Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

The way to think about pumps is that a pump creates a 20m ceiling above itself, past which it won't pump water. Sticking a bunch of pumps right next to each other doesn't do much, because they will all place the ceiling at about the same height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mayveena posted:

If you click on the image you can see a larger one. This is from the refinery and the oil has never flowed. I do have pipes going uphill though down the line, wasn't thinking.

Fluid in pipes can only go up as high as I think the height of building the produces it? More than that you'll need to put a pump on, which raises the max height to 20m above the pump. And of course you can chain them.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 8, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mayveena posted:

Power is there, I checked the closest power pole and it's sending power. I'm sending the oil to the refinery to make plastic. I have the refinery outputting to a fluid buffer and a storage container. There's no other connection that is interfacing with the oil pipes.

Is there a water component to the recipe that you're not supplying?

When in doubt just delete it and rebuild and make sure it's flowing piece by piece.

I really think the best part of these factory games is diagnosing hiccups, it's satisfying when you unkink the problem and everything runs right.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Hey, all:

I played a little of Factorio but bounced off of it when I had to create conveyor belts which had specific items in specific orders for factories to use. Am I going to have the same frustrations with this game, or is the input/conveyor system easier to deal with?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

Hey, all:

I played a little of Factorio but bounced off of it when I had to create conveyor belts which had specific items in specific orders for factories to use. Am I going to have the same frustrations with this game, or is the input/conveyor system easier to deal with?

It's way simpler in Satisfactory, and you never run out of ore, so once you set up some inbound ore or ingots you can just wait for more stuff to get built instead of min-maxing everything. It's pretty chill.

The times when you absolutely need 2 types of things on a conveyor are mostly for loading or unloading storage, and there's splitters that handle it, but in reality you can just use separate containers and don't let them combine, it's not an issue.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

Hey, all:

I uhhh, don't think you were playing factorio right

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

skeleton warrior posted:

Hey, all:

That does not sound like Factorio.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ymgve posted:

I mean, you can feed factories that way, since the inserter doesn't care what items it's picking up as long as the factory accepts them. So, for example, if you have a factory making red science packs, you can hook up a single belt with alternating copper plates and iron gears and it'll happily turn them into science packs.

That said, this is much more difficult, error-prone, slower, and harder to debug than just running two belts to the factory, so you are basically getting easier belt routing in exchange for a more complicated and fragile factory setup in every other way. It's definitely an advanced technique and not one I've ever used, or really seen used -- it might be useful on e.g. seablock maps where space is at an absolute premium, perhaps?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

skeleton warrior posted:

Hey, all:

Stuff in Satisfactory is more obvious than it is in Factorio. The fact that nothing runs out coupled with more space than you could actually ever use means that mistakes don't impact your game as much. Noting that, you have to be pretty careful in merging two disparate belts, there's usually a better way to solve the issue, just ask here if you come across it again.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Taffer posted:

I uhhh, don't think you were playing factorio right

ymgve posted:

Like I said, it was a while ago, way early access, and I remember having to get a bunch of different items for labs to run which meant putting conveyors to circle them so that when they were ready to take something off of a conveyor it was there was an item available, and it might be one of a couple of different items, so you had to have both of them available.

I could have had the game explained to me badly, though, this was before there was any effective tutorial. Or my friends who insisted I play co-op with them just made me skip it; like I said, it was years ago.

edit: I just checked and it was whatever build was out in January of '18

edit2: Thanks for the replies - it definitely sounds like this is worth trying out. Also, that I should re-check out Factorio as either I learned it very badly or they've made huge strides in making it easier

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 8, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

Like I said, it was a while ago, way early access, and I remember having to get a bunch of different items for labs to run which meant putting conveyors to circle them so that when they were ready to take something off of a conveyor it was there was an item available, and it might be one of a couple of different items, so you had to have both of them available.

I could have had the game explained to me badly, though, this was before there was any effective tutorial. Or my friends who insisted I play co-op with them just made me skip it; like I said, it was years ago.

There 's a trick in factorio where you use a splitter and circle stuff back on itself to align product on one side of the conveyor...it's really some early level stuff you gotta learn, but it can be worked around through more careful placement of grabbers...just not as efficiently.

More complex versions, but you can just loop a conveyor onto a straight piece and it'll feed all to one side of the conveyor it hops onto, no splitters needed.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

edit2: Thanks for the replies - it definitely sounds like this is worth trying out. Also, that I should re-check out Factorio as either I learned it very badly or they've made huge strides in making it easier

There's also a lot more tutorializing available today than there was back then, so definitely check out a new vanilla run and try to work on avoiding the sushi belt. :)

I'm super jazzed to start playing with pipes and poo poo... Once I'm done work. :(

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LifeSunDeath posted:

There 's a trick in factorio where you use a splitter and circle stuff back on itself to align product on one side of the conveyor...it's really some early level stuff you gotta learn, but it can be worked around through more careful placement of grabbers...just not as efficiently.

More complex versions, but you can just loop a conveyor onto a straight piece and it'll feed all to one side of the conveyor it hops onto, no splitters needed.

Just gonna say it: Both of these are kludge fixes for doing something very wrong, and neither is ever once necessary in factorio. Both you and skeleton warrior seem like there was a missed core mechanic along the way. I know its incredibly frustrating as a player and also sympathetically frustrating for observers because to us its so easy to not have been frustrated in the first place.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I guess you're talking about "sushi belt" layouts, but even those work best when a single item type is on one lane of the belt.

Satisfactory drops that complexity completely, though, as there's only one lane on a belt.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

ymgve posted:

I guess you're talking about "sushi belt" layouts, but even those work best when a single item type is on one lane of the belt.

Satisfactory drops that complexity completely, though, as there's only one lane on a belt.

But it adds it back because the ratio calculations can get pretty complicated.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

skeleton warrior posted:

A single belt for labs like this is possible with circuitry, it's called a sushi belt. Just feeding items at will onto a belt generally won't work out if your mixing in many items.

There are other approaches, with undergrounds and long inserters, that don't require the sushi approach and are much easier to figure out.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
No?

The correct ratio for all production is X:X-1

There is no such thing as oversaturation or overproduction, just spares.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Just gonna say it: Both of these are kludge fixes for doing something very wrong, and neither is ever once necessary in factorio. Both you and skeleton warrior seem like there was a missed core mechanic along the way. I know its incredibly frustrating as a player and also sympathetically frustrating for observers because to us its so easy to not have been frustrated in the first place.

drat, you're making me regret playing the game with my feeble strategies...Sorry I offended you with my scrappy can do attitude and janky fixes for a game that allows said fixes...I'm so sorry, forgive me my lord.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

drat, you're making me regret playing the game with my feeble strategies...Sorry I offended you with my scrappy can do attitude and janky fixes for a game that allows said fixes...I'm so sorry, forgive me my lord.

No need to get butt hurt. To be fair, back two years ago in Factorio dev time is like, 5 years for anything else. Their Factorio Friday facts blog goes into such excruciating detail and shows what level of thought they put into even the tiniest of decisions. I'd give it another swing, going at the intro campaign again. If you want to really dive deep, look up the concept of a "main bus". Or wait until it's official release date in August this year.

Until then, sip some more coffee in Satisfactory. :)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Mayveena posted:

Hopefully someone can help me with this before we get inundated :)

Why won't my oil flow through the pipes?

Use Imgur instead of that, something weird happened when I clicked the image.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So I found a bug. Don't equip your xeno zapper before you exit the pod since afterwards you apparently can't follow the tutorial prompts and scan for resources using V. :v:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Fluid can climb 15m from most production buildings, and can have a maximum climb of 20m. If you put two pumps directly next to each other, for example, 20m + 20m = 20m

Ideally put them 19.9m away from each other vertically, with no limit on horizontal travel. More realistically, find where the fluid stops/can't reach and put a pump just before there to get it going again

Downhill sections do not add appreciable climb

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If I start something up high, then send it down, then send it back up more than 20m but it is still lower than the original point, do you still need a pump?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
How's multiplayer working for you guys?

I've got it on Epic, my friend bought it on steam and was hosting the game. We're only ever in sync as players for maybe the first minute or so; beyond that and we'll see each other run off, never to return. Wildlife is fine for him as the host, but is either invisible and able to murder me or will stand in place and let me zap it to death with my stick.

Building stuff seems to work out okay thankfully. Other than a weird bug where I can't build stackable conveyor poles on top of each other nine times out of ten, buildings and even construction ghosts work for both of us.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

If I start something up high, then send it down, then send it back up more than 20m but it is still lower than the original point, do you still need a pump?

You don't.
Right now you can even game it like this: Have a single pump up high and let that liquid flow down from there to your huge pipe network. That whole network is now pressurized to the level of that one pump high up.
(But it's been reported to the bugtracker, so that might change)

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Bedurndurn posted:

I've got it on Epic, my friend bought it on steam and was hosting the game. We're only ever in sync as players for maybe the first minute or so; beyond that and we'll see each other run off, never to return. Wildlife is fine for him as the host, but is either invisible and able to murder me or will stand in place and let me zap it to death with my stick.

Building stuff seems to work out okay thankfully. Other than a weird bug where I can't build stackable conveyor poles on top of each other nine times out of ten, buildings and even construction ghosts work for both of us.

They're working on a big multiplayer overhaul as a part of dedicated servers because of all these problems. Those aren't really crossplay issues, just normal multiplayer glitching.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Bedurndurn posted:

I was in a 3-person game last night and we had some de-syncs with personal positioning but nothing wrong with buildings or placements in that regard. We dropped the game and restarted it and it seemed to fix the de-syncs for a while. Beacons are incredibly helpful for placement / location when you cannot see each other since those were still synchronized. Find a slug, drop a beacon, someone runs over and gets the enemy agro and runs away we think and then we wait until the game decides who is being attacked for the other person to pick up the slug, since you cannot see enemies or friendlies.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Pumps: At the base of your incline or the top?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

At whatever height the fluid currently reaches. This probably won't be obvious unless you split the inclined pipe into several sections or work it out as 20m above the previous pump/~15 metres above the building producing it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The first pump should be at most 10m higher than the source, and, after that, every 20m of elevation change.

Punps don't make pressure, they fix head lift.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

The first pump should be at most 10m higher than the source, and, after that, every 20m of elevation change.

Punps don't make pressure, they fix head lift.

This always bothered me, what even is the scale in satisfactory? Maybe my dude is really small, is a cargo container 4 meters tall? or less? I just placed pumps randomly on inclines, then later redid everything so things were ground level and I didn't need pumps.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Reposting this:

LifeSunDeath posted:

This always bothered me, what even is the scale in satisfactory? Maybe my dude is really small, is a cargo container 4 meters tall? or less? I just placed pumps randomly on inclines, then later redid everything so things were ground level and I didn't need pumps.

The foundations have measurements: They are 8x8 meters base, and come in 1, 2 and 4 meter heights.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

nielsm posted:

Reposting this:

The foundations have measurements: They are 8x8 meters base, and come in 1, 2 and 4 meter heights.

OH! Thanks.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Just got this when it released on Steam. Some experimentation showed I could stack constructors on top of each other using walls and foundations. The closest together I can get them vertically is 3 wall heights apart. Is that right?

Fun fact, once you build the foundation, you don't need the wall to support it anymore and can have a floating factory in the sky. Of course, getting up there is now a problem.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I just got an oil extractor and refinery running. I have four coal plants and 3 water extractors but I need more power. Should I expand the coal plant factory or use the oil in some way? Thanks for any help, you folks have been great!!!!!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

LLSix posted:

Just got this when it released on Steam. Some experimentation showed I could stack constructors on top of each other using walls and foundations. The closest together I can get them vertically is 3 wall heights apart. Is that right?

Fun fact, once you build the foundation, you don't need the wall to support it anymore and can have a floating factory in the sky. Of course, getting up there is now a problem.

Keeping the walls there should in theory help with framerate issues, as it allows the graphic engine to not render your factory when you're on the outside. Though in practice I wonder how much impact it has, since there are tiny seams between foundation and wall pieces.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

LLSix posted:

Build enough vertical boosted hyper tubes and vertical transportation is no longer difficult. Rather, you need to be worried about exceeding the max height and dying.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

nielsm posted:

Reposting this:

Oh.... Uh, I'm gonna have to redo some stuff then. Did not realize that pipes die over horizontal distances.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mayveena posted:

I just got an oil extractor and refinery running. I have four coal plants and 3 water extractors but I need more power. Should I expand the coal plant factory or use the oil in some way? Thanks for any help, you folks have been great!!!!!

Make plastic/rubber from the oil, and turn the heavy oil residue into petroleum coke. Then burn the petroleum coke in coal power plants. (Make sure you set up an overflow smart splitter to send excess coke and excess plastic/rubber to the shredder, so you don't risk either line blocking up the other: Don't lose power generation because plastic backed up, and don't lose plastic because coke backed up.)

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Oh.... Uh, I'm gonna have to redo some stuff then. Did not realize that pipes die over horizontal distances.

I'm not sure it's true that pipes lose pressure alone horizontal sections.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LLSix posted:

If you're not trying to relive Starsiege: Tribes, what are you even doing?