Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I've made that recipe before and it utterly loving slams. Be aware that it does expect you to be using Krispy Kremes so if you're using a less-sweet doughnut you'll have to bump up the sugar in the custard a bit to compensate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Get on the Amiel train we got rare burgs and blue suits for everyone

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sohla’s dropping truth bombs on her instagram story re: rapoport in brown face and BA not fairly compensating BIPOC

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Democratic Pirate posted:

Sohla’s dropping truth bombs on her instagram story re: rapoport in brown face and BA not fairly compensating BIPOC

Link? I'm not seeing this!

e: also I apparently don't really know how to use Instagram

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 8, 2020

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Democratic Pirate posted:

I haven't heard anything about the Rapoport poo poo, do you have a link?

Also just very disappointing.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don’t have a link to the actual picture or anything, just what Sohla has been saying

https://instagram.com/stories/sohlae/2327180786862442493?igshid=10wxjnt0ybskm

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Well gently caress Rapo.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Holy poo poo, gently caress Rapo. I hope Sohla comes out on the better side of this.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone share for people who don't have Instagram?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

drag 'em sohla

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

xtal posted:

Can anyone share for people who don't have Instagram?

Tweet has screenshots from her story:

https://twitter.com/sarahmanavis/status/1270069650060083207

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
https://twitter.com/christinachaey/status/1270055447081431041?s=20

Delaney also posted about it on his IG, but I don't have an account.

edit: I still haven't found the photo in question

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

rapoport dressing "as a puerto rican"

https://twitter.com/tammieetc/status/1269999555480821760

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Found it efb

https://twitter.com/tammieetc/status/1269999555480821760?s=20

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Here's what Delany said.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I feel gross about watching any more BA videos until this poo poo is fixed. I had no idea how bad it was there for BIPOC folks

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

I feel gross about watching any more BA videos until this poo poo is fixed. I had no idea how bad it was there for BIPOC folks
Yeah, same. The fact that some of the people on the channel have basically been forced into being celebrities and they get no compensation for this is extremely fucky. I've unsubscribed for now and am going to ignore their poo poo until there's a good response - Rapo leaving and compensation for all on camera editors being two major things that need to happen.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
hosed up considering I recently discovered/posted here that Sohla left her previous job at Serious Eats and called them out too

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
This is some spicy :siren: FOOD T.V NEWS :siren: The only food t.v i actually watch! Unless gently caress, That's delicious counts. That's more of a fun show to watch that has people eating in it to be honest. Congrats to action for takin his health serious also

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
BA poo poo is gross. Hopefully people get paid real soon.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

How in the hell am I making (a little) more as an associate editor with less experience than Sohla? With her working in Manhattan to boot? That's hosed up. gently caress Conde Nast

I do a little voice over work for my company and have used that to leverage for a raise. I cant imagine being on massively popular videos and seeing nothing from it.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sohla is my favorite too :qq: I hope they get what's rightfully theirs. I saw a Molly insta story post that just says shes disgusted and embarrassed

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This is hosed and if Conde Nast has even half a collective brain they'll fix this poo poo ASAP because it's going to be a lot harder to get away with in June of 2020.

On entirely different type of hosed: I found out that there's a Bon Appetit fan podcast on twitter and good god the state of """fandom""" these days is just unsettling as all hell.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There's literally a BRAVO convention that is just every Bravo star on stage being asked questions by Andy Cohen, like he does...on t.v...where he ask questions to bravo stars but in front of a live audience of like, hundreds of people. (Though to be fair, Bravo tv is some Grade A trash and sometimes ya wanna see that trash catch fire)

Don't ever look into a fandom for any popular media. Get's weird real quick.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Don't ever look into a fandom for any popular media. Get's weird real quick.

Oh believe me I try very hard not to.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
We're all BON HEADS here right? RIGHT!

*stares at camera*

What do we do now Hunzi?!

Senrab
May 10, 2012
Rapoport always wierded me out for some reason and now I know it's not unfounded. But that news about Sohla is just infuriating. She's incredibly talented and I've wanted to see her get her own show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

kidcoelacanth posted:

On entirely different type of hosed: I found out that there's a Bon Appetit fan podcast on twitter and good god the state of """fandom""" these days is just unsettling as all hell.

I know I'm old because the joke construction of the BA YouTube comment section does nothing for me.

ps: Condé Nast, pay Sohla for her videos. :argh:

np19
Dec 25, 2016

Senrab posted:

Rapoport always wierded me out for some reason and now I know it's not unfounded. But that news about Sohla is just infuriating. She's incredibly talented and I've wanted to see her get her own show.

Sohla is a compendium of technique and knowledge. If you asked me what value Rapoport adds to that magazine, I would be hard pressed to think of one thing. The most baller thing to happen would be to make Sohla EIC but that’s probably not gonna happen.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
3 months ago i went on a tirade to everyone i know about how Bon Apetit was racist by forcing the minorities to share bullshit versions of their homeland recipes while white people got to make whatever bullshit they wanted with whatever stupid poo poo sumac ingredients they had and they were racist and everyone looked at me like I was insane.

They Still think I'm crazy!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Given they are all recording from home now they should just flip the table and make their own show without the bad oversight tbh. But some people like Carla don't really seem to get it based on their twitter response.

Molly has a lot of episodes with AR so I was happily surprised she denounced him.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Veskit posted:

3 months ago i went on a tirade to everyone i know about how Bon Apetit was racist by forcing the minorities to share bullshit versions of their homeland recipes while white people got to make whatever bullshit they wanted with whatever stupid poo poo sumac ingredients they had and they were racist and everyone looked at me like I was insane.

They Still think I'm crazy!

Retrospectively this is all totally obvious. Thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/iamnotalexlau/status/1270038290645897219

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

xtal posted:

Given they are all recording from home now they should just flip the table and make their own show without the bad oversight tbh. But some people like Carla don't really seem to get it based on their twitter response.

Molly has a lot of episodes with AR so I was happily surprised she denounced him.

Carla and Molly both have said they're refusing to be in any videos until people are paid. I know Carla's twitter statement is her apologizing for her own actions and not telling about Rapo but for someone who doesn't get it she sure seems to be walking the walk

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

xtal posted:

Retrospectively this is all totally obvious. Thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/iamnotalexlau/status/1270038290645897219

Fine, that's how you want to be?

As a black man in america, there's a gigantic pushback to seeing racist behavior. You get called crazy, nuts, over reactive, and a lot of how could you say this or that. There's no general sense that your gut, your wealth of knowledge of what racism is can be the only thing needed to see the darkness in others. For all of the BIPOCs out there, if you sense that there is racism somewhere trust your gut, and stick with it and find out if justice is possible.

It should have been more obvious to others that a youtube channel in which every white person with a show gets to do whatever the gently caress they want, and the other minorities at best get to demonstrate a disrespectful version of their home meals is probably racist. I should have been more vocal about it. I should have protested the channel sooner. I should have trusted my instincts of how racist america is, especially in the food industry where the faces of white people are put on display while the minorities do the real labor.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Can anyone explain the actual organizational structure of BA? It seems like everyone is an editor of something, so I'm really unclear which people are in actual positions of authority where they are shaping broad content direction.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Whalley posted:

Carla and Molly both have said they're refusing to be in any videos until people are paid. I know Carla's twitter statement is her apologizing for her own actions and not telling about Rapo but for someone who doesn't get it she sure seems to be walking the walk

Oh, good for her. Sorry for my mistake.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

xtal posted:

Oh, good for her. Sorry for my mistake.

Nah, I'm with you on her twitter statement; there, she very much seems to be doing that whole "if I seem Nonconfrontational I will be the Most Serious" thing for sure - it's just that off the platform she seems to be more, idk. Active about this?

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
I feel like some of the community 'favorites' now need to come out about this. I haven't seen anything from Brad yet.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Today has been a day of damning revelations but this takes the cake. How the gently caress are you not paying the POC stars of your channel?? Sohla seems like the most knowledgable at BA and she's getting payed less than Delaney does looming over Claire in every Gourmet Makes episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Veskit posted:

Fine, that's how you want to be?

As a black man in america, there's a gigantic pushback to seeing racist behavior. You get called crazy, nuts, over reactive, and a lot of how could you say this or that. There's no general sense that your gut, your wealth of knowledge of what racism is can be the only thing needed to see the darkness in others. For all of the BIPOCs out there, if you sense that there is racism somewhere trust your gut, and stick with it and find out if justice is possible.

It should have been more obvious to others that a youtube channel in which every white person with a show gets to do whatever the gently caress they want, and the other minorities at best get to demonstrate a disrespectful version of their home meals is probably racist. I should have been more vocal about it. I should have protested the channel sooner. I should have trusted my instincts of how racist america is, especially in the food industry where the faces of white people are put on display while the minorities do the real labor.

honestly you're totally right, I've started to watch BA over the last few months and I've really enjoyed it. The "oh man where are the black people" sensor has gone off a couple times in my head, but because I'm white that noise never really went beyond a low drone. That dull droning was clearly observing the biases that the channel had, not just regarding who is and isn't there, but also who does what out of the people who are there, and I just set it aside because I thought the videos were fun and I picked up some recipes, but clearly that all has a price, and that price is "loving over BIPOC". It sucks and I need to do better.

I hope BA does the right thing and pays all the people who make them so much money, and I hope Rapoport goes away.