Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah they shoulda written it in silverlight :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Zlodo posted:

hmm good point maybe microsoft should have built their own cross platform application framework

:thunk:

no, they shouldn't have written it for Linux at all

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

windows is a linux now lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

Linux is the reason teams performance is such poo poo. if it was windows only it probably wouldn't be electron.
I doubt Linux support was the original reason they choose to make it in electron, Shaggy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Leave shaggy alone, he's not been the same since Internet Explorer went Chrome, he just needs to vent.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Leave shaggy alone, he's not been the same since Internet Explorer went Chrome, he just needs to vent.

cant wait until they replace the nt kernel with linux

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Zlodo posted:

cant wait until they replace the nt kernel with linux

Well, it IS a better kernel.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
look, the windows scheduler is O(1), now just because k is approaching infinity doesn't mean it's bad..............

larper
Apr 9, 2019

pseudorandom name posted:

use Tweaks to change it

doesnt work

there was some command i was able to run awhile back where you defined what click each area was ... you'd set it from '1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 3' to '1 1 1 1 1 1 3 3 3' or something to get normal behavior back

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
ms just announced a new cross platform .net based ui framework at build so in theory there should be no further need to build electron trash once that's done.
but lol if any of the teams at ms will rewrite any of their apps in it themselves, or even start building new apps with it either.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Microsoft doesn't dogfood because they know the other stuff is better

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

beuges posted:

ms just announced a new cross platform .net based ui framework at build so in theory there should be no further need to build electron trash once that's done.
but lol if any of the teams at ms will rewrite any of their apps in it themselves, or even start building new apps with it either.

they probably wrote it in vs code

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

beuges posted:

it's just xamarin so it's nothing they couldn't have used before

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

SupSuper posted:

it's just xamarin so it's nothing they couldn't have used before

right now it's Xamarin.Forms with the namespaces changed. the plan is to add a new functional-ish C# code framework on top of it to "complement" the XAML based one, and to eventually add support for Desktop OSs (some are right now, but they're mostly community contributions and not official). it's a good idea, as any new XAML based framework will die.

it's also moving more stuff from the xamarin org to .NET, as it (more or less) gets subsumed by the .NET team.

the only MS app I know of that uses Forms (and isn't Internal, nor made by Xamarin) is Microsoft News. the Seeing AI app is (from what I remember) pure Xamarin, but that was created before the acquisition.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/qikipedia/status/1269615091206385664

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
sounds like having windows on a submarine isn't a good idea

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
the rn borrowed from the polish navy?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
something something went down from a memory leak

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

blue sea of death

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

really submarines should run on assembly (underneath the c)

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Phobeste posted:

jesus gently caress

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Phobeste posted:

blue sea of death

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Phobeste posted:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

yeah their workstations probably go down all the time

e: beaten I guess

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Phobeste posted:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
as long as it has support for floats

otherwise the c men aboard will die

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

and of course it should run windows otherwise it couldn't handle .wavs

spaceships are ok on linux tho

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

i lol'd

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1270273981283794948

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1270314033724481538

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 9, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

is microsoft still hopeful that firing human staff will pay off? still waiting on windows 10 not being an absolute shitshow because of their QA team firing.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

can't believe people get mad over algorithms.

whenever these things mix up it's pretty funny. i posted a picture of a pedophile from a news article that looked extremely similar to a friend of mine and facebook autotagged it as him, and everyone lol'd and that was the end of it.

computers gently caress up sometimes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

whenever these things mix up it's pretty funny. i posted a picture of a pedophile from a news article that looked extremely similar to a friend of mine and facebook autotagged it as him, and everyone lol'd and that was the end of it.

hmm.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

cant wait for the hilarious future where life impacting decisions are made by AIs
"haha i got denied an urgent kidney transplant, lol the algorithm hosed up"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i guess your friend was lucky enough where people didn't actually trust the facial recognition

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i always expected a computer to kill me so that's a future i can get behind

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i guess an algorithm literally taggig someone as a pedophile could never be a problem huh

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah, im pretty sure facebook knows when its tagging pictures of elon musk

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i used to run my computer 24/7, but recently decided that this is bad actually, so now for a couple of nights i have put my computer into sleep mode.

on the first night it had restarted during the night? apparently there is a feature called fast startup where it kills all your running programs and throws you into a pre-login state for some reason when you put your computer to sleep. oh well, fast startup disabled.
on the second night i think it woke up to check for updates or something and then i woke up because someone had sent me a message on discord earlier and it played that notification. so i disabled some update setting where it allows the task to wake the computer up to do it.

goddamn just loving sleep normally, windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
also apparently the only purpose of the import feature of the photos app is to freeze.

or maybe it doesn't like counting to 8000. "no, that's too much :("