Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Sure Annette may only have 5% more SPD growth than dear old dad but she's got what really counts. A big heart and a bigger ax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Why does Anna sound she's on half speed all the time

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Goddamn it, Dedue just stole my knowledge gem. Why does this poo poo keep happening

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
You put Dedue firmly in the dumpster because he's got nothing going for him. He's a defensive wall in a game that's got a huge focus on offense and has a negative growth in flying.

On top of that you lose him for multiple chapters no matter what, so you don't even need to raise him for RaD.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

being able to take a hit is really really good on lunatic tbh

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

On the other hand: Dedue is cool and you can pretty much use whoever in this game.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Natural 20 posted:

He's a defensive wall in a game that's got a huge focus on offense and has a negative growth in flying.

Definitely prefer Caspar for the defensive wall thing, because he'll tank the damage and then crit on the return blow. A very reliable boy.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Shout out though to when Dedue got hit by the 1 hp spell right in front of a divine beast, and proceeded to no sell every single attack from said divine beast

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I agree, sometimes you need to lure out a group of physical enemies and Dedue’s one of the very few characters who can do that (Alert Stance Ingrid could too but often she had to be flying around chasing objectives).

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Manatee Cannon posted:

God yes. Dedue was so useful for completing NG Maddening

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

eating only apples posted:

A very reliable boy.
https://www.twitch.tv/snakemommelissa/clip/CalmPowerfulClintTheThing

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Finally getting around to playing this. I'm in chapter 7 of Golden Deer. Game owns.

That's my post, thanks for reading.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You're welcome.

Feel free to post live impressions as you make your way through the game, those are always a treat.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Shadow225 posted:

Finally getting around to playing this. I'm in chapter 7 of Golden Deer. Game owns.

That's my post, thanks for reading.

Yes please post updates.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Okay I can do that. I probably won't read much because I'm afraid of spoilers but I can drive by impression occasionally!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Anyone that didn't let npc Dedue kill The bad guy is a monster.

This very importantly includes the game/devs because by golly I set all that up so he could have his vengeance and the game wouldn't let me.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I stopped sharing fan art in this thread even though 3H fan art is still wonderful but an artist I follow on twitter was doing commissions for donations to BLM/protest-related charities and so I actually for once commissioned something in honor of my first run-through almost a year ago.

it's the Byleth/Dorothea picture on the left; I may be biased but it's adorable.

https://twitter.com/relic_crusher/status/1269490477465649157

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Okay like I said, I on chapter 7 Golden Deer. I am playing on casual normal mode I think. I last played Fire Emblem when the first American game came over. I liked it, but never beat it. Part was me being an idiot at 13, part was a few really tough design decisions like perma death and weapon durability. Immediately, I am thankful for casual mode. If you want that tension, good on ya. I feel more compelled to play when there is less pressure.

I am impressed with the QoL stuff I have encountered. A lot of my complaints with the GBA game were addressed. Weapons still have durability, but you can easily buy and repair them. Magic is a skill that replenishes every battle. Support conversations are easier to achieve, and don't cost an action in battle. No missable recruits because you didn't know to have specific characters do specific things. And to tie it all together, the Persona slice of life system does a great job of keeping the game engaging while letting you recover from battles.

My complaints are minor. The female character design is questionable in places (Manuela comes to mind). The flirtiness with the students is questionable (I know that there is a time skip). I feel like the monastery is honestly too large, though I don't have to talk to everyone. All of that is minor. The biggest complaint is probably not a fair one: the writing forgets that it is a video game. I just did my character quest to get a relic. Lorenz, a character that apparently leads armies already, decides to let you control a family heirloom. Ostensibly this gives you a reason why you can equip it to other characters. But... It doesn't need to be explained?

I do wonder how the weapon triangle would affect the game. I liked that there are nods to it in the weapon skills. I really like gauntlets. My large adult son Raphael is a dedicated punch man. Lance seems not great without the weapon triangle. Only a few late game classes even care about lance.

Here are my current classes:
Byleth - Mercenary
Claude - Lord
Lorenz - Cavalier
Hilda - Brigand
Raphael - Brawler
Marianne - Priest
Ignatz - Theif
Lys - Mage
Leonie - Armor Knight (took forever to get her axe skill up)
Dorothea - Mage
Cyril - Sniper
Catherine - whatever her class is
Shamir - Sniper
Flayn - Pegasus Knight

I am currently working on Sylvain. I want to have a character for each class, and I do not like Lorenz as Cavalier. Other than him, I liked all of the Deer students. After that, I could probably go for another front line fighter like Felix, Petra, or Caspar. I am trying to recruit evenly from the other two houses. I don't know if I get to keep the professors; nor do I know if I should care about using them over students.

It took me forever, probably not aided by playing a chapter a month for 4 months, to figure out that the goals were related to classes. I still don't quite get why I care about Authority other than classes but whatever. Think I understand the rest of the game systems. It was a bit overwhelming at first.

Plot is kind of meh right now. Definitely floated by the rest of the upsides. Music is nice but could be more varied. I'm tired of typing now.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Authority lets you equip higher-level battalions. A lot of the paralogues reward you with B-rank battalions that can have absolutely enormous stat boosts.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Shadow225 posted:

Byleth - Mercenary
Claude - Lord
Lorenz - Cavalier
Hilda - Brigand
Raphael - Brawler
Marianne - Priest
Ignatz - Theif
Lys - Mage
Dorothea - Mage
Cyril - Sniper
Catherine - whatever her class is
Shamir - Sniper
Flayn - Pegasus Knight

My thoughts on classes:
Byleth: probably want to either build just enough axe to get death blow (all your physical fighters want this if you can get it for them), or go toward swords
Claude: Dear god, pls build both his bow and flying skill, you will thank me
Lorenz: absolutely wants magic classes (ultimately dark knight)
Hilda: good! can do well as a wyvern class, too
Raph: either that or armo-- ahaha, yeah, brawling it is
Marianne: do not neglect her offensive list; she's really good at it (also, all casters want mage mastery for fiendish blow)
Ignatz: assassin or sniper are your ultimate goals
Lysithea: also has a really good faith list
Leonie: either go for falcon or bow knight; if you really want someone to armor knight, try raphael
Dorothea: yes, good, and probably your best out-of-the-box unit for dancer, when it's an option
Cyril: also makes a good wyvern rider
Catherine: yeah, I don't really use her that much, but still good in her default
Shamir: might want lance/riding for bow knight, but otherwise good
Flayn: does better in magic classes, but if you've the dlc, build her toward dark flier

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

DC Murderverse posted:

I stopped sharing fan art in this thread even though 3H fan art is still wonderful but an artist I follow on twitter was doing commissions for donations to BLM/protest-related charities and so I actually for once commissioned something in honor of my first run-through almost a year ago.

it's the Byleth/Dorothea picture on the left; I may be biased but it's adorable.

https://twitter.com/relic_crusher/status/1269490477465649157

It's definitely adorable! Dorothea was the first character I married so I'm fond of the ship.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Anyone that didn't let npc Dedue kill The bad guy is a monster.

I keep trying but I can't find rhea on the map

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Shadow225 posted:

Oh god no my poor Leonie.

Quickly, get her ranks of assassin / swordmaster!

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Honestly, Armour Knight Leonie doesn't seem like a bad idea? It's not playing to her biggest strengths, but she has a high Def growth, being good at bows is nice for armours to get some extra reach in, her personal ability is well-suited to sitting at a chokepoint or the edge of an enemy's range, and her strengths in lances and horses let her easily qualify for cavalry classes to get more movement when a mission wants that more than tanking.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
BUT 65 DEX GROWTH.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Honestly, Armour Knight Leonie doesn't seem like a bad idea? It's not playing to her biggest strengths, but she has a high Def growth, being good at bows is nice for armours to get some extra reach in, her personal ability is well-suited to sitting at a chokepoint or the edge of an enemy's range, and her strengths in lances and horses let her easily qualify for cavalry classes to get more movement when a mission wants that more than tanking.

I prefer putting her on a pegasus knight for that job. She's Ingrid But Better for the most part, trading Ingrid's flying strength for better, well, strength.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Oh god no my poor Leonie.

Quickly, get her ranks of assassin / swordmaster!
someone has a cool unorthodox build for a character and your first reaction is "ew, no, make it go away"? for shame!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
How in God's name did Mercedes get voice acting like that? It's like a puppet from a preschool TV show being taught a lesson about something.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 9, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

snoremac posted:

How in God's name did Mercedes get voice acting like that? It's like a puppet from a preschool TV show being taught a lesson about something.

Ara ara?

Trying to emulate the Japanese tone, I presume.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

snoremac posted:

I think they wanted to imitate the airy, vaguely flirty tone the JP voice actress had but the dub VA had never done a voice like that before and didn't quite get the angle.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Goon consensus is that Mercedes is trans, which also fits with her settling more into her voice post-timeskip.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

people say that but i have never noticed a single difference in her performance during any part of the game.

(that's ok though because i actually like it)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Amppelix posted:

someone has a cool unorthodox build for a character and your first reaction is "ew, no, make it go away"? for shame!

No build involving armour is cool.

Leonie as an unstoppable critting killing machine is cool.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

No build involving armour is cool.
never have i heard a more incorrect opinion regarding fire emblem

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I got Bernie and Dorothea wearing heavy armor gently caress the haters

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

McTimmy posted:

Ara ara?

Trying to emulate the Japanese tone, I presume.

It is absolutely mimicking the japanese, a better localization of that feeling would be a deeper, motherly voice.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Goon consensus is that Mercedes is trans, which also fits with her settling more into her voice post-timeskip.

The one person?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Melomane Mallet posted:

My thoughts on classes:
Byleth: probably want to either build just enough axe to get death blow (all your physical fighters want this if you can get it for them), or go toward swords
Claude: Dear god, pls build both his bow and flying skill, you will thank me
Lorenz: absolutely wants magic classes (ultimately dark knight)
Hilda: good! can do well as a wyvern class, too
Raph: either that or armo-- ahaha, yeah, brawling it is
Marianne: do not neglect her offensive list; she's really good at it (also, all casters want mage mastery for fiendish blow)
Ignatz: assassin or sniper are your ultimate goals
Lysithea: also has a really good faith list
Leonie: either go for falcon or bow knight; if you really want someone to armor knight, try raphael
Dorothea: yes, good, and probably your best out-of-the-box unit for dancer, when it's an option
Cyril: also makes a good wyvern rider
Catherine: yeah, I don't really use her that much, but still good in her default
Shamir: might want lance/riding for bow knight, but otherwise good
Flayn: does better in magic classes, but if you've the dlc, build her toward dark flier

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll only quote one post because I'm on mobile.

One of the things that scared me away from FE is hearing people talk about optimal characters due to their stat growth. While obviously that's good info to know, I don't know how to grok that in game. I don't have to play super optimally, but I do think that way. Here instead of heavily researching everything, I had to concede to myself that I wasn't going to be perfect.

A lot of my choices were based on a combo of trying to have one of each class plus using a character's natural proclivities.
Byleth was a strong sword man, so I made him fast strong sword man.
Claude is the only Lord I have access to, so went there over Sniper.
Lorenz could have gona Cav or Mage, but I already had Lys as mage.
Hilda had natural axe proclivity, plus I like making female melee classes to overthrow the patriarchy in video games.
Raphael is obviously guided to heavy armor, but I wanted a punch man so a punch man he became.
Marianne was already in the white magic path.
Ignatz is probably better as a Sniper, but I didn't want Byleth to be my thief. Plus, I like the idea of a classy thief.
Lys is the natural mage of Deer.
Leonie most naturally fit cavalier, but at this point I didn't have an armor knight. Decided to get at least one. Training axe probably isn't the worst thing because she already had high Lance skill for the end game classes.
Catherine and Shamir stay in their respective classes.
Cyril became a sniper because Claude and Ignatz went different routes.
Dorothea seemed like a natural fit for mage. I've heard she makes a good dancer, but I don't actually see that as an option yet? Obviously it's an end game class, but I still don't see the option.
Sylvain will replace Lorenz as my cavalier once I recruit him.

I find FE to be an interesting series because while it teaches you how to play, it does not teach you how to play optimally. I guess few games do, but hiding stat growths and also having RNG in leveling up make for some weird decisions. Also things like all magic users should be mages or all melee should know axe are things I do not naturally encounter in game (at least yet).

Hopefully all of that came off more as me explaining my choices and critiques of the game rather than critique of your feedback!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shadow225 posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll only quote one post because I'm on mobile.

One of the things that scared me away from FE is hearing people talk about optimal characters due to their stat growth. While obviously that's good info to know, I don't know how to grok that in game. I don't have to play super optimally, but I do think that way. Here instead of heavily researching everything, I had to concede to myself that I wasn't going to be perfect.

Honestly play as you like, the game's easy enough and open enough that gimmick builds are absolutely viable and fun. Don't let people tell you otherwise!

Two things I do need to point out though:
-Raphael is not made for armour. He 100% wants to be a big punching lad and you did the right thing in letting him be that. War Master Raphael is very effective (but War Master is an absurd class in general). That said, you'll want to give him some axe proficiency for that and maybe let him be an axe dude on the first axe class for a bit so he gets Death Blow, Death Blow is extremely powerful.
-Dancer is unlocked later in the game through a request, though you only get one Dancer. Dorothea is an excellent choice for it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shadow225 posted:

I've heard she makes a good dancer, but I don't actually see that as an option yet? Obviously it's an end game class, but I still don't see the option.

Dancer unlocks based on the plot, and it's a good thing to shove anyone who's not turning out well into. Any of the student characters (so not Catherine, Shamir, and I think Cyril, but Flayn can do it) can do it if they have 8 charm, which is doable for most of them. So if there's anyone you like but isn't pulling their weight and you still want to use them, make them your dancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I hope in the next game, they nerf flyers to the ground. Or at least give them less ugly outfits