Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Trip Report: spent a full day at work for the first time in a while. Plexiglass everywhere, and enough hand sanitizer fumes to give me a buzz.

Still got more work done today than I have in 3 weeks at home with a toddler constantly competing for my attention.

where do you work that they put up plexiglass? you guys must have some budget. we just got the same cheap mask made in trenton as everyone else and told to stay six feet apart or mask up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Snag/servicing here is buried under a deluge of acrylic panes to isolate all the desk folks from each other and the wider contingent of People Who Do Things.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

My Spirit Otter posted:

where do you work that they put up plexiglass? you guys must have some budget. we just got the same cheap mask made in trenton as everyone else and told to stay six feet apart or mask up

Comox. The air maintenance guys apparently do this kind of stuff all the time. They were even making disposable visors for a while before OP LASER really took off.

Funnily enough they're all out of plex now, but I was one of the lucky ones who got a gently caress-off pane of it on my desk and a tiny slot to pass papers through. I don't think I'm allowed to take pictures, but I'd really like to keep it when this thing blows over. :3:

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 3, 2020

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Comox. The air maintenance guys apparently do this kind of stuff all the time. They were even making disposable visors for a while before OP LASER really took off.

Funnily enough they're all out of plex now, but I was one of the lucky ones who got a gently caress-off pane of it on my desk and a tiny slot to pass papers through. I don't think I'm allowed to take pictures, but I'd really like to keep it when this thing blows over. :3:

go to mental health and get a plexiglass chit

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/drone-retrieves-human-remains-pieces-of-navy-helicopter-that-crashed-off-greece-1.4967524

The state of that debris is hosed (pic at the bottom of the story). It's like they hit at 350kt.

I don't recognize which boxes are in the photo, but I'm just a pilot so hardly look at them regularly. In fact I don't recognize anything.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

My Spirit Otter posted:

go to mental health and get a plexiglass chit

No I HAVE to wear sunglasses on parade. Here's my chit.

And here's my chit for my plexiglass fort of solitude in my office. Doctor's orders, sir.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 4, 2020

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

The NYPD total budget is in excess of 5 Billion dollars.

The CAF budget is just over 20 billion dollars.

What the gently caress is the NYPD spending money on?!

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I recently learned a part of it is that their cops will retaliate against councilmembers who vote to cut their budgets by responding to calls more slowly in their districts and telling their constituents to "ask your council member why police response times are so long".

Kind of curious if our cops ever get up to that kind of stuff, but then we're not quite as "tough on crime" to an absurd degree.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hizawk posted:

The NYPD total budget is in excess of 5 Billion dollars.

The CAF budget is just over 20 billion dollars.

What the gently caress is the NYPD spending money on?!

The NYPD has the F35B.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The NYPD has the F35B.

The NYPD has 36,000 officers. That's almost as many as your entire military.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

By "almost as many" you mean "a bit more than half"

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Lassitude posted:

I recently learned a part of it is that their cops will retaliate against councilmembers who vote to cut their budgets by responding to calls more slowly in their districts and telling their constituents to "ask your council member why police response times are so long".

Kind of curious if our cops ever get up to that kind of stuff, but then we're not quite as "tough on crime" to an absurd degree.

They'll Serpico someone for suggesting maybe they shouldn't be vindictive and corrupt. Our cops do it quietly and in less often, maybe because we let ourselves getting away with not being as lovely as the US. CBC had a thing a while back where they realized nobody tracked police killings by race and you'll never guess which races were over and under-represented. Same with arrests over mickey mouse bullshit.

ACAB.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

flakeloaf posted:

By "almost as many" you mean "a bit more than half"

You're right. I was just looking at the Army numbers.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Guest2553 posted:

They'll Serpico someone for suggesting maybe they shouldn't be vindictive and corrupt. Our cops do it quietly and in less often, maybe because we let ourselves getting away with not being as lovely as the US. CBC had a thing a while back where they realized nobody tracked police killings by race and you'll never guess which races were over and under-represented. Same with arrests over mickey mouse bullshit.

ACAB.

Let's not forget about the particular horror of Starlight Tours, and that nobody has ever been prosecuted for them.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Anyway: https://www.canada.ca/en/department...e-accident.html

We were personally briefed by DFS as this was released. It will be a motherfucker of an investigation.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

"did not respond as expected" what the gently caress does that mean? Is there a weird handling fluke with the design?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

MA-Horus posted:

"did not respond as expected" what the gently caress does that mean? Is there a weird handling fluke with the design?

Yes and no. I am not saying more right now. It was a classic safety case of a lot of different factors lining up.

Like I said, I don't envy DFS one bit.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My Spirit Otter posted:

wasn't there also one in meaford?

I think so. I don’t know why the peacetime artillery breaks gunners at such an alarming rate. Nearly all Warrior Games and Invictus Games artillerymen were injured in training accidents, most of them pretty gnarly.

Speaking of, Gagetown is set to kick off the training cycle this week and the mayor of Fredricton is allegedly pissed. I guess their covid case number are low and they anticipate a spike.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

I think so. I don’t know why the peacetime artillery breaks gunners at such an alarming rate.

Probably comes down to "not following basic safety procedures due to wanting to look HSLD/those are for PUSSIES"

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Probably comes down to "not following basic safety procedures due to wanting to look HSLD/those are for PUSSIES"

its definitely the latter. when we got to our unit our crusty old sergeants called everyone pussies when they saw us with earpro on in the field.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

If we're losing/leaving SA because Lowtax is an abuser, my only other outlet for CAF angryposting is the CAF subreddit and that place fuckin sucks. :(

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.

stevobob posted:

If we're losing/leaving SA because Lowtax is an abuser, my only other outlet for CAF angryposting is the CAF subreddit and that place fuckin sucks. :(

I mean you could always angrypost into the void anyway? Yeah it’s pretty lovely but that subreddit could maybe less garbage on day.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
What a lovely way to wake up. If this place is going under, good luck to you all.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

there's always teh army dot ca foraaaahahhahhahahahah

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Please make sure to add "Does your application have stairs?" when trying to get a VSC.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

there's always teh army dot ca foraaaahahhahhahahahah

oh god, i had finally forgotten about that place

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Just join the gip discord. We’re welcome, as much as the coast guard or SPACE FORCE is

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Just join the gip discord. We’re welcome, as much as the coast guard or SPACE FORCE is

oh, so grudgingly and only because tangential relation and tolerated more than appreciated

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It's the only chance we'll have to use a COTS solution without going through SSC. Take it.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

It's the only chance we'll have to use a COTS solution without going through SSC. Take it.

I mean, even if the RFP were to go out today, it would take at least a year to go through procurement

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

and then be rejected in favor of a cheaper, more efficient platform

digg.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

and then be rejected in favor of a cheaper, more efficient platform

digg.

If it was good enough for another military 20 years ago, it's good enough for us

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

And/or .cn

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

I just had a minor brain wrinkle trying to figure out how we would designate different level domains by planet in addition to by country

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
This is more directed at civilians, but if you have a public servant who is in need of any kind of councelling, have them call the Employee Assistance Program. There's a lot more covered than I thought there was (for civilians and their dependants), and I really regret not calling them sooner.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i dunno who's doing the art for 2div's facebook page but they're definitely a credit to the team

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I work with a few dozen Smokepits who OT'd to air maint through Seth Brundel's teleporter with a Tacticool. Good ol Air Force.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

i resent that depiction of smokepit due to it's accuracy of my late "career"

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

I appreciate that self-awareness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
whats the gip discord boys