Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

SirSamVimes posted:

Play MO: Astray.

Hollandia gifted this to me but it crashes immediately when I try to start it. The game said it needed 5.5GB to install, and properties of the install folder say it takes up that much. However, it lists it being 553MB when I go to download and the time it takes to download makes that pretty much right.
Are there sparse files or something that it populates when you actually run it for the first time, or is this an issue I should look into? It gives me a crash log but it's hard to know what is useful information in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

habituallyred posted:

Dead Age? March of the Dead?

March of the living thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TY!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gromit posted:

Hollandia gifted this to me but it crashes immediately when I try to start it. The game said it needed 5.5GB to install, and properties of the install folder say it takes up that much. However, it lists it being 553MB when I go to download and the time it takes to download makes that pretty much right.
Are there sparse files or something that it populates when you actually run it for the first time, or is this an issue I should look into? It gives me a crash log but it's hard to know what is useful information in that.

Have you tried verifying the file integrity?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gromit posted:

try restarting steam if you're using it, I was getting that message for a game last night and it changed when I restarted.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If you guys haven't, check out Gunfire Reborn. It's only $12, too!

Trigger warning: Early Access, Roguelike

It's a mix of games like Borderlands, Dead Cells, Risk of Rain all wrapped up into a nice and tight FPS game with lots of engrish!

Seriously though, it's a lot of fun and there's a lot of numbers make go up all over the place. 4 player coop too!

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 8, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Everyone throws the recycling grenade too close at least once.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also this is a very very good cinematic boss introduction sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXHtQp61Yo4&t=144s

(spoilers if you're going to play MO: Astray)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cartoon Man posted:

gently caress, 6-7 hours? drat, yeah I’m gonna play through that then and enjoy every short minute of it. Then I’ll get lost in Arkham.

Arkham is about the same length. It’s also pretty easy to 100%, I think it’s the only game I’ve ever bothered to do that in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sankara posted:

I really enjoy the combat of the Arkham games, but the whole "Batman" part is not something I'm fond of. The "Hand of Fate" games have similar combat, and those are great. Are there any other games in that vein?

I know this is the Steam thread and a lot of very good alternatives have already been listed, but if you have a PS4 I do highly recommend the new Spider-Man game, which features Arkham style combat and is a pure and wholesome love letter to the Spider-Man character.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's one of the best games on the PS4 imo.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Man, I love the first Dead Space.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Hwurmp posted:

Shadow of Mordor! gently caress, that's the one I was trying to think of. I kept coming back to Asscreed Origins/Odyssey and going "no, that's not it..."

Shadow of War is superior in every way.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone here used a Razer Tartarus and had thoughts, or used something similar they'd recommend? (e: preferably the latter given Razer and build quality/QC, christ)

I posted in the roguelike thread that in thirty years of playing FPSes the whole scheme for the left hand has never felt really comfortable or accurate in terms of movement (or, hell, even accurately hitting Z/X/C/V in the heat of the moment, I won't lie) in the way controller does. But right joystick aim sucks rear end compared to even my weird ergo vertical mouse. So I thought something like the linked doodad maybe :shepspends:

I used to use a Nostromo n52 (like a Tartarus, but from Belkin) in the before times, in the long long ago and it took a little bit of getting used to but after about a week or so it and a mouse became my go-to for PC gaming.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

inferior letter and syllable counts

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Do any other games use anything like Shadow of Mordor/War's Nemesis system? It's such a wonderful thing in the game even if sometimes the game thinks some guy you killed 70 hours earlier and forgot about was your ultimate enemy and brings them back for dramatic revenge in the climax.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SirSamVimes posted:

Also this is a very very good cinematic boss introduction sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXHtQp61Yo4&t=144s

(spoilers if you're going to play MO: Astray)

I'm glad I watched that, it confirmed to me that the game is 100% not my jam. Flashbacks to Gish, which I was also hesitant about, but likewise everyone kept saying it was great so I gave it a go and didn't enjoy it at all.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Do any other games use anything like Shadow of Mordor/War's Nemesis system? It's such a wonderful thing in the game even if sometimes the game thinks some guy you killed 70 hours earlier and forgot about was your ultimate enemy and brings them back for dramatic revenge in the climax.

Unfortunately the closest any other game comes to a nemesis system is Majima Everywhere, or possibly Kuze

It's a goddamn shame because nemeses rule. Give me my hating sim mechanics!

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 8, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hwurmp posted:

Unfortunately the closest any other game comes to a nemesis system is Majima Everywhere, or possibly Kuze

Hot take: Kuze was the 2nd best part of Y0's story

(1st best was the scene with Nakayama and the pistol because holy poo poo my heartstrings, my dudes)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

That one Boss going,"I am a man who lives life purely for its pleasure and to have a good time, unlike my compatriots" only to be almost immediately followed up by Kuze (one of his compatriots!) driving shirtless down a sewer pipe on a motorbike screaming Kiryu's name because he wants to joust was :kiss:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Who was Nakayama again?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ciaphas posted:

(1st best was the scene with Nakayama and the pistol because holy poo poo my heartstrings, my dudes)

Hard agree.

The third time you fight him it's like "god, aren't there any other bosses in this game? I hate this dude" but then you fight him a FOURTH time and it's fuckin' cool as hell.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Who was Nakayama again?

gently caress, I meant Nishiki, who the hell is nakayama? i think my brain has holes in it :psyduck:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Kiryu is such a goddamn hottie.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ciaphas posted:

gently caress, I meant Nishiki, who the hell is nakayama? i think my brain has holes in it :psyduck:

One of the playable characters in 4 is Akiyama, might've been thinking of him?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Release the PC versions of 3-6, Sega you cowards.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Begemot posted:

One of the playable characters in 4 is Akiyama, might've been thinking of him?

Nishiki is short for Nishikiyama too, it's an easy enough mistake to make

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Release the PC versions of 3-6, Sega you cowards.

Forget that, give me Judgment god drat you, I don't want to get the PS4 out of the box again :argh:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Boba Pearl posted:

I would say it has a worse campaign.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

I would say it has a worse campaign.

I'd agree with this, but there was much more Nemesis stuff to gently caress around with, so it worked out

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Begemot posted:

Hard agree.

The third time you fight him it's like "god, aren't there any other bosses in this game? I hate this dude" but then you fight him a FOURTH time and it's fuckin' cool as hell.

I just finished the game a few days ago and honestly, at the end I was hoping Kuze was going to rise from the water or something for one final confrontation.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hwurmp posted:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey has it doesnt it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I know there's a ladder of bounty hunters you can kill your way through; I have no idea if they incorporate any of Middle-Earth's nemesis stuff.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Vaguely, but not really no.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Not really, the mercenary system in Odyssey is only superficially similar.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 8, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just spent a night playing coop games with a friend.

I think River City Girls is much better than Streets of Rage 4.

Yet everyone disagrees. :shrug:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Check out Streets of Rage Remake. It technically got C&D'd but you can find links to it online. I made the mistake of playing that before trying out Streets of Rage 4 and 4 felt so slow by comparison. It's basically all three Streets of Rage games jammed into one giant supergame.

beats for junkies posted:

Shadow of Wardor

:lol:

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 8, 2020

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
XCOM 2's War of the Chosen sort of does a Nemesis thing with the Chosen. There are only 3 of them, and they're always the same characters (the Hunter's a snarky jackass, the Assassin is a smug jackass, and the Warlock is just a jackass), but their strengths and weaknesses are randomly chosen at the start of the game, and they have a chance to show up during missions in their territory and attack whine at you until you (temporarily) kill them. Eventually you get a mission to destroy their regeneration device and kill them for good.

It's not quite Shadow of Wardor levels, but I don't think anything will be for a while. Someone else mentioned it before, but I think for nemeses to be as good as they are in the Middle-Earth games, the game needs to be built around it the way those games are.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

confession: i've never played a streets of rage

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ciaphas posted:

confession: i've never played a streets of rage

Play Streets of Rage 2 or 4. They are both great. River City Girls is just one of the best games of the generation IMO.

Check out Streets of Rage Remake. It technically got C&D'd but you can find links to it online. I made the mistake of playing that before trying out Streets of Rage 4 and 4 felt so slow by comparison. It's basically all three Streets of Rage games jammed into one giant supergame.

Yeah I heard they did crazy stuff with it. SoR4 only has two characters that "feel" modern. Cherry and Adam Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The Remake I mentioned is a great place to start. The options can be a little confusing though. Tweak them til they look like this:

There's a manual if you want to see exactly what all this stuff does, but if you're a total noob just take my word for it.

Also if you're tempted to up the difficulty level, don't. At least not at first. I've experimented with everything above normal and I cannot beat the game on those difficulty levels at all, not even close.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 8, 2020