Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My Vive Pro arrived in the mail! :woop:

Holy poo poo, that sure is a clearer picture quality :stonklol:.

Clearer than what? Vanilla Vive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The latest update to Blade and Sorcery does have a lot of performance problems but goddamn if the spell system isn't satisfying as heck (when you get past the jank)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JyvblmL6L8

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Penpal posted:

Where did you order it from, and how much did you pay? I am thinking about getting a vive pro

Assuming you're also in Australia, MSY Computers, and full retail price of about $1050AUD :retrogames:. It was also the last one they had in their online store.

Munkaboo posted:

Clearer than what? Vanilla Vive?

Exactly this.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Pavlov is on sale but a lot of reviews talk about an extremely toxic community. Anyone in this thread have insight into how true that is?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jenny Agutter posted:

Pavlov is on sale but a lot of reviews talk about an extremely toxic community. Anyone in this thread have insight into how true that is?

In my experience? Very.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

Yep. Put everyone on mute and shoot nazis.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Is Arizona.... Whatever the rest of the zombie game's name is... As good as I keep hearing? I've been thinking about picking it up, but I'd probably rather just have it on my Quest rather than on Steam VR at the moment.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Don't bother. It was a VR launch game and was never anything special other that being the first shooty game with some basic semblance of a single player campaign.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

Don't bother. It was a VR launch game and was never anything special other that being the first shooty game with some basic semblance of a single player campaign.

Is it -bad-? Because I figured a sale price would be a worthwhile time to get it.

Honestly, I'd love to play through Skyrim or Fallout 4 again in VR, but... 60 loving dollars -each-? gently caress Bethesda, sometimes (most of the time).

That said, is the Doom 3 VR mod worth checking out, and is it possible to get installed on a non-BFG edition of the game?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Estimated delivery of our Quest is one tuesday (but knowing delivery drivers here, it'll be later as they'll either try to deliver when we are not home, or more likely - lie and say that we weren't home.). Oddly enough, the games I'm looking forward to the most right now are the VR mods of classic Doom, Quake etc. For some reason the demos just looked so drat cool.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Deeturbomber posted:

That said, is the Doom 3 VR mod worth checking out, and is it possible to get installed on a non-BFG edition of the game?

Doom 3 VR is definitely worth checking out, but I'm 99% sure you need the BFG edition.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

Doom 3 VR is definitely worth checking out, but I'm 99% sure you need the BFG edition.

Yeah, that was what I was reading... Just wondered if it was possible without. ANOTHER BETHESDA RE-BUY. I only have the regular edition.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The Doom 3 VR mod is very well done, but Doom 3 itself has some of the most pillowy, unsatisfying weapons weapons in FPS history, so I ended up uninstalling it after an hour or two.

If Doom 3's pea shooters don't bother you, then you'll have a blast.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Shine posted:

The Doom 3 VR mod is very well done, but Doom 3 itself has some of the most pillowy, unsatisfying weapons weapons in FPS history, so I ended up uninstalling it after an hour or two.

If Doom 3's pea shooters don't bother you, then you'll have a blast.

I enjoyed it well enough. I think I played it young enough (and hadn't played enough of the actual classic doom) that the weapons felt just chunky enough to be satisfying. I haven't played it since, of course, so for all I know I could just grab it and have instant regret. :shrug:

Wouldn't be the first time.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Has anyone played Half Life: Alyx on a Quest specifically? I got mine in the mail the other day for use on a project unrelated to gaming but Alyx is the one VR game (besides maybe Beat Saber) that I'm interested in. Saw a review which tested it on all the major headsets and said pretty clearly that the Quest is the worst of the bunch and the controllers are ill-equipped for interacting with things in the game world, but maybe they're functional enough to still have fun with it. I ordered a USB-C to USB 3.0 cable to interface with my PC directly so performance shouldn't be as much of an issue, but if it's going to be a subpar experience due to the controllers I'm not sure I'll bother.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've been playing with a quest and it works fine for me. No time have I ever thought "Man if only I was playing on something else". Though I haven't beaten it so for all I know there is some puzzle that requires fine finger manipulation that you can't get on a quest.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Deeturbomber posted:

Is it -bad-? Because I figured a sale price would be a worthwhile time to get it.

Honestly, I'd love to play through Skyrim or Fallout 4 again in VR, but... 60 loving dollars -each-? gently caress Bethesda, sometimes (most of the time).

It's worth about 5 bucks. Play Doom 3 VR instead.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Has anyone played Half Life: Alyx on a Quest specifically? I got mine in the mail the other day for use on a project unrelated to gaming but Alyx is the one VR game (besides maybe Beat Saber) that I'm interested in. Saw a review which tested it on all the major headsets and said pretty clearly that the Quest is the worst of the bunch and the controllers are ill-equipped for interacting with things in the game world, but maybe they're functional enough to still have fun with it. I ordered a USB-C to USB 3.0 cable to interface with my PC directly so performance shouldn't be as much of an issue, but if it's going to be a subpar experience due to the controllers I'm not sure I'll bother.

It played great. Interactions are perfectly fine as Touch's hand pose and ergonomics are designed to enable naturalistic hand interactions, it's not as good at this as the Index controllers but it's not like they're perfect either. They're both effective, with the only significant concession being that squeeze interactions are abstracted to a button press instead of a pressure sensor.

If you play with Link, make sure to install Oculus Tray Tools and tweak the encode settings (as simple as selecting a profile and increasing render resolution a bit). It'll make for a substantial increase in sharpness at the cost of a tiny bit of latency.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 6, 2020

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I played with a quest with a video card that was pretty sub-par. There was some clear issues, which probably would mess with someone less used to having a big screen in their face than me. That said, it otherwise was perfectly fine. Depending on setup, I would highly recommend using the sideloaded (buy it on Oculus Quest and sideload the bits that let you hook through SteamVR) Virtual Desktop to bypass using a cord altogether. I honestly have felt like the performance using that has been more consistent (i.e. less wonky than the Oculus VR software that adds another layer from headset-to-SteamVR) than wiring it up. I used the recommended Anker USB3 cable.

I've not done a ton of experimentation since getting a much better video card, yet, but what little I messed with seems like it's about the same, to be honest. Just a narrower margin of difference.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

SCheeseman posted:

It played great. Interactions are perfectly fine as Touch's hand pose and ergonomics are designed to enable naturalistic hand interactions, it's not as good at this as the Index controllers but it's not like they're perfect either. They're both effective, with the only significant concession being that squeeze interactions are abstracted to a button press instead of a pressure sensor.

If you play with Link, make sure to install Oculus Tray Tools and tweak the encode settings (as simple as selecting a profile and increasing render resolution a bit). It'll make for a substantial increase in sharpness at the cost of a tiny bit of latency.

Sounds like I'll give it a try then once the cable shows up in the mail. Looking at the video again it seems like the Quest Link software was still in beta when they tested it and they didn't even standardize their hardware while comparing the headsets. Lots of people ripping them in the comments and saying it actually runs fine if you use the right port and have sufficient hardware.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If you install the public test channel version of the Oculus software, you can use the charging cable to play Link. It's only 3 meters and it'll throw a warning saying to use USB3, but otherwise it should provide about the same experience.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I finally sat and spent an afternoon getting the quest to run the custom beat saber stuff as well as Steam games through Remote Desktop and all that

First of all Beat Saber went from best game on the quest to this might be one of the best games ever made

Second of all jeez virtual desktop works well. Like, less than a frame of lag it is ridiculous - I connected my PC to the router with Ethernet which might be helping. I think I’m gonna buy a BUNCH of steam VR games now (I just downloaded Alyx to see if this runs ok)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I decided to bust out Elite: Dangerous last night and refamiliarize myself with the controls as it's been a few years. Downloaded the Steam portion that enables VR and god drat it's so much better with the Index vs the OG Rift. I can actually read all menus and maps. It's still basically space trucker...in space! but the tutorials seem to have been updated and it's pretty user friendly now.

Edit- Looks like the new DLC is VR, too. Welp there goes my night.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 6, 2020

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Nuts and Gum posted:

I decided to bust out Elite: Dangerous last night and refamiliarize myself with the controls as it's been a few years. Downloaded the Steam portion that enables VR and god drat it's so much better with the Index vs the OG Rift. I can actually read all menus and maps. It's still basically space trucker...in space! but the tutorials seem to have been updated and it's pretty user friendly now.

Edit- Looks like the new DLC is VR, too. Welp there goes my night.

The current DLC, Horizons, has VR support but the upcoming DLC will not at launch (which is next year).

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose
Invested a few minutes in getting Virtual Desktop setup to play Alyx on my Quest.

Holy poo poo it plays better than I expected. The only issue I'm running into is an audio one. When the striders walk by my headphones get distorted, is there a sound option I need to adjust within VD?

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Congobongo posted:

Invested a few minutes in getting Virtual Desktop setup to play Alyx on my Quest.

Holy poo poo it plays better than I expected. The only issue I'm running into is an audio one. When the striders walk by my headphones get distorted, is there a sound option I need to adjust within VD?

I don't have a good solution for this. I have a wireless headset so I just ran audio from my PC directly. There was a lot of distortion on loud effects in VD, and I don't know if there's a solution (or if it might be a Quest fault).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Congobongo posted:

Maybe lower the bit rate? I had this happen a couple times and a restart fixed it.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I just got my Rift S a few days ago, and aside from resolution issues, I'm finding myself bothered a lot by the black levels. It seems like the best you can get is a dark gray because of the LCD screen, I'm assuming. Is there anything that can be done about this to make darker games more immersive, or is there another modern headset out there (maybe OLED?) that doesn't have this issue? I've heard the Odyssey+ is good in that regard, but absolutely terrible about blurriness.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Sailor Dave posted:

I just got my Rift S a few days ago, and aside from resolution issues, I'm finding myself bothered a lot by the black levels. It seems like the best you can get is a dark gray because of the LCD screen, I'm assuming. Is there anything that can be done about this to make darker games more immersive, or is there another modern headset out there (maybe OLED?) that doesn't have this issue? I've heard the Odyssey+ is good in that regard, but absolutely terrible about blurriness.

I'm curious, what games have you tried it with? I noticed this on some older VR titles, but I felt like the black levels and contrast were way better playing newer titles like Alyx.

I think for many games the issue may be that they were created to look good on OLED displays and no one ever went back and tweaked anything when all the LCD headsets came out.

But if you've played Alyx in your S and you still feel that way, you may just be pickier about black levels than I am. I think the only current headset with OLED that I'd consider is the Vive Pro, but it is significantly more expensive than the S.

I've had OLED and LCD headsets and I feel like with the right software the difference is marginal. That's largely because first gen VR OLEDs never went to true black in order to prevent black smear (not sure if that's still true of the Vive Pro).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tip posted:

I've had OLED and LCD headsets and I feel like with the right software the difference is marginal. That's largely because first gen VR OLEDs never went to true black in order to prevent black smear (not sure if that's still true of the Vive Pro).

I can personally confirm it can go as black as the OG Vive at least.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can personally confirm it can go as black as the OG Vive at least.

Once it does, does it ever go back?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Does Alyx really need 12GB of Ram? I'm still on 8GB. PC is like a decade old besides the graphics card, which is a 1060 3GB. I probably should wait on playing it until I have a better computer, right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lowen SoDium posted:

Once it does, does it ever go back?

Well I certainly can't, this thing is way better than the original :v:.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Congobongo posted:

Striders don't walk by that much. I can only remember a few times from my playthrough, so if you can't fix it it might not be that big a deal.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lastdancer posted:

Does Alyx really need 12GB of Ram? I'm still on 8GB. PC is like a decade old besides the graphics card, which is a 1060 3GB. I probably should wait on playing it until I have a better computer, right?

My PC struggles with some games with a 6gb 1060 and 16gb ram, you definitely need an upgrade.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lastdancer posted:

VR tends to be pretty vram hungry, get at least a 1060 6gb for $100 or so off eBay.

DDR3 is also pretty cheap these days and it shouldn’t take much cash to get you to 16, 24 or 32GB of ram

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So the first time I used BMBF to get custom songs on the quest it launched straight out of install

Am I supposed to keep selecting BMBF from library to do that again?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So the first time I used BMBF to get custom songs on the quest it launched straight out of install

Am I supposed to keep selecting BMBF from library to do that again?

To add more songs? Launch BMBF from unknown sources. Just to play? Launch BeatSaber normally.

To update Beat Saber? Skip updates unless there are actual features you want. It’s kind of tedious to backup data and it’s best to find a current tutorial.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Got it thanks - BMBF isn’t working from unknown sources although the website works in the browser so I’m not sure what went wrong this time. I added about 50 songs yesterday though

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Got it thanks - BMBF isn’t working from unknown sources although the website works in the browser so I’m not sure what went wrong this time. I added about 50 songs yesterday though

You launch BMBF from the occulus TV app, it's in the second section in the menu on the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ahh! But either way the real issue was I just had to restart everything for some mysterious reason. Back to browsing bsaber on my quest and downloading bad maps because I like the song