Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Nothing related to the story is present at the moment, though (Apart from some collectible items that don't have a purpose yet). There is no fixed end goal apart from unlocking all tech trees and growing your factory, it is very much a "make your own fun" game at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Ciaphas posted:

So what do we all think of XBox Game Pass for PC anyway, opening deal aside, now that the honeymoon period is over? Seem like a service worth keeping, instead of buying on Steam all the time?

If I had infinite spare time? Yes....

As it stands I think I might jump in and out for a month if something big comes along that won't be getting a discount for a while. I have a big enough backlog that I certainly don't need this service right now but I think it's really good value for what it is and leagues better than any other offering that Nintendo/Sony/MS have ever had before.
This hopefully sets a new standard for these sorts of services, however the app and general installation experience etc. on Windows leaves a lot to be desired.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Anonymous Robot posted:

What is the current state of this game? It seems really cool, but I sort of feel that I would benefit from the guidance offered by a story mode initially. Being set free into a massive complicated crafting scheme is intimidating to me.

I've put over 100 hours into it in the past few weeks on the EGS, and it's real, real good. As someone else stated, the complexity ramps up slowly as you unlock things, so you never feel too overwhelmed.

I'd compare it to Factorio combined with Subnautica in how it plays. In fact I like it better than Factorio because of one big element - the 3rd dimension changes everything. In Factorio, I'd get frustrated as I got to the higher complexity levels, as I start running out of space and I'd have to completely redesign my factory to make it decently efficient, which was a huge pain. In Satisfactory... You can just build up. Or just abandon that base and make a new one, letting the old one continue to produce goods (as ore veins never run dry).

Sure, it would benefit from a story, and they are planning on putting in one eventually, but as it is now, it's a fully-fleshed out, enjoyable game, even in early access. If you like crafting/building/automation games you really should play it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

cage-free egghead posted:

There's 4 "worlds" with levels in between. Each level takes a few minutes to do depending on how much time you're taking on looking for every collectible and/or weapon. Each world has a boss at the end. Steam says I've got 6 hours in and I've made it to the 2nd boss twice. It's difficult and unforgiving and much like other popular roguelikes if you get bad rolls with your stage rewards or weapons, it can make or break a run. There is stat progression outside of each run so any of the currency you've accumulated in a run gets put towards bettering your stats like shield %, ammo capacity, inscription chance on weapons (which I think are like Diablo's affixes), etc.

I'm really enjoying it so far, like a lot more than I thought I would have. It's addicting and the gunplay is really well done for an indie studio. The levels aren't all that inspiring and there's only 2 classes right now but again, it's early access.

The gameplay loop is pretty great and more people should play this.

Alright, that does seem pretty sweet, specially at that price. Might as well bite in. Have they published a development roadmap anywhere?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

If I previously played Forza 4 on Gamepass, let the subscription lapse, and buy it, does my save carry over?

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I don't really know what people are talking about with Gamepass being a terrible service or whatever, I generally don't use mods so maybe that's why. You click game, you click install, you click play and the game plays. It just works!

It worked, until it decided that when I press the uninstall button on Bloodstained, it should remove the game from the list but then not actually uninstall the game (disk space still used). And because the game is in a folder you are not allowed to touch in any way at all, there was no way for me to manually delete it either so it's permanently lost disk space. The problem was solved by re-downloading and deleting again, but that's stupid.

I'm not even sure why it needs this folder locking in the first place, nobody asked for it and it's bad for customers. Microsoft itself is fine with being on Steam with none of these dumb restrictions, and the competing subscription services (Origin Access and Uplay+) don't do anything like this either.

Microsoft's store is absolute rear end and when GP goes up to $10/month it's only going to be good to finish a $60 campaign in a month for $10.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
General question about Gamenite/Gog Galaxy recent behavior. I tried galaxy a while ago, and was pleased with it, yet disappointed that it kept losing connections to all the services. Really annoying to have to constantly re-login to steam/epic/uplay etc, every couple days, or on reboot, so i stopped using it. Does gamenite have this same problem, or has galaxy fixed this?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I can't recall if someone already started doing a roundup of interesting picks from the massive itchio bundle but I've added a few games to my library since this morning and would like to point some choices:

(Linking towards either Steam pages or some curator/reviewer site because I'm very bad at explaining things)

Overland - a survival, squad-based games set in a road trip through a post apoc USA, from the Night in the Woods devs(which is also in the bundle)

Fortune-499 - A deck building jrpg where you play as a fortune teller working for a massive corporation

Sagebrush - A short, very atmospheric horror/investigation game about the collective suicide of a cult

Gunhouse - A colorful arcade game that mixes puzzles and tower defense

I have low stats but my class is "Leader" so I recruited everyone I know to fight the Dark Lord - a ridiculous overcomplicated game where a very weak character recruits another 99 people to her party

Us, Lovely Corpses - No steam page for this one. A good cup of depresso in this short, horror VN.

Beacon - I'm not sure what this genre is called but this is very similar to Synthetik, isometric arcade game with loads of guns.

Astrologaster - I'm pretty sure this was talked about quite a bit in this thread not long ago? An adventure game where you treat patients based on astrology.

Double Cross - Charming hybrid of platforming and detective work.

Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2 - Its...CSD 2. Yea.

Quadrilateral Cowboy - A first person adventure game with hacking and heisting.

Death & Taxes - Play as the Grim Reaper in an office job deciding whether people live or die. Somewhat similar to Papers, Please but much shorter and more humorous.

Glittermitten Grove - Frog Fractions 2

OneShot - Haven't actually played this one but its supposedly one of those meta games that play around with the concept of being played.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My patience for computer janitoring is at a very low ebb, enough so to not bother with the trial with Game Pass. Having three small SSDs means I have to gently caress around with library management all the time, and it sounds like Game Pass hates that. Too bad!

That said I'm still probably gonna pick up River City Girls after work - just on Steam instead :v: - unless someone else recommends some other re-introduction to the genre as a whole. Had folks recommend looking for Streets of Rage Remake as well as SoR4; but I won't lie both of those looked a little... slow-moving? where RCG seems more my speed.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

That said I'm still probably gonna pick up River City Girls after work - just on Steam instead :v: - unless someone else recommends some other re-introduction to the genre as a whole.

Don't. I have it on Switch, and it's ok for a while, but then the grinding gets annoying, and the bosses are just anti-fun. There's one in particular (Hibari) that made me give up altogether. Great music though.

I'd actually recommend River City Ransom: Underground over it. Sure, it has its share of problems too, but it feels more true to the original game in many ways. (I would recommend the Scott Pilgrim game, but, well, it's impossible to actually purchase it anymore.)

Honestly, though, the best spiritual successor to the RCR games is the Yakuza series.

Ciaphas posted:

Had folks recommend looking for Streets of Rage Remake as well as SoR4; but I won't lie both of those looked a little... slow-moving? where RCG seems more my speed.

SOR4 is good, but very, VERY true to the original beat 'em up formula, to the point of there being very little progression. It's a game you play once for a few hours, beat, and then are pretty much done with it. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does feel like they could have modernized it a bit more without taking away from it.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 8, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ciaphas posted:

My patience for computer janitoring is at a very low ebb, enough so to not bother with the trial with Game Pass. Having three small SSDs means I have to gently caress around with library management all the time, and it sounds like Game Pass hates that. Too bad!

That said I'm still probably gonna pick up River City Girls after work - just on Steam instead :v: - unless someone else recommends some other re-introduction to the genre as a whole. Had folks recommend looking for Streets of Rage Remake as well as SoR4; but I won't lie both of those looked a little... slow-moving? where RCG seems more my speed.

The XGP app is certainly barebones and pretty terrible for anything of the sort, but it does install games and load it for the most part. If you can use Epic, you can use XGP. Both are equivalently terribly with same barebonesness, none worse than the other, but both bad.

But it's also $1 for a month subscription and absolutely worth it because there are many once-n-done games you can bang out and just uninstall when it runs out. So you should do it.. SoR4, Alan Wake, Yakuza 0/Kiwami, A Plagues Tale (really loving good and short!), ALien Isolation, Bloodstained (symphony of the night remake), CrossCode, Dead Cells, Dishonored 2, Frostpunk, Hellblade, Metro 2033/Last Light/Exodus, Shadow of War, My Friend Pedro, Ori and the Will of the Wisps (very nice), RAGE 2, Slay The Spire, Steamworld Dig 2, Subnatuica, SUPERHOT, The Long Dark, The Surge 2, Talos Principle, Void Bastardss, Wargroove, Wolfenstein: Young Blood.

That's just to name some of the more standout/newest titles and for $1 that's really good. Many of those you could bang out in a month if you stick to the short-n-sweet experiences like A Plagues Tale, Ori, Surge 2, etc.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Xaris posted:

The XGP app is certainly barebones and pretty terrible for anything of the sort, but it does install games and load it for the most part. If you can use Epic, you can use XGP. Both are equivalently terribly with same barebonesness, none worse than the other, but both bad.

I tried Ori (controller kept connecting and disconnecting, didn't register inputs properly and for some reason X+LT swapped between full and windowed mode), Frostpunk (in game cursor didn't work, only the Windows one, deleted my saves or didn't save properly), Metro (horrible slowdowns) and State of Decay 2 (which worked pretty well), so sometimes the app does makes the games unplayable. On the other hand I think I'm the only person who has complained on the forums of these kind of problems, so GamePass is probably still a good bet.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Another reminder that command and conquer remastered is good poo poo. Almost had a tear in my eye watching the Installation setup. I'm having fun seeing the first takes of cutscenes I grew up watching, can't wait to unlock everything.

My only complaint is that the AI is mostly unchanged in skirmish and cannot function if they cannot find any tiberium/ore, and regrowth of resources in skirmish is not as fast as you'd like it to be.

When people start figuring it out through modding, I hope to use them in a comp stomp with a friend soon, as you cannot use mods in multiplayer at this time.

Every single song that Frank Klepacki did in the originals, remastered, and performed with the Tiberian Sons are all loving excellent. My only complaint is that all the C&C Retaliation music is clearly from the best multiplayer game ever made, C&C: Soul Survivor.

The contrast from original to remastered (by hitting space bar) is unreal. It's like Secret of Monkey Island Remaster levels of detail.

It's absolutely worth the 20 bux.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 8, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Fat Samurai posted:

I tried Ori (controller kept connecting and disconnecting, didn't register inputs properly and for some reason X+LT swapped between full and windowed mode), Frostpunk (in game cursor didn't work, only the Windows one, deleted my saves or didn't save properly), Metro (horrible slowdowns) and State of Decay 2 (which worked pretty well), so sometimes the app does makes the games unplayable. On the other hand I think I'm the only person who has complained on the forums of these kind of problems, so GamePass is probably still a good bet.
i did have major controller issues (DS4) with Ori and Will of the Wisps. I forgot how i fixed it but like yeah keys werent registering or swapped and some poo poo. I did get it fixed though. I didn't have problems with Bloodstained or other things I've played at least.

e: here's how I fixed Ori at least (wired DS4)

quote:

So uh I'm playing Ori and Will o Wisps on XBGP and the controller buttons are totally hosed up with my DS4. Tried it both wired without DS4windows and bluetooth over DS4windows (with Hide DS4 on and off). Like "X" (or A") ends up being the "back" and everything is just wrong and not mapped and driving me crazy. Anyone else experience this? I can't seem to rebind them either.

e: so just "Hide DS4" alone wasn't enough to fix it. I had to go into the controller profile settings and make sure DirectInput was off and tell it "Xbox 360" controller. Steam may suck but they're light years ahead of the competition with actual nice things like native controller support and what not. I really hate how anytime I try to use a DS4 with non-Steam it ends up being a rube goldberg solution to get it to work and always finnicky as hell. At least it's working now.

Ehh well it's been working fine except whenever I hit "RT" to supposedly pull/push objects, it brings up the Ability Wheel (LT) so I have to use the keyboard. What the gently caress

e x2 : If anyone else has an issue: i restarted, closed out everything, went into Steam settings and unchecked every controller option, exited steam, removed any saved controllers, turned off bluetooth, ran DS4windows in admin mode, deleted my old Default profile and created a new one, and now it's working while connected over USB and RT is properly functioning. At least it's working for now.
I think in this case, it was some wombo combo of Steam trying to insert it's controller powers along wtih DS4Windows creating some problems with it.

But uh yeah it's certainly not great but for a buck it's worth a month to play out some stuff, especially short games like A Plagues Tale or Bloodstained is fantastic value

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 8, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Surprise to see the negative opinions of the Xbox app. I think it's the best game launcher besides Steam. It isn't the quickest but it's very covienient and I've had no problems with stability.

Gamepass is good but the issue is that besides Microsoft games and surprise additions like SoR4, if there is a quality game on there that interests you, chances are you already own it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Think I'll save all that for when I have a list of games I want to play long enough to warrant it, all told - right now I'd barely get a week of useful Game Pass let alone a month from games I don't already have. I'll hold onto that megalixir of a $1 deal a little longer :v:

Right now I'm still addicted to roguelikes - still on my Enter the Gungeon poo poo, but add on Monster Train and Void Bastards now too (UnderMine was good-to-great but got a little repetitive. Looking forward to seeing 1.0 tho)

Speaking of Void Bastards it's getting a lot more interesting past depth 3 or 4 or so, but man I wish gamepads were more usable. Can't really KBM on a recliner in front of the TV, but you have to make quick headshots on the move at times :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 8, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ciaphas posted:

Think I'll save all that for when I have a list of games I want to play long enough to warrant it, all told - right now I'd barely get a week of useful Game Pass let alone a month from games I don't already have. I'll hold onto that megalixir of a $1 deal a little longer :v:

Right now I'm still addicted to roguelikes - still on my Enter the Gungeon poo poo, but add on Monster Train and Void Bastards now too (UnderMine was good-to-great but got a little repetitive. Looking forward to seeing 1.0 tho)

iirc the $1 deal comes and goes, so I wouldn't wait too long if there's even a few games you want to play.

UnderMine was great yeah, I havent played the lastest update but likewise im gunna shelve it for 1.0. I did the first OtherMine thing and called it good there.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Gamepass also has Dead Cells the "quintessential" rouge-like (lite?).

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Don't. I have it on Switch, and it's ok for a while, but then the grinding gets annoying, and the bosses are just anti-fun. There's one in particular (Hibari) that made me give up altogether. Great music though.

The bosses are great. Very challenging and each have a unique spin. With Hibari you just have to memorize her moveset. It seems tough but she always does the same patterns. You don't have to grind at all as long as you don't keep dying and spend money when you pass by shops.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 8, 2020

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

My problem with Gamepass is that you have zero control over the installed files, not to mention it doesn't uninstall poo poo correctly and it's a pain in the rear end trying the delete the data because Microsoft likes to encrypt and hide everything related to Gamepass and Windows Store.

The only reason I put up with Windows Store is to play Forza games on my PC. Otherwise I'd rank it as the worst game storefront.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
My problem is it decided I wasn't allowed to log in and use the service I paid for, so gently caress it. Never had that problem with Steam or GOG.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fat Samurai posted:

It keeps deleting my saves and redownloading entire games for no reason. It's still a great value but it's been buggy as poo poo for me

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ZearothK posted:

Alright, that does seem pretty sweet, specially at that price. Might as well bite in. Have they published a development roadmap anywhere?

Not sure. At $12 even if it goes the way that Cube World did years ago I still think it's worth it.

J
Jun 10, 2001

ymgve posted:

Nothing related to the story is present at the moment, though (Apart from some collectible items that don't have a purpose yet). There is no fixed end goal apart from unlocking all tech trees and growing your factory, it is very much a "make your own fun" game at the moment.

So no "big thing" to make like the rocket in factorio, where you can then optimize how quickly you can make the big thing after making the first one?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

cage-free egghead posted:

Not sure. At $12 even if it goes the way that Cube World did years ago I still think it's worth it.

Have they course corrected on Cube World at all? I don't think I would get it in either case but I'm curious because a lot of goons seemed dissapointed after such a long period of radio silence.

Fakeedit: Oh it looks like they went back to radio silence.

Wow that Steam forum is a total trashfire

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 8, 2020

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Hub Cat posted:

Have they course corrected on Cube World at all? I'm just curious because a lot of goons seemed dissapointed after such a long period of radio silence.

I did see within the last year or two that Wolly whatever their name is had updates to it, and it's on Steam. I got it back in like 2014 and just lost hope. Still had a lot of fun with that for $20.

Apparently the Steam one isn't doing too hot and many people just recommend the alpha lol

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

J posted:

So no "big thing" to make like the rocket in factorio, where you can then optimize how quickly you can make the big thing after making the first one?
There's a phased big thing that controls overall tech level/research progression. It's incomplete for now.

In the mean time there's a garbage can that gives you points and you can feed it more complicated items for more points and the current endless meta is how high can you make the points per second go.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My biggest problem with Satisfactory is that everything is huge and in first person it sometimes makes it hard to know how to lay things out. This is especially annoying later on when you inevitably end up reworking your entire factory, unless you build one of those big tower things to look down from above (which is honestly kind of a crappy solution IMO) you end up placing things, then realizing it's 1 square away from where you actually wanted it, tearing it down and placing it again. I wish there was some kind of drone you could get that would just let you see the factory from a bird's eye perspective without needing to build the tower.

All that said, I still did spend a bunch of time playing it and will come back to it but probably not until it "releases" at this point. I do wish I had it on Steam and not EGS now though :(

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exquisite tea posted:

I don't really know what people are talking about with Gamepass being a terrible service or whatever, I generally don't use mods so maybe that's why. You click game, you click install, you click play and the game plays. It just works!

It's been a terrible piece of poo poo for me, significantly worse than epic. But it's a decent way to demo new games.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

explosivo posted:

My biggest problem with Satisfactory is that everything is huge and in first person it sometimes makes it hard to know how to lay things out. This is especially annoying later on when you inevitably end up reworking your entire factory, unless you build one of those big tower things to look down from above (which is honestly kind of a crappy solution IMO) you end up placing things, then realizing it's 1 square away from where you actually wanted it, tearing it down and placing it again. I wish there was some kind of drone you could get that would just let you see the factory from a bird's eye perspective without needing to build the tower.

That's true, and that'd be a really cool thing for them to add later as an unlockable upgrade. The jetpack really helps things, but it still isn't perfect. Still, I really prefer the 3d buildable space to Factorio, and it gives a great feeling of satisfaction (heh) when you can look at everything you've built over the vast landscape.

Oh, the other thing I really wish they would do is make the train unlock much sooner. By the time you get it you've likely already set up truck routes for all the far away resources you need and you have to actively look for reasons to use it. (Also it's really buggy and confusing to use at the moment compared to trucks.)

explosivo posted:

All that said, I still did spend a bunch of time playing it and will come back to it but probably not until it "releases" at this point. I do wish I had it on Steam and not EGS now though :(

Same. I'm almost to nuclear power, and I think once I unlock that I'll take a break from the game and rebuy it on Steam when it's finished.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hub Cat posted:

Have they course corrected on Cube World at all? I don't think I would get it in either case but I'm curious because a lot of goons seemed dissapointed after such a long period of radio silence.

Wow that Steam forum is a total trashfire

So to be fair to Steam forums (didn't think I'd ever say that) the Cube World that appeared on Steam is basically terrible in every way. They changed pretty much everything about how the game works and made some genuinely baffling design decisions. I believe there is a mod(s) that fixes a lot of these things but I haven't really tried it.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

explosivo posted:

I wish there was some kind of drone you could get that would just let you see the factory from a bird's eye perspective without needing to build the tower.

I was thinking this same exact thing, not that I own the game. Building in first-person on that scale is tough. Minecraft did train me a bit though.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2X3wlvoShg

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

someone should make a thread for that itch.io bundle where people can highlight and recommend games from it. not that having 700 games I'll never play is that much of a change of pace for me

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Probably not the kind of thing worth getting your hopes up about *too* much, but hey there’s a chance.

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1270097883954507776?s=20

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Finally - the PC release of Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Catherine Full Body release?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DemiKids

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Seriously, Atlus games on Steam would be like Dark Souls level of success in terms of ports. Their games mesh so well with the userbase.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

Catherine Full Body release?

This is the most likely one I think. The other possibility is maybe, MAYBE SMT5, which people would loving love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
PC Users: Atlus, can we play persona?

Atlus: We already have persona at home.

Persona at home: https://store.steampowered.com/app/715910/Persona_5_Costume_DLC/