Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

I much prefer the tribal village in 6 Strategic mode. Can't see those for poo poo in the regular game

Yeah, they really need to glow or something, not like you'd avoid them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Catching up on the thread and missed Civ1 discussion, which holds a soft spot in my heart. I really miss being able to clearly see the boundary and function of each tile from iconography -- the new games make for pretty screenshots but its hard as hell for me to tell what terrain actually is without turning on yields or icons or mousing over.

You can also turn on hexes on the map, which I use every time, along with yields, which pretty quickly shows what tiles do what.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tom Tucker posted:

You can also turn on hexes on the map, which I use every time, along with yields, which pretty quickly shows what tiles do what.

What are you, the antichrist or something? It's so hideous and you can't see squat from all the clutter. The game should be pretty and clear on what every tile is, with the additional overlays only when planning stuff. (civ6 fails that, but if the game's fugly I'm not gonna play it darnit!)

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Hills are definitely a problem in this game. Some of them are pretty easy to see, while others are just too subtle. I don't know if they come from a collection of premade models or if the contours of the map are randomly generated, but either way they should have made hills significantly bumpier. And it's even harder when they've got a forest or resource or something on them. Strategic view doesn't always even help that much, because the icons sometimes cover up almost the entire hill icon!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homullus posted:

Strategic mode is excellent, and they've made it very attractive in VI.

yea but it doesn't depict hills lol :ramsay:

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Serephina posted:

What are you, the antichrist or something? It's so hideous and you can't see squat from all the clutter. The game should be pretty and clear on what every tile is, with the additional overlays only when planning stuff. (civ6 fails that, but if the game's fugly I'm not gonna play it darnit!)

So use the hex and not the yields like I do sheesh!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
But the hex doesn't do anything but make it ugly?! I can eyeball the distances just fine. I'm gonna go cut my wrists now these first world problems are just too drat much.
Bury me with my IBM keyboard.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Meanwhile here's what I want

- no graphics
- hexes and yields only
- each hex is one solid color to indicate what it is
- abstract icons to indicate improvements and buildings and such
- interacting with leaders has no images and is basically a menu-based text adventure

What I'm saying is, strategic mode is clearly more than some of you deserve. There's too many colors. I wish I could leave the settler lens on permanently. Hail Satan.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Civ but dwarf fortress ascii map

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Civ but everything is just text descriptions of the world and events. Its also never quite right and the information is 5 turns out of date.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

I know there's a mod, I mean the actual game should support it. It's crazy that you can't turn them off.
Then again it's crazy that the game shipped without teams in multiplayer and without a build queue so whatever.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I wish that damaged/pillaged improvements were more obvious or that there was a mod to make them stand out more, sometimes the damaged graphic is incredibly subtle, especially after a war.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
So I've not played this since just after release. Two questions:

1) Is Gathering Storm the only content DLC you need, if you don't care about extra civs etc?
2) I got bored about 12 hours in due to having 100s of hours on civ5 and it feeling samey. How much has the game been expanded since then, or is it still pretty much the same?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
1. Correct, GS contains all the R&F mechanics, but not the civs or leaders.
2. Eh. There's a lot more going on, and the game is more interesting and lively during peacetime than previously. The AI still sucks, and barely seems aware of the new mechanics. I only play multi at this point; I can't recommend it if you're only interested in SP.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Krazyface posted:

1. Correct, GS contains all the R&F mechanics, but not the civs or leaders.
2. Eh. There's a lot more going on, and the game is more interesting and lively during peacetime than previously. The AI still sucks, and barely seems aware of the new mechanics. I only play multi at this point; I can't recommend it if you're only interested in SP.

Thanks, that was what I was concerned about. I'll leave it until I see a ridiculously cheap sale.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
For point #2, the districts are a really nice change for making your empire a bit more dynamic (if that's the right word? textured.) That, combined with not being optimally constrained to 4ish cities makes it a marked improvement over 5. If you don't actually want to play civ, then #6 isn't going to pull you in with being a kooky outlander (we have BE for that! cough.)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

rantmo posted:

I wish that damaged/pillaged improvements were more obvious or that there was a mod to make them stand out more, sometimes the damaged graphic is incredibly subtle, especially after a war.

Yeah it's kind of funny that the go-to signifier is fire and smoke, but there are several unpillaged tile types that ALSO generate flames and smoke.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The amount of times I've left improvements or districts ravaged for ages...

Also repairing walls needs to be at the top or something because I always forgot the Repair Defense(or whatever it's called) Project exists

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

World Famous W posted:

Also repairing walls needs to be at the top or something because I always forgot the Repair Defense(or whatever it's called) Project exists

:same:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

World Famous W posted:

I often leave districts smashed for ages because I just don't notice it when they got smashed by a volcano or whatever.
I feel like the smashing of places by random event is a pretty crap mechanic mostly.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

District damage is also easier to see in the Strategic View. Repair Defenses is in a dumb place and should be up top where city center stuff is, but one can also see that the blue bar is lower on the main map, so there's really no excuse for the aggregate centuries I've kept damaged walls.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I‘ve got about 160 or so hours of this game under my belt and still don’t fully understand trade routes.
Namely: who benefits from the trade route, the source city or the destination city? Or both? I remember in Civ V that internal trade routes were the way to go because of how much it boosted your economy while external/international trade routes didn’t present the same advantages. Is that still the case?

Also, is it possible to gift units to city states anymore? I had a city state under attack that was my buddy, but I didn’t want to wage war on my own to defend it. In Civ V I’d just gift the city state powerful units and let it beat off the opponent. Is that no longer an option?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Trade routes solely benefit the source city by default, though there are policy cards and civ/city state bonuses that cause them to give something to the destination city. There’s a pop up tooltip somewhere in the menu for selecting destination cities that shows if they get anything.

The best trade routes are ones sent to an allied city with Wisselbanken/Democracy/Democratic Legacy for +2-6 food/production plus the regular income. Internal trade routes are much worse than Civ V’s.

E: There is no way to send units to city states, no. The only way to defend them, short of declaring war, is to plant units around their city center so the AI can’t attack it with melee units.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 9, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Trade routes solely benefit the source city by default, though there are policy cards and civ/city state bonuses that cause them to give something to the destination city. There’s a pop up tooltip somewhere in the menu for selecting destination cities that shows if they get anything.

The best trade routes are ones sent to an allied city with Wisselbanken/Democracy/Democratic Legacy for +2-6 food/production plus the regular income. Internal trade routes are much worse than Civ V’s.

E: There is no way to send units to city states, no. The only way to defend them, short of declaring war, is to plant units around their city center so the AI can’t attack it with melee units.

Good information, thank you! I helped the city-state by taking the...thing..I think a religious tenant or diplomatic resolution, that allowed units with my religion (taco sploob crabs) to fight with twice effectiveness. Of course it backfired because my religion immediately spread to the attacking country.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Razakai posted:

Thanks, that was what I was concerned about. I'll leave it until I see a ridiculously cheap sale.

GS has been as cheap as :10bux: FWIW. Not sure if that's cheap enough to be considered ridiculous.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah late-game trade routes are vital for spreading culture and they easily give the best returns. Internal trade routes can be clutch in the early going because they give the most hammers/food.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah late-game trade routes are vital for spreading culture and they easily give the best returns. Internal trade routes can be clutch in the early going because they give the most hammers/food.

Internal trade routes are also better for some civs (Persia) until mid-late game because they also give culture and money
edit: and the fact that as Persia you're probably at war and internal routes are safer from pillage

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Trying to get the chievo for winning a cultural victory with Genghis. I was about 15 turns away when loving India and Brazil pushed the world into comet territory. 6 of the first 10 comets hit my cities, including several of my top cultural cities. I didn't even try and appease the gods this game, so I wonder if that factors in or if I'm just unlucky.

Still trying to bully my way through but I don't think I'll be able to hold off Diplomatic victory much longer. I'm at 17 and most others are 14-15.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
How long does the comet bombardment take? Is it one comet per turn or do they speed up as climate change worsens?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Trying to get the chievo for winning a cultural victory with Genghis. I was about 15 turns away when loving India and Brazil pushed the world into comet territory. 6 of the first 10 comets hit my cities, including several of my top cultural cities. I didn't even try and appease the gods this game, so I wonder if that factors in or if I'm just unlucky.

Still trying to bully my way through but I don't think I'll be able to hold off Diplomatic victory much longer. I'm at 17 and most others are 14-15.

I did it! It took literally wiping the Cree of the map to make it happen, but I got the culture victory 10 turns before a crisis would have resolved in Diplomatic victory.

One thing I guess I never understood was that domestic tourism can't be reduced? I started my war with the Cree by dropping nukes and then razing the cities, but the domestic tourism didn't drop, it just didn't grow as fast. Eventually I figured out that if I capture and keep the cities, the boost in culture from that would be enough to catch up to his domestic tourism. (Which kept increasing! After nukes and giant robots were stomping his cities!)

War is OP in this game I swear.

Albino Squirrel posted:

How long does the comet bombardment take? Is it one comet per turn or do they speed up as climate change worsens?

It's a threshhold and once you pass over it, you're in comet city, and it's a comet per turn. The number of tiles they raze varies though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Domestic Tourism is literally just your culture output. Every 100 points you get is one domestic tourist. Foreign tourism is based on your tourism output, and it scales based on the number of civs and your various bonuses like trade routes and open borders, but the short explanation is that you snag a tourist from another civ for every 150 points you generate.

Yes, it's virtually the same as V's system, only with three layers of obscurity on top.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What's the consensus on the AI of this game these days? Is it still considered crap? I'm playing a game now and it's not bad, but I only play on Prince. I like just noodling around with my units and building an Empire That Can Stand The Test of Time.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

I like just noodling around with my units and building an Empire That Can Stand The Test of Time.

This is what the AI is good for. It is not good for people who desire a serious challenge.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

chaosapiant posted:

What's the consensus on the AI of this game these days? Is it still considered crap? I'm playing a game now and it's not bad, but I only play on Prince. I like just noodling around with my units and building an Empire That Can Stand The Test of Time.

Is crap but I think is passable. At least for me, on emperor and above it can pose a decent challenge

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I got Civ 6 for free and am on my first playthrough. I'm a bit confused by districts, in that they remove resources from the tile you build them upon. Is the intention that each city only have one or two districts so they don't choke off their food and production supply through overbuilding?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Dick Trauma posted:

I got Civ 6 for free and am on my first playthrough. I'm a bit confused by districts, in that they remove resources from the tile you build them upon. Is the intention that each city only have one or two districts so they don't choke off their food and production supply through overbuilding?

Generally the benefits from districts far outweigh the most yields from a tile. Through the tech tree and buildings you get a lot more access to, say, the food you lose from farms. Even with 6-7 districts which is a huge city (number of districts is limited by population!) you will still have plenty of tiles to work for food and production! In a 10-size city you may have a campus, commercial hub, and holy site, but in just the two tiles next to your city you have 24 (I think?) tiles you can work, leaving 18-19 tiles just in that radius.

Meanwhile your districts add massive yields that, and this isn’t immediate clear, don’t require population to work them (though in big cities or if you want to you can work citizen slots for extra). So if you build a +3 campus next to three mountains and build a library all of that science is free! That’s way better than just working a free tile.

The same applies to all districts. They’re almost always better than working the tile, but even so it’s probably better to build them on tiles without extra resources if you can avoid it. If given the choice between building a +3 campus and erasing some copper or building a +1 campus on a hill it’s no contest the +2 science is way better.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If you're coming from Civ5 you might be used to massive cities spaced far apart - that's not the case anymore. Housing caps are the real city growth limiter, which means you can crowd your cities together for overlapping district bonuses without ever worrying about running out of workable tiles. So likewise, building districts isn't ever really going to impinge upon workable tiles.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah districts are the key to success for Civ 6. Tile yields are helpful of course, and improving luxury and strategic resources is key while improving bonus resources gives an edge, but districts cheat out resources without using your precious housing-limited population.

Plus they often generate things in addition to their primary benefit: great people of course, but also housing, food, and super importantly trade routes. All without people working there!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Yeah, districts are so productive in their way that you learn not to be too precious about resource tiles.

Resource tiles are often of greater use if you set a builder to harvest them. The hammers from a forest or the food from harvesting wheat can turbo-charge an early city. Indeed, this is why you will often see folks extol the virtues of the governor Magnus. He doubles the yields for harvesting a resource (which you can further juice with policy cards and exploit overflow production). If you do the calculation in your head, usually the 100 hammers (or whatever) up front plus using a tile as a district is going to be way more useful then just passively getting that resource over time.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Domestic Tourism is literally just your culture output. Every 100 points you get is one domestic tourist. Foreign tourism is based on your tourism output, and it scales based on the number of civs and your various bonuses like trade routes and open borders, but the short explanation is that you snag a tourist from another civ for every 150 points you generate.

Yes, it's virtually the same as V's system, only with three layers of obscurity on top.

My mistake was in assuming that it was more complicated than it seemed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still play very “Civ V-ish” in regards to spacing out my cities. I had no idea cities could share districts and such. So you could technically build actual metropolis areas now, similar to where I live in VA? We have 7 cities right next to each other and it’s just one big area.