Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

this sort of thing probably isn't news to anyone but i did find this thread an interesting look at police attitudes and how the rot is very much structural

https://twitter.com/AlexandraErin/status/1269839205036851201

e: There's 44 candles in a box of Hanukkah candles, this is nothing to do with the UK area code.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
I posted this on the Idiots on Social Media thread earlier, but I think it needs showing here as well, if only for large levels of :psyduck:

http://imgur.com/a/kKTa7DR

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's literally Cartman's "without the tobacco industry, we wouldn't have many of our colored friends" levels of being a stupid gently caress on purpose.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

slavery may kill a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people get to the new world, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

chaosrefined posted:

I posted this on the Idiots on Social Media thread earlier, but I think it needs showing here as well, if only for large levels of :psyduck:

No, you see, the statue of the slaver is actually good, because without slavery, the man murdered hundreds of years later by the institutional after-effects of slavery might have been born in a different country.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
It probably won't surprise anyone here that he's a hardcore Tory and enthusiastically voted for Brexit!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

By that logic no one should be punished for any crime, ever. For if not for all the murders that man committed we might not be where we are today.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

stev posted:

By that logic no one should be punished for any crime, ever. For if not for all the murders that man committed we might not be where we are today.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I was gonna make a joke about prosecuting historic CSA but I didn't actually want to type the words out, I'm sure you can p much imagine how the joke goes (or not, up to you)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

e: There's 44 candles in a box of Hanukkah candles, this is nothing to do with the UK area code.

I mean, this is true prima facie, but honestly if I was going to basically any protest at this stage I would be coming with a helmet, googles and a respirator, at the very least. And probably a protest sign that could double as a shield (probably made of foam, given that that is my wheelhouse as a make,r, and it's very difficult to suggest that a foam shield could be construed as an offensive weapon).

I wouldn't be going with the intention to riot, nor with any offensive weapon, but I would definitely be equipped to withstand being loving gassed, because I'd be expecting to be loving gassed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

I was gonna make a joke about prosecuting historic CSA but I didn't actually want to type the words out, I'm sure you can p much imagine how the joke goes (or not, up to you)
I parsed CSA as :heritage: rather than the nonce thing at first and was like actually making any organization that claims commemoration of the Confederacy should probably have a share of the war debt dumped on them.

e: ^^^ That's true, but there's also the whole thing where if you look like you're ready to deliver a beating then it exacerbates tensions from the outset, and that's one of the big problems with the 'warrior cop' idea/dress code.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 8, 2020

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I found the toppling of the statue to be such an inspiring moment. I think images of protests or demonstrations have become so commonplace they don’t really hit the public imagination any more, for example the thousands demonstrating against Brexit barely being on the news. But more novel images, the shock of the new, are more tantalising.
Particularly destroying public art that supports the dominant system of power. The destruction of culture has a long a history as culture itself, from the burning of the library of Alexandria to the sacking of Rome by the Vandals.

Of course, fascism knows the power of cultural destruction maybe moreso than the left, with book burnings or imprisoning artists to the destruction of historic ruins in Tripoli or Raqqa last decade. The culture of fascism is heavily steeped in tradition, conservatism and blandness. It says nothing, simply existing to prop up the dominant ideology.
Public art is interesting in this country as it definitely leans more towards tradition over the present or the future. Religious shrines and statues of saints were slowly replaced with statues of royalty or generals. Compared to the rest of Europe with its sculptures from mythology or explorations of the human form, public British Art is mostly terrible – compare the statue of Elizabeth I to another of an Italian noblewoman made around the same time.

Statues and busts have fallen out of fashion a bit, recently I can think of the statue of Thatcher in London and the statue of Pankhurst in Manchester. Notice the hand positions, with Thatcher being palm down whilst Pankhurst is palm up (displaying both dominant and more offering body language) whilst also being on a plinth above observers whilst Pankhurst is on a chair you can walk right up to.

To walk around any major city in England you’ll likely see more statues like the one on the left than on the right. There’s also plenty to be said about more contemporary public art that doesn’t really say anything, such as the bland narcissism of Anthony Gormley, compared to the more lively and relevant work by people like Jeremy Deller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIfHJzUpGWg

I think for art to be relevant to the public it has to be malleable and accessible, just as you shouldn’t just dump stuff in museums that never change curation or have archives in libraries people don’t even know about. So to topple statues from the past, particularly of slave owners or war criminals, keeps art alive and relevant. Though we didn’t guillotine our royalty as well as other countries, there’s still chance to do it symbolically.

justcola fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 8, 2020

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I’m quite shocked that statues are not the immovable metal blobs I thought they were

I guess most of them are hollow not solid metal?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Borrovan posted:

Wait I thought of a better one, "at least Kier Starmer has a consistent position on holding people to account for historic crimes"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

I’m quite shocked that statues are not the immovable metal blobs I thought they were

Yeah, they're hollow castings. Metal is loving expensive.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jel Shaker posted:

It depends! If they are made of marble or stone those are almost always single pieces of matter. When they were carved out the sculptor wouldn't know if there'd be a fault in the stone and it could crack or crumble whilst shaving bits off.

Almost any bronze sculpture you see will have been made out of clay initially, a negative cast made from that in plaster then that mould then has bronze or another metal poured into it. These are often made hollow with a core of plaster thats removed afterwards otherwise they'd be both heavy as gently caress and very expensive. There's a few different methods but thats the rough idea.

e:
One of the most well-known larger statues is a good idea of how to do it at a big scale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QM0tipFQ9c

justcola fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 8, 2020

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Jel Shaker posted:

I have been on a few monument restorations, and they are loving death traps the lot of them. The mortar normally having perished decades ago and being held in place with lichen and green slime.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/tejmuk/status/1269939743565008897?s=20

Christ what an embarrassment

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I wonder if aunty is going to remove her Eric Gill's.

lol, no loving chance.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

feedmegin posted:

LEGALLY enforced labour, yes, I agree with you, and there is a reason the 13th amendment has the bit in it saying 'except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted' in it. That's the thing, though, having the State officially back and enforce the ownership of human beings is a uniquely evil thing to my mind and it cheapens the term to extend it further. We already have perfectly good terms for the other cases.

I think terms like 'false imprisonment' isn't a strong enough term for trafficking or kidnapping people for use as forced labour, or for forced marriage or things like debt slavery and while these maybe illegal things the victims are often unable to go to the authorities.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I think 'modern slavery' works well to distinguish itself from chattel slavery, with all the implications that while the slaves aren't legally property, the authorities of austerity stripped states not being able to do anything about that past "we condemn all forms of slavery" leaving the slaves in functionally the same position.

Postmodern slavery is telling Jordan Peterson it's not polite to call a man miss if they don't want you to.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The brendan forehead massacre is still ongoing, and this just showed up which is both lol and incredibly grim:

https://twitter.com/balexsc/status/1269970055850319876

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's fascinating to see the right putting this spin of performative outrage about the statue getting toppled. "Yes, of course we would have reported on and engaged with these protests in good faith but the statue being chucked in the harbour is such an outrage that we can only report on that and also it cancels out all the things you were protesting against and this is all your own faults!"

It's almost as though they don't agree that there are any serious problems with racism in the Uk and are massively irritated at the people saying that there are and were always going to leap on any figleaf of an excuse to talk about something else instead!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

justcola posted:

I found the toppling of the statue to be such an inspiring moment. I think images of protests or demonstrations have become so commonplace they don’t really hit the public imagination any more, for example the thousands demonstrating against Brexit barely being on the news. But more novel images, the shock of the new, are more tantalising...

it's not that they are commonplace, inasmuch as that it is a repeated and proven phenomenon that being able to put thousands or even millions of people on the street does not, itself, translate to being able to win subsequent elections fought on the same question

so all the protest demonstrated was depth of feeling and protest mobilisation efficacy, not actual democratic consent or heretofore undiscovered popular support or new awakening of mass consciousness

the big shift was in the 1960s, with protests with far more confrontational tactics at far higher stakes (when bayonet charges were still an accepted crowd control tactic, and bombings were sufficiently commonplace as to be unremarkable), entirely capable of 'storming the bastille' again - but not being able to achieve apparently simpler goals like elect a majority in secret ballot. The 'shock of the new' turned out to be overrated

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ronya posted:

it's not that they are commonplace, inasmuch as that it is a repeated and proven phenomenon that being able to put thousands or even millions of people on the street does not, itself, translate to being able to win subsequent elections fought on the same question

so all the protest demonstrated was depth of feeling and protest mobilisation efficacy, not actual democratic consent or heretofore undiscovered popular support or new awakening of mass consciousness

the big shift was in the 1960s, with protests with far more confrontational tactics at far higher stakes (when bayonet charges were still an accepted crowd control tactic, and bombings were sufficiently commonplace as to be unremarkable), entirely capable of 'storming the bastille' again - but not being able to achieve apparently simpler goals like elect a majority in secret ballot. The 'shock of the new' turned out to be overrated

Turns out though that you don't need elections to get poo poo done, who knew?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

chaosrefined posted:

I posted this on the Idiots on Social Media thread earlier, but I think it needs showing here as well, if only for large levels of :psyduck: a

wow, what a loving idiot. one of the things people were talking about at the protests i went to was how white people ripped communities apart with the slave trade and hosed their identity over.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

StarkingBarfish posted:

The brendan forehead massacre is still ongoing, and this just showed up which is both lol and incredibly grim:

https://twitter.com/balexsc/status/1269970055850319876

He's not wrong, it was an act of intolerance.

Again, like Bradley above, he's almost crossed thegulf into rational thinking, in that tolerance is, shockingly, not always good, and intolerance is, shockingly, not always bad.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I've always said that Bristol was notorious for harbouring slavers. The BLM movement is just continuing this legacy.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Pistol_Pete posted:

"Yes, of course we would have reported on and engaged with these protests in good faith but the statue being chucked in the harbour is such an outrage that we can only report on that and also it cancels out all the things you were protesting against and this is all your own faults!"
Up until yesterday they were talking about how unacceptable it is for people to defend themselves from unprovoked police attacks. They didn't have the statue for an excuse then.

If people had just let the cops brutalise them without any resistance they'd be blaming the left for not supporting brave cops doing the best they can in a difficult situation.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Few pages ago but I'm catching up!

kingturnip posted:

Not for the first time, I've managed to injure my foot through the simple act of being asleep in bed.
No idea what I've done, but it looks like I'll be hobbling around the house all day. Happy Sunday, people.

Is that like a random excrutiating pain in your ankle? I've had that all my life and it depends not a jot on weight, exercise or anything. It can just randomly go while lying in bed, or while walking down the road. Normally it's the left ankle, sometimes it's the right. Fortunately not both at the same time yet! The excrutiating pain lasts anything from a few minutes to a few days. Years ago, my GP just kept saying it was 'poor circulation' despite me walking up to 10 miles a day most days back then, so I paid to see a sports doctor at BUPA and he ran ultrasound over it and said there were tiny loose bits of gristle between the muscle tissues which were occasionally moving. He said the risks of having an operation to remove them were far greater than just accepting the pain (which is random, and occasional, not constant) so I just live with it.
I'm also highly susceptible to cramps in my foot and legs but that is normally after copious exercise esp if I swim 5km and my foot cramps and my toes stick out in all random directions.

OwlFancier posted:

Or more specifically, do you stop when you're pregnant? Do you stop for three weeks of the month?

Normally but not always. Some women have periods through pregnancy, some women have much longer or much shorter periods than usual, let alone irregularity, especially when you're a teenager just starting, a peri-menopausal woman, eating a very low-fat diet (which can stop periods), being very obese or very thin, times of great stress, and I'm sure more.

sebzilla posted:

Colston statue has been pulled down in Bristol, apparently

https://twitter.com/AlAviram/status/1269625718662664193?s=19

I wonder if they cheered when Sadam Hussein's statue was toppled?

https://twitter.com/brianwhelanhack/status/1269927236666302464?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 8, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's fascinating to see the right putting this spin of performative outrage about the statue getting toppled. "Yes, of course we would have reported on and engaged with these protests in good faith but the statue being chucked in the harbour is such an outrage that we can only report on that and also it cancels out all the things you were protesting against and this is all your own faults!"

It's almost as though they don't agree that there are any serious problems with racism in the Uk and are massively irritated at the people saying that there are and were always going to leap on any figleaf of an excuse to talk about something else instead!

the statue is good for the media to focus on, because we generally aren't interested in speaking about race (or any major systemic issue) because the establishment view is that discussing things with proles who don't have any power just gets in their way.

but if we absolutely have to talk about race we can, i suppose, talk about individual british establishment racists who are long dead. so that we can say "oh well they didn't know any better, people didn't have brains or eyes back then"

otoh we still are absolutely not allowed to talk about how deeply, proactively racist britain itself was. How the whole imperial project was as racist and destructive as the holocaust.
Because coming to terms with that would require some actual change and change is above all else the thing the establishment hates, coz if you go about changing things who knows what could happen?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lmao
:nws: maybe https://i.imgur.com/Hi7GmPV.jpg

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm just so achingly jealous of the French:

https://twitter.com/dreamboum/status/1269829137688154114?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Crazy to me that the French have this global reputation of being effete fancymen when in fact many of them are quite hard indeed. Both are acceptable modes of being of course and not necessarily mutually exclusive, just an interesting disparity which I suppose must be either Brit or Yank propaganda

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's weird that some people still think that peaceful protest is even remotely worth while in a modern democracy.
Like, just staying home and wanking is more productive than pretty much any mass peaceful protest of the last 30 years.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

That’s some straight up Streets of Rage poo poo right there.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Crazy to me that the French have this global reputation of being effete fancymen when in fact many of them are quite hard indeed. Both are acceptable modes of being of course and not necessarily mutually exclusive, just an interesting disparity which I suppose must be either Brit or Yank propaganda

It's definitely american. I remember when I first got on the internet I really noticed it (around 9/11 and the freedom fries bollocks).

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

Is it just me or do those police shields seem kind of flimsy, compared with those in the UK? It's horrifying the first time you clash against either a riot police shield and/or helmet and realise how solid they are.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Soy sauce for Christophe Dettinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
e; nah

ronya fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 9, 2020