Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ask a robot to draw you, Kat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Demiurge4 posted:

Ask a robot to draw you, Kat.
Like one of their French avatars of technological divinity.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Broken Glass is chapter 8, A Week for Kat is chapter 13. That means that the event that gave Kat her "bird phase" happened after Annie was rescued by the TicTocs.

Possible timeline #1: Annie dies in chapter 8, and isn't around to push Kat to act about her crush on Alistair, Kat doesn't see Al turning into a bird, doesn't get obsessed with birds as a consequence, so she doesn't create time-traveling robirds who save Annie, therefore Annie remains dead. In this case, the situation is fully paradoxal, because the time-travel event has to occur so as to create the circumstances leading to the time-travel event.

Possible timeline #2: Annie dies in chapter 8, and Kat, being sad and lonely, overcomes her shyness and jumps on Alistair without hesitation or prompting. She still gets her bird phase as a result, and creates the robirds who save Annie. In this situation, we have a timeline giving birth to a different timeline, so Kat now doesn't need to finish building the TicToc, since another Kat already did that anyway.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
she could've also liked birds before she had a relationship with one

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nah that was the whole joke behind the bird interest thing. Bird crush got her into birds, and really who can blame her, I got really into humans after my first crush.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I get the joke, i'm just saying it's not inherently a paradox if she made a bird after losing annie

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

The birds probably get sent back in time with the glowing footstep paintings https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=23

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Yeah, Kat, we get it. It's a stable loop. Now the next question is: who originally invented the Tic Toc?

(It doesn't matter.)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
No Kat, you Don't understand. You saved your best friend in the past because she told you so. It's great!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
LMAO at using football-headed Annie for that sequence.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Yeah, the fact that the universe hasn't exploded shows that the time loop is not a problem.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Inglonias posted:

Yeah, the fact that the universe hasn't exploded shows that the time loop is not a problem.

Judging by what the arbiter said, someone's going to have to file some paperwork though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Podima posted:

LMAO at using football-headed Annie for that sequence.

Going back and re-reading the earlier parts of the comic is really disorienting sometimes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I always go back to Karkat saying that the Universe can handle paradoxes fine.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ah yes, the Cool Bird Paradox.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

I always go back to Karkat saying that the Universe can handle paradoxes fine.

I'm posting this purely to make you upset and/or angry:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
annies seem pretty chipper considering they just got told they should be dead

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

EoRaptor posted:

Nah, that checks out.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Begemot posted:

Ah yes, the Cool Bird Paradox.

AKA the Terminator Hand Paradox

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

dragon enthusiast posted:

annies seem pretty chipper considering they just got told they should be dead

They were told their best friend saved their lives, it's fine.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

They are sweating a little so I wouldn't be surprised if they're putting on a strong face to try & reassure Kat that's its FINE, she's FINE, you're AMAZING, its OKAY

they can freak out mutually later

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Mikl posted:

Yeah, Kat, we get it. It's a stable loop. Now the next question is: who originally invented the Tic Toc?

(It doesn't matter.)

I agree it doesn't matter, but I would think the original Tic Toc was invented by the Kat whose Annie died. If she'd build an anti-grav hovership to go on a rescue mission, why not a time bird for a much more challenging rescue mission?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, this stable time loop is a bit lacking. Usually the idea is that someone got gets some piece of information or some item they couldn't have gotten on their own and sends it back to themselves. In that case the paradox comes from the fact that the loop could not have started at any point. But Kat was certainly capable to come up with the birds design on her own, if it came down to it.
Technically, we don't need a loop here, since a simple recursion is enough.
Annie 1 dies -> Kat 1 is sad, builds bird 1 -> Bird 1 safes Annie 2 -> Annie 2 tells Kat 2 about bird 1 -> Kat builds bird 2 etc. We just have to be at some point n in the chain.

The concept of a stable time loop is even more interesting if an actual object is involved. For example, I am fairly certain that I could not build a time machine. But one day, a me from a week in the future sends me one. I get to play around with it for a while and send it back to my past me a week later. Since I clearly would have no way to get this thing on my own, every single version of myself must have gotten it from a previous timeline. i.e. a real stable loop. But this also implies that this exact same time machine was circulating sets of one week for an infinite number of iterations already. So it would have to be infinitely old.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 5, 2020

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Or it's the idea that reality is the result of all time travels that will ever happen. So no timeline where Annie really did die.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
The tic tocs exist in the past because the robots believe in Kat's divinity, and now they influence the ether because Kat made them into living beings. We are literally witnessing Coyote's stars in the sky thought experiment in real time. I'm not sure she actually has to send them back in time for it to work; she just has to have created the tic tocs, and the robots' belief and the ether take care of the rest.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

EoRaptor posted:

I should not have checked out that artist's pixiv.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 6, 2020

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Fortis posted:

The tic tocs exist in the past because the robots believe in Kat's divinity, and now they influence the ether because Kat made them into living beings. We are literally witnessing Coyote's stars in the sky thought experiment in real time. I'm not sure she actually has to send them back in time for it to work; she just has to have created the tic tocs, and the robots' belief and the ether take care of the rest.

Eh I don't even think she needs to have created the Tic Tocs, the Robots just need to believe they did. I think.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
HUG INCOMING

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
:geno: Yes Katharine. That version of me is dead and you could not safe her. :geno:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
She died and you did nothing

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
We've been over this. Gods (you) exist outside of time and are free to gently caress with it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
kat is quite a bit attached to her own perception of causality

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Supervillain origin story Kat about to bust through the wall of reality any day now looking for her Annie is the real problem you gotta worry about, Kat

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 8, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Good thing this is all impossible since Time travel can't be done.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

kat is quite a bit attached to her own perception of causality

Well yeah, as someone who's spent most of her life thinking about how stuff works, facing the possibility that there aren't really any consistent rules is kind of tragic.

From her perspective, the universe is telling her that her best friend's life depends on her abandoning her grip on reality.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ditocoaf posted:

Well yeah, as someone who's spent most of her life thinking about how stuff works, facing the possibility that there aren't really any consistent rules is kind of tragic.

From her perspective, the universe is telling her that her best friend's life depends on her abandoning her grip on reality.

Why? If she doesn't finish that bird, is are Annie going to jump down the bridge? Oops, there's no ravine anymore anyway. Her best friend's lives are already saved.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Blasmeister posted:

Supervillain origin story Kat about to bust through the wall of reality any day now looking for her Annie is the real problem you gotta worry about, Kat

Noein was a pretty good story, yeah.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Wait a sec. I just realized something.

Time causality loop... which Kat is coming to understand thanks to Loup... :aaa:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Why? If she doesn't finish that bird, is are Annie going to jump down the bridge? Oops, there's no ravine anymore anyway. Her best friend's lives are already saved.

Well then she is killing some other time lines' Annie (in her eyes).

I wonder if robogod Kat is just the Kat that lost her Annie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mikl posted:

HUG INCOMING

DEPLOYING TACTICAL AFFECTION