Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Smart, really.

Yeah lets just leave a couple thousand potential hostages on this undefended saucer section while we gently caress about. The borg probably won't find them before we get back. Probably.

space is really big, to say nothing of all the times they went off to the neutral zone where death was exceedingly likely. also, when they brought all the civilians along they still became hostages because the d got captured all the dang time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder how many people died when the D saucer section slammed into Viridian III

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wonder how many people died when the D saucer section slammed into Viridian III

“Casualties were light.”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Yeah, they lost a lot of weight on impact

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz1c1xdoUFc

Some kind of casualties.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

the federation "drive safe" commission determined that casualties approximated:

43 'e-z-break' LCAR devices
1 holographic fish
3 starfleet personnel killed
309 starfleet personnel wounded
203 civilian/non-commissioned cargo killed
842 civilian/non-commissioned cargo wounded
409 undulate-type animals killed
249,837 marsupial-like animals killed
4,293,039 avian-like animals killed

final determination: light

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Maybe they stopped doing the saucer separation because the Enterprise D is already kind of dumb looking and it looks even dumber when it's just the lower half farting about

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
captain kirk is a genuinely good man and he has captured the imagination for over half a century because he is a good man and he is loved

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know, Klingons would probably get along with humans a lot better if humans introduced them to contact sports.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Arcsquad12 posted:

You know, Klingons would probably get along with humans a lot better if humans introduced them to contact sports.

Would the humans survive playing rugby with klingons?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Humans play Pareses Squares they'll be fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bit of a tangent, but one thing Mass Effect mentions in the codex is that Krogan love american-rules football. You just know that's gotta be a real brutal sight to behold.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mulaney Power Move posted:

That Breen guy? He was their biggest pop star.

justin breenber

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

Would the humans survive playing rugby with klingons?

Worf killed a kid when he was playing soccer.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I remember reading somewhere that Patrick Stewart would drive the production staff crazy by saying "hey, this seems like a great time to separate the saucer. shouldn't we separate here, guys?" during shoots. Or maybe it was notes he'd send the writers after he read the script, I don't remember.

I'm pretty sure there was just a litany of excuses not to use it:

- it interrupts the flow of the story to have to shuffle the cast down to ~the battle bridge~ and to deal with the saucer
- you have to dress the set for the battle bridge again (that set got reused for numerous other stuff, but they were obviously able to redo it for Best of Both Worlds)
- i'd be willing to bet money that at some point the producers/writers came to just dislike the battle bridge set design altogether
- you either have to re-use Encounter at Farpoint footage (which they did for The Arsenal of Freedom), Best of Both Worlds footage if it's season 4 or later, or you have to shoot new footage which can only ever maybe be re-used in future episodes where you separate the ship
- after mid-third season they wanted to use the new four-foot shooting model because Image G couldn't handle the big six-footer (again, obviously they made an exception for BOBW)
- if someone has to hit the bathroom mid-episode they might be extra confused if they come back and half the ship's missing

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Peachfart posted:

Worf killed a kid when he was playing soccer.

with a headbutt

and rugby is a heads-down game

look lets not attempt it and just play baseball instead

death to the opposition

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I remember reading somewhere that Patrick Stewart would drive the production staff crazy by saying "hey, this seems like a great time to separate the saucer. shouldn't we separate here, guys?" during shoots. Or maybe it was notes he'd send the writers after he read the script, I don't remember.
On a similar note, did anyone ever point out during shoots how the holodeck would solve all the problems involved in taking people from pre-warp civilizations and/or the past aboard?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i would watch and pay a huge portion of my earnings for a star trek baseball league

id even take the anime

Stardate 98034.9 Boxscores

(6) DEEP SPACE NINERS vs NCC1701-DEEZ NUTS (9)
(0) VOYAGER MUD TOADS vs JEM'HADAR FIRSTS (182)
(111) THE BORG COLLECTIVE vs EAGER V'GERS (112)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

On a similar note, did anyone ever point out during shoots how the holodeck would solve all the problems involved in taking people from pre-warp civilizations and/or the past aboard?

one more problem that could have been solved with a dune buggy

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh dude it could be far worse than you think. The crew have to force an inherent suspension of disbelief to interact with the programs, and that poo poo is glitchy as hell. Imagine if actual people from that era had to live inside an ultra cliched period piece that was assembled from aging book libraries and cut and paste history collages, not to mention the quirks an eccentricities of other planets playing out against the memetic cultural fancies of an era. I think the whole thing would poo poo the bed pretty quickly tbh. :shrug:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Harry Mudd was just a goofy swindler

Harry Mudd was an absolutely terrible person.

And you know what? In a real series that strives for the idea that society has changed to something for the better, *an absolutely terrible person* is enough for some real drama without their wanting to kill everybody or blow up the Universe or whatever the gently caress. The 'normal' terrible people in Twin Peaks were horrifying when they were at their darkest, just as much as the supernatural entities ever managed to be.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If the main characters on Voyager were alcoholic beverages, what alcoholic beverages would they be?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If the main characters on Voyager were alcoholic beverages, what alcoholic beverages would they be?

coffee with vodka
vodka with vodka
tequila with vodka
shirley temple
md 20/20 consumed under a bridge
irish cream and sprite

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Yeah Janeway would be straight Kahlua

Tom Paris would be a tall can of Rolling Rock

Neelix would be sweet vermouth mixed with A-1 sauce no ice

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Just imagining a Galaxy class ship going through the five minute scene for detaching the saucer section only to have a jem 'hadaar ship fly right past the drive section and take out the saucer kamikaze style. O'Brian is aghast and asks why would they do it, then they beam over and shoot him in the shoulder.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Communist Walrus posted:

Maybe they stopped doing the saucer separation because the Enterprise D is already kind of dumb looking and it looks even dumber when it's just the lower half farting about

Quoting from memory, Phil Farrand said ‘Its headless-chicken appearance is unlikely to strike terror into its enemies’.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Also I tried to re-watch TNG and bounced off Encounter At Farpoint so hard, and yet the second I tried with ‘Emissary’ I was like oh yeah, this is the stuff right here. I guess I’m on a DS9 kick for the next month.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

My Lovely Horse posted:

That happened and of course the holodeck glitches out and fucks everything up.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yeah Janeway would be straight Kahlua

Tom Paris would be a tall can of Rolling Rock

Neelix would be sweet vermouth mixed with A-1 sauce no ice

"Doc, you gotta come try this new holodeck program Harry and I wrote. We found the rules in the computer's history files for an ancient sport called 'beer pong'."

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Drone posted:

"Doc, you gotta come try this new holodeck program Harry and I wrote. We found the rules in the computer's history files for an ancient sport called 'beer pong'."

The crew could've gotten super into it, to the point where the men start a fraternity and the women make a competing sorority. It would mostly be a vehicle for Seven to either comment on how stupid every aspect of it is or get way too into it when it comes to winning at drinking games.

If nothing else it'd be better than the Irish village episodes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
neelix episodes are better than irish village episodes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Neelix would be toilet wine

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Harry Kim - an open can of warm bud light on the hungover morning
Janeway - irish coffee, made from cutty sark and nescafe
Chakotay - counterfeit aguardiente (yes I mean it)
Tom Paris - heineken
Tuvok - hennessy xo
Neelix - spanish table wine. Looks like wine until you open it
B'Elanna - warm smirnoff EU vodka, 37%
Kes - pumpkin frappucino with a martini shot in it or homemade martini+pumpkin juice icecream
7 of 9 - ice cold original kraken black spiced rum
icheb - bloody mary with stale tomato sauce
Doc - a bottle of proper malbec wine

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thanks to Dr Soong's upgrade I am now able to charge my data buster in order to fire a large and more powerful shot.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Janeway - irish coffee, made from cutty sark and nescafe
Winner winner leola root dinner

I'd say Tuvok is high-quality vodka -- a necessary staple and easy to overlook or take for granted, but oh what a difference that quality makes compared to the bottom-shelf stuff.

Lon Suder is Cointreau, cloying if you have too much but man is Brad Dourif sweet when he shows up to play anything anywhere

Seeks is Fireball, sounding good in theory but cheap and nasty, ruining a good time

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Joe Carey is a bottle of Jägermeister. You buy into it early on and put it unopened in the freezer, then you forget it exists for seven years and then randomly pour yourself a shot, only to immediately throw away the rest of the bottle.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

neelix is malort

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What drink is tuvix

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Splicer posted:

What drink is tuvix

A decent glass of red & a bud light and you sweep that bud light straight into the garbage where it belongs & you don't look back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Eddington is some micro craft beer that tastes like poo poo