Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I'm pretty sure we could tell Igal's still alive at least somewhat recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
Could the orbs be worth sacrificing in the normal way instead? How would Ish feel about that?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Why would Ish care about it either way? He literally said "that is all I will say about that".

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Catpetter1981 posted:

Igal's probably dead by now, like Diog kept hinting over and over.

What a shame of a promising young life, which could instead have been consumed by Enkidel.

If he's dead we should feel it, he got added to our list of "people you just kinda somehow know are still alive" when we gave him our blessing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zodiac5000 posted:

Why would Ish care about it either way? He literally said "that is all I will say about that".

He might care but he isn't allowed to tell us. Sipping his glass is his way to say "I'm not allowed to tell you"

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

A, seems like a no-brainer. The orbs aren’t much good to us relative to everything else we got from that tower, Nikall wants them back, we might end up interacting with Nikall again at some point and she did us a good turn besides. Also, if this was going to be a bad idea I suspect Ish would be trying to hint as much.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

A

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
A

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Diogines posted:

“If you only remember three words from Zepa's monument" Aaron says "remember the last three. His words were meant to last for all time, even as the world would surely change. He bade us "Do not destroy". In cutting down a fruited tree, we rob the future. Yet these trees will never make fruit for men might eat and if left as they are, they will only make more of these horrors. It is no misdeed to burn them, it is a goodly deed."
Regarding the blood tree. It’s in that tight little grey area between being a tree of horror that seeks out and eats things, yet produces fruit that nourish man. I think Amok knew exactly what he was doing when he made them. It’s not a sin if the tree won’t produce things that men might nourish themselves on in the future, but their potency and deliciousness require the use of life and blood. I personally think we’d do best to rid ourselves of it to prevent any problems with it in the future if we misjudged it, but at the same time we risk sins against the future.

loving Amok being all smug and creating these things. No wonder his kingdom fell.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

A

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

TK-42-1 posted:

Regarding the blood tree. It’s in that tight little grey area between being a tree of horror that seeks out and eats things, yet produces fruit that nourish man. I think Amok knew exactly what he was doing when he made them. It’s not a sin if the tree won’t produce things that men might nourish themselves on in the future, but their potency and deliciousness require the use of life and blood. I personally think we’d do best to rid ourselves of it to prevent any problems with it in the future if we misjudged it, but at the same time we risk sins against the future.

loving Amok being all smug and creating these things. No wonder his kingdom fell.

This is not a sin against nature to destroy a demon tree. The fruit tree rule does not apply to it. 'this tree eats blood' is a good reason to destroy something culturally and religiously. There is no grey area.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

What of the fields that grow stronger after a battle takes place on them? Is all of the wheat taken from land where blood has been spilled curses forever more? What of the gardens where the refuse of the kitchens is tossed? There is a real grey area here and just because it actively seeks food doesn’t necessarily mean it’s evil. Does that make a man who hunts a deer evil?

Our cousin knew what he was doing. He’s a prick for it, but he was basically Enki “Rules Lawyer” del before Har existed. It’s actually a really interesting dilemma for us and while I think we should get rid of it, it’s been like 60 years and hasn’t done anything to warrant it that we didn’t goad it into.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

My commitment to biodiversity demands that I vote to preserve the tree. It's literally the only one on the surface of the Urth as far as we know. Burning it is genocide.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

TK-42-1 posted:

What of the fields that grow stronger after a battle takes place on them? Is all of the wheat taken from land where blood has been spilled curses forever more? What of the gardens where the refuse of the kitchens is tossed? There is a real grey area here and just because it actively seeks food doesn’t necessarily mean it’s evil. Does that make a man who hunts a deer evil?

There is no grey area. You are comparing apples and oranges, and the idea that your examples are even remotely relevant is absurd.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Arborem Delenda Est

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Before burning the tree we should check with Every-Strike to see if it can be burned more productively, like the other evil tree we have. If not, murder it like a goblin baby.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

TK-42-1 posted:

Our cousin knew what he was doing. He’s a prick for it, but he was basically Enki “Rules Lawyer” del before Har existed. It’s actually a really interesting dilemma for us and while I think we should get rid of it, it’s been like 60 years and hasn’t done anything to warrant it that we didn’t goad it into.

I'm sure literally none of those fields suddenly become animate and drain the blood from the corpses in an apparent thirst for it. This is not the same thing.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Can we at least keep some seeds around in case we want to grow another one in the future?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
A, it's the right thing to do.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If Avery decides it's good forge fuel I'm 100% down to start farming the profane blood tree for magic fuel, which is surely a great idea that will not get us into any trouble for actively proliferating a profanity.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CloFan posted:

Can we at least keep some seeds around in case we want to grow another one in the future?

Please no, literally everyone has told us that the tree is an abomination and nothing but trouble, can we not do the dumbest thing for once ever?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Crazycryodude posted:

If Avery decides it's good forge fuel I'm 100% down to start farming the profane blood tree for magic fuel, which is surely a great idea that will not get us into any trouble for actively proliferating a profanity.

If it is good for the forge, he'll insist that we carefully dig it up and preserve every last bit of root to make the most use of it, just as he did for the other tree.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I'm not too keen on taking advice from Amos, the most orthadox nephilim in existance, and a priest from the other side of the world who's description does not match what we've seen from personal experience. Aside from that the only other proof we have that the tree is evil is that it's carnivourus, and I don't see us trying to get rid of every dog in Kavodel.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Olothreutes posted:

My commitment to biodiversity demands that I vote to preserve the tree. It's literally the only one on the surface of the Urth as far as we know. Burning it is genocide.

There are several perfectly healthy specimens in a very very safe place. The biodiversity of blood drinking animate trees will be fine.

CloFan posted:

If it would get you to vote for destroying the current tree, I would happily save some seeds in a blooded bronze box.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

There Bias Two posted:

If it is good for the forge, he'll insist that we carefully dig it up and preserve every last bit of root to make the most use of it, just as he did for the other tree.

Yeah but then we could grow another 10 and do the same for even more forge goodness. If we wouldn't get in trouble for it, which we would, but I kinda want to do it anyways being able to literally farm goodies is a very attractive idea. If we do it in a hyper-secure walled garden only us and our trusted subordinates are allowed in? That's probably safe. Until they uproot and start climbing the walls one night.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

I'm sure literally none of those fields suddenly become animate and drain the blood from the corpses in an apparent thirst for it. This is not the same thing.

Until it goes hunting for prey I fail to see the difference between the two on a scale higher than ‘its animate’ which doesn’t, as I’ve said, make it inherently evil. It took what was offered. As it’s not apple to oranges as you said it falls into that grey area you deny the existence of. And remember I’m for getting rid of it if for no other reason than to protect ourselves but don’t deny that there’s a space between in which it exists.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy
We need thousands of seeds for the time when we're cut off from the rest of Ur completely and need to grow a moat of blood eating trees around Kavodel/Zepath to cull the hordes of fishmen a bit before they get to us

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A, sure.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

TK-42-1 posted:

Until it goes hunting for prey I fail to see the difference between the two on a scale higher than ‘its animate’ which doesn’t, as I’ve said, make it inherently evil. It took what was offered. As it’s not apple to oranges as you said it falls into that grey area you deny the existence of. And remember I’m for getting rid of it if for no other reason than to protect ourselves but don’t deny that there’s a space between in which it exists.

How long until it takes something that *isn't* offered, though? We have no idea what the nature of this tree is, or whether it is safe to keep utilizing it in any way. There's no way to safely determine whether or not it is okay without incurring some degree of risk to ourselves or others.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

How long until it takes something that *isn't* offered, though? We have no idea what the nature of this tree is, or whether it is safe to keep utilizing it in any way. There's no way to safely determine whether or not it is okay without incurring some degree of risk to ourselves or others.

Oh for sure. Which is why I think we should get rid of it somehow before it becomes a problem. But on the other hand it’s been there for what, 60 years and hasn’t had an incident yet?

It’s actually not a bad argument to keep the orbs and see if we can’t close off the tree and prevent bad things but still keep it around. I just don’t see the benefit for so much effort as to build a house around it and lock it up rather than just uproot it and plant it off in the wilderness somewhere.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

We’ve already shown we can haul a full grown tree across half the world so taking that thing out a few dozen miles is t going to be difficult.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Chain a sheep to it and see what happens.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Hell if your really worried just put a metal grate on top of its pen and do a quick root inspection to make sure it hasn't spread more than expected.

Destroying it is overkill; it's more likely some kid will get injured falling into our forge or tripping into the giant frog teeth that festoon our front door then they will getting attacked by the totally inert tree.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 8, 2020

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
See if the hammer thinks it might be useful. It's obviously an evil loving tree and what we've been doing feeding it is borderline blood sacrifice so I wouldn't mind seeing it put to better use.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Grow a forest of blood thirsty pomegranates between Kitron and the GZMA. The fish won't be able to escape their mighty roots.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

See if every-strike thinks it makes for good Crafting. If so start a plantation of blood trees using cuttings, and use it to power our forge

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Blood tree makes delicious fruit but would also be invaluable material in bow making. We might even be able to make knock off slingapults from it.

We should be appointing David as our tree expert to figure out the ins and outs of blood tree care.

Also trust snarls that its really a predator animal rather than a demon.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Polgas posted:

Blood tree makes delicious fruit but would also be invaluable material in bow making. We might even be able to make knock off slingapults from it.

We should be appointing David as our tree expert to figure out the ins and outs of blood tree care.

Also trust snarls that its really a predator animal rather than a demon.
Counterpoint. The wood from the bloodtree is actually not special at all. It's just wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I like the blood tree.