Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I see the pyramids are trending on twitter in regards to the colston statue thing. I'm disappointed more people aren't pointing out they were built by aliens not slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sounds to me like if you want your statues not to get pulled down you should make them pyramid shaped.

And they would still be statues of chodes.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/re_colston/status/1269694476861267979?s=19

lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

He was shuffled out in the 2020 reshuffle, apparently Minister of State for the Middle East and North Africa but not part of the cabinet according to their page.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Kin posted:

Hmm, yeah i stumbled across these stands rather than a unit.

I dunno how well they'd cope with something thats the max size though. I think i'd be more trusting of the stability on a unit.

That FITUEYES Stand looks pretty good. With the 50" i've got now the maximum area of the included stand takes up most of the space on the current corer unit i've got. I figured a 70" one would end up being too big for it so that stand might be a good alternative.

Believe it or not, SA has a thread for TV's and TV stands.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461&pagenumber=404&perpage=40

Wachter posted:

They are the most diverse; they pay fealty to all Four of the Ruinous Powers

Mallal 4 Life.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

You know what, if BLM protestors manage to roll the pyramids into the Nile I'm cool with that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also afaik they weren't even built by slaves, they were built by farmers when they weren't harvesting or sowing.

If you listen to herodotus you'll end up belieivng that flies have eight legs cos he couldn't be arsed to check.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

when big social events like this are happening the old gammon contingent of facebook love nothing more than putting up incredibly inflammatory media from Katie Hopkins et. al trying to invoke sentiment about Lee Rigby and have nothing more insightful to say about it than 'wow makes you think, real food for thought' and then get all huffy and call you a bleeding heart lefty when pressed for anything more substantial

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If only there were a way to throw the miserable auld gits into the sea as well.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Angepain posted:

Edinburgh people talking about the statue of Dundas in St Andrew Square, so I had a wee look at the guy's history for the first time in ever and while it would be quite difficult for a crowd to take down,

Ah, yeah, that'd be a loving feat :catstare:

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Also: while the pyramids were never pulled down, they used to be covered in white stone, but that stone was removed over the centuries to make other buildings. Not to mention that none of the other original "seven wonders" are standing at all now. History is brutally destroyed all the time. And we have plenty of pictures of this Colston statue, and information about him and his work, whereas some historians wonder if the hanging gardens of Babylon even existed outside of stories. Indeed, I should say that the statue being pulled down and thrown in the water is just a continuation of the history of it, and generations of people will be able to see the Twitter videos of the destruction and learn why it happened. History is not destroyed - nothing is lost on the internet.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
gently caress that statue, and specifically gently caress everyone who brings up the argument that we have to leave them up so people can learn from them.

I'd be willing to stake my a decent chunk of change that anyone who made that argument wouldn't have known who the gently caress Colston was if asked, even if they walked past the statue on a daily loving basis.

It is such a dumb bad argument; the purpose of statues of specific people, fundamentally, is glorification, or remembrance, not education.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jippa posted:

I see the pyramids are trending on twitter in regards to the colston statue thing. I'm disappointed more people aren't pointing out they were built by aliens not slaves.

Ridiculous. Everyone knows it was the Irish who built the pyramids.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

honestly I'm surprised that Colston got taken down by a couple of people pulling on a rope, whoever made that statue must have cheaped out massively on materials

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

From the looks of it the giving point was between the statue and the plinth, the statue held up pretty well except for when the arse fell off.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

He ain't wrong.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/DawkinsReturns/status/1269661639869153281
Great thread for filling up on fash tears. I especially like this one:

This was a bad move imo to vandalize.
It's one thing to take down a statue where the person is primarily known to be or do a bad thing.
But here with Churchill, we know he was a fucker in private, but most primarily know him for WW2.
And esp the day after D-Day, the narrative is stacked against the protesters here.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Nah everyone should know about his treatment of Bengal

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But the same rationale that pulling down the statue of colston is good because it means more people hear about what a knobhead he was, applies doubly to churchill where if you wait for "the narrative" to turn against churchill you'll be waiting until doomsday.

Throw the twat in the thames and tell people why.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

happyhippy posted:

It's one thing to take down a statue where the person is primarily known to be or do a bad thing.
But here with Churchill, we know he was a fucker in private, but most primarily know him for WW2.
And esp the day after D-Day, the narrative is stacked against the protesters here.

Down this route lies the Bermuda triangle that good old Ed was pulled into

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

gently caress that statue, and specifically gently caress everyone who brings up the argument that we have to leave them up so people can learn from them.

I'd be willing to stake my a decent chunk of change that anyone who made that argument wouldn't have known who the gently caress Colston was if asked, even if they walked past the statue on a daily loving basis.

It is such a dumb bad argument; the purpose of statues of specific people, fundamentally, is glorification, or remembrance, not education.

I know poo poo loads more about him now than I did this morning! Protest works!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

happyhippy posted:

if we do everything according to the gammon "narrative" there wouldn't have been any protests today, or in fact ever

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I do worry that trashing these statues will galvanise people against the movement with cries of :decorum: not that I think it shouldn't have been done because if you actually want change you have to get a bit dirty, just walking along shouting slogans gets you nowhere, the Iraq War proved that.

EDIT: Plus its not as if slavery has been consigned to history, it wasn't that long ago people were arrested in the U.K. for keeping slaves. I dread to think how many people are still enslaved in the U.K. today.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 7, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I know poo poo loads more about him now than I did this morning! Protest works!

Yeah, me too.

It doesn't remotely surprise me that we have statues for shits like this, basically any white man well known enough to have a statue of them before about 1950 was a colossal twunt of some stripe or another, with a very limited number of exceptions.

If this movement really takes off, we really could be in for something... good.

But I refuse to use the H word.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

If the gammon don't like it, they should have a big protest march about it.

What? They're all winded after just standing up and no-one showed? Oh, well, into the Thames with Churchill after all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It might, but the horrible poo poo who think that already vote tory every single day of their lives and that is how their political power is executed, whereas the footage of a crowd of people pulling down a statue and throwing it in the sea is, IMO, a far more effective call to mobilise the left. This is what you can do, together, and nobody can stop you.

Patel and Javid can sit in their fancy chairs al day long and say how terrible it is, but you can go out with your comrades and throw colston into the sea.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Julio Cruz posted:

if we do everything according to the gammon "narrative" there wouldn't have been any protests today, or in fact ever

Pretty much. Tear the fucker down, if possible IMO.

It's not like the screaming gammmons, thumbs, and ignorati are ever going to acknowledge the wrongs he committed ever. At least giving him a swim in the Thames might prompt some more open-minded people to go, "Wait he did/said what?", rather than the completely inadequate propaganda poo poo we learn in school history classes..

[e]: And yeah, pretty galvanising for people to take some direct action, and not just being fobbed off continually by ineffectual handwringing.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

thespaceinvader posted:

If this movement really takes off, we really could be in for something... good.

We are entering the

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It'll galvanise the fash but theyr basically in power already so

I was remembering back to when we were afraid UKIP were going to be a thing lmao jesus christ

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Pretty much. Tear the fucker down, if possible IMO.

It's not like the screaming gammmons, thumbs, and ignorati are ever going to acknowledge the wrongs he committed ever. At least giving him a swim in the Thames might prompt some more open-minded people to go, "Wait he did/said what?", rather than the completely inadequate propaganda poo poo we learn in school history classes..

[e]: And yeah, pretty galvanising for people to take some direct action, and not just being fobbed off continually by ineffectual handwringing.

Seriously.

The past week or two has been loving harrowing, but more than any other time in the last few years, has made me want to actually get out and DO things. Has made me feel like there are other people out there, other than the people ITT, who are pissed off enough to tear down a loving statue.

Shielding still prevents me, but I'm getting much, much closer to deciding it's a worthwhile risk anyway.

Good luck doing anything about the hilariously large amount of poo poo named after horrible people in my hometown though :(

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's not like the screaming gammmons, thumbs, and ignorati are ever going to acknowledge the wrongs he committed ever.

Well I've seen a few call it "common and ok". Sometimes they even remember to note that they mean they're talking about centuries past (but not often)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
History isn't a thing abstracted from the present, tearing down a statue is a historical event in itself, destruction and creation are two sides of the same coin. Keeping the statue of someone awful to 'preserve history' is a nonsensical argument, and many of the people making it are discussing it in extremely bad faith because I can 100% guarantee most of them enthusiastically cheered the toppling of Lenin monuments across the former USSR, not to mention the Saddam statues during the gulf war.

That said, I actually think they should stay up, but we should be encouraged to deface and vandalise them. Then they just become cool modern art pieces that come to celebrate the rejection of their original purpose, while daring any dumbasses to make any 'b..b..b..but the history' statements - the history is right loving there however you spin it and we're showing you exactly what we think of it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm glad the statue is down, but I wish there was some way we could have remembered who the statue was actually of. Shame they're the sole locus of historical knowledge.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps some sort of elaborate animatronic so we can experience the joy of watching it hit the deck over and over again.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
I kind of wish that the anti-slavery narrative would turn to include the very current and severe problems with modern slavery and human trafficking in the UK. People tend to not realize just how many workers even in mundane occupations like construction, farming and catering (not to mention legally-grey areas such as sex industry) work out of coercion, blackmail and threats of violence.

The stricter migration policies that are surely incoming after full brexit obviously not helping these workers at all.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

History isn't a thing abstracted from the present, tearing down a statue is a historical event in itself, destruction and creation are two sides of the same coin. Keeping the statue of someone awful to 'preserve history' is a nonsensical argument, and many of the people making it are discussing it in extremely bad faith because I can 100% guarantee most of them enthusiastically cheered the toppling of Lenin monuments across the former USSR, not to mention the Saddam statues during the gulf war.

That said, I actually think they should stay up, but we should be encouraged to deface and vandalise them. Then they just become cool modern art pieces that come to celebrate the rejection of their original purpose, while daring any dumbasses to make any 'b..b..b..but the history' statements - the history is right loving there however you spin it and we're showing you exactly what we think of it.
They're either arguing in 100% bad faith or they think that history is about fine art of dead white dudes with dates written on them and not points when tensions between or within groups of people, often triggered by random or unrelated matters, result in significant events.

30 years of statue being asked to go + pandemic + heightened awareness of racial injustice = protest = statue gone.

I don't think there's a locus of sentiment anywhere near as strong to do that with Churchill in London, but pointing out repeatedly with marker that he's a racist is perhaps a better way to get a conversation going, whereas all the sentiment to get Colston into the sea, making some history, was already locally there.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

it'll be a good summer project for the engineering students at the universities

OwlFancier posted:

From the looks of it the giving point was between the statue and the plinth, the statue held up pretty well except for when the arse fell off.

yes and also when the backside of the statue detached :dadjoke:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
So happy and proud of Bristol today.

Is there a list of worthy causes to donate to here and in the U.K. for social justice?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I really want to make the dunking of the Colston into an annual tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

history is about fine art of dead white dudes with dates written on them and not points when tensions between or within groups of people, often triggered by random or unrelated matters, result in significant events.

Unfortunately this is exactly how many people seem to understand history and the British school system's approach to teaching it has generally encouraged that (bad) interpretation of the discipline, the Grate Britane Whig bullshit I was taught in school was tantamount to nationalist propaganda imho. By A-level it was a little better, and a couple of my teachers were really cool and tried to introduce more complexity, but the earlier stuff was just hot garbage that bore zero resemblance to the academic field.