Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it is hypocritical to complain about the lack of good firefights and then use a lagswitch however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Stux posted:

it is hypocritical to complain about the lack of good firefights and then use a lagswitch however

luckily i don't complain about the lack of good firefights, i get plenty

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the main thing that gets worse after every patch is this fuggin thread!!!

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Famethrowa posted:

the main thing that gets worse after every patch is this fuggin thread!!!

some people aren't content just playing and posting about the game :(

in order news, raider farming on labs is hella good money right now, and ledXs are up to almost 2 million sine their increase in rarity.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
I decided to give it a go with a group of pubbies. Shot and killed 6 seconds in and I just knew that was going to be the result and said, "Nah that's so obvious that they wouldn't do it." :saddowns:

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.
The real question is why does arabian still have an SA account. Its a mystery :allears:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Xii posted:

The real question is why does arabian still have an SA account. Its a mystery :allears:

i like to talk to friends and at least three people like me :(

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
whats a good cheap gun set up ive been putting a foregrip on an sks/using a stock mosin/mp 153 with the monsterclaw when I can find one is there anything im missing out on

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012

dogsupremacy posted:

whats a good cheap gun set up ive been putting a foregrip on an sks/using a stock mosin/mp 153 with the monsterclaw when I can find one is there anything im missing out on

preferably something that could be slapped together from all traders level 2 and under tia

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Instead of worrying about the gun, buy a stock gun and shoot good ammo; a stock AKM from prapor running BP, a ak-74 running BT, a Vepr Hunter running M80, etc. Spend your money on good ammo and invest it in your enemies' bodies.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I just started playing this game.

Holy gently caress it is hard.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

good ammo is significantly more pricey at the moment though, by the time you're not paying through the nose for 7.62 BP/5.45 BT you're going to be less worried about cheap gun setups

otoh I do agree having reasonable ammo is the best thing you can do and stock guns are often quite reasonable

at low levels (haven't been able to play much) I've been finding myself favoring 7.62 guns just because PS is so inexpensive and workable, and once you have flea market access you can grab a 7.62 VPO for less than a vendor SKS, or an AKMS/AKMSN for ~30k

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
escape from tarkov thread was a mistake

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

LGD posted:

at low levels (haven't been able to play much) I've been finding myself favoring 7.62 guns just because PS is so inexpensive and workable, and once you have flea market access you can grab a 7.62 VPO for less than a vendor SKS, or an AKMS/AKMSN for ~30k

Yeah I’m all about 7.62 right now. PS is so cheap and pens T4 armor which is the best I’ve seen anyone running so far, if you can find something with a dovetail mount Prapor sells a decent scope at lvl1. Only tough thing before flea is getting 30 round mags. Once you get flea market AK104 and 103 are cheaper than other AKs.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

escape from tarkov thread was a mistake

I laughed!

Also everyone if we could stop using sperg or aspergers to describe things, I would like that.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Remember to buy recoil pads from papa Prapor for all your Kalashnikovs, they really loving matter for recoil control at full auto.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Whoever said that magdumping is better as the recoil levels out is right

https://i.imgur.com/w5l2kVl.mp4

Orv
May 4, 2011
My wild opinion is that I would like them to stop turning Tarkov into a second job if I want to do anything more than casually play scav runs or something like that.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Orv posted:

My wild opinion is that I would like them to stop turning Tarkov into a second job if I want to do anything more than casually play scav runs or something like that.

1000x this.

Moving the flea to 10 means that I still don't have it unlocked, as I'm still only level 7. This is a game I play for fun, not a career.

That's why I have Persona 5.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Even then just about everything is still crazy expensive until you have level 2 traders at 15. I’m sick of of running stock Lvl 1 guns with the worst possible ammo, hoping to kill a scav before I get loving wiped by a three man every raid. Only need to do on average about 40 more raids and I’ll be level 15.

Levels 10-15 takes just as much XP as 1-10. :)

Solo quest gameplay in Tarkov: lay in a bush for thirty minutes then get your poo poo done.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
just hit up reserve and grab that juicy 5.56 BT ammo, you can do just fine with it or 7.62 PS.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

I just want to put a sight on a gun and it not cost 100k

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Ak railed gas tube, level 1 peacekeeper sight

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Mae posted:

Ak railed gas tube, level 1 peacekeeper sight

Wow how did I miss that, thanks

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

InevitableCheese posted:

I just want to put a sight on a gun and it not cost 100k

are you buying the tactical tula rearsight thing??

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Nah just didn’t notice the inexpensive AK gas tube, or was using other guns cheap parts don’t really exist for.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

InevitableCheese posted:

Nah just didn’t notice the inexpensive AK gas tube, or was using other guns cheap parts don’t really exist for.

ah ok. I was just curious, because there is one attachment that was regularly 100 to 200k last wipe. always wondered if it ever was a newb trap.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

all i wanted was my machinery key...

poor guy slowly tapping away at rashala and his guards got a slug to the face

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

idiotsavant posted:

Some advice from one garbage player to other garbage players: Jaeger's Cold Blooded is a loving miserable garbage poo poo quest but it also opens up a bunch of other quests, including one that gives you 0.3 Jaeger rep (holy poo poo!!). Here's how I got it done:

1: stack a bunch of PMC kill/Factory quests like:
Skier - Stirrup (3 pistol kills)
Skier - Friend from the West pt 1 (7 USEC kills)
Jaeger - Huntsmen path: secured perimeter (8 kills in Factory office)
Jaeger - Cold blooded (of course)
Maybe something like Prapor - Punisher 5 if you're there (PMC kills w/ scav vest & 6b47 helmet)
Mechanic - Scout (three Factory exits)

2: get a cheap gun for headshots. I ended up just sticking with a P226 - a pistol and two mags of Pst was like $15k max. I tried a Kedr/Klin and they own for Factory but not so much for getting headshots if you can't aim well like me. I found pistols easier to aim for heads with and you only lose $15k a run. Pst is decent and cheap, and 18 round mags mean you can spam some without running out of bullets like with a 1911 or TT.

Note: this is for lovely players like me who can't aim and die a lot. Doing it this way means you can prep like 10 setups (pistol, 2 mags) and just zip through them.

3: get set up for tremor. I found the easiest and cheapest way was by maintaining dehydration. You can let it run out in another raid and go from there, or eat a full jar of mayo or a bunch of Slickers bars. I found the Slickers bars were a great cheap way to maintain 0 hydration if I had to go screw around in my hideout or take care of other chores. I tried all combos of vaseline, ibuprofen, painkillers, propital, etc. I think the most effective way was either painkillers or ibuprofen - I'd keep one stack in my alpha plus an IFAK and/or a propital/Factory key.

As long as your hydration is low (<5 for Ibuprofen, <7 for painkillers) you take one or the other immediately upon getting into raid and hide for 30 seconds or so for the tremor to kick in. WAITING IS CRITICAL! I got two extra headshots that didn't count cause it was too soon. Propital can be nice because it heals you while you lose health from dehydration, but honestly I usually died before it would have mattered, and a heal or two from my IFAK kept me going just fine.

4: get dem headshots. I did most of it this PST morning when it was busy, not sure what best times might be for everyone else.

5: gently caress you Jaeger

edit: two other things to pay attention to: healing after raid doesnt re-hydrate you thank goodness, and sometimes I'd randomly get like +20 hydration when I got in raid. It can be useful to stick a slickers in your secure just in case, and worst case scenario you can take 2-3 painkillers back to back to knock your hydration back down.

Alternatively, just keep an arm fractured (you can select not to heal fractures at the end of a raid) and just take painkillers to see properly and then play as normal. ! managed to do that quest today using that method.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

dogsupremacy posted:

Right now honestly a 7.62 VEPR does work, and you’ll get it back every time. The thread has always said that Tarkov is more about the ammo than the gun and going through a new wipe for the first time has really shown the truth of it to me. I feel like you might still have a couple weeks while PS is still fine.

Honestly even a 366 VEPR isn’t terrible either; it looks like the ammo has been upgraded to be actually usable. VEPR Hunters are always nice for M80, too, but you’ll probably have to figure out a solution for mags - if anything you can have a goon with Jaeger 3 bring you half a backpack of 10-rounders in raid.

Speaking of new wipe, it’s been a really interesting experience. I started playing Tarkov this past April, during a pretty matured wipe, and some of the PMC kill/Jaeger quests seemed almost impossible. How do you get tremor headshots and Mosin kills as a new player in Factory when everyone is running around in level 6 armor with face shields? New wipe, though, I’m already looking forward to getting my PACA and SVD Punisher quest kills on Factory, and I’m trying to get to the <25m Mosin kill quest early while 7N1 can one-shot pretty much everyone. If anything I think it speaks to overall game balance re: itemization - is the game actually better with high-end ammo and level 6 armor?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
PS: to the guy who gave the Mosin advice about cupping your target in the rear sight, loving thank you! Cleared my >40m Mosin iron sights quest in one magical Shoreline run thanks to you. 10 scav kills with a few headshots, even.

Is there any good info out there for other iron sights? I feel like 90% of the issue is that I’m not clear on what part of the sight I should be using for aim, primarily at distance. Like in regards to AKs, is it the tip of the center front post, or where the post hits the rear sight line, that kind of thing.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

yeah making the flea unlock at 10 is horrible for new players, i think it's unnecesary to even restrict it behind levels post FiR change since the reason it was implemented that way was to fight market bots

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just started playing this the other day and I'm enjoying it so far despite the insane learning curve but something really bugs me.

Why is there no compass? Even taking realism into account, like...Having a compass or some way to track your bearing is pretty much a given isn't it? seems weird that you can't buy one. I get that learning all the maps makes this less of an issue but I hate how easy it is to get disoriented even looking at a map because of it.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

yeah making the flea unlock at 10 is horrible for new players, i think it's unnecesary to even restrict it behind levels post FiR change since the reason it was implemented that way was to fight market bots

Absolutely agree.

As far as a lack of compass, once you get a feel for the maps you always know exactly where you are and where to go. They’re pretty large, but not too hard to learn, plus there are tons of landmarks to orient yourself.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

youll work out directions for all the maps except woods

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just started playing this the other day and I'm enjoying it so far despite the insane learning curve but something really bugs me.

Why is there no compass? Even taking realism into account, like...Having a compass or some way to track your bearing is pretty much a given isn't it? seems weird that you can't buy one. I get that learning all the maps makes this less of an issue but I hate how easy it is to get disoriented even looking at a map because of it.

yeah, I wouldn't mind a button that pulls up a compass on your arm or something

eventually routes will become rote, but call-outs would be so much easier if you could say nsew

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

so for you poors out there, i find that a 7.62x39 AR with PS ammo is by far the best budget weapon/ammo in the game, 32 pen with high damage for as little as 80 RB per shot is incredibly cost effective, especially when you can get full auto rifles that are 20-30k.

Find whatever is the cheapest gun out of: AK-103 , AK-104 , AKM , AKMN , AKMS , AKMSN . You can quickly do this by searching "7.62x39 " into the market. I can usually find one on average for 22k.

Then right click and linked search the gun that you bought, and buy the cheapest 30 round magazines you can find (if you have brapor or skier there are some super cheap ones for like 1000 roubles, but if not they'll run like around 5k a pop) and then buy PS ammo for that gun (brapor sells @ 88 roubles per, can be bought for cheaper at times).

3 mags (6000)
91 bullets (8008)
1 fully auto rifle (22000)
a handguard+ scope (optional) (+25000)
comtacs from ragman II (25000)
penishelm + paca from ragman (21000) (28000)

36,000 for a decent close range barebones AR, 130,000 for a cheap throwaway headset loadout with lovely trader levels

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

I’ve been running the 103/104 with PS,the cheap gas block, and sight from Lvl 1 traders and it’s been going great.

Compared to what most people are recommending (PP 5.45 or Mosin) it’s been going a lot better for me.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ak is always better. semi and full auto options with 30 rounds available in ur gun and quick reloads vs a bolt action rifle in a game with a decent amount of close combat and always one more enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Has anyone had a bug where the ammo type in their magazine changed mid-raid? I bought three empty 7.62x39 30 round mags, and just enough PS ammo for them and a 60 round stack for my container. I picked up a VPO in raid, took the scope, and dropped it. A few minutes later I open my inventory, my gun is red, and all of the ammo in my equipped mag was .366 FMJ. I stocked my kit straight from the market, and don't have any of that ammo type in my stash.

I know the mag also supports .366 ammo but the scav didn't have any 30 round mags.

Edit: Nvm, it was full of .366 when I got it off the flea.

InevitableCheese fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 8, 2020