Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sorry i went to reply with it at the time but i went to sleep instead and then i came back. much like snorlax the sleeping pokemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Vinylshadow posted:

The game expects you to rotate pokemon, and there's a lot of great pokemon that makes doing that far more manageable, especially since you can swap them out on the fly in the Wild Area (Although it doesn't heal them, as far as I know)

You can hot-swap pokemon to/from your PC boxes anywhere, not just the Wild Area; the only exception is during stadium challenges. You get the PC Access thingy the first time you visit the Wild Area. And no, the PC doesn't heal pokemon anymore, probably because having that AND hot swapping would render Pokemon Centers and restorative items moot.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I love super nerd Oleana and I wish we got more of that in the games, would've helped her as a character a lot.

This was one of the more interesting episodes for me.
So the next one will either be on Piers or Alistair because it seems whoever briefly appears, stars in the next episode.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I love super nerd Oleana and I wish we got more of that in the games, would've helped her as a character a lot.

See this does so much for her it's ridiculous. It beautifully explains why she lost her mind so quickly when you fight her. The woman is under ENORMOUS amounts of stress, is a massive perfectionist and has a record of depriving herself of sleep. Her behavior and slavish devotion to Rose make sense now because he literally was the only one who understood or entertained her theories. And she's not his secretary as suspected....she's the loving vice president of the entire company. Her character did a 180 on development and it only took 6 minutes to explain that. But what nettles me is they couldn't get that information into the game??? They couldn't show us or have an NPC explain any of that? Christ this thing was rushed.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Vinylshadow posted:

The game expects you to rotate pokemon, and there's a lot of great pokemon that makes doing that far more manageable, especially since you can swap them out on the fly in the Wild Area (Although it doesn't heal them, as far as I know)

Also if you get a Wooloo with Run Away, you can basically explore the entire Wild Area (at least places that aren't explicitly gated off until plot progression is met) and get some great loot really early on in terms of items

I ended up with something like 17 actively rotating 'mons by the endgame.

Note: You can't always access your box, but when you can, you can access your boxes directly from the party screen, no need to visit a PC to rotate out your team. Hence the conclusion that the game wants you to rotate through a much larger team.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I evolved my Libero Cinderace and oops high jump kick is an egg move

Seems like you’d really want High Jump kick on this thing (I know you can get egg moves on Pokémon now but it’s still a bit of a hassle)

Similarly Grookey does not come with Fake Out

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I evolved my Libero Cinderace and oops high jump kick is an egg move

Seems like you’d really want High Jump kick on this thing (I know you can get egg moves on Pokémon now but it’s still a bit of a hassle)

Similarly Grookey does not come with Fake Out

You can get away with Sucker Punch, but that's another egg move. You didn't raise a Blaze Cinderace? It was still good without it's hidden ability, unlike Grookey.

E: it may be a hassle, but breeding another rabbit and giving it like 2 pieces of candy ain't that bad. Intelleon gets Sucker Punch and can breed with it.

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 6, 2020

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Never did no and my main team is a Sun team :v:

Although I do Sun Trickroom

Venusaur
Torkoal
Dusclops
Snorlax
Lapras
Indeedee

Lapras stopped being useful by the end but I did get to master like 4 times with this. people expect Indeedee Dusclops lead or Venusaur Torkoal

Lead Venusaur Dusclops and get either a sleep or trick room off

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Flopsy posted:

See this does so much for her it's ridiculous. It beautifully explains why she lost her mind so quickly when you fight her. The woman is under ENORMOUS amounts of stress, is a massive perfectionist and has a record of depriving herself of sleep. Her behavior and slavish devotion to Rose make sense now because he literally was the only one who understood or entertained her theories. And she's not his secretary as suspected....she's the loving vice president of the entire company. Her character did a 180 on development and it only took 6 minutes to explain that. But what nettles me is they couldn't get that information into the game??? They couldn't show us or have an NPC explain any of that? Christ this thing was rushed.

Let's be honest, which do you prefer? Being shown just how stressful her job is in a episode of Twilight Wings, or be explicitly told that her job is stressful in a Pokemon League Card? Pokemon games have always been laser focused on the player and their objectives. While the day to day operations of Macro Cosmos may be fasinating to the goons who have been visiting this site longer than most of Pokemon's player base has been alive, it's really not relevant to the player so at most the game either vaguely alludes to it or puts the information in a League card. To do differently would require substantial changes to how pokemon game plots are structured. Which given how many older players have never forgiven Game Freak for having the gall to switch to 3d, is probably more trouble than it's worth.

:goonsay: Also Oleana is both Rose's secretary and vice president of Macro Cosmos

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Like I said you can have an NPC summarize what's going on with her very neatly or have one or two scenes of her running Macro Cosmos operations that have her clearly look tired before maybe talking to the player and/or giving them an item before being called away for more work. I'm not asking for Shakespeare here. If what I described was maximum of what we get it'd still be more than what we're originally given. You can still have the player as main focus but give a little development to the other characters for godsakes that's Hop's MO. Expecting Pokemon to do the bare minimum of character development isn't an out of the ordinary expectation. Fun characters are a draw in the series just as much the pokemon sometimes.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 7, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Taking the time to give random NPCs more insightful dialogue to flesh out other characters would be interesting instead of random non sequiturs

FRLG had the Fame Checker that more-or-less did exactly that

Take Mr. Fuji, for example - all the game directly tells you is that he's the Lavender Tower caretaker, but talking to people also fills you in that he's friends with Blaine, will confront Team Rocket for the sake of pokemon, enters magazine raffles, isn't from Kanto originally, and shuns fame and fortune to focus on caring for lost and abused pokemon

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Like I said you can have an NPC summarize what's going on with her very neatly or have one or two scenes of her running Macro Cosmos operations that have her clearly look tired before maybe talking to the player and/or giving them an item before being called away for more work.

You didn't answer my question. Would you really have prefered having an NPC tell you what is going on her over being shown what is going on with her in this episode? Would you really have cared at the time if they did have an npc around so you could press a through a summary about someone not really plot relevant?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

mikemil828 posted:

You didn't answer my question. Would you really have prefered having an NPC tell you what is going on her over being shown what is going on with her in this episode? Would you really have cared at the time if they did have an npc around so you could press a through a summary about someone not really plot relevant?

Why can't I have both? A game needs to stand on it's on two feet. Twilight wings is very good but it shouldn't be the only way we get any idea of what's going on with these guys months after the fact. And yes I would've loved to know what her deal was because it made her and Rose EXTREMELY weak borderline random villains and the ending feel deeply rushed and unenjoyable.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 7, 2020

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Why can't I have both? A game needs to stand on it's on two feet. Twilight wings is very good but it shouldn't be the only way we get any idea of what's going on with these guys months after the fact. And yes I would've loved to know what her deal was because it made her and Rose EXTREMELY weak borderline random villains and the ending feel deeply rushed and unenjoyable.

Because it would be a waste of money animating something you already know? It's not like any of the other episodes covered already tread ground. While a game should stand on two feet, it shouldn't be bloated with unnecessary detail, especially when the game's primary demographics aren't going to care about that detail. Luckily Pokemon isn't just a game, it's a franchise, the biggest franchise in fact. They can have a game with a succinct narrative so the majority of gamers can get on with what they really want to do with the game, which is ride back and forth on their bikes for hours on end spinning the pokemon breeding slot machine, while also have anime shorts that can give these characters and the setting the care it needs. Win-Win.

Anyway even if you were made well aware of Oleana's circumstances in game it's very doubtful it would have helped make her and Rose not EXTREMELY weak borderline random villains, a potential energy crisis a millenia in the future is a very silly reason to risk causing the apocalypse regardless of how overworked you are.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 7, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oh

mikemil828 posted:

Because it would be a waste of money animating something you already know? It's not like any of the other episodes covered already tread ground. While a game should stand on two feet, it shouldn't be bloated with unnecessary detail, especially when the game's primary demographics aren't going to care about that detail. Luckily Pokemon isn't just a game, it's a franchise, the biggest franchise in fact. They can have a game with a succinct narrative so the majority of gamers can get on with what they really want to do with the game, which is ride back and forth on their bikes for hours on end spinning the pokemon breeding slot machine, while also have anime shorts that can give these characters and the setting the care it needs. Win-Win.

Anyway even if you were made well aware of Oleana's circumstances in game it's very doubtful it would have helped make her and Rose not EXTREMELY weak borderline random villains, a potential energy crisis a millenia in the future is a very silly reason to risk causing the apocalypse regardless of how overworked you are.

Oh honey Sword and Shield is bloated alright. Just not with details. As a matter of fact it's revoltingly sparse on those, ask anybody on this board about the plot and they'll tell you it sucked monkey tits. Actually making an enjoyable game isn't unnecessary fluff and if animating 6 minute episodes puts nintendo over budget then maybe they're having bigger problems than we think.

And as a breeder spinning back and forth creating murder beasts is my bread and butter and even I would like a half way entertaining experience not a hasty rear end rush job that chopped more than half the appeal out of the game to sell back as DLC.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I would like to get a worse individual game, for the sake of ~the grand overall narrative~

something something Marvel movies

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Oh honey Sword and Shield is bloated alright. Just not with details. As a matter of fact it's revoltingly sparse on those, ask anybody on this board about the plot and they'll tell you it sucked monkey tits. Actually making an enjoyable game isn't unnecessary fluff and if animating 6 minute episodes puts nintendo over budget then maybe they're having bigger problems than we think.

So, you are saying that it is both rushed and bloated? That the story both didn't take up enough of your time and it took up too much? That the story sucks monkey tits? In that case it doesn't seem like having an npc in game give you a short summary on Oleana would have helped all that much, if anything it would just emphasize how bad the writing is that interesting character development would be relegated to some random npc.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

mikemil828 posted:

So, you are saying that it is both rushed and bloated? That the story both didn't take up enough of your time and it took up too much? That the story sucks monkey tits? In that case it doesn't seem like having an npc in game give you a short summary on Oleana would have helped all that much, if anything it would just emphasize how bad the writing is that interesting character development would be relegated to some random npc.

Oleana’s backstory being nonexistent is only part of the much larger problem, yes. She and Rose were written so terribly that we would want anything that could hope to explain and expand on their nonexistent characters. Even just having them both poisoned with Eternatus neurotoxin like Lusamine would be a start.

Sword and Shield had such awful writing that seeing a few shorts that make the characters and setting more fleshed out get us excited about what could have been.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mikemil828 posted:

Bloated with terrible ideas on game design and sparse in anything story, is what he is getting at I believe.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't get the idea that this couldn't be in the games after SM/USUM had sidequests specifically meant to show you the lives of Trial Captains and their issues in a way that wouldn't impact the gameplay and was fully optional, but rewarding if you went for it, as well as expanding upon the region and its inhabitants through those very same sidequests.

You don't need to have all of this in the story itself, you can make the player have to put a slight bit of extra effort for it, but it's nice to have it and greatly helps make the game feel fleshed out and interesting.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

mikemil828 posted:

I was talking about the wild area but go off.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
don't be silly, there's tons and tons of story and in depth character exploration in the game, it's all just happening over there slightly off screen

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

mikemil828 posted:

I'm sorry the pokemon game is bad and they want you to pay half the price again to get slightly more of the bad job they made.

Maybe for the DLC that's just another wild area they'll fix the online and loading to not cause the open areas to run at 10 FPS and hitch every time someone loads in.

Maybe.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Game Freak chose to focus more on other aspects like how Pokémon function in battles as opposed to fluff like backstories, and even then, they went into more detail with the Pokémon then the human characters. I mean we have a whole story about why Galarian Corsola and Cursola are ghost types; a meteorite landing in Galar caused climate change which drove the local Corsola to extinction... only to cheat death and become Ghost types, and then gaining a new evolution with their newfound undeath. In a franchise called "Pokémon", the main focus is probably going to be on the creatures while the human characters take a secondary (but just as vital role).

Now that I think about it, this "sectioning off backstories from the game itself and putting it in a different form of media" is exactly what Final Fantasy XV did with its story.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the biggest media franchise in the world has the ability to do both, better

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Maybe for the DLC that's just another wild area they'll fix the online and loading to not cause the open areas to run at 10 FPS and hitch every time someone loads in.

Maybe.

Hahahahaha

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
You know, to each their own, and as a lifelong fan of the series I can say that no, this isn't one of the best games in the series. I'd put it about on par with how I felt about XY. But on my main file I've got around 220 hours logged and I've played a couple of other times through just for fun and I feel like I got my money's worth as far as entertainment goes. It helps that I've been deep in the competitive scene for awhile now and that's where most of my hours come from. And I'm honestly pretty stoked about the DLC, even if it's mostly more of the same, since I had fun with the game anyway.

I really do hope that Gamefreak can learn something from the negative reaction from this game and make the next one better though. But until I stop having fun with these games I'm going to keep on playing them. And if you're not having fun anymore, it might be time to move on or just hold out for a hopefully better game in the future.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Indeed they could... but they probably won't because they're going to make the same shitload of money, regardless of how much extra effort they put into minor things like a supporting character's backstory.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Plasbad posted:

You know, to each their own, and as a lifelong fan of the series I can say that no, this isn't one of the best games in the series. I'd put it about on par with how I felt about XY. But on my main file I've got around 220 hours logged and I've played a couple of other times through just for fun and I feel like I got my money's worth as far as entertainment goes. It helps that I've been deep in the competitive scene for awhile now and that's where most of my hours come from. And I'm honestly pretty stoked about the DLC, even if it's mostly more of the same, since I had fun with the game anyway.

I really do hope that Gamefreak can learn something from the negative reaction from this game and make the next one better though. But until I stop having fun with these games I'm going to keep on playing them. And if you're not having fun anymore, it might be time to move on or just hold out for a hopefully better game in the future.

I'm capable of doing the part I like most (breeding) and the max soup in the DLC is a godsend. However I don't enjoy paying for a complete dex, a lot of the game feels very sparse outside of the battle tower, and tragically I actually love a lot of the characters and pokemon it's just that most don't get a lot of time or care dedicated to them and compared to games of the past that's a loving bummer. I can have fun but I'm not enjoying myself as much as I did.

Super No Vacancy posted:

THIS ^^^^^

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Pokemon is and will be forever "missed opportunities: the franchise"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's the most annoying thing. These shorts do a ton to give rich characterization to these characters that had very little time in the game. The game is a JRPG. Towns filled with people who can talk about these people, ever since the NES era you could have an important NPC have a house to show more of their personality. And SwSh just doesn't. Some gym leaders don't get anything outside their battle, and Rose comes outta nowhere with his plan. On the Nintendo 3DS you had, idk, Guzma's house was just there early on and you could see how deep his insecurities run, along with cutscenes showing his past and his expressions and personality, or the two differently barren towns that show Team Skull as a band of disenfranchised youths, first their poverty ridden home and next the base where they run things. Gladio having a motel where he just tells you "get out"

You can absolutely tell a more compelling story than Sword and Shield, Pokemon has done this again and again in more restrictive platforms.

But anyway, at least their producing more and more anime stuff nowadays. I really enjoy the current season, and Twilight Wings is loving amazing. Their shorts are hit or miss, but having such a wide variety like the recent 'toon' one is great. And Pokemon Go is the best game since they keep dropping the ball after Sun and Moon.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

It's the most annoying thing. These shorts do a ton to give rich characterization to these characters that had very little time in the game. The game is a JRPG. Towns filled with people who can talk about these people, ever since the NES era you could have an important NPC have a house to show more of their personality. And SwSh just doesn't. Some gym leaders don't get anything outside their battle, and Rose comes outta nowhere with his plan. On the Nintendo 3DS you had, idk, Guzma's house was just there early on and you could see how deep his insecurities run, along with cutscenes showing his past and his expressions and personality, or the two differently barren towns that show Team Skull as a band of disenfranchised youths, first their poverty ridden home and next the base where they run things. Gladio having a motel where he just tells you "get out"

You can absolutely tell a more compelling story than Sword and Shield, Pokemon has done this again and again in more restrictive platforms.

But anyway, at least their producing more and more anime stuff nowadays. I really enjoy the current season, and Twilight Wings is loving amazing. Their shorts are hit or miss, but having such a wide variety like the recent 'toon' one is great. And Pokemon Go is the best game since they keep dropping the ball after Sun and Moon.

Very nicely put. I may be hoping for too much but would desperately love some more twilight wings just so every character can get some time to shine. I wanna hear Piers sing dammit! If they don't give him a northern accent I'm going to be pissed though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I agree with the general point, but I'm not sure Oleana is the character that needs more focus. I'd like to see her get more screentime, but I felt that her being the person actually running Macro Cosmos, being absolutely bonkers stressed out about it, and being unerringly loyal to Rose was evident from the three (?) times you encounter her. She hugs her Garbodor's pokéball before sending it out, talks about having changed her image, and beats herself up for being useless when you defeat it. Maybe it's not universally agreed that anyone who loves Garbodor is a good person at heart, but I thought it was clear that Rose had lifted her from obscurity, likely even poverty, and was the first person to ever believe in her.

Her story is told very effectively with the presentation you do get.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I agree with the general point, but I'm not sure Oleana is the character that needs more focus. I'd like to see her get more screentime, but I felt that her being the person actually running Macro Cosmos, being absolutely bonkers stressed out about it, and being unerringly loyal to Rose was evident from the three (?) times you encounter her. She hugs her Garbodor's pokéball before sending it out, talks about having changed her image, and beats herself up for being useless when you defeat it. Maybe it's not universally agreed that anyone who loves Garbodor is a good person at heart, but I thought it was clear that Rose had lifted her from obscurity, likely even poverty, and was the first person to ever believe in her.

Her story is told very effectively with the presentation you do get.

Even so we piece this together from literal scraps and I actually made a lot of mistakes about her because nothing was explained. At what point are we told she's the vice president? I never got any hint she was in any way stressed or sleep deprived. And while her loyalty is obvious we're never told why she's like this or why she's so fanatical. I'm not asking for lot, just have one of the league people we fight on the elevator give a little explanation or something.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zuzie posted:

Game Freak chose to focus more on other aspects like how Pokémon function in battles as opposed to fluff like backstories, and even then, they went into more detail with the Pokémon then the human characters. I mean we have a whole story about why Galarian Corsola and Cursola are ghost types; a meteorite landing in Galar caused climate change which drove the local Corsola to extinction... only to cheat death and become Ghost types, and then gaining a new evolution with their newfound undeath. In a franchise called "Pokémon", the main focus is probably going to be on the creatures while the human characters take a secondary (but just as vital role).

Now that I think about it, this "sectioning off backstories from the game itself and putting it in a different form of media" is exactly what Final Fantasy XV did with its story.

Except they managed to do that and the 'fluff" of writing actual characters in multiple games before this.

This isnt just Gamefreak Bad! SwSh are just kind of exceptionally mediocre to bad in spots.

Like I'm sorry the whole game being so lifeless and charmless from one of nintendos flagships on the same console as mario odyssey is inexcusable.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Do Max Raids scale with the number of badges you earn?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Carlosologist posted:

The star ratings you can find in the wild area do.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

I think so...hang on...apparently they level up one you get all eight badges. I think....feel free to correct me here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The main anime is back, and not a bad episode either (it’s mostly just Ash and Go having some misadventures around the lab). Next week is a Team Rocket focus so that should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Carlosologist posted:

Just be aware, from 4 star and up, the AI is completely worthless. More than before, I mean. So make sure you’re online before hunting.