Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Taintrunner posted:

True to form considering as GDI you're fighting a terrorist group and all.

And yet, it makes you think...

Sheen Sheen posted:

Man, the GDI campaign really doesn’t want you to be able to build tanks, huh

Super annoying that you can’t build tanks until more than halfway through the campaign but Nod can squish your soldiers with reckless abandon using light tanks by Mission 4

try hitting X to 'scatter', dunno how well it'll work

Katamari Democracy posted:

Im a mechanical man

"Fo' on the flo'. H O T W I R E"

The Question IRL posted:

Well if the video of them looking for the original FMV master tapes is anything to go by, they have what looks like the Master Tapes for the RA 2 FMV's* so at least they wouldn't have to spend crazy money upscalling lovely copies of the FMV's.

* = Also going by that video they had masters for Dune 2000.
So they could throw that in with the Tib Sun/ RA 2 remaster.

As much as I would absolutely love Dune 2000 thrown in the odds of it happening are slim to none even with the film coming out soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOemQuy2JUc&t=903s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The problem with these early mods is they're full dll replacements, we need something like minecraft's forge to unify them.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, this will quickly become a problem as more mods get released and they all start conflicting.

Drone posted:

Any way of extracting the new soundtrack from the game files? These remastered tracks, like the originals, fuckin' slap.

Yes, use this to open and extract all the files from MUSIC.MEG.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 7, 2020

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ErrEff posted:

Yeah, this will quickly become a problem as more mods get released and they all start conflicting.

Yes, use this to open and extract all the files from MUSIC.MEG.

How are mods releasing? It sounds like there's room for a little tool that can manage mods, turn them off & on, and compile multiple mods into a single dll. All assuming that mod authors are willing to release their mods as source, or as a patch to be applied against the base open source release even.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

As much as I would absolutely love Dune 2000 thrown in the odds of it happening are slim to none even with the film coming out soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOemQuy2JUc&t=903s

Interesting video... and also not encouraging. Would love to see D2K and Emperor included in subsequent C&C packs organized by engine/era. You'd think with the new film maybe that could provide the impetus to sort out rights and remaster the games.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Funcom nabbed an exclusive game license that spans like 6 years or something.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Several questions:

- Can I do 2v2 quickmatch in RA with a friend?

- How do I invite friends to my lobbies, I see no buttons for it?

- Anyone else having weird inconsistent Edge-of-Screen cursor movement? Top and left edges move fine when I drag the cursor on them, but bottom and right...don't?

- Is there a hotkey for multiple unit waypoints? Like a way to tell them Move to A, then move to B? Seems like this would be a way to work around ancient pathfinding.

Eararaldor posted:

1. Nope (Multiplayer is backwards as gently caress right now, can't even password games. Hence a large amount of game kicks.) Quick Match is just for 1v1 as well.

2. You can't!

3. Nope

4. No Waypoints!

What?

1: Yes, you can? Set teams. Unless I'm missing what quick match is.

2: Invite button is at the top above the team setup.

I haven't had any issues with 3 either and you can't even set up rally points yet. Which is weird because I thought you could in the original RA.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Several questions:

- Can I do 2v2 quickmatch in RA with a friend?

- How do I invite friends to my lobbies, I see no buttons for it?

- Anyone else having weird inconsistent Edge-of-Screen cursor movement? Top and left edges move fine when I drag the cursor on them, but bottom and right...don't?

- Is there a hotkey for multiple unit waypoints? Like a way to tell them Move to A, then move to B? Seems like this would be a way to work around ancient pathfinding.

I was having the same scroll issue and it's related to alt-tabbing the game in fullscreen mode while it's still loading or in menus. You're gonna have to restart it and not alt-tab it until you're in a mission.

Or set it to borderless windowed mode. For some reason it took me a couple of tries to make it stick but once it did a lot of my problems just evaporated.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I made an 8 player map for RA, it always crashes when you fill up to 7-8 players in an AI skirmish.

Works fine in standard maps, even made a quick 8 player map test and it crashes.

This happens with any custom map you make. Suuuuuuucks. I just wanna make a massive comp stomp map!

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 7, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Is there an illustrated guide for the Tib Dawn campaign. Think I'll play through it on hard and I'd like to know the elite strategy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Alkydere posted:

I was having the same scroll issue and it's related to alt-tabbing the game in fullscreen mode while it's still loading or in menus. You're gonna have to restart it and not alt-tab it until you're in a mission.

Or set it to borderless windowed mode. For some reason it took me a couple of tries to make it stick but once it did a lot of my problems just evaporated.

THANK YOU! You rule.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Wait so (third party) 6 player maps for TD exist, and I can have 6 players on them in skirmish, but going to multiplayer removes slots 5 and 6? Is that a bug or some bizarre limitation of the engine?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CitizenKain posted:

Its impressive how good this, and a great reminder on how far RTS games have come, because holy hell I forgot how terrible the AI and pathfinding is in the game.

How was the pathfinding in the BW remaster? I remember the original not being particularly bad but also not particularly good. It's the worst part of the aoe2 definitive. Crossbows will absolutely shred knights because they clump up and get stuck on each other. Feh

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 8, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The Question IRL posted:

Is there an illustrated guide for the Tib Dawn campaign. Think I'll play through it on hard and I'd like to know the elite strategy.

Someone posted this LP earlier and I've been using it, it's helpful!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696752&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

This is the only game where I love killing dogs. I mean I loving love it, that little yelp as they explode makes my dick hard. gently caress these interior missions, seriously.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ErrEff posted:

Funcom? Jesus Christ.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Angry Lobster posted:

Funcom? Jesus Christ.

Dune the free to play MMO!

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I've run into a really weird bug where there's no music playing on GDI 15A unless I set up a jukebox playlist. 15B and 15C are apparently fine.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Fishbus posted:

I made an 8 player map for RA, it always crashes when you fill up to 7-8 players in an AI skirmish.

Works fine in standard maps, even made a quick 8 player map test and it crashes.

This happens with any custom map you make. Suuuuuuucks. I just wanna make a massive comp stomp map!

Made one myself and the same happens here. Doesn't depend on which slots I fill or spots I pick (I was thinking maybe only the P0-P3 entities worked), it's just that if the lobby has more than 4 players it won't work. Mine hangs on the load screen forever.

But with 4 players it works just fine.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Build sandbags into the enemy base and wait till they run out of money.

That's how I beat the NOD campaign on hard. That and saving after every single kill in the limited unit missions (which is like half of them)

axeil fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 8, 2020

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

ErrEff posted:

:smith:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Do you unlock more gallery stuff by doing all the variations of each mission? I have been doing all of them so far but I haven't been paying attention to see if it actually does anything.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't think so, the popup usually says "unlocked by beating any Mission # level" or something similar.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Do you unlock more gallery stuff by doing all the variations of each mission? I have been doing all of them so far but I haven't been paying attention to see if it actually does anything.

Mouse over them to see what you need to do

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

RA2 wouldn't be that hard, simply because it already pretty much runs fine on Win10 with some tweaking and already has a lot of the Remastered QOL improvements stock. The only extra stuff it would strictly need is UI scaling and menus that support high-res instead of being stuck in the top left corner of the screen.

They could fix the netcode!

(They won't)

Seriously man, all people play it on is 60 fps and it's just too drat fast. You'll have kirovs hauling rear end at nearly default rocketeer speed.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Plek posted:

2: Invite button is at the top above the team setup.

gently caress me sideways. Thanks. It's so innocuous that neither myself or my friends saw it over the course of an entire evening. :argh:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Did not take me long to complete both GDI and NOD missions in a day. Everything is exactly as I remembered when I played this on Sega Saturn.

Red Alert on the other hand I played on PC and I forgot so many missions its not even funny. I usually just LAN partied with some cool people back when I was like 10 so these missions are gonna be weird. I do remember learning about the Ant missions and I will work on that last. I remember that being a pain to complete.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

OneEightHundred posted:

The other big way to econ harass them is steal their silos, which gives you all of the money inside. Whether that's better than the refinery depends on the mission though, i.e. how protected the refinery is vs. the silos.

Just remember that if you sell the silo, you need to have enough silo capacity of your own to store the transferred Tiberium or it will go poof.

i still love how RA nerfed engineers, but also created thieves for this purpose.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im a mechanical man

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Laterite posted:

A nice mod would be one that bumps up Tiberium regen a bit. Last night playing PvE I ran into the classic problem where everyone snarfs up the Tiberium so it's a combination of harvesters going all over the map to scrape up 1 or 2 blocks worth, and the armies being reduced to selling buildings for riflemen and whatever vehicles you have left just to sit in a stalemate.

I thought either that or Tiberium should be more valuable. Each haul brings in enough to build like two tanks at most.

Heck, making a second base in C&C 1 isn't that advisable on smaller maps because of the $5000 needed for an MCV, when that could buy you like 30 grenadiers.

For those struggling with the campaign: There is no shame in using the travelling sandbag tactic to block off the enemies entrances and to cordon off areas for tiberium to regrow. It's also a better way to build expansions and spaced-buildings than to build an MCV. To win without gaming the travelling sandbag strat, lots of save scumming will be involved.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 8, 2020

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

ErrEff posted:

Made one myself and the same happens here. Doesn't depend on which slots I fill or spots I pick (I was thinking maybe only the P0-P3 entities worked), it's just that if the lobby has more than 4 players it won't work. Mine hangs on the load screen forever.

But with 4 players it works just fine.

I downloaded one of the user maps (i don't know if they are randomly picked from steam or are moderated) but they seem to work.

I'm not sure what magical extra bit I'm missing, I saw a 'home' waypoint and even adding that still results in it crashing.

The annoying this is there's a crash reporter but it doesn't let you see it (and I can't find it on disk) so I couldn't even perhaps get a whiff of a reason why.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does the new RA come with upscaled themes?

It would be sweet to run Windows 10 with this pointer:

The original Window 95 RA installer, as was cool to do at the time, came with themes to change your desktop color scheme, some main icons, and cursor/pointers for selection, window management, and all. Make your computer startup sound like a Tesla coil! The original Allied wallpaper had my friends asking wtf they were doing to that girl.

I spent entirely too much time carving up the original archive to extract the cursor for this post so here are the original wallpapers for fun:

Hed fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 8, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Im a mechanical man

Great shot!

Return to base immediately :ohdear:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
huh, so apparently the Hard difficulty mode is completely busted. A Light Tank will beat a Medium Tank 1v1 and Grenadiers/Flamethrowers will utterly destroy things because turns out instead of giving the AI more cash or faster builds they buffed every unit and weakened yours.

They really need to consider re-working this. Missions with limited units are nearly impossible because of it. Makes sense why I was having so much trouble with the later NOD limited resource missions.

Some guy made a video about it that shows it in action. The one GDI mission where you have to destroy the turrets on the opposite shore seems to be impossible to complete on Hard unless you get very lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nADjefF4l6c

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 8, 2020

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

axeil posted:

huh, so apparently the Hard difficulty mode is completely busted. A Light Tank will beat a Medium Tank 1v1 and Grenadiers/Flamethrowers will utterly destroy things because turns out instead of giving the AI more cash or faster builds they buffed every unit and weakened yours. Some guy made a video about it that shows it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nADjefF4l6c

Same logic for casual mode.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

Same logic for casual mode.

Yeah, the video shows off Casual mode too which seems to just make everything practically invulnerable. I kinda wish they had went with tweaks to the economy rather than tweaks to units for the new difficulty sliders in Tiberian Dawn.

As far as I'm aware they didn't touch difficulty in Red Alert since it already had 3 difficulty modes.

Looking through GitHub, here's everything that Hard seems to change.

https://github.com/electronicarts/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/master/TIBERIANDAWN/HOUSE.CPP

Enemies alert in approximately half the time (4 to 10 ticks instead of 5 to 20)

code:
		if (GameToPlay == GAME_NORMAL && PlayerPtr->Difficulty == DIFF_HARD) {
			AlertTime = (TICKS_PER_MINUTE * Random_Pick(4, 10));
		} else {
			if (GameToPlay == GAME_NORMAL && PlayerPtr->Difficulty == DIFF_EASY) {
				AlertTime = (TICKS_PER_MINUTE * Random_Pick(16, 40));
			} else {
				AlertTime = (TICKS_PER_MINUTE * Random_Pick(5, 20));
			}
		}
	}
Seems that the logic for re-building harvesters is different on hard, not quite sure how though.

code:

/*
	**	A computer controlled house will try to build a replacement
	**	harvester if possible.
	*/
if (IQ >= Rule.IQHarvester && !IsTiberiumShort && !IsHuman && BQuantity[STRUCT_REFINERY] > UQuantity[UNIT_HARVESTER] && Difficulty != DIFF_HARD) {
		//if (UnitTypeClass::As_Reference(UNIT_HARVESTER).Level <= (unsigned)Control.TechLevel) {
		if (UnitTypeClass::As_Reference(UNIT_HARVESTER).Level <= (unsigned)BuildLevel) {
			BuildUnit = UNIT_HARVESTER;
			return(TICKS_PER_SECOND);

/*
				**	A computer controlled house will try to build a replacement
				**	harvester if possible. Never replace harvesters if the game
				**	is in easy mode.
				*/
				if (!(GameToPlay == GAME_NORMAL && PlayerPtr->Difficulty == DIFF_EASY) && !IsHuman && (ActiveBScan & STRUCTF_REFINERY) && !(UScan & UNITF_HARVESTER)) {
					techno = &UnitTypeClass::As_Reference(UNIT_HARVESTER);
					if (techno->Scenario <= BuildLevel) break;
					techno = 0;
				}

}
https://github.com/electronicarts/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/master/TIBERIANDAWN/UNIT.CPP

AI is more aggressive about crushing infantry, always doing it if possible on Hard

code:
/*
			**	Try to crush the attacker if it can be crushed by this unit and this unit is
			**	not equipped with a flame type weapon. If this unit has a weapon and the target
			**	is not very close, then fire on it instead. In easy mode, they never run over the
			**	player. In hard mode, they always do. In normal mode, they only overrun past
			**	mission #8.
			*/
			if ((Class->Primary == WEAPON_NONE || (Distance(source) < 0x0180 && BulletTypeClass::As_Reference(Weapons[Class->Primary].Fires).Warhead != WARHEAD_FIRE)) &&
						(GameToPlay != GAME_NORMAL ||
						*this != UNIT_HARVESTER ||
						BuildLevel > 8 ||
						PlayerPtr->Difficulty == DIFF_HARD) &&
						!(GameToPlay == GAME_NORMAL && PlayerPtr->Difficulty == DIFF_EASY) &&
						Class->IsCrusher &&  source->Is_Techno() && ((TechnoTypeClass const &)source->Class_Of()).IsCrushable) {

Assign_Destination(source->As_Target());
				Assign_Mission(MISSION_MOVE)

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 8, 2020

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
They do tweak the economy, things cost like 10% less/more

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

They do tweak the economy, things cost like 10% less/more

They do?

Do you know which file it's in? I'm trying to look through now and modify the game so they have the other hard buffs but not the damage buffs.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I'm makin the tiberium last doing a checkerboard pattern as long as I can and then doing the alternate squares once the first ones have reseeded.
:shepface: Tiberium takes over the planet earlier in my playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

gary oldmans diary posted:

I'm makin the tiberium last doing a checkerboard pattern as long as I can and then doing the alternate squares once the first ones have reseeded.
:shepface: Tiberium takes over the planet earlier in my playthrough.

Oh god. Micro'ing the harvesters sounds dreadful.