Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Red Alert is a vastly better game, but C&C 1 just has such incredible style. I really think that the sound is what drives it: music, sound effects, and voices.

I think I spend as much time playing Tiberian Dawn's demo as I did the full game when I finally bought it... on Sega Saturn. Whoever up-thread said they beat it on a Saturn, you must have been a lot more patient than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

axeil posted:

They do?

Do you know which file it's in? I'm trying to look through now and modify the game so they have the other hard buffs but not the damage buffs.

https://github.com/spookydonut/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/d9e287e08b3e2fb3e46690d1029f90e3b17faf0f/TIBERIANDAWN/HOUSE.CPP#L251

https://github.com/spookydonut/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/d9e287e08b3e2fb3e46690d1029f90e3b17faf0f/TIBERIANDAWN/SCENARIO.CPP#L176

https://github.com/spookydonut/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/d9e287e08b3e2fb3e46690d1029f90e3b17faf0f/TIBERIANDAWN/TECHNO.CPP#L304

It pulls from I assume a rules config file but I don't know where that is.

edit: found it

code:
<RulesTypeClass Name="TD" network="server">
		<Difficulties>
			<Difficulty>
				<Key>Easy</Key>
				<Value>
					<Firepower>1.2</Firepower>
					<Groundspeed>1.2</Groundspeed>
					<Airspeed>1.2</Airspeed>
					<BuildTime>0.6</BuildTime>
					<Armor>0.3</Armor>
					<ROF>0.8</ROF>
					<Cost>0.8</Cost>
					<RepairDelay>0.001</RepairDelay>
					<BuildDelay>0.001</BuildDelay>
					<BuildSlowdown>false</BuildSlowdown>
					<DestroyWalls>true</DestroyWalls>
					<ContentScan>true</ContentScan>
				</Value>
			</Difficulty>
			<Difficulty>
				<Key>Normal</Key>
				<Value>
					<Firepower>1.0</Firepower>
					<Groundspeed>1.0</Groundspeed>
					<Airspeed>1.0</Airspeed>
					<BuildTime>1.0</BuildTime>
					<Armor>1.0</Armor>
					<ROF>1.0</ROF>
					<Cost>1.0</Cost>
					<RepairDelay>0.02</RepairDelay>
					<BuildDelay>0.03</BuildDelay>
					<BuildSlowdown>true</BuildSlowdown>
				</Value>
			</Difficulty>
			<Difficulty>
				<Key>Hard</Key>
				<Value>
					<Firepower>0.8</Firepower>
					<Groundspeed>0.8</Groundspeed>
					<Airspeed>0.8</Airspeed>
					<Armor>1.2</Armor>
					<ROF>1.2</ROF>
					<Cost>1.0</Cost>
					<RepairDelay>0.05</RepairDelay>
					<BuildDelay>0.1</BuildDelay>
					<DestroyWalls>false</DestroyWalls>
					<ContentScan>false</ContentScan>
				</Value>
			</Difficulty>
		</Difficulties>
	</RulesTypeClass>

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 8, 2020

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Hed posted:

Does the new RA come with upscaled themes?

It would be sweet to run Windows 10 with this pointer:

The original Window 95 RA installer, as was cool to do at the time, came with themes to change your desktop color scheme, some main icons, and cursor/pointers for selection, window management, and all. Make your computer startup sound like a Tesla coil! The original Allied wallpaper had my friends asking wtf they were doing to that girl.

I spent entirely too much time carving up the original archive to extract the cursor for this post so here are the original wallpapers for fun:

:aaa:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Something I forgot about C&C1 was just how few unique unit voices there are, or more precisely, that there is no unique unit voices? (Besides the Commando?)

Did TibSun have unique lines for all units? I'm almost sure RA2 did.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Oxyclean posted:

Something I forgot about C&C1 was just how few unique unit voices there are, or more precisely, that there is no unique unit voices? (Besides the Commando?)

RA has a lot of variation. TibDawn didn't really, yeah.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

TS had a couple but not all of them. Engies and cyborgs are the only ones I can think of.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Entorwellian posted:

Oh god. Micro'ing the harvesters sounds dreadful.
You can (apparently, since I haven't tried it myself so I can't confirm) automate the process by placing a rifleman on each other square so the harvester can't pick up the tiberium underneath them, forcing it to harvest in a checkerboard pattern. Apparently tiberium only deals damage to infantry while they're moving and not when they're sitting still.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I managed to break Soviet 5 by taking out the escape lander before their extra MCV managed to escape. Killed everything on the map after taking the radar dome but the mission won't end-

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Insert name here posted:

You can (apparently, since I haven't tried it myself so I can't confirm) automate the process by placing a rifleman on each other square so the harvester can't pick up the tiberium underneath them, forcing it to harvest in a checkerboard pattern. Apparently tiberium only deals damage to infantry while they're moving and not when they're sitting still.

Also when blossom trees animate in adjacent squares

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Entorwellian posted:

Oh god. Micro'ing the harvesters sounds dreadful.
They always eat toward the upper-left when possible, so you only just watch them appear from the refinery on radar either every 1 or 2 trips to put them on the bottom or right side of the tiberium patch.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

https://github.com/spookydonut/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/d9e287e08b3e2fb3e46690d1029f90e3b17faf0f/TIBERIANDAWN/HOUSE.CPP#L251

https://github.com/spookydonut/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/d9e287e08b3e2fb3e46690d1029f90e3b17faf0f/TIBERIANDAWN/SCENARIO.CPP#L176

https://github.com/spookydonut/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/d9e287e08b3e2fb3e46690d1029f90e3b17faf0f/TIBERIANDAWN/TECHNO.CPP#L304

It pulls from I assume a rules config file but I don't know where that is.

edit: found it

code:
<RulesTypeClass Name="TD" network="server">
		<Difficulties>
			<Difficulty>
				<Key>Easy</Key>
				<Value>
					<Firepower>1.2</Firepower>
					<Groundspeed>1.2</Groundspeed>
					<Airspeed>1.2</Airspeed>
					<BuildTime>0.6</BuildTime>
					<Armor>0.3</Armor>
					<ROF>0.8</ROF>
					<Cost>0.8</Cost>
					<RepairDelay>0.001</RepairDelay>
					<BuildDelay>0.001</BuildDelay>
					<BuildSlowdown>false</BuildSlowdown>
				</Value>
			</Difficulty>
			<Difficulty>
				<Key>Normal</Key>
				<Value>
					<Firepower>1.0</Firepower>
					<Groundspeed>1.0</Groundspeed>
					<Airspeed>1.0</Airspeed>
					<Armor>1.0</Armor>
					<ROF>1.0</ROF>
					<Cost>1.0</Cost>
					<RepairDelay>0.02</RepairDelay>
					<BuildDelay>0.03</BuildDelay>
				</Value>
			</Difficulty>
			<Difficulty>
				<Key>Hard</Key>
				<Value>
					<Firepower>0.8</Firepower>
					<Groundspeed>0.8</Groundspeed>
					<Airspeed>0.8</Airspeed>
					<Armor>1.2</Armor>
					<ROF>1.2</ROF>
					<Cost>1.0</Cost>
					<RepairDelay>0.05</RepairDelay>
					<BuildDelay>0.1</BuildDelay>
				</Value>
			</Difficulty>
		</Difficulties>
	</RulesTypeClass>

Oh thank you! Where did you find that in the source? It wasn't in any of those .CPP files.

TD doesn't have a rules ini, so if I wanted to modify these, which file would I need to modify?

I'm still new to exploring the guts of C&C, only thing I ever did was mess around with the rules ini as a kid but the source code makes it a lot easier to figure out.

edit: Fun thing I found looking through the game files, all the original README and install files are in there.

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 8, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

axeil posted:

huh, so apparently the Hard difficulty mode is completely busted. A Light Tank will beat a Medium Tank 1v1 and Grenadiers/Flamethrowers will utterly destroy things because turns out instead of giving the AI more cash or faster builds they buffed every unit and weakened yours.

They really need to consider re-working this. Missions with limited units are nearly impossible because of it. Makes sense why I was having so much trouble with the later NOD limited resource missions.

Some guy made a video about it that shows it in action. The one GDI mission where you have to destroy the turrets on the opposite shore seems to be impossible to complete on Hard unless you get very lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nADjefF4l6c

Thanks for the advice and this video in particular.

I think I'll just play through the base missions on hard (Sandbags and save scumming should let me cheese it.)
I'll do the limited unit missions on normal and come back to them if there is a mod to improve the difficulty.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Does this mean you can't cheese with walls/sandbags on Hard?

What's the ContentScan one mean, any idea?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Thanks for the advice and this video in particular.

I think I'll just play through the base missions on hard (Sandbags and save scumming should let me cheese it.)
I'll do the limited unit missions on normal and come back to them if there is a mod to improve the difficulty.

I found one on the Steam Workshop, but it just sets Hard difficulty to Normal. I'm trying to find/make one that turns off the unit buffs but keeps the rest.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2122025379&searchtext=difficulty

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

VodeAndreas posted:

Does this mean you can't cheese with walls/sandbags on Hard?

What's the ContentScan one mean, any idea?

Ancient memories suggest it's whether or not the ai evaluated if that APC is full of engineers or not, things like that

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

axeil posted:

I found one on the Steam Workshop, but it just sets Hard difficulty to Normal. I'm trying to find/make one that turns off the unit buffs but keeps the rest.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2122025379&searchtext=difficulty

That sounds ideal. 1990's normal with questionable game design and balancing choices is like modern game designed hard.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

axeil posted:

Oh thank you! Where did you find that in the source? It wasn't in any of those .CPP files.

TD doesn't have a rules ini, so if I wanted to modify these, which file would I need to modify?

I'm still new to exploring the guts of C&C, only thing I ever did was mess around with the rules ini as a kid but the source code makes it a lot easier to figure out.

edit: Fun thing I found looking through the game files, all the original README and install files are in there.

it's in Data/CONFIG.MEG

ContentScan doesn't appear to do anything code-wise in TD.

In RA it makes the AI use the contents of transports for calculating target values

WallDestroyer does nothing in TD, toggles AI shooting/pathing through walls in RA

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 8, 2020

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

If I remember right, base RA2 didn't have unique lines for most units, but Yuri's revenge did. I think most of the infantry had unique voice lines in RA2, but a lot of the vehicles and ships didn't. And then in Yuri's Revenge they kept the old voice lines for vehicles for the base tanks. The ship who kept the old voice lines were the dreadnought for the Soviet's and the destroyer for the Allies. Let me know if I misremembered something

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah YR was when unique voices came.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

axeil posted:

huh, so apparently the Hard difficulty mode is completely busted. A Light Tank will beat a Medium Tank 1v1 and Grenadiers/Flamethrowers will utterly destroy things because turns out instead of giving the AI more cash or faster builds they buffed every unit and weakened yours.

They really need to consider re-working this. Missions with limited units are nearly impossible because of it. Makes sense why I was having so much trouble with the later NOD limited resource missions.

Some guy made a video about it that shows it in action. The one GDI mission where you have to destroy the turrets on the opposite shore seems to be impossible to complete on Hard unless you get very lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nADjefF4l6c

Well that explains why GDI 7 was so loving hard. It and GDI 6 were the only missions I did on Hard thinking it wouldn't really screw with the Commando mission. It doesn't matter if the Refinery is dead if the initial response to your beachhead landing is flametroopers that incinerate everything. Seriously, 4-5 shots to destroy a Humvee Light Scout, which sounds like a lot until you realize the game throws an entire squad of flametroopers at you. I was left overly paranoid for several missions.

Also when the AI sold a turret and 3 minigunners come out to utterly wreck a group of 10 mixed GDI minigunners and rocket launcher soldiers.

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

If I remember right, base RA2 didn't have unique lines for most units, but Yuri's revenge did. I think most of the infantry had unique voice lines in RA2, but a lot of the vehicles and ships didn't. And then in Yuri's Revenge they kept the old voice lines for vehicles for the base tanks. The ship who kept the old voice lines were the dreadnought for the Soviet's and the destroyer for the Allies. Let me know if I misremembered something

"High Speed, Low Drag" times infinity.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Red Alert triggers are way more complicated that TD

Also the carryover from previous missions is pretty cool, ant missions 1-2 do this, and allied mission 2 carries over everything you have to mission 4 without messing with mission 3, but as of yet I haven't figured out how.

Edit: ToCarryOver=yes to 'store' the units/base then ToInherit=yes to load it

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 8, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

it's in Data/CONFIG.MEG

ContentScan doesn't appear to do anything code-wise in TD.

In RA it makes the AI use the contents of transports for calculating target values

WallDestroyer does nothing in TD, toggles AI shooting/pathing through walls in RA

Thank you again! Last question, which file in the archive was it? I would think it would be DIFFICULTYFILES.XML but my version is empty.

Found you can open .MEG files with this editor (for anyone else wanting to look)

https://modtools.petrolution.net/tools/MegEditor

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 8, 2020

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

axeil posted:

Thank you again! Last question, which file in the archive was it?

Found you can open .MEG files with this editor (for anyone else wanting to look)

https://modtools.petrolution.net/tools/MegEditor

Data/XML/CNCRULES.XML

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

Data/XML/CNCRULES.XML

Thanks!

I'm going to spend some time today tweaking the file. I suspect a 5% change might work better. It'll still make things harder but not break the limited resource missions. Keeping things at the same speed will stop the tanks from crushing all your infantry too, didn't realize they upped the unit speed.

edit: Thinking about it now, they really did nerf things on hard. Not only did they up everything's armor by 20%, they also reduced your rate of fire by 20% and damage by 20%. This is why you end up seeing things like medium tanks losing to light tanks.

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 8, 2020

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Twerk from Home posted:

Red Alert is a vastly better game, but C&C 1 just has such incredible style. I really think that the sound is what drives it: music, sound effects, and voices.

I think I spend as much time playing Tiberian Dawn's demo as I did the full game when I finally bought it... on Sega Saturn. Whoever up-thread said they beat it on a Saturn, you must have been a lot more patient than me.

I think with the three of us, we had every copy of TD sold for Sega Saturn.

It took so many tries to beat the later no base missions. I recall my last mission strategy was pretty much the same for both factions: find and take their hidden construction yard.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Every no-base mission has some gimmick or tactic you need to do to win. The alternative is to struggle and scream and finally win with 1 hp left on your last unit.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
My favourite memory of C&C1 was being sick and off school for a couple weeks, so my parents rented the N64 version for me. That had some bonus mission where you started off capturing some NOD powerplants and your base had a perfect choke point, so rather than actually win I'd just spend like an hour slowly building dozens of mammoth tanks and screwing around.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
An update on the multiplayer and some other things: https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/gxg5nz/remaster_update_and_game_stuttering_online/

quote:

Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

The game has now been live for several hours, and we’re already getting a ton of feedback from the community across all our channels. We’re actively reviewing this feedback, and just like we did with the Community Council when they started playing the game, will begin prioritizing these items going forward. Our goal is to continue maintaining a transparent dialog with all of you as we make this transition into post-launch support, and we’re not going to hide from issues within the game. With that in mind, we’ve been tracking two primary issues since the launch earlier today.

Online Stability

The first issue is the online stability of the game has been troublesome during the launch today. We’ve seen some games getting disconnected, occasional Quickmatch games failing upon load, and times when the online services are down completely. This is not the experience we wanted you to have with the Remastered Collection upon launch, and for that we sincerely apologize.

The team is working on further optimizations to the online infrastructure, and how to efficiently expand server capacity in this launch window of high demand. While we know many of you are eager to get into multiplayer, we certainly hope you can enjoy the Campaign, Skirmish, or play with a new piece of UGC while we work on these issues.

Game Stuttering

The second issue is that we are seeing reports of players who are experiencing game stuttering while playing in both single player and multiplayer. We had heard isolated incidents of this issue over the past few weeks with pre-launch players, but were unable to gather enough data and diagnose the exact cause in our research prior to launch.

Here’s what we know so far:
  • The stuttering seems to happen most often in the first playthrough of early missions, or when large armies of units are clashing during open battles or base attacks
  • The stuttering seems worst if it’s the first playthrough after restarting your computer
  • The stuttering doesn’t seem to happen as much (or at all) if you’re in the legacy graphics mode
  • Early reports show the issue is much more prevalent if the game is installed on a standard HDD versus a SDD
  • These data points lead us to believe the issue is tied to something like texture loading, as the game attempts to load the remastered textures for the first time during a playthrough

The team is working on gathering more data from players to discover further patterns and hardware configurations. We admit this issue has been a little more difficult to diagnose, as we do not have access to our standard QA PC lab of hardware due to the pandemic. If you are encountering this issue and would like to help us gather more data, please consider posting your experience / hardware configuration here on this Reddit thread or on the EA Technical Support forums at:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Info-Request-Game-Stuttering/m-p/9180031#M68

In the meantime, if you are encountering this stuttering issue, we have the following suggestions based on the information we’ve gathered so far:
  • If you have an SSD drive, we recommend installing the game to that drive
  • Try changing the resolution to a lower one, then back to the original resolution
  • Before playing, close all web browsers and other applications which could use Video RAM or actively ping the hard drive
  • While certainly annoying, consider starting a mission and then reloading it after a few seconds to allow the textures to cache first

We greatly appreciate your patience as we look into both these issues, and will keep you updated here on Reddit and other channels with our progress.

Thanks for your continued support and feedback.

Cheers,

Jim Vessella

Jimtern

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
I remember playing multiplayer C&C networked with Playstation 1's with a friend all night. Our match went on so long, the PS1's became unbelievably slow by the end, I assume because they were running out of memory or something.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Plek posted:

What?

1: Yes, you can? Set teams. Unless I'm missing what quick match is.

2: Invite button is at the top above the team setup.

I haven't had any issues with 3 either and you can't even set up rally points yet. Which is weird because I thought you could in the original RA.
For the record, I am using the Steam version.

Quick Match is just 1v1. You click Quick Match and you instantly boot in into a 1v1 match for ladder points. There is no QuickMatch 2v2 or 4v4, you need to join a lobby room for that.

When hosting a game, you can't put a password on your room so only your friends can join. This means when you join some games people instant kick you cause they want a game only with their friends.

Edit, holy poo poo I did not notice that invite button!

Slavik
May 10, 2009

Spookydonut posted:

Also the carryover from previous missions is pretty cool, ant missions 1-2 do this, and allied mission 2 carries over everything you have to mission 4...

I always find it fun to take the time in mission 2 to build a large defensive area to the north and plop down more refineries so you are more prepared once mission 4 starts. I'm surprised it was never used again.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Spookydonut posted:

Also the carryover from previous missions is pretty cool, ant missions 1-2 do this, and allied mission 2 carries over everything you have to mission 4 without messing with mission 3, but as of yet I haven't figured out how.

Edit: ToCarryOver=yes to 'store' the units/base then ToInherit=yes to load it

Can you check Soviet 5 for me? The Win condition to be specific. I managed to "break" it on my run by killing the lander before the spare MCV can flee so they never built a base on the 2nd island. I killed every enemy unit on the map but it's not triggering the victory.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

axeil posted:

It's even more busted when a a lot of missions barely give you what you need. GDI 8 A you get a handful of prespawned vehicles and a barracks to fight off Nod building flamers that one-shot entire squads of infantry at once. On Normal you can engineer rush the con yard, but on Hard the stuff guarding the base entrance does so much damage that you can feed everything everything you start with to draw fire in the base choke point and it will all be dead before you can even get an APC half-way through.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

FrickenMoron posted:

Can you check Soviet 5 for me? The Win condition to be specific. I managed to "break" it on my run by killing the lander before the spare MCV can flee so they never built a base on the 2nd island. I killed every enemy unit on the map but it's not triggering the victory.

oooooooooooooooooooooh boy this mission is positively evil, I need to do a full post about it on my LP, gimme an hour.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

OneEightHundred posted:

It's even more busted when a a lot of missions barely give you what you need. GDI 8 A you get a handful of prespawned vehicles and a barracks to fight off Nod building flamers that one-shot entire squads of infantry at once. On Normal you can engineer rush the con yard, but on Hard the stuff guarding the base entrance does so much damage that you can feed everything everything you start with to draw fire in the base choke point and it will all be dead before you can even get an APC half-way through.

GDI 8 is a mission I remember playing on the N64 and it being just brutally difficult. No building vehicles or buildings against a mid-tech NOD with the full compliment of everything is maddeningly hard to do. I think it would legitimately be impossible without the Repair Bay.

I'm not sure between this one and the Mobius one (where the civilians love walking in Tiberium and dying) which one is harder, they're both some of the hardest missions in the game.

GDI 8 - Restore GDI Presence Near Salzburg

versus

GDI 8 - Protect Mobius in Bratislava

FrickenMoron posted:

I remember this mission being insanely hard too.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 8, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

axeil posted:

I used to beat that mission by landing paratroopers on the island to block and blow up the mcv before it could start building. Makes it a lot less painful. It always finished properly.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

axeil posted:

GDI 8 is a mission I remember playing on the N64 and it being just brutally difficult. No building vehicles or buildings against a mid-tech NOD with the full compliment of everything is maddeningly hard to do. I think it would legitimately be impossible without the Repair Bay.

I'm not sure between this one and the Mobius one (where the civilians love walking in Tiberium and dying) which one is harder, they're both some of the hardest missions in the game.

GDI 8 - Restore GDI Presence Near Salzburg

versus

GDI 8 - Protect Mobius in Bratislava

That RA mission was actually one of my favourite Soviet ones, however I'm 100% with you on how terrible those other two GDI missions are.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I never thought GDI 8A (the 'repair the base' one) was anywhere near as hard as 8B. Those loving civilians. For 8A just pick off the various nods in the NE area and then get a rocket launcher or two to shell their base so they charge into your defenses. 8B is just bullshit because RNG can just make you immediately lose unless you can manage to wall in the civilians. And I always thought GDI 12 (either) was worse than either of those.

Spookydonut, if you don't mind, how do the triggers work for Blackout? I took out the power base thing at the start and then the obelisk immediately to the west randomly reactivated and shot my harvester while I was setting up which was a rather rude surprise. I thought those were supposed to stay offline (at least longer than that) but maybe my memory from 20+ years ago isn't that great.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Vlex posted:

That RA mission was actually one of my favourite Soviet ones, however I'm 100% with you on how terrible those other two GDI missions are.

This mission always took me forever as a kid; I was always too slow so the AI would manage to build a massive base on the island, and the only way I could win was to build a fuckton of subs to clear the waters then build a fuckton of tanks to D-Day the island. The Allied naval advantage is largely useless in the grand scheme of things, but on that map in particular it really hammers home how garbage the Soviet subs are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How are you supposed to beat the Nod Mission (8?) where you have to capture a gdi base? as soon as you capture it youre under constant siege from air strikes and other poo poo while you have absolutely no money and your harvester gets destroyed.