Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What did it matter?
This poll is closed.
The mod squad (FORUM FRIENDS) has edited the poll 11 1.38%
And inserted their good jokes 4 0.50%
While the rest of you laugh 9 1.13%
Bowsette 103 12.88%
347 43.38%
killer comedy option $69,420.69 15 1.88%
big bandicoot baps 311 38.88%
Total: 800 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Heartcatch posted:

Discovery was really weird to me since the main character wasn't the captain. I appreciated that they tried to go for a wider ensemble cast compared to TNG, but maybe it took me out of my comfort zone w/r/t Star Trek. I still feel that it would have had more freedom/been more attractive had they set the show shortly after the Dominion War.

I didn't make it past season 1, but it was decent at times. I've not seen Picard or Orville.
i'd be fine with a show about michael burnham, if she wasnt in a dour and oppressive Prestige Drama where all your protagonists are constantly doing warcrimes. also the effort they go to to link her to spock and sarek to have some kind of connection to TOS is aggressively lame. maybe season 3 will be better now that they've deliberately went out of their way to cut all of that stuff out, but i'm doubtful

picard is rear end, orville is not Good but it is serviceable TNG fan fiction and if moralistic and optimistic star trek adventures are what you're looking for rather than just scifi in general it fits the bill nicely. the best orville episodes are at least as good as a mediocre episode of TNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

If FF6 is A New Hope, Chrono Trigger is Return of the Jedi. It's fine, but you can see the bones of several far more interesting games in it that it touches on just briefly enough to be unsatisfying

I feel like you're reacting to something that to me is one of Chrono Trigger's biggest strengths: it's breezy. It doesn't get bogged down in any one thing for too long and makes sure the story keeps moving at a nice pace. It's not the kind of pacing I'd want for every JRPG, but I think it's one of the things that makes Chrono Trigger so pleasant to play.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Discovery is the better Star Trek series.
Picard is good for the nostalgia hit, but it's not amazing.

Discovery is bad, Picard is godawful

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Andrast posted:

Discovery is bad, Picard is godawful

yes, ty I thought I was going crazy

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

absolutely no circumstances should anyone in star trek use the f word

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I like Mandalorian, but I'm a Star Wars mark.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Awesome Animals posted:

I like Mandalorian, but I'm a sci-fi mark.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I only read the hardest sci-fi.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

What, nobody's going to agree with me that a series set to rebuild postwar Cardassia would have been more interesting?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

star wars is fantasy in space

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Stux posted:

this is correct

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

precision posted:

If FF6 is A New Hope, Chrono Trigger is Return of the Jedi. It's fine, but you can see the bones of several far more interesting games in it that it touches on just briefly enough to be unsatisfying

lol wow this is painfully wrong.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stux posted:

and westerns are american fantasy, hence the mandalorian

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Irresponsible Captain Tylor is comedy in space

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really like Discovery's characters and setting. It's the overarching plots that failed to grab me. Season 2 was carried by how fun Tilly and Saru are but I really couldn't care less about the whole magic space angel story.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Irresponsible Captain Tylor is comedy in space

it's no nadesico

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

frak!!! :twisted:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is there a modern Star Trek that is just episodic space adventures with some continuity, or are they now full of high stakes action all the time like the movies with a heavy overarching story.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hatty posted:

Is there a modern Star Trek that is just episodic space adventures with some continuity, or are they now full of high stakes action all the time like the movies with a heavy overarching story.
thats the orville

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

As far as Star Trek, no that era is long dead sadly. I can't stand modern Star Trek. I don't mind full of high stakes action and drama, but the stories from Discovery, and Picard, were just pure poo poo. I like 90s Star Trek with its vastly more interesting politics, space gods, and Miles O'Brien (who is also a space god).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the people that wrote picard i'm not convinced watched any TNG, but they sure as heck watched a lot of the expanse and decided to make a worse version of that

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

homeless snail posted:

it's no nadesico

It's no ep3 Guy reveal :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I liked the new Star Trek movies

That's about all I have to say about it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

homeless snail posted:

it's no nadesico
Yeah it's way better.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
hope everyone had a good weekend

why dont we talk more about how fuckin good def jam fight for ny was?

i have been playing the psp version on my vita lately. apparently it's a prequel to def jam vendetta. i bet that one looks good on dolphin.

also, i really love valorant, but it takes too long. overwatch really has that dad-friendly in and out match length

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gripweed posted:

But nothing for PS1-3? That's a shame.

They’ve been silent on that part so far, but there was a lot of conspicuous blank space in Cerny’s backwards compatibility graphic during the hardware spec talk, so it’s still kind of up in the air.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I only read the hardest sci-fi.

Go read the Ice Company series then, pretty sure there are over 100 books and only a couple were translated into English so you can have a hard time reading and understanding the French versions.

Unless you know how to speak French, in which case this joke doesn't work.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope it’s better implemented than the PS2 on PS4 stuff when it happens

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Go read the Ice Company series then, pretty sure there are over 100 books and only a couple were translated into English so you can have a hard time reading and understanding the French versions.

Unless you know how to speak French, in which case this joke doesn't work.

I took 5 years of French in high school but my retention of anything that isn't just vocabulary is really bad. It would be a struggle.

If I want really hard sci-fi I'll read The Three Body Problem in the original Chinese :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

lol wow this is painfully wrong.

I'm just funnin' around :v:

I've been working nonstop the past two days for Delivery Company That Shall Remain Nameless and let's just say, people are tipping a lot to porters now. I'm a real hero!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

precision posted:

I'm just funnin' around :v:

Okay we good then. :colbert:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

likers get liked, keep on keeping on

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh and my record label is raising money for the Nashville bail fund. We have dozens of great records that came out this year. Check it out. d/a73 dot bandcamp dot com.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
chrono trigger isn't my favorite square snes rpg but I've grown to respect it

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

John Romero posted:

hope everyone had a good weekend

why dont we talk more about how fuckin good def jam fight for ny was?

i have been playing the psp version on my vita lately. apparently it's a prequel to def jam vendetta. i bet that one looks good on dolphin.

also, i really love valorant, but it takes too long. overwatch really has that dad-friendly in and out match length

Def Jam: FFNY is my favourite ever fighting game. Unfortunately the GC version didn't look as good as the PS2 or Xbox and missed a few tracks including Mama Said Knock You Out, which was a shame :(

Also the video codec doesn't work very well with Dolphin so it's a tough experience to emulate it seems. No idea how the PS2 version emulates.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

precision posted:

Oh and my record label is raising money for the Nashville bail fund. We have dozens of great records that came out this year. Check it out. d/a73 dot bandcamp dot com.

And bookmark it for the 19th when Bandcamp will be donating proceeds

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SeXReX posted:

And bookmark it for the 19th when Bandcamp will be donating proceeds

Thank you, yes, I forgot about that :)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i haven't seen discovery or picard but i have watched a few "this is how tng/ds9 does it and this is how discovery/picard does it" and discovery/picard look b bad

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

i'd be fine with a show about michael burnham, if she wasnt in a dour and oppressive Prestige Drama where all your protagonists are constantly doing warcrimes. also the effort they go to to link her to spock and sarek to have some kind of connection to TOS is aggressively lame. maybe season 3 will be better now that they've deliberately went out of their way to cut all of that stuff out, but i'm doubtful

picard is rear end, orville is not Good but it is serviceable TNG fan fiction and if moralistic and optimistic star trek adventures are what you're looking for rather than just scifi in general it fits the bill nicely. the best orville episodes are at least as good as a mediocre episode of TNG

At the same time, they made me care more about Spock in a season of a bad show than they did in a whole boring Star Trek main series and a bunch of movies and also a JJ movie. Giving Spock a beard was a huge mistake though, made him look exactly like 4 other identical dudes and then Picard goes and adds like 2-3 more of the same guy too.

homeless snail posted:

They should use it way more actually, they're actual space sailors who should cuss like sailors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Imagine being in the future, or present, or past and being upset someone said a bad word, except it's not actually a bad word like a slur or some kind of hurtful language it's actually just a word that even little kids say on a playground