Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The new liquid system is really frustrating in general. Auto-explore is noticeably slower on maps with a lot of fluid. I haven't encountered acid or other damaging liquids yet but from the patch notes it sounds like your inventory is no longer exempt from item destruction?

e: if you are going to personally attack me by making every item i'm wearing constantly get covered in blood and amoeba snot, the least you could do is not make Lacquered only work on metal items :mad:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Serephina posted:

I'd recommend coming back when bigger and laugh as you flamethrower them all down.

Thanks for the recommendation, as this is what I wound up doing, plus a meal of lah petals and mashed lag to increase my MA and willpower, to defend against the 25 loving legendary monkeys who had either Confusion or some corrosive gas thing. I'm sure I burned a bunch of books while incinerating their entire stupid place but I finally got to the end of this quest I was given at level 1 that it has taken me until 21 to finish (and I had to use a bunch of consumables in the process) so I'm fine with it, and hey, I bolstered my rep with all kinds of random fauna in the process

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What beta version actually has the new Tomb of the Eaters content in it? I started this game (on 2.0.199.x) assuming that was it, but no such luck.

e: I found the correct version, but now I really hate that your @ symbol turns red when you get blood on you, instead of always displaying your health. It was much easier to keep track of your status the old way.

Do you have the color player's @ checked off? bloody shouldn't override that

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The new liquid system is really frustrating in general. Auto-explore is noticeably slower on maps with a lot of fluid.

Do you mean its less performant or just that you're stopped more?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Unormal posted:

Do you have the color player's @ checked off? bloody shouldn't override that

I have the color player's @ checked on, both for health and mutations (and I've tried turning off mutations and leaving health on) and in every case, bloody overrides your status.

hand of luke posted:

Do you mean its less performant or just that you're stopped more?

Less performant.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A few very minor things:

1. When randomly-generated villagers are telling you who to ask for work, if the quest-giver has a liquid coating they'll call them e.g. "Wet Chews-On-Asphalt" instead of just calling them by their name.

2. Recycling Suits auto-collect fresh water before other containers, which kind of defeats the purpose of a Recycling Suit once it fills up.

3. HE Missiles are still auto-collected even if you turn off autocollecting ammo (possibly because they are also artifacts, but this effectively means there's no way to prevent your inventory from filling up with worthless heavy junk without turning off artifact auto-collection altogether)

4. The new overlay animation for resting and waiting sometimes fails to appear for no apparent reason (e.g. no enemies around to interrupt your rest, player not taking damage, etc.) which can make it hard to tell when you're actually done resting or waiting.

e: not sure this one is a bug, but it does make one of the most dangerous early game enemies even more so: Slugsnouts seem far more willing than in previous versions to fire their ranged weapon at point-blank range

e2: Your Temporal Fugue clones taking damage now interrupts rest/wait, which might be related to #4 (possibly you don't get the chat message if they're out of line of sight?) and I would dearly like to turn this behavior off because I do not care at all if my clones take damage.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 5, 2020

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I have the color player's @ checked on, both for health and mutations (and I've tried turning off mutations and leaving health on) and in every case, bloody overrides your status.

K, that just broke in one of the many recent major refactors.

also fyi everyone, we've got a public bug tracker that's getting heavy use: https://bitbucket.org/bbucklew/cavesofqud-public-issue-tracker/issues?status=new&status=open

We triage out of it weekly.

Though feel free to just use the forums as usual, just an additional option, useful especially if you want to track bug status.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1268830120921489408?s=19

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i would lose my loving mind if i could play CoQ on my phone

mostly because it's all i have rn but also more mostly because CoQ but PHONE

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Its worked on mobile for a couple years but the ui sucks. This is maybe a route out on the ui.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wait what gently caress me i gotta get it

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I see GoG now has a beta channel. Is that up to date now or is the steam version still the way to go?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm curious about that too. CoQ is on sale a GOG now, and I'm broke as hell.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

genericnick posted:

I see GoG now has a beta channel. Is that up to date now or is the steam version still the way to go?

It's the same as steam.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
200.50 'beta' branch

• Autoexplore now seeks out and examines objects that contained unrevealed secrets in their descriptions.
  • Giant beetle and beetlebum corpses can now be butchered for raw beetle meat, which can be preserved as beetle jerky.
  • Items no longer weigh more when covered in liquid.
  • Waterskins, canteens, and similar liquid containers are now repellent to certain types of liquids.
  • Quests no longer ask you to find forgotten ruins or use forgotten ruins as landmarks.
  • Displacer bracelets now have power switches.
  • Waiting for a specified number of turns now shows a countdown next to the loading status indicator.
  • Boxes of crayons now let you choose which color to draw with and draw in tiles you're adjacent to. Also, drawing now has an action cost.
  • Graffitied text now appears in the color of the graffiti on the object glyph.
  • Bloated pearlfrogs no longer ignore phase when pulling creatures with their tongues.
  • Being frozen now interrupts sprinting and other movement or body-positioning effects.
  • The harvest action now has a higher default priority than the chat action when both are present.
  • Snail eggs and luminous motes are no longer used as quest items.
  • Albino ape pelts can no longer be eaten. As a result, you now control their autopickup status via the autopickup trade goods toggle instead of the autopickup food toggle.
  • In the trade screen, you can now use the keyboard (not numpad) number keys to specify a number of whatever is currently selected to trade.
  • PgUp and PgDn can now be used on the Reputation and Skills screens.
  • The Skills screen now reserves a consistent amount of screen space for skill descriptions rather than adjusting the space depending on the description length. Some descriptions have been edited to accommodate this.
  • You'll no longer encounter creatures standing in the same tile as a closed door.
  • The walk command no longer generates an error if used in on the edge of a zone.
  • Mutations picked at character creation now properly update their stat shifts when leveled.
  • Doors can no longer be closed on creatures or movement-blocking objects that occupy the same tile.
  • Village catchbasins are now owned by the village faction.
  • Made some large performance improvements to the prerelease stage view.
  • Fixed a bug that caused some activated abilities to remain on the ability menu after those abilities were lost.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the loss of some equipment benefits when using Temporal Fugue.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed holographic plants to be harvested.
  • Fixed a bug that indicated incorrect directions toward a detected hostile when automove was interrupted and that hostile was in an another zone.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the genome destabilization message from the Mutating effect to be displayed for you even when you weren't the one mutating.
  • Fixed a bug that broke a previous intervention to make wraith-knights summoned by extradimensional phylactery squires friendly to their squires.
  • Fixed a bug that caused weeped liquid and primordial ooze to fail to mix in the Rainbow Wood.
  • Fixed a bug that made the hidden PhasedWhileStuck effect visible.
  • Fixed a bug that caused certain pronouns to morph into "They" after games had been saved and reloaded.
  • Fixed the subtype text being too large during character creation.
  • Fixed a typo in items that affect move speed.
  • [modding] You can now undo the "fill" action in the map editor.
  • [patreon] Sheba Hagadias can no longer spawn as Either/Or. To install this change, you'll need to re-redeem Either/Or's pet code.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Unormal posted:

• Autoexplore now seeks out and examines objects that contained unrevealed secrets in their descriptions.

Oh hell yes

Oct 28, 2003

Unormal posted:

200.50 'beta' branch

• Giant beetle and beetlebum corpses can now be butchered for raw beetle meat, which can be preserved as beetle jerky.

Finally, we can learn the secrets of making beetle jerky.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Unormal posted:

200.50 'beta' branch

• Albino ape pelts can no longer be eaten.

just try and stop me from eating these furry treats

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Unormal posted:

• Items no longer weigh more when covered in liquid.

Praise the argent fathers!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The new liquid system is really frustrating in general. Auto-explore is noticeably slower on maps with a lot of fluid. I haven't encountered acid or other damaging liquids yet but from the patch notes it sounds like your inventory is no longer exempt from item destruction?

e: if you are going to personally attack me by making every item i'm wearing constantly get covered in blood and amoeba snot, the least you could do is not make Lacquered only work on metal items :mad:

Yeah I’d really like to lacquer everything because I hate being dirty :(

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

https://cavesofqud.gamepedia.com/The_Fates_have_their_way

This effect was on an extradimensional carbide hammer I found, and although I'm not at all specced for cudgels, it seems like maybe it'd be worth using anyway? I don't know enough about this game's mechanics, but given ability cooldowns, those seem like really high rates (all things considered) for some really good effects

e: Oh also, I'm a True Kin and therefore neutral with the putus templar, and I found 2 putus templar phylacteries, so I can summon wraith-knights but I can't tell how useful this is right now (in my test run I summoned one who just stood around for a while, but eventually got mad at a chitinous puma and proceeded to kill everything on the screen). I assumed they'd hate all mutated things and want to go kill all of them, but it's hard to tell how to use them effectively, or if I even can.

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 7, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
How far are you into the game? Or rather, how much nonrefundable xp have you blown in a different weapon tree? Even if we assume you have the stats/mutations for it (eg high str), you'll find those effects are less useful than just having a big weapon with lots of PV that does lots of damage. I can't remember what (if any) stat boosts extradimentional gives, but carbide is pretty low on the scale of things.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

That's a hard question to answer, because this is my first character to get past Golgotha and I've been all over the place skillwise, taking my sweet time, since I have a bunch of stuff to make use of that I haven't even touched yet (cloning draught, 5 polygels, fuckload of books, giant cider weep directly next to a vendor so money is immaterial, robots are now neutral to me, the chests in my Joppa squatters-rights shack have probably tens of thousands of waterbucks worth of poo poo in them, etc). I'm 23 with 320 unspent skill points, and those points do seem better used in either the added block stuff for Stopsvalinn or my dual-wielding axes shtick, which I only took up due to impatience and vodka and the prospect of severing some really egotistical faces so I could recruit this legendary sawhander (which still has not worked out for me, but at least the journey got me neutral with robots). I really wanted to play the long game and end up cloning a bunch of Eaters' Injectors, for which I have the schematic, or possibly abusing my sphinx salts and Have-It-Alls until I cook a recipe that approximates a Drop of Nectar, but am still just saving all of those and haven't pulled the trigger on that goofy plan yet.

In short I know carbide is not great, but I wondered if the possibility for 12% decapitate/ 12% dismember/ 12% stun and all the rest of those effects every other turn would balance out the middling quality of the hammer itself

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
?dude what?

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

that's pretty much what I keep saying when any new thing happens in this game

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Man, I followed all that, too much Qud in my head, I guess!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

anime tupac posted:

I really wanted to play the long game and end up cloning a bunch of Eaters' Injectors, for which I have the schematic, or possibly abusing my sphinx salts and Have-It-Alls until I cook a recipe that approximates a Drop of Nectar, but am still just saving all of those and haven't pulled the trigger on that goofy plan yet.

Have-it-alls?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Canned Have-It-All, a fairly rare and expensive cooking ingredient that becomes a completely random other ingredient when cooked into a meal. The effect is fixed at the moment it randomizes, though, so a patient and lucky Carbide Chef can sometimes make a recipe that incorporates Chekhov's SPAM as a more reliably obtainable substitute for an extremely rare and expensive ingredient.

I seem to recall seeing a patch note stating that Canned Have-It-All would no longer mimic neutron flux, Eater's Nectar, or Golgotha sludge, but I might be imagining things.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I never figured out what they were for.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

New Qud-ian here. So far I've played two characters.

First one died because I didn't close the door to a hut in Joppa when stealing from a chest.

Second one started a bit weird. I spawned in and Mehmet was immediately attacked by Ualraig. Apprently Mehmet was hated by wardens for something or other. 3 watervine farmers intervened and started attacking Ualraig who promptly splatted the lot.

Is this a bug or just something that happens in Qud?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Definitely working as intended, starting in Joppa and suddenly everyone killing is each other because the faction rolls were weird is a Classic Qud Experience

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

eke out posted:

Definitely working as intended, starting in Joppa and suddenly everyone killing is each other because the faction rolls were weird is a Classic Qud Experience

Cool, cool.

3rd character just ate it in Red Rock. I was fighting a giant centipede and then suddenly I was killed by a Jilted Lover.

Anyone have a recommended first (fourth) character build code? The one in to OP is 3 years old now - I have no idea if it's current.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Oldstench posted:

Cool, cool.

3rd character just ate it in Red Rock. I was fighting a giant centipede and then suddenly I was killed by a Jilted Lover.

Anyone have a recommended first (fourth) character build code? The one in to OP is 3 years old now - I have no idea if it's current.

my first ever char that got some progess done was a warden with fire hands and light manipulation so i could have several ways to affect an enemy before entering melee.

also don't stand by the wall plants

reminder that light manipulations Laze has infinite range!!!

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Oldstench posted:

Cool, cool.

quad arm mutant short blade fighter with as much dex as you can stomach. DPS will drop off significantly around mid game but by that point you can start headshitting thigns with your massive dex with a rifle

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Sounds like a Rick&Morty episode. Anything's possible with the right mutations!

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

My first recommendation for starting players is: play a True Kin strong person (axes, swords, or clubs). While True Kin are actually harder to figure out in the long term, most new players are trying to learn the ropes and will probably eat it to all kinds of early game hazards. True Kin are straight forward in this scenario: max the important stats, you have good stat growth, take Night Vision and explore the early game. Die often.

Then once you've got the hang of things and aren't dieing to simply having no idea what the gently caress is going on, switch to mutant. Espers are the easiest to make work. Light manipulation is great, max your ego, and have fun destroying the early game.

From there you'll probably learn enough to start experimenting.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oldstench posted:

BGMOOMEMBIBOCBDX

Start in Joppa or the random town that gives Crocassins.

At the start of the game, talk to the Zealot (the z) and get the quest to go on pilgrimage to the Six-Day Stilt. As a Nomad you can get there very easily without getting lost or spending too much water; arriving will instantly catapult you to level 4 plus you can visit the shrine of Resheph and then share the secret with the priest for another 250 xp, which will get you almost to level 5.

First skill points go into Acrobatics, then Spry, then Long Blades. Find a long sword and switch to defensive stance. Level-up attributes go into Strength. (Later on, when you're more confident with alternative ways of bypassing armor and positioning yourself in combat you can level Agility instead, but focusing on Strength results in an easier early game and is simpler to use.)

Mutation priority is Freezing Hands > Multiple Legs > Teleportation. Don't go into a fight while Teleportation is on cooldown. If anything reduces you to yellow health or below, teleport to the up stairs / opposite edge of the map, get to the safety of the previous floor, and rest up.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 8, 2020

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
To learn the game, focus on survivability. I second the recommendation of truekin tough guy.
Fight in chokepoints, be wary of qudzu, and let melee enemies walk up to you instead of the other way around.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Mendrian posted:

My first recommendation for starting players is: play a True Kin strong person (axes, swords, or clubs).

Mordecai posted:

To learn the game, focus on survivability. I second the recommendation of truekin tough guy.
I appreciate the responses. I'll probably end up going with this though.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

BGMOOMEMBIBOCBDX
I really want to see what kind of crazy mutation shenanigans you can get into. I'll probably be dead in 10 minutes anyway. Then I'll try the true kin axe-maniac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

BGMOOMEMBIBOCBDX

Start in Joppa or the random town that gives Crocassins.

At the start of the game, talk to the Zealot (the z) and get the quest to go on pilgrimage to the Six-Day Stilt. As a Nomad you can get there very easily without getting lost or spending too much water; arriving will instantly catapult you to level 4 plus you can visit the shrine of Resheph and then share the secret with the priest for another 250 xp, which will get you almost to level 5.

First skill points go into Acrobatics, then Spry, then Long Blades. Find a long sword and switch to defensive stance. Level-up attributes go into Strength. (Later on, when you're more confident with alternative ways of bypassing armor and positioning yourself in combat you can level Agility instead, but focusing on Strength results in an easier early game and is simpler to use.)

Mutation priority is Freezing Hands > Multiple Legs > Teleportation. Don't go into a fight while Teleportation is on cooldown. If anything reduces you to yellow health or below, teleport to the up stairs / opposite edge of the map, get to the safety of the previous floor, and rest up.

awesome, tossed that into the OP and did some more half-assed housecleaning to make it more up to date ish and less "old as fuckin hell" but not much