Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

FrickenMoron posted:

How are you supposed to beat the Nod Mission (8?) where you have to capture a gdi base? as soon as you capture it youre under constant siege from air strikes and other poo poo while you have absolutely no money and your harvester gets destroyed.

This guy has amazing speed runs that have helped me on a couple. A lot of min/max cheesing stuff I don't really attempt but it's useful to see different strategies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x86kxqL-iLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJTVf1yLD6c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

axeil posted:

I remember this mission being insanely hard too.

I haven't replayed any of the Soviet missions yet, but even after 20+ years, Khalkis Island is still burned into my brain.

The way I remember doing it was after clearing the mainland was just building a ton of Yaks and having them hit the command center & other stuff on the island. The AA guns would murder a fair chunk, so I'd try and time them with recon flights, as those would draw some of the fire away from the fighters. Aside from that, I recall the Allies would sometimes get a landing craft full of reinforcements on that beach to the Southeast, and they'd ruin paratroopers I'd try and drop ahead of any landing. I'd build up as much as I can, with subs slowly clearing the Allied ships, and then go full D-Day with several ships dropping troops on the Southwest beach.

Probably not the best or most efficient way to do it, but that's how 10-year old me did it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fartknocker posted:

I haven't replayed any of the Soviet missions yet, but even after 20+ years, Khalkis Island is still burned into my brain.

The way I remember doing it was after clearing the mainland was just building a ton of Yaks and having them hit the command center & other stuff on the island. The AA guns would murder a fair chunk, so I'd try and time them with recon flights, as those would draw some of the fire away from the fighters. Aside from that, I recall the Allies would sometimes get a landing craft full of reinforcements on that beach to the Southeast, and they'd ruin paratroopers I'd try and drop ahead of any landing. I'd build up as much as I can, with subs slowly clearing the Allied ships, and then go full D-Day with several ships dropping troops on the Southwest beach.

Probably not the best or most efficient way to do it, but that's how 10-year old me did it.

Yeah, I threw infinite Yaks at this. I remember this mission.

I loved Yaks and Migs and would cover my entire side of the map with airfields.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Stack those airfields from the bottom to the top, that's how we do it

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

axeil posted:

I remember this mission being insanely hard too.

Oh man, it's indeed a hard mission but I love it to death. I feel like this is the first mission I hit in Red Alert that reallllllly made me fall in love with the series. RA was the first C&C that I played. I went back to TD when I found it on sale at a KB Toys and was lukewarm to it due to the difficulty/lack of skirmish mode.

fartknocker posted:

That's how I remember doing it when I first played it. TBQH, I will probably go back and play that mission the same way, it's just stupidly fun. For whatever reason, it didn't feel as grindy or annoying to build up large armies for attacks in Red Alert like it did in TD.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 8, 2020

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
It is complete: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926664&pagenumber=1#post505527075

As was pointed out you can use paratroopers but theres some gotchas.

If you want specific missions post in my LP thread so I don't lose track of what people want done.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

FrickenMoron posted:

Can you check Soviet 5 for me? The Win condition to be specific. I managed to "break" it on my run by killing the lander before the spare MCV can flee so they never built a base on the 2nd island. I killed every enemy unit on the map but it's not triggering the victory.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who managed to do that.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The win condition is all enemies dead so I can only assume theres units left or killing the mcv before it gets in the transport breaks the triggers.

for GDI8A the trick is to part rocket soldiers on the cliffs above the airfield and shoot down airplanes, and rain fire with the MLRS.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy

Spookydonut posted:

The win condition is all enemies dead so I can only assume theres units left or killing the mcv before it gets in the transport breaks the triggers.

for GDI8A the trick is to part rocket soldiers on the cliffs above the airfield and shoot down airplanes, and rain fire with the MLRS.

I found with killing the mcv the game spawns an entirely different transport and it lands on the island and out pops another mcv, I really loved having a clump of subs trying to clear the destroyers and having only one surface to shoot and they get wrecked by depth charges.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I am extremely triggered by Light Scout

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Nod 8a is much easier than Nod 8b, if that helps you.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Hard difficulty is indeed busted.

I found this in CONFIG.MEG, called DIFFICULTYADJUSTMENTS.XML - it's hard to tell if this is actually configuration for the Remaster, it might be 8-Bit Armies leftover stuff:

code:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<Difficulty_Adjustments>

<Difficulty_Adjustment Name="Easy_Default">
		<Credit_Multiplier>0.75</Credit_Multiplier>
		<Strategic_Build_Time_Multiplier>1.5</Strategic_Build_Time_Multiplier>
		<Land_Build_Time_Multiplier>1.5</Land_Build_Time_Multiplier>
		<Damage_Multiplier>0.5</Damage_Multiplier>
	</Difficulty_Adjustment>

<Difficulty_Adjustment Name="Normal_Default">
		<Credit_Multiplier>1.0</Credit_Multiplier>
		<Strategic_Build_Time_Multiplier>1.0</Strategic_Build_Time_Multiplier>
		<Land_Build_Time_Multiplier>1.0</Land_Build_Time_Multiplier>
		<Damage_Multiplier>1.0</Damage_Multiplier>
	</Difficulty_Adjustment>

<Difficulty_Adjustment Name="Hard_Default">
		<Credit_Multiplier>1.15</Credit_Multiplier>
		<Strategic_Build_Time_Multiplier>0.9</Strategic_Build_Time_Multiplier>
		<Land_Build_Time_Multiplier>0.9</Land_Build_Time_Multiplier>
		<Damage_Multiplier>1.1</Damage_Multiplier>
	</Difficulty_Adjustment>

<Difficulty_Adjustment Name="Hard_Scripted_Mission_Default">
		<Credit_Multiplier>1.3</Credit_Multiplier>
		<Strategic_Build_Time_Multiplier>1.0</Strategic_Build_Time_Multiplier>
		<Land_Build_Time_Multiplier>0.75</Land_Build_Time_Multiplier>
		<Damage_Multiplier>1.5</Damage_Multiplier>
	</Difficulty_Adjustment>

</Difficulty_Adjustments>
There is a lot of cruft from past Petroglyph games in there, so it's sometimes hard to tell what is being actually repurposed and what are unused leftover files from Grey Goo, 8-Bit Armies or Conan Unleashed. Most are labeled as CNC but a few have vague titles like GameConstants.xml and you can spot a few specific C&C references plugged in there. And sometimes you find funny comments:

code:
<StoneExpirationMultiplier> 1.0 </StoneExpirationMultiplier>
<!-- Adjusts stone timers on a global level 1.0 is normal.  DO NOT TOUCH THIS NUMBER (EVEN YOU CHRIS) WITHOUT SEEING ME FIRST! - PAT-->

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I am extremely triggered by Light Scout

If you haven't already seen it, there is a mod that changes it back to Hum-vee.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I installed that mod before I even installed the game. :colbert:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I am soo glad I'm not alone in this world

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I noticed that name change immediately too, then went "oh, of course."

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Is repair speed for the AI affected by difficulty as well? I swear they heal buildings like Wolverine.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Great, I just wasted an hour on NOD 11 because YOU CANT GET ANY REINFORCEMENTS TO THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE MAP. I didn't even know I have units there before the goddamn AI airstriked the artilleries and everything else.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man I forgot how rough the economy is in TD. It feels like by the time I've got enough miners and refineries to get a steady flow coming in I'm all out of nearby tiberium.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Great, I just wasted an hour on NOD 11 because YOU CANT GET ANY REINFORCEMENTS TO THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE MAP. I didn't even know I have units there before the goddamn AI airstriked the artilleries and everything else.

How'd they get thit by airstrikes? Did the targeting get changed? Airstrike should always be going fo the nothernmost unit/building, they shouldn't be hitting south of the river unless everything else is already dead (at which point you'd have other issues).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Is there a list of changes to Hard mode in Tiberian Dawn? It is brutally unfun

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Space Butler posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who managed to do that.

Same here. I thought it was amusing that the MCV was stuck breakdancing in the corner but I guess joke's on me!

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's weird because not only do they make their units better, they make yours worse... It's basically changes to fire rate, speed, armour, damage etc. x1.2, and yours x0.8

You do one or the other, not both (and there's no real friendly fire), since it compounds and basically ends up as a x1.5 bonus to the enemy.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Nostalgamus posted:

How'd they get thit by airstrikes? Did the targeting get changed? Airstrike should always be going fo the nothernmost unit/building, they shouldn't be hitting south of the river unless everything else is already dead (at which point you'd have other issues).

It seems like the GDI airstrike controller got changed to the same logic that the ion cannon/nukes use where they prioritize high value base defenses and then advanced units instead of just "westernmost of nothernmost units". Artillery seems to count as a high value target for this purpose. As much as the original logic was clearly a hackjob, this makes missions where the enemy has airstrikes way more annoying.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Fishbus posted:

It's weird because not only do they make their units better, they make yours worse... It's basically changes to fire rate, speed, armour, damage etc. x1.2, and yours x0.8

You do one or the other, not both (and there's no real friendly fire), since it compounds and basically ends up as a x1.5 bonus to the enemy.

Yeah, I got up to the NOD mission where you have to kill a village and got completely loving wrecked. Grenadiers go from being a priority target to one man death squads. Each grenade was knocking out 2-3 of my infantry, it was just fuuuuuucked.

The original Red Alert had a hard mode which I remember affected the prices of things, why isn't that the same deal? It was challenging without being awful.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Is there a way to keep units in formation so the fast units don’t speed ahead of the slow ones and get massacred before my tanks can get there, or did this game predate that kind of option?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sheen Sheen posted:

Is there a way to keep units in formation so the fast units don’t speed ahead of the slow ones and get massacred before my tanks can get there, or did this game predate that kind of option?

Only in RA. Check the hotkeys, but it should be F when you select a group of units.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Nostalgamus posted:

Airstike has a serious hard on for artillery and Obelisks.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Has anyone given that pathfinding mod a go? It's supposed to add rally points also.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Here's everything we've put together in the thread.

axeil posted:

huh, so apparently the Hard difficulty mode is completely busted. A Light Tank will beat a Medium Tank 1v1 and Grenadiers/Flamethrowers will utterly destroy things because turns out instead of giving the AI more cash or faster builds they buffed every unit and weakened yours.

They really need to consider re-working this. Missions with limited units are nearly impossible because of it. Makes sense why I was having so much trouble with the later NOD limited resource missions.

Some guy made a video about it that shows it in action. The one GDI mission where you have to destroy the turrets on the opposite shore seems to be impossible to complete on Hard unless you get very lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nADjefF4l6c

axeil posted:

Yeah, the video shows off Casual mode too which seems to just make everything practically invulnerable. I kinda wish they had went with tweaks to the economy rather than tweaks to units for the new difficulty sliders in Tiberian Dawn.

As far as I'm aware they didn't touch difficulty in Red Alert since it already had 3 difficulty modes.

Looking through GitHub, here's everything that Hard seems to change.

https://github.com/electronicarts/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/master/TIBERIANDAWN/HOUSE.CPP

Enemies alert in approximately half the time (4 to 10 ticks instead of 5 to 20)

code:
		if (GameToPlay == GAME_NORMAL && PlayerPtr->Difficulty == DIFF_HARD) {
			AlertTime = (TICKS_PER_MINUTE * Random_Pick(4, 10));
		} else {
			if (GameToPlay == GAME_NORMAL && PlayerPtr->Difficulty == DIFF_EASY) {
				AlertTime = (TICKS_PER_MINUTE * Random_Pick(16, 40));
			} else {
				AlertTime = (TICKS_PER_MINUTE * Random_Pick(5, 20));
			}
		}
	}
Seems that the logic for re-building harvesters is different on hard, not quite sure how though.

code:

/*
	**	A computer controlled house will try to build a replacement
	**	harvester if possible.
	*/
if (IQ >= Rule.IQHarvester && !IsTiberiumShort && !IsHuman && BQuantity[STRUCT_REFINERY] > UQuantity[UNIT_HARVESTER] && Difficulty != DIFF_HARD) {
		//if (UnitTypeClass::As_Reference(UNIT_HARVESTER).Level <= (unsigned)Control.TechLevel) {
		if (UnitTypeClass::As_Reference(UNIT_HARVESTER).Level <= (unsigned)BuildLevel) {
			BuildUnit = UNIT_HARVESTER;
			return(TICKS_PER_SECOND);

/*
				**	A computer controlled house will try to build a replacement
				**	harvester if possible. Never replace harvesters if the game
				**	is in easy mode.
				*/
				if (!(GameToPlay == GAME_NORMAL && PlayerPtr->Difficulty == DIFF_EASY) && !IsHuman && (ActiveBScan & STRUCTF_REFINERY) && !(UScan & UNITF_HARVESTER)) {
					techno = &UnitTypeClass::As_Reference(UNIT_HARVESTER);
					if (techno->Scenario <= BuildLevel) break;
					techno = 0;
				}

}
https://github.com/electronicarts/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/master/TIBERIANDAWN/UNIT.CPP

AI is more aggressive about crushing infantry, always doing it if possible on Hard

code:
/*
			**	Try to crush the attacker if it can be crushed by this unit and this unit is
			**	not equipped with a flame type weapon. If this unit has a weapon and the target
			**	is not very close, then fire on it instead. In easy mode, they never run over the
			**	player. In hard mode, they always do. In normal mode, they only overrun past
			**	mission #8.
			*/
			if ((Class->Primary == WEAPON_NONE || (Distance(source) < 0x0180 && BulletTypeClass::As_Reference(Weapons[Class->Primary].Fires).Warhead != WARHEAD_FIRE)) &&
						(GameToPlay != GAME_NORMAL ||
						*this != UNIT_HARVESTER ||
						BuildLevel > 8 ||
						PlayerPtr->Difficulty == DIFF_HARD) &&
						!(GameToPlay == GAME_NORMAL && PlayerPtr->Difficulty == DIFF_EASY) &&
						Class->IsCrusher &&  source->Is_Techno() && ((TechnoTypeClass const &)source->Class_Of()).IsCrushable) {

Assign_Destination(source->As_Target());
				Assign_Mission(MISSION_MOVE)

Spookydonut posted:

https://github.com/spookydonut/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/d9e287e08b3e2fb3e46690d1029f90e3b17faf0f/TIBERIANDAWN/HOUSE.CPP#L251

https://github.com/spookydonut/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/d9e287e08b3e2fb3e46690d1029f90e3b17faf0f/TIBERIANDAWN/SCENARIO.CPP#L176

https://github.com/spookydonut/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/d9e287e08b3e2fb3e46690d1029f90e3b17faf0f/TIBERIANDAWN/TECHNO.CPP#L304

It pulls from I assume a rules config file but I don't know where that is.

edit: found it

code:
<RulesTypeClass Name="TD" network="server">
		<Difficulties>
			<Difficulty>
				<Key>Easy</Key>
				<Value>
					<Firepower>1.2</Firepower>
					<Groundspeed>1.2</Groundspeed>
					<Airspeed>1.2</Airspeed>
					<BuildTime>0.6</BuildTime>
					<Armor>0.3</Armor>
					<ROF>0.8</ROF>
					<Cost>0.8</Cost>
					<RepairDelay>0.001</RepairDelay>
					<BuildDelay>0.001</BuildDelay>
					<BuildSlowdown>false</BuildSlowdown>
					<DestroyWalls>true</DestroyWalls>
					<ContentScan>true</ContentScan>
				</Value>
			</Difficulty>
			<Difficulty>
				<Key>Normal</Key>
				<Value>
					<Firepower>1.0</Firepower>
					<Groundspeed>1.0</Groundspeed>
					<Airspeed>1.0</Airspeed>
					<BuildTime>1.0</BuildTime>
					<Armor>1.0</Armor>
					<ROF>1.0</ROF>
					<Cost>1.0</Cost>
					<RepairDelay>0.02</RepairDelay>
					<BuildDelay>0.03</BuildDelay>
					<BuildSlowdown>true</BuildSlowdown>
					<DestroyWalls>true</DestroyWalls>
					<ContentScan>true</ContentScan>
				</Value>
			</Difficulty>
			<Difficulty>
				<Key>Hard</Key>
				<Value>
					<Firepower>0.8</Firepower>
					<Groundspeed>0.8</Groundspeed>
					<Airspeed>0.8</Airspeed>
					<BuildTime>1.0</BuildTime>
					<Armor>1.2</Armor>
					<ROF>1.2</ROF>
					<Cost>1.0</Cost>
					<RepairDelay>0.05</RepairDelay>
					<BuildDelay>0.1</BuildDelay>
					<BuildSlowdown>true</BuildSlowdown>
					<DestroyWalls>false</DestroyWalls>
					<ContentScan>false</ContentScan>
				</Value>
			</Difficulty>
		</Difficulties>
	</RulesTypeClass>

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Oxyclean posted:

I noticed that name change immediately too, then went "oh, of course."

What am I missing? I noticed the weird name change too but I'm confused by the of course part.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Katamari Democracy posted:

What am I missing? I noticed the weird name change too but I'm confused by the of course part.

Humvee is trademarked.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

It would be cool if Hard mode instead just made enemy units dirt cheap so they could swarm you instead of facing antifa supersoldiers. At least that's what I'd rather face, lol.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah, I got up to the NOD mission where you have to kill a village and got completely loving wrecked. Grenadiers go from being a priority target to one man death squads. Each grenade was knocking out 2-3 of my infantry, it was just fuuuuuucked.

That mission took me a solid 4 hours before I finally managed to finally drag myself across the finish line. Basically you have to just save every time you take out a GDI unit and try to take as little damage as possible on your bikes and buggies so that you can survive the canyon of death that's filled with grenadiers (and an APC that spits out a bunch more grenadiers when you kill it).

to make things even better, once you finally clear all the enemies and start wasting the village, there's a seemingly random chance that each civvy structure you destroy spits out anywhere from 0 to 3 (!!!) GDI minigunners, which can kill like 5 of your own minigunners easily due to the aforementioned stat buffs and debuffs on hard (and the fact that your minigunners are likely wounded by the end of the mission anyway).

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Seems like there's no reason at all to play on hard.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Fallom posted:

Humvee is trademarked.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

HannibalBarca posted:

That mission took me a solid 4 hours before I finally managed to finally drag myself across the finish line. Basically you have to just save every time you take out a GDI unit and try to take as little damage as possible on your bikes and buggies so that you can survive the canyon of death that's filled with grenadiers (and an APC that spits out a bunch more grenadiers when you kill it).

to make things even better, once you finally clear all the enemies and start wasting the village, there's a seemingly random chance that each civvy structure you destroy spits out anywhere from 0 to 3 (!!!) GDI minigunners, which can kill like 5 of your own minigunners easily due to the aforementioned stat buffs and debuffs on hard (and the fact that your minigunners are likely wounded by the end of the mission anyway).

yeah.................. i admire your dedication, but i'm not wasting 4 hours of my life on that

that just isn't fun

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

There is a Trophy.

Also I suppose there are people who want hard games to test their skill. But it's nonsense.

Skill presupposes that the hard mode is a balanced challenge that is tough. It isn't.
It's a set of multipliers applied to an age old game with no consideration made to any of the precise game building that had taken place.

It's the gaming equivalent of a project which has been planned and budgeted down to last dollar. Then a manager slashes the budget by 20% and tells the team to do it anyway.

I've tried downloading mod that is supposed to remove all the unit changes from Hard mode. I'll see how it runs.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yeah, the limited unit missions were always fairly tough to begin with, i'm dreading the one where you have to get doctor moebius to safety which iirc involves destroying sam sites while under heavy fire from obelisks

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

There is a Trophy.

Also I suppose there are people who want hard games to test their skill. But it's nonsense.

Skill presupposes that the hard mode is a balanced challenge that is tough. It isn't.
It's a set of multipliers applied to an age old game with no consideration made to any of the precise game building that had taken place.

It's the gaming equivalent of a project which has been planned and budgeted down to last dollar. Then a manager slashes the budget by 20% and tells the team to do it anyway.

I've tried downloading mod that is supposed to remove all the unit changes from Hard mode. I'll see how it runs.

I'm planning on testing my modifications to hard tonight. Provided it works well I'll provide the definitions itt. I might even make it an official mod but I have no idea how to actually go about packaging it for use on the Steam Workshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Kin posted:

As an aside, was there ever a way discovered to roll back the Steam C&C3 version to unfuck the campaign difficulty?

I would kill for this. I've been wanting to replay those campaigns for years.