Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
https://twitter.com/TuppenceGallery/status/1270010161327996929

Yikes on this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Terrible Opinions posted:

Oh really? I thought the gatherer number was somehow related to the larger collector number lists from back in the scry magazine days or the like. My bad then.

Sets prior to Exodus didn't have collectors numbers.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

It's not a collector number visible anywhere on the card though, it's the unique ID from when all the cards were digitized years later for a searchable database. I don't know whether something like that number existed in internal records before Gatherer was created, but it's not something that would have been accessible from the outside.

Starting with multiverseid=1 and working up, it seems that the IDs are arranged by color and then alphabetically. I don't have the patience to go through all 1487 of the preceding numbers but I assume they follow that pattern. It's possible that someone could have done some tricky manipulation to fit that card into that position, but if they did then the break in the pattern should be discoverable.

I think it naturally follows the pattern. It seems to be sets from oldest to newest, and then internally in sets it follows the collector number (which is organized by colour, then alphabetically). The cards before and after are the white cards in the same set that do slot before and after it alphabetically. It's a really awkward coincidence. It could be adjusted, but it would require breaking a LOT of card numbers (rearranging which set is where, basically).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Had they started issuing collector's numbers when the set including Invoke Prejudice was issued?

It would then only have taken someone to figure out the numbers and make IP card XX of that set, then assigned it to the Hitler artist.

It doesn't need to be a conspiracy arcing over 1400 cards, just a bad actor influencing the last few.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

moths posted:

Had they started issuing collector's numbers when the set including Invoke Prejudice was issued?

It would then only have taken someone to figure out the numbers and make IP card XX of that set, then assigned it to the Hitler artist.

It doesn't need to be a conspiracy arcing over 1400 cards, just a bad actor influencing the last few.

no, they didn't

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
The card Invoke Prejudice was printed in 1994 in the set Legends. Collector's numbers were added to cards with Exodus in 1998. The card with the ID 8814 was released in Urza's Legacy in 1999. The gatherer database that exposed this number was released to the public in 2004.

I can't say with 100% certainty that it's an unfortunate coincidence but that's what it looks like to me. I can't rule out the possibility that they were keeping track of this number before 2004 and that someone finagled the ordering so that the artist was assigned this card. I'm not willing to crunch the numbers to disprove that or cast it into doubt though.

And regardless of how that card ended up with that ID, none of this should detract from the broader point of that piece about WotC's hiring practices and company culture being poo poo.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
WotC does enough lovely stuff that we don’t need to dive into database numerology

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 22, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The context of a card being white or black also tends to make it look racist if you give it the Hitler code.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.adam-koebel.com/blog/2020/5/18/moving-on

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

:byewhore:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

He's very sad about how mean you've all been

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
You'll never guess who the real victim is!

quote:

My mistake started an avalanche of cascading collapse, fuelled by the most aggressive cruelty I’ve ever experienced.
:qq:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

He couldn't gently caress off quietly, oh no. Had to get that last dose of shithead pity.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

FMguru posted:

You'll never guess who the real victim is!

He really does go on forever about how hard this was for him, and only glances over how uncomfortable he might've made other people. The former gets several large paragraphs while the latter gets about 1 little one.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 8, 2020

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Related https://medium.com/@itmeJP/all-adventures-come-to-an-end-f4016198e586

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
still calling it just an innocent mistake, huh

e: the "creative risk" of subjecting someone's character to sexual assault for literally no reason, huh, that's the creative risk you're so sad about not being able to exercise

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ahahaha

quote:

Maybe most importantly, I feel compelled to thank John ‘TotalBiscuit’ Bain — who once told me to “get off my rear end and make some content.” He’s the reason RollPlay started in the first place and I will never be able to repay the kindness he showed me once upon a time.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

This is some bullshit considering that the incident in question involved him blindsiding a player completely

adam koebel posted:

In roleplaying, players work together to create an improvised narrative and I was doing so in a highly public venue. 

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Did he ever actually acknowledge his mistake, of having planned that sexual assault scene in a gross distortion of what a player had asked for? Or did he always fall back in the vague defenses of "mistakes were made" or "it was a spur-of-the-moment thing"? Because if it was the latter (likely) then he's still never taken the first step of apologizing. That's why people are ostracizing him, because he couldn't even get that far!

And now as noted above he grants one wishy-washy paragraph to what he did and a whole page or more to bemoaning his fate. Good riddance.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

This was the closest he got

adam koebel posted:

I’m so sorry that I hurt the cast, and to anyone in the audience who felt hurt, this apology is for you, too

https://textuploader.com/1410b

moths
Aug 25, 2004

How many goddamn hours of footage did he review to find this, the saddest downward-facing dork pose?

E: To be clear, I'm not making fun of his looks. It's incredible that he left this contrived image to sell "no guys look how sad I am" at the end of his post.

moths fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 8, 2020

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's kind of ridiculous that in his original "an apology" post he's pretty clear about realising he's not a safe GM to play with, then 2 months later he's mad that he couldn't just keep on getting paid to stream for Roll20

What exactly has he done in that time to earn back anyone's trust

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 22, 2020

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is it the date published or the date he started the draft. He may have known he was done for a while and just been writing it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

NGDBSS posted:

Did he ever actually acknowledge his mistake, of having planned that sexual assault scene in a gross distortion of what a player had asked for? Or did he always fall back in the vague defenses of "mistakes were made" or "it was a spur-of-the-moment thing"? Because if it was the latter (likely) then he's still never taken the first step of apologizing. That's why people are ostracizing him, because he couldn't even get that far!

And now as noted above he grants one wishy-washy paragraph to what he did and a whole page or more to bemoaning his fate. Good riddance.

He did. But it was always couched in between a bunch of stuff about how he should have had more safety tools and what not. Which seemed like him trying to soften his fall and the blame of his gently caress up.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

quote:

When Far Verona was cancelled, the online RPG community responded directly and intensely. Much of that response was reasonable — people were upset at what felt like a surprising and out-of-character action for me. Many people saw the mistake for what it was, and were angry, but tempered that anger with understanding that people stumble, sometimes. Some, however, believe otherwise. I continue to be the recipient of hate, vitriol and targeted abuse both in public and in private spaces. I’m being emailed anonymous threats of harm if I ever return to broadcasting or attend a convention, messages telling me I shouldn’t exist at all let alone be allowed to “come back” — voices shouting that nothing I had previously said or done or made mattered in the face of my mistake.
I love how he tells people the correct way to act and feel.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What is so hard about just apologising and doing something to help? It's been 2 months, right, how can you not at least think something up to help out?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

What is so hard about just apologising and doing something to help? It's been 2 months, right, how can you not at least think something up to help out?

He hosed up, and broke the trust of his players, by doing something incredibly creepy and rapey.

Tbf there's not like much he can do. Other than just say, "I hosed up". And he seemingly can't even do that without trying to soften his landing with his language at every single step.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sometimes you do something so heinous that you need to stop having a public profile, or at least stop practicing in the profession you did it in. I'm sure many of us have had annoying GMs, frustrating GMs, incompetent GMs... how many of us have had GMs who did something so horrible that the entire group of players quit and cut ties with them? I don't think he's accepted or acknowledged that even the best-case scenario for him wouldn't have involved continuing in this industry, and unfortunately he's had way too many enablers.

Like, did he pay no attention during the game itself? The player had told him to his face that they weren't comfortable and the big brain response to this is apparently "do the exact opposite of what makes people comfortable". Like... how do you do that?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Josef bugman posted:

Like, did he pay no attention during the game itself? The player had told him to his face that they weren't comfortable and the big brain response to this is apparently "do the exact opposite of what makes people comfortable". Like... how do you do that?
I have actually noticed this in a few people, this sort of, overshoot thing; it is one thing to misread a signal and get like one cycle past it before you correct course or come up short. That is not good, or excusable necessarily, but it is understandable. This is usually three or four cycles of action past the point where people start throwing up flags.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ah yes, totalbiscuit, who once wished for my death because I asked that a transmisogynistic joke get removed from a video game. a fine person who must be remembered in the best of lights.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

I have actually noticed this in a few people, this sort of, overshoot thing; it is one thing to misread a signal and get like one cycle past it before you correct course or come up short. That is not good, or excusable necessarily, but it is understandable. This is usually three or four cycles of action past the point where people start throwing up flags.

Oh yeah, but you notice, or try to anyway.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just absolutely gross.

This is like going hard on ProJared after the details came out.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

This was literally the advice given in one draft of Beast. Basically you're getting a reaction, so you're GM game is good.

It's like the people who say art is about provoking a reaction so this poop is art because you made a face.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Arivia posted:

ah yes, totalbiscuit, who once wished for my death because I asked that a transmisogynistic joke get removed from a video game. a fine person who must be remembered in the best of lights.

but he died! that means you can never ever say anything bad about him now!!!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Am I supposed to be listening to the 'Lonely Man' theme from The Incredible Hulk TV series while reading this? 'Cause it kinda feels like I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Whole lotta cringe in those replies, jesus christ.