasted with the same corrosive effects it's made to protect her (?) from.

I guess my eyes just gloss over things like that now - the submoronic "fidelity" chase was always about the easy approach to fidelity, like the number of polygons or a reflection, and never about actual fidelity or anything more complex than Chris pointing at a child's movie and saying "cool - I want - I make!"

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Snoopy cap was not a joke

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Good Grief

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

* Did you want to store that bottle of water for later? I hope you bought a "Rucksack" brand chest piece! Oh you didn't know that you literally have to buy a single specific type of chest piece just to have a loving inventory system in this game? Well, you do. It's only sold at one terminal on Microtech. Get hosed.

There are many chest pieces that have inventory, not just the Rucksack. When you look at the chest pieces in the store menus it should tell you how much inventory space it actually has. Most should let you store about 10 items worth.

Sarsapariller posted:

* Go into your equipment menu and take off your helmet. Pray to RNG Chris that you aren't standing in a pocket of vacuum in the middle of the crowded shopping mall. Your character will play an unskippable helmet-removal animation- you may cheer "HELMET! HELMET! HELMET!" if you so choose. While playing the animation, the character will immediately drop the water bottle and it will clip through the floor. This happens every time. Should have taken your helmet off first, fucko!

Items dropping and falling through the floor never happened to me but I always took my helmet off in first-person view so I never see the animation. Maybe that could be why? I would also take the helmet off using the mostly undocumented "personal inner thought" system I managed to stumble across. Basically, hold F and click your RMB. You will open a radial menu and "Remove Helmet" should be one of the options.

Sarsapariller posted:

* Buy another water bottle. Stare at your own hand again like you have some kind of motion disability, and select "Drink." Wait 2-3 seconds for the server to register your command. You will play an unskippable, long animation of unscrewing the bottle top, taking a swig, and screwing the bottle top back on. This will gain you approximately 5% of your total thirst back. That's right! You will need to perform this animation twenty times to get your thirst meter back to full from zero. How many swigs are in a bottle? Possibly around seven. When a bottle is empty your character will perform an unskippable dropping animation and throw the corpse of the bottle through the floor, as is tradition.

If you hold LMB you will drink until it is empty. I actually don't know why it doesn't just do that by default since I wasn't able to re-stow a half drunken bottle of water.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Nalin posted:

Items dropping and falling through the floor never happened to me but I always took my helmet off in first-person view so I never see the animation. Maybe that could be why? I would also take the helmet off using the mostly undocumented "personal inner thought" system I managed to stumble across. Basically, hold F and click your RMB. You will open a radial menu and "Remove Helmet" should be one of the options.

If you hold LMB you will drink until it is empty. I actually don't know why it doesn't just do that by default since I wasn't able to re-stow a half drunken bottle of water.

ui design is my passion

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sarsapariller posted:

Trip Report:

He wasn't there when I took off. I don't know how he got on board. I just receive a message "So-and-so has entered your ship chat" which always indicates somebody else is running around the loving ship. Is this a Star Citizen hack or incredibly bad desync or what? I don't know but I hear doors opening on my ship. Luckily I always pack a loving gun anymore because you never know when something stupid is going to happen, so I sit in the cabin and wait for him to walk in. He does, and I plug him in the head until he jitters and plays the dying animation while floating backwards through a wall. Success! Except wait no, the game thinks I just shot an innocent man! Instant 4-star wanted level. I am now unable to land at any law-abiding station as I'll be shot instantly.

Re-reading this and it occurs to me- you could grief someone just by hopping on their ship and sitting in the pilot seat forcing them to kill you, which gets them a crime stat and hours of drudgery...

:gary: Best game ever. :yarg:

The whales really should be hoping it never sees release. The griefing potential in this trash fire is enormous.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

That's me, I'm staying frosty.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Re-reading this and it occurs to me- you could grief someone just by hopping on their ship and sitting in the pilot seat forcing them to kill you, which gets them a crime stat and hours of drudgery...

:gary: Best game ever. :yarg:

The whales really should be hoping it never sees release. The griefing potential in this trash fire is enormous.

The best option if somebody conducts any sort of criminal activity against you appears to be to just sit still and let them kill you, because you can't really tell if they're a criminal or not when on foot due to there basically being no HUD related to players. Don't want to accidentally kill an innocent person!

Nalin posted:

There are many chest pieces that have inventory, not just the Rucksack. When you look at the chest pieces in the store menus it should tell you how much inventory space it actually has. Most should let you store about 10 items worth.

It's all just so dumb. None of this is laid out anywhere, none of it is intuitive. How would you ever know to hold down LMB while drinking? I'd be terrified that would cause me to like, assault a pedestrian or something. Good to know about the chest pieces but that is also not remotely explained anywhere. I only knew about the rucksack because I found it in a terminal at random. But you shouldn't have to buy anything to be able to store a drat water bottle! Inventory should be intrinsic to the character, and drinking should be as simple as right click item -> drink -> animation and it's done. It's just one half-thought-out system stacked on top of another, all throughout the game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I ran all round the space port and didn't see anywhere I could buy anything.

it feels like how nigerian scam emails are almost deliberately ridiculous because they don't want to hear from people who are put off by that, they're not the target market. coming into it fresh the game is so hostile to newcomers it feels like its directed at people who either don't care or want it that way.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

It's all just so dumb. None of this is laid out anywhere, none of it is intuitive. How would you ever know to hold down LMB while drinking? I'd be terrified that would cause me to like, assault a pedestrian or something. Good to know about the chest pieces but that is also not remotely explained anywhere. I only knew about the rucksack because I found it in a terminal at random. But you shouldn't have to buy anything to be able to store a drat water bottle! Inventory should be intrinsic to the character, and drinking should be as simple as right click item -> drink -> animation and it's done. It's just one half-thought-out system stacked on top of another, all throughout the game.

If you LMB while holding an item, the default action is to drink. I did a few sips the first time then tried holding it down and it worked.

The inventory thing is kinda weird since the inventory is specific to that suit. You can actually buy a whole bunch of different chest pieces, go mining, and then just swap to a different chest piece once it is full. You get magical amounts of storage that way.

Also, I found out that the personal inner thought system lets you use items without having to hold F and look at it in your hand and gently caress around with the options that appear. You can access the "eat" and "drink" options directly within the menus for items.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sarsapariller posted:

It's just bad design. You have to eat and drink every so often to stay alive, and if only one of the chest pieces holds food- do they offer other chest pieces? They might as well only have that one as the others would get little to no use. Why would anyone use one that didn't hold food?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

It's just bad design. You have to eat and drink every so often to stay alive, and if only one of the chest pieces holds food- do they offer other chest pieces? They might as well only have that one as the others would get little to no use. Why would anyone use one that didn't hold food?

There's no plan to this game, or design, or target, or anything. This is what happens. It would be like trying to add survival elements to Tetris. It's not the right kind of game, there are no meters to track, no inventory system, etc. so you just cram it in sideways. Do that 100 times for every game element you try to cram in and before you know it you have Star Citizen - the most visionless game ever not designed.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I feel like all this food holding in chest pieces is the equivalent of stuffing money or a credit card into your bra. Why does only a chest piece have storage? How about... I don't know, like a bag or a backpack or something?

Or are we waiting for cig to invent backpacks in video games still?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Blue On Blue posted:

Snoopy cap was not a joke

Dunno what it is but that looks like a mid 90s cutscenes in high res.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

The Titanic posted:

I feel like all this food holding in chest pieces is the equivalent of stuffing money or a credit card into your bra. Why does only a chest piece have storage? How about... I don't know, like a bag or a backpack or something?

It's just the dumb way they do inventory management. Your actual inventory is tied to the chest armor you have equipped. Different chest armors can have lots of item slots, few item slots, or maybe even no item slots. They can also differ in how much ammo, grenades, and health packs they can carry. The store at least tells you how much inventory it can hold when you select it. You won't know how much ammo/health packs it can hold until you actually buy it (or I guess use the "Try it on" option?)

And, as I said before, this has the weird side effect of letting you swap armor and changing your inventory on the fly. Filled up your mining chest piece? Swap it for something else with free inventory and keep on mining. All the ore in your previous chest piece is stored in the cloud now.

I actually don't know if all your unequipped armor loses its inventory if you die. I haven't tested it but it would be funny to unequip a full backpack of ore, suicide back to a planet, and swap back to sell.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Im so sad we won't have more Spaceman James and his thrilling adventures in pitch black caves, those were some good times.
I didn't get a picture, but for some reason the Avenger Stalker I tried to spawn showed up without guns and the rear ramp was spinning halfway inside the hanger. Good times.

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018
Today in r/starcitizen:

Persistence is working, as intended:

quote:

CONCERN
In-Game Purchased Ship Wiped (self.starcitizen)
submitted 5 hours ago by
new user/low karma

Yesterday I purchased an Aegis Eclipse for around 3 million aUEC, I grinded for that ship for almost three months and I was so excited when I finally got it.
Today I started one of the satellite crash missions on Hurston that gave me the invisible mobiGlas bug, I tried relogging multiple times to no avail. I couldn’t play the game without a character reset.
So I performed a character reset, and to my extreme disappointment, my Eclipse was wiped. I grinded for 3 months for a ship that I only flew for one day.
Taking a break from this game for a while.

Elite bad. SC good:

quote:

FLUFF Somebody call the burn unit... (imgur.com)
https://imgur.com/PP6RnRD.png

Best Comment in thread:

quote:

And when the players find out a way to get easy-ish money without a mindnumbing grind, it'll get nerfed into the ground.
Quite some time ago i stumbled over a way to make a quick money and it kinda spread like wildfire. A few days later and a bit of developer magic the source *poofed* away.
Edit; i am talking about Elite

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Titanic posted:

Why don't pants have pockets? There's food in form of energy bars, I can definitely stick like four or six of those in my pockets, sometimes more (with some pocket-y pants you can stick like twenty or more in). Are we in some future where women's clothing has prevailed and nothing has pockets?

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 7, 2020

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

love spending 400,000 hours working on the texture of the frost that covers the space suits and then giving my entire character the skin of a hot dog

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Why don't pants have pockets? There's food in form of energy bars, I can definitely stick like four or six of those in my pockets, sometimes more (with some pocket-y pants you can stick like twenty or more in). Are we in some future where women's clothing has prevailed and nothing has pockets?

Eventually, pant manufactures of the future managed to convince everybody, including macho commandos, that pockets ruin your silhouette.

I mean, Piccolo *is* green. This guy may just have a sight issue.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Nalin posted:

Post a trip report, TIA

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

It seems to be the latest trolling tactic - aggressively pretend that everything is perfect, and anyone who questions that is a 'FUDster', etc... just ignore them.

quote:

Redditor for 10 days, basically a new account created by someone on the refund subreddit to try and make people on this sub look bad, so that they get some more content to whine about.

quote:

We're talking here about people that have spent literally years dedicated to trashing talking a game they don't like instead of playing a game they do. Uncountable hours scouring the internet for anything they can turn into an anti-SC talking point, brigading subs and forums everywhere, posting fake Glassdoor reviews, creating fake refunds and sending them to news sites. These are people that have time and hatred, and seemingly not a whole lot else going on in their lives.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Quavers posted:

Post a trip report, TIA

I did post some trip reports back when 3.6.0 launched that were pretty funny, but I've played enough since then to know how to control the game and how to avoid most of the bad bugs so any new trip report I could make is generally very bland and would only feature the same issues over and over again.

The bugs I mainly deal with if I try to play are the F2 map being absolutely abominable (everybody who plays knows that), the ship 3D radar getting stuck, trouble making certain QT jumps (sometimes they get obstructed and the UI won't tell you or certain POIs don't show up unless you set a course in the broken F2 map menu), ship screens going blank, an occasional mission breaking, and missiles refusing to lock. Certainly annoying, but not game breaking.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

This is a whole different argument haha.

I have some pairs of pants that just look like they have pockets but it's all stitched together nothing and lies.

At this point, bra-packing is looking like the full ear future for women's storage unless you have a big purse.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

post a 15 minute vid of you having fun instead.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

love spending 400,000 hours working on the texture of the frost that covers the space suits and then giving my entire character the skin of a hot dog

Probably CIGs biggest art fallacy is they invest in 1M poly modes that make the game run terribly, but this is the result.

Generic science fiction with no soul.

These shots could be from Moon, or from some NASA/SpaceX sales pitch, or from any other movie/game that went the hard science fiction route that wants to look realistic in nature according to today's standards.

Which is fine, but then on another set of screenshots this same person could be modeling some space suit out of Mass Effect and a Kitty helmet from Fortnight.

The lack of consistency is distributing, and pictures like this just help to reinforce the lack of identity.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
If you want to be zany, that's fine.

I love zany stuff.

But I don't know if I recall a place where zany and massively realistic blended together where it wasn't "a zany moment" with something funny happening in an otherwise serious concept.

You either go Fortnight where yes, you can totally have Deadpool fighting against Darth Vader while an anthropomorphic banana and strong cat dance in the background.

But this isn't the Chris way, this isn't the dystopian space future eerily similar to WW2 except in space where everybody is oppressed or a rebel or a straight laced military person with family issues.

I'm sure somewhere there is a happy medium, but I don't know what it is.

If you see what the theme is, feel free to educate me.

Oh and never forget it's also Skyrim:

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 7, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I'll correct myself, since Metal Gear Solid exists.

But CR is not Hideo Kojima.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Last King posted:

if you need a really good space sim fix (and aren't put off by 2d), you should check out star sector (https://fractalsoftworks.com/) for real.

great game, actually a small indie team(!), and an active community with lots of mods. i've wasted prolly 100+ hours in it alone.
Posting from the past to say I was introduced to this game last week (thanks forums) and it is loving awesome.

Seriously. Check it out.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Star Control 2 and Star Flight 2 both had elements of wackiness to go with universal extinction and the mass mental subjugation of innocents.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Mirificus posted:

quote:

We're talking here about people that have spent literally years dedicated to trashing talking a game they don't like instead of playing a game they do.

It doesn't have to be either/or- you can do both :colbert:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

The Titanic posted:

Oh and never forget it's also Skyrim:

Tell me that last one isn't real...

Tell me they haven't been charging for a manual on how to mod a game that will never have mods...

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Tell me they haven't been charging for a manual on how to mod a game that will never have mods...

What does your heart tell you?

Star Citisn't posted:

Real quick, Star Citizen is (except when it's not):
A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.
Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
No Subscriptions
No Pay to Win

and posted:

Allowing user generated content is a key design goal
Our modding tools will allow players to design new ships for both submission to the persistent RSI ship dealer network or to build custom ships and items for the self-hosted multiplayer mode.

and posted:

Pledge $110 or more
DIGITAL FREELANCER: The finished game for your PC with your MISC Freelancer ready to fly (High-end ship focused more for trade and exploration) + 5,000 Galactic Credits + Exclusive access to the Alpha and Beta + digital copy of game soundtrack + full color digital map of the game universe + digital copy of Engineering Manual for modders

ESTIMATED DELIVERY
Nov 2014
259 backers

and posted:

Pledge US$ 2,500 or more
(snip) + Hardback bound 42-page Engineering Manual for Modders+ Hardback bound 42-page Squadron 42 Manual + 60min video conference with Chris Roberts to ask him all the questions you like + Platinum Citizens Card

ESTIMATED DELIVERY
Nov 2014
3 backers

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 7, 2020

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
The developers should really read that manual.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

100%

And luckily for you it's still in stock. Better buy one now so you can be ready to get those mods rolling! :getin:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Get your private server and custom ships ready to go and everything!

I'm buying it and am building out my Battlestar Galactica conversion! Thankfully 95% of everything already in the game feels right at home in Battlestar as well! I'm already almost done! <3

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sandweed posted:

post a 15 minute vid of you having fun instead.

Please do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

...The textures of the inside of the spacesuit frost over.