Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I know this has been posted here before, but every time I think about replaying Quake, I always think that I should do it this way. It doesn't get me all discombobulated, and I actually love the idea (and execution) of playing like I'm some sort of spider or fly or something with enough eyes to be able to see everything all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9v_XN7Wxh8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ETPC posted:

so how come no one ever talked about how night dive open sourced SiN back in march?????????

https://github.com/NightDive-Studio/sin-ex-game

Neat! Hopefully we start seeing cool things come from this.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know this has been posted here before, but every time I think about replaying Quake, I always think that I should do it this way. It doesn't get me all discombobulated, and I actually love the idea (and execution) of playing like I'm some sort of spider or fly or something with enough eyes to be able to see everything all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9v_XN7Wxh8

That panini sample at 170* looks absolutely natural, that's totally great. Doesn't seem to come with any performance hit, hope some newer games pick up on it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Serephina posted:

That panini sample at 170* looks absolutely natural, that's totally great. Doesn't seem to come with any performance hit, hope some newer games pick up on it.

Unreal Engine 4 has Panini built in but I'm not aware of any games actually exposing it as an option :(

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Rendering/PostProcessEffects/PaniniProjection/index.html

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

It's not a retro shooter but that panini projection would be amazing in some UE4 games like Squad. I hope some devs get bold enough to give it a try.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ETPC posted:

so how come no one ever talked about how night dive open sourced SiN back in march?????????

The license makes things complicated, most other idtech 2 engines were licensed under GPL which is incompatible.

e: Well, Quake 2 anyway.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 8, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mischievous Mink posted:

It's not a retro shooter but that panini projection would be amazing in some UE4 games like Squad. I hope some devs get bold enough to give it a try.

emailing the system shock devs so they can implement the rear-view mirror mod but actually integrate it with your entire vision

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ETPC posted:

Looks like it's "just" the game DLL code, without any of the engine code? So nothing brand new, just an updated version of something that was already released back in the day for modding purposes. Still cool, mind! Hopefully a fuller open-sourcing occurs at some point, although that's probably not entirely Night Dive's call due to all the licensed Quake 2 code in there.

Meanwhile, GZDoom 4.4.0 is out, unbottling nearly five months of changes, fixes and feature-additions.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
What happened to that Kingpin remaster?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What happened to that Kingpin remaster?
I assume it's still under development and that 3DR just hasn't posted about it recently because they have a heap of other stuff to talk about lately (Wrath, Ion Fury Console Port, Ghostrunner...)

Actually, between those, the SiN remaster, and at least two unannounced projects (one RTS, one that's almost-certainly related to Rise of the Triad), they've kind of got a lot on their plate, haven't they?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I wish NightDive would remaster the poo poo out of the Jedi Engine games: Dark Forces and Jedi Knight. Those truly deserve some modern love.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I wish NightDive would remaster the poo poo out of the Jedi Engine games: Dark Forces and Jedi Knight. Those truly deserve some modern love.
Reasonably sure Night Dive wish the exact same thing and are constantly trying to get Disney-senpai to notice them. Alas, The Mouse seems perfectly content with its current retro-gaming partnerships with GOG and Double Fine.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its only tangentially related to FPS' titles, but I read Boss Fight Games' book on NBA Jam. The whole thing is steeped in 1990s game design culture, and reminded me heavily of Masters of Doom.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Its only tangentially related to FPS' titles, but I read Boss Fight Games' book on NBA Jam. The whole thing is steeped in 1990s game design culture, and reminded me heavily of Masters of Doom.

Still can't get over how NBA Jam started as a dungeon crawler

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

Chunderbucket posted:

Still can't get over how NBA Jam started as a dungeon crawler

what

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I feel so loving dumb that I just learned today thanks to YouTube’s recommendation algorithm that The Dark Mod is this huge original thing and not like a beautification mod for original Thief and now I have 7 years of backlog to catch up on.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Yeah, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F1cOvZ3nS8

Overload is good stuff, goons, thanks for the recommendations.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t99R5wiSJ7E

Huh, a Dark Messiah mod for Doom.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

(one RTS,
Bwuh?

Icarus did a video on it recently. It looks cool but also very, very early.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plugHVuV-js

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I know, right?

https://twitter.com/markiemusicpro/status/1257963776638214144

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm playing Gauntlet, the indie remake they released five years ago, and I have to say the mob management with predictable AI reminds me of modern Doom slaugther, having to know how to go around them, manipulate them to create a path, etc. You can see the influence of that type of 2d action games in Doom.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm playing Gauntlet, the indie remake they released five years ago, and I have to say the mob management with predictable AI reminds me of modern Doom slaugther, having to know how to go around them, manipulate them to create a path, etc. You can see the influence of that type of 2d action games in Doom.

Doom's great grandaddy was a Gauntlet clone. So not terribly surprising, but it's often overlooked.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Christ apparently some malevolent AI is trying to stop me from having any fun in Deus Ex. Anybody get this weird issue where shotgun blasts and the plasma rifle explosions cause the frame rate to tank? I'm playing GMDX community edition, but the same exact thing happened when I used another mod called Vanilla Matters (it's poo poo, don't bother). Didn't happen in the regular, unmodded game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
In the default game point-blank plasma shots could affect your frame rate, but nothing to make the game unplayable back in the early 2000's. Mods might be grossly upscaling the plasma hit texture, but I can't imagine that's the issue. Load your save in vanilla and find out?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Christ apparently some malevolent AI is trying to stop me from having any fun in Deus Ex. Anybody get this weird issue where shotgun blasts and the plasma rifle explosions cause the frame rate to tank? I'm playing GMDX community edition, but the same exact thing happened when I used another mod called Vanilla Matters (it's poo poo, don't bother). Didn't happen in the regular, unmodded game.

Dumb question, but are you using the improved OpenGL/Direct3D renderers? It'll make an immense positive difference if you aren't.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Serephina posted:

In the default game point-blank plasma shots could affect your frame rate, but nothing to make the game unplayable back in the early 2000's. Mods might be grossly upscaling the plasma hit texture, but I can't imagine that's the issue. Load your save in vanilla and find out?

Yeah what's weird is it happens in GMDX and in another mod that doesn't change any graphics at all. Just tested in vanilla and it doesn't happen.

Hasturtium posted:

Dumb question, but are you using the improved OpenGL/Direct3D renderers? It'll make an immense positive difference if you aren't.

Sure am.

I like a lot of the changes GMDX does but this poo poo is ridiculous. There's some other issues with it too. The regeneration aug will turn off after 1 second of use even with full energy and plenty of lost hit points.

Guess I'll just use Biomod. :(

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtRKUsuE-m4

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you're using the dx10 renderer, maybe try turning off all the post processing and lighting poo poo. I've had those gently caress up my frame rate a lot before.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Karasu Tengu posted:

If you're using the dx10 renderer, maybe try turning off all the post processing and lighting poo poo. I've had those gently caress up my frame rate a lot before.

I didn't even know this was a thing. How do I do this? Kentie's launcher only has basic options. I'm guessing it requires some fiddling with some inis.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Hit T(or whatever you rebound chat to) and type in "preferences" and it'll be in a window like this one.

There's a rundown on what each setting does on the website

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Karasu Tengu posted:

Hit T(or whatever you rebound chat to) and type in "preferences" and it'll be in a window like this one.

There's a rundown on what each setting does on the website

Awesome, thanks. Gonna reinstall GMDX and see if this does anything.

Update: Tried this, and the issue persists. :cry: Ah well. Maybe it's a problem with my machine.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 10, 2020

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Awesome, thanks. Gonna reinstall GMDX and see if this does anything.

Update: Tried this, and the issue persists. :cry: Ah well. Maybe it's a problem with my machine.

what happened to that flatten and reinstall emote

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So, we Quakin' hard... or hardly Quakin'?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm a big fan of the original despite its considerable flaws so I'm really looking forward to the remake, which hopefully means a lot of those issues (wonky stealth mechanics, damage scaling completely out of whack) get ironed out.

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1271064415023108096

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Is it still cel shading when it's this noisy?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Is it still cel shading when it's this noisy?

I can dig it. It definitely doesn't look photorealistic. Looks pretty similar to a modern comic book.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It looks like a more realistically shaded Borderlands.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that first image where everything is on fire didnt even seem cell shaded to me until i gave it a second look

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Have they fixed David Duchovny's voice acting?

"I've fallen into my own trap." :goleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The new style is growing on me but I miss the flat textures. This isn't that different from Call of Duty except they clamped the lighting and a thick outline.