Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

Whoever gave Dustin/Spears MOTY votes deserves at least a sixer for trolling :colbert:

I'm always shocked when AEW fans think a match there isn't a MOTYC.

I really need to catch up on King of Gate, I've only seen 3 matches from it so far & sounds like there's been some bangers. Also need to see that Penta vs Vikingo match & also I need to look up the Aéreo vs Villano III Jr mascara contra mascara match from March which I've read some good things about. And the Asuka vs Mei Suruga match, the 2AW title match with Yuji Okabayashi vs Tank Nogai. And the incredibly silly FIGHT PIT match from NXT with Riddle & Thatcher. And 3 episodes of DDT TV, 2 All Japan shows, 2 NOAH shows & somehow find time to play Yakuza 4. Honestly, never been so glad to be out of work, thanks Corona-chan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Jerusalem posted:

Honorable Mentions with more than 1 vote (in bold are close to the threshold):
05/23 | ASUKA vs. Mei Suruga - Gatoh Move ChocoPro (5 votes)

This was the first time I've watched Gatoh Move/ChocoPro and it was fun and good and more people should watch it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

If somebody votes, I count it no matter what I might think personally about the match. That's the horror of democracy for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWdfRRtAs3o

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Stanfield posted:

This was the first time I've watched Gatoh Move/ChocoPro and it was fun and good and more people should watch it.

Is this a second, by the way?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Oh, yeah it is, sorry.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks! It just needs one more vote now to make HM status.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Thanks! It just needs one more vote now to make HM status.

Consider this the final necessary vote for it then. HM all over the joint for Mei vs ASUKA.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

I'd vote for it again if it was legal, but since it's not I'm here to HM Chris Brookes vs Mei Suruga from ChocoProLIVE #19 (06/05/20) - a lot of fun things happen in that match that I wont spoil, but if you ever wanted to know how to sell a popped balloon this one's for you:

https://twitter.com/D_Wrestlingifs/status/1268873684414013440

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
MOTYC: Konosuke Takeshita vs Yoshihiko, DDT Peter Pan Night 1, 6th June 2020

new king of the Cinematic Wrestling Revolution right here this ruled

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Konosuke Takeshita vs Yoshihiko in a Boneyard TOKYO 2020 LAST MAN STANDING MATCH - DDT Peter Pan (6/6)

The greatest cinematic match of all time. DDT taking its WWE parody but also an infinitely better wrestling promotion gimmick to the next level.

I don't know what Big Konnie had planned for his Kenny Omega match but it wouldn't have been one tenth as good as this.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

3rded. When the victor held their hands up and new day was drawing wrestling was whole again

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WMOTYC: Adam Cole (C) vs. Velveteen Dream in a Parking Lot Brawl for the NXT Championship - NXT Takeover In Your House 6/7

A godawful "cinematic" match with incredibly poor lighting, worse editing, and a laughably bad match structure. Even setting aside the distaste of spending so much money on an exercise in excess like this or continuing to book a guy accused of grooming minors in title matches, this was just awful.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

WMOTYC: Adam Cole (C) vs. Velveteen Dream in a Parking Lot Brawl for the NXT Championship - NXT Takeover In Your House 6/7

A godawful "cinematic" match with incredibly poor lighting, worse editing, and a laughably bad match structure. Even setting aside the distaste of spending so much money on an exercise in excess like this or continuing to book a guy accused of grooming minors in title matches, this was just awful.

Seconded. Also will point out they tried absurd comedy ala the Stadium Stampede. But because it's WWE and there's zero heart in it, it was just cringeworthy.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

yeah

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

thirded

still cannot wait for people to say this is better than stadium stampede.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Jerusalem posted:

Nth

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Konosuke Takeshita vs Yoshihiko in a Boneyard TOKYO 2020 LAST MAN STANDING MATCH - DDT Peter Pan (6/6)

The greatest cinematic match of all time. DDT taking its WWE parody but also an infinitely better wrestling promotion gimmick to the next level.

I don't know what Big Konnie had planned for his Kenny Omega match but it wouldn't have been one tenth as good as this.

Jerusalem posted:

Nth

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

nth

Jerusalem posted:

https://streamable.com/zm0bxb ......nth

MOTYC: Danshoku Dieno vs Makoto Oishi for the Ironman Heavymetalweight title, DDT Peter Pan Night 2, 6/7/20. Full match link https://streamable.com/khzq4h

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 8, 2020

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

nth

MOTYC: Danshoku Dieno vs Makoto Oishi for the Ironman Heavymetalweight title, DDT Peter Pan Night 2, 6/7/20. Full match link https://streamable.com/khzq4h

2nd

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Worst Matches of the Year:

06/07 | Adam Cole (C) vs. Velveteen Dream in a Parking Lot Brawl for the NXT Championship - NXT Takeover In Your House

Just double-checked by viewing the OPs for each thread

This is indeed the first men's WMOTY in Takeover history

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

nth

nth

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

NTH. If you haven't seen this match, you owe it to yourself to do it. It's amazing.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

nth

Yes agreed

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

Nth probably the best no contest I've ever seen.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

DDT is always a base level of wonderful but when they're really On™️ they're literally my favorite wrestling in the world, please watch these matches friends.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Was DDT the company that put out those campsite wrestling matches years ago? I loved those matches.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Crapple! posted:

Was DDT the company that put out those campsite wrestling matches years ago? I loved those matches.

Yes absolutely. Their on location matches are the best poo poo in the world

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Nth the WM for Dream/Cole, also

HM: Finn Balor vs Damian Priest, NXT Takeover In Your House, 7th June 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

When you see one (1) Riptide match and think "I see how they do this"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
24th May
AJPW
AJPW TV #4 ~ Invitation To The Royal Road
Enfants Terribles (Shotaro Ashino & Yusuke Kodama) vs Kento Miyahara & Akira Francesco

I really want to know how All Japan found Akira. It's 2019, he's 20 and has been wrestling since he was 15 or 16, and mostly in the not exactly well known Italian wrestling scene, around Milan & Lombardia. He'd done a handful of shows in England & Germany in 2017 & 2018 but somehow the kid gets an All Japan tour in the Junior Battle Of Glory & he gets over. He ended up in Japan for about half of last year, this year he's been in the country since January 1st at least. Maybe that wasn't the plan but he's made the best of the opportunities. Just a raw but talented little dude who has already this year been in a great match with Susumu Yokosuka. I'm assuming this was some great scouting by Atsushi Aoki, probably the last find he made before his death.

Anyway, this is another real good tag match that faces the invaders against the ace & who is becoming his young protege. This has been such simple but effective booking for bringing in Enfants Terribles, especially Ashino, & elevating them right to the top of your card straight away. As opposed to punishing them for signing from another company like certain other promotion has liked to do in the past.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Chris James 2 posted:

nth

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Maigius posted:

Nth probably the best no contest I've ever seen.

Agreed. Incredible payoff.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

NTH.

I have so many questions and not just the ones J-RU brought up. Why are there rope breaks? Why are there ladders? Why is there a ring? This feels like peak WWE got a positive response from a thing with the bone yard match and just killed it dead.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

forkboy84 posted:

I really want to know how All Japan found Akira.

TAJIRI goes on like random European tours every so often: in 2018 he worked a show in Italy that had Akira (and also Gianni Valetta) on it and perhaps he worked more that didn't make cagematch. I guess he went to All Japan after those shows and was like "hey this kid is good"; they booked him for Junior Battle of Glory in 2019, he worked very well, did a couple more tours and is now there full time.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
HM: Keith Lee (C) vs. Johnny Gargano for the NXT NA Title at NXT In Your House (6/7/20)

Feels like one of the better “big guy vs. little guy” matches I’ve seen in WWE, even if it felt like someone was a step off for a few spots.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

nth

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Remember when NXT Takeovers were appointment viewing?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The main event would have been an easy HM nom if not for the loving stupid finish

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

IceAgeComing posted:

It's infinitely amusing to me that WWE borrows an idea that DDT pro has done before and then DDT fires back by parodying the WWE doing their own original match. Nthing this, and keep an eye out for DDT's "Money in the Bag" parody of WWE's Money in the Bank this year, which was also, borrowing from a DDT show where they fought to the top of a Television station.

J-Ro posted:

I'd vote for it again if it was legal, but since it's not I'm here to HM Chris Brookes vs Mei Suruga from ChocoProLIVE #19 (06/05/20) - a lot of fun things happen in that match that I wont spoil, but if you ever wanted to know how to sell a popped balloon this one's for you:

https://twitter.com/D_Wrestlingifs/status/1268873684414013440
Mei and Brookes have so much chemistry together. Mei has become a breakout star now because of her "everyone's little sister" energy and I can't stress enough how much absolute joy it is to see her wrestle. Nth. If you aren't following the ChocoPro thread, I found a clip where she made Jazz, one of the most serious female wrestlers of all time break character for probably the first and only time in her entire career.

Chris James 2 posted:

And my last Nth of this week, it's DDT being DDT but I was a huge fan of the company years ago when Oishi first started and was Dino's best friend so seeing this was the payoff of almost ten years of storylines

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

It's infinitely amusing to me that WWE borrows an idea that DDT pro has done before and then DDT fires back by parodying the WWE doing their own original match. Nthing this, and keep an eye out for DDT's "Money in the Bag" parody of WWE's Money in the Bank this year, which was also, borrowing from a DDT show where they fought to the top of a Television station.

That's seven, babey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

HM Christopher Daniels vs. Sonny Kiss, AEW Dark 6/9/20

No stakes match with good storytelling and work.