Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Turin Turambar posted:

What good VR games are out there? Not RE7, it isn't on PC.

Some of the cheap horror experiences that I tried were... that, cheap. The equivalent to a 'spooky house' on-rails attraction, without proper setup for immersion, story or characters, so they felt like a simplistic string of horror tropes and attempts at jump scares.

Into The Radius is about to come out of EA soon. I've been playing it a bit lately, its kind of like STALKER in VR (I've never played STALKER but thats what I've been told, also, its based on the same book). It's got a bit of jank related to grabbing items, but its got a wonderfully eerie atmosphere and a really big world to explore and mostly die in. It doesn't shove many enemies at you (or at least how far I've gotten in 6 or 7 hours, which is admittedly low) and I think does a pretty solid job of keeping its spoops related to making you wonder and worry about where things are, instead of trying to jumpscare you or use cheap tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I liked the horror parts of Stalker so that's good to hear.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I want Event Horizon VR

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Enos Cabell posted:

I want Event Horizon VR

"My god doctor, what have you done to your eyes?"

*cuts to Dr. Weir wearing a Oculus Quest*

"Where we're going we won't need eyes to see."

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Even half life alyx has some borderline horror elements with the headcrabs and mutated dudes. That stuff was way scarier in VR than it ever was in 2D.

I don't know if I'm personally onboard for something like amnesia or soma in VR though :ohdear:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

mashed_penguin posted:

Even half life alyx has some borderline horror elements with the headcrabs and mutated dudes. That stuff was way scarier in VR than it ever was in 2D.

I don't know if I'm personally onboard for something like amnesia or soma in VR though :ohdear:

That's after extensive play testing where Valve kept dialing back the horror / scary stuff because everyone hates it in VR.

I think it struck a good balance in the end but honestly it doesn't take much. Just turning around and seeing a body next to you in Boneworks, that stupid faceless monster, is horrible enough to make me scream loudly every loving time :classiclol:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Enos Cabell posted:

I want Event Horizon VR

sigher posted:

"My god doctor, what have you done to your eyes?"

*cuts to Dr. Weir wearing a Oculus Quest*

"Where we're going we won't need eyes to see."

"Well that was fun to play. Slight stabbing pain in my eyes while playing though..."

*Removes headset to reveal eyes are now missing*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren:Amerigoons :siren:

Amazon US has the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap back in stock for what I presume is the normal retail price of $97USD.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

That's a really expensive pair of headphones.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Any decent pair of headphones usually starts from $100 and up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well after a bit of testing, it looks like I was right; If anyone's looking for a way to stop the Vive/Vive Pro cable knotting itself (and hopefully prevent it inevitably fraying as it bends in tight knots), you can do it easily with a $10 fix; Get yourself a 2m Loom Tube with a diameter of 7mm. It wraps snugly around the cable and gives you the same range of flexible movement without the cable being able to loop in on itself in tight angles. You want a 2 or maybe 3m cable (setup and height depending) because it's probably roughly 0.5-1m to the ground from your linkbox (at least for mine), the 2-ish meters pooling on the ground that actually matters, and then whatever's hanging free off your back up to the headset itself.

This is what I used if you're in Australia, otherwise it's at least a reference for what to try for anyone elsewhere who's interested.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I really want to play SOMA in VR. Frictional has a new game in the Amnesia universe coming out. Would love for it to have VR support.

For those of you having good success with the Quest and Virtual Desktop, what kind of routers do you have? I still get a lot freezing and stutter with the TP-Link Archer A10 I got. My PC is a oldish, too, with a i7 3930k and DDR3, though I have 32gb and a GTX 1080 so maybe that's part of the problem.

I'm trying to be disciplined and not grab the Deluxe Audio Strap since I keep throwing money at this stuff but it's hard not to.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I tried virtual desktop > ALYX on quest and I think my pc just can’t handle it. Virtual desktop works fantastic and very low latency but Alyx is just jittery and slow.

Again though GTX 970 (which is old) but also 8GB RAM (very very old)

Worth getting some RAM and seeing if that makes it usable?

Edit: actually re reading the last page it’s definitely RAM isn’t it

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 9, 2020

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I tried virtual desktop > ALYX on quest and I think my pc just can’t handle it. Virtual desktop works fantastic and very low latency but Alyx is just jittery and slow.

Again though GTX 970 (which is old) but also 8GB RAM (very very old)

Worth getting some RAM and seeing if that makes it usable?

Edit: actually re reading the last page it’s definitely RAM isn’t it

Its your video card. I have the same card with 16gb of ram. I get the same stuttering in graphically intensive games.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it's the 970

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Aww. I kind of expected that to be honest but a GPU is a much more expensive upgrade than some RAM - at the moment I can’t really justify it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I had a GTX 970 back when the Rift CV1 first came out. I can tell you from experience that you will have low performance and stuttering issues with most SteamVR titles. It just cannot handle the extra SteamVR overhead that well. Before I got my GTX 1070 I had to stick with the Oculus ecosystem for the most part.

Also, be aware that upgrading to a GTX 1070 or higher might not be the one-stop solution. Your CPU may also be a big bottleneck. I had an i5-3570k and things got massively better for me when I upgraded to an R9 3900X. Older CPUs can end up causing hitching with VR games as it struggles to keep everything working, especially if your older CPU is 4C/4T.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Your old setup sounds super similar to what I have now yeah - my PC is basically a brand new PC away from being able to reliable handle VR (and probably new gen games)

I’m not really bummed about it - I got a Quest to have a quest but thought it would be cool to try how the Virtual Desktop stuff worked, was not expecting it to work as well as it did outside of games.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

CPU also matters somewhat with Alyx, though the new Vulkan renderer might help I've been getting crashes with it enabled.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Hey, I just announced a freestyle rapping rhythm game coming out this summer. It's called Rhyme Storm, and while we aren't launching with a VR mode we have been building with VR in mind from the beginning and already have a simple implementation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce2T7M9xhzY

VR will be one of our first big updates after launch, we're holding off because we want to make the VR implementation something special.

I'd be interested to hear feedback from all of you on what you'd like to see in a VR freestyle rapping rhythm game. It's already pretty cool to stand inside a big 3d visualizer that reacts to the music and your performance, but we're looking to add unlockables and customizable stuff for VR players. Like crazy microphones, big DJ heads, flashy gloves, and stuff to play with during your performance like light sabers, fireworks, and hand trails. We also plan to make mixed reality streaming easy with the game, and further down the road we'll be adding in multiplayer in flat and VR that will allow you to go head-to-head against other rappers.

Anyways, all the info is available on our steam page.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tip posted:

Hey, I just announced a freestyle rapping rhythm game coming out this summer. It's called Rhyme Storm, and while we aren't launching with a VR mode we have been building with VR in mind from the beginning and already have a simple implementation.

VR will be one of our first big updates after launch, we're holding off because we want to make the VR implementation something special.

I'd be interested to hear feedback from all of you on what you'd like to see in a VR freestyle rapping rhythm game. It's already pretty cool to stand inside a big 3d visualizer that reacts to the music and your performance, but we're looking to add unlockables and customizable stuff for VR players. Like crazy microphones, big DJ heads, flashy gloves, and stuff to play with during your performance like light sabers, fireworks, and hand trails. We also plan to make mixed reality streaming easy with the game, and further down the road we'll be adding in multiplayer in flat and VR that will allow you to go head-to-head against other rappers.

Looks neat, but honestly what i'd want most is to have it be inside a dingy club with a crowd of people around reacting to what you're doing. The best part about the quickly forgotten Rock Band VR, was the feeling of being up on a stage with the audience in front of you and venues ranging from ratty dives to concert halls. Dancing around the stage, leaning into virtual mic on stage and hearing your voice echo out of the sound system when singing into it, or hanging out by the drummer and whatever. Man, that was really really fun.

So yeah, I realize thats asking for a lot more work, but an onstage experience would be WAY more interesting than just being inside coloured lights flashing and stuff.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tom Guycot posted:

Looks neat, but honestly what i'd want most is to have it be inside a dingy club with a crowd of people around reacting to what you're doing. The best part about the quickly forgotten Rock Band VR, was the feeling of being up on a stage with the audience in front of you and venues ranging from ratty dives to concert halls. Dancing around the stage, leaning into virtual mic on stage and hearing your voice echo out of the sound system when singing into it, or hanging out by the drummer and whatever. Man, that was really really fun.

So yeah, I realize thats asking for a lot more work, but an onstage experience would be WAY more interesting than just being inside coloured lights flashing and stuff.

Thanks! Yeah, we do have plans for a variety of environments and visualizations, including some more traditional stage/crowd type stuff and some weirder Tetris Effect type experiences.

Still feeling out what people want the most from them, so your post is very useful!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

As someone who loves Battle Rap, there definitely is something missing without the large audience going apeshit and a stage loaded friends of the people going at it. While this isn't exactly Battle Rap, I definitely think there should be some sort of venue a la Rockband like Tom Guycot said.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tip posted:

Thanks! Yeah, we do have plans for a variety of environments and visualizations, including some more traditional stage/crowd type stuff and some weirder Tetris Effect type experiences.

Still feeling out what people want the most from them, so your post is very useful!

Looking forward to seeing what comes of this project!

I think theres a lot you can do to treat a crowd like a visualizer, going crazier at certain parts etc. Thats how it worked in RBVR, during solos and other parts when you bused out star meter and stuff where people would go wild, and just grove at mellower parts of songs, etc. When you'd make eye contact with individual people they'd react differently like looking around and then pointing back at themselves like a "wait, you're looking at me??" thing and other stuff.

Good fun.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

sigher posted:

As someone who loves Battle Rap, there definitely is something missing without the large audience going apeshit and a stage loaded friends of the people going at it. While this isn't exactly Battle Rap, I definitely think there should be some sort of venue a la Rockband like Tom Guycot said.

We are definitely planning some competitive battle rap modes, and I think it will be really cool to be up on stage with your friends during them. We want to do some collaborative modes, some 1v1 stuff, and a tournament bracket mode where you can have a bunch of people compete to see who's best.

Tom Guycot posted:

Looking forward to seeing what comes of this project!

I think theres a lot you can do to treat a crowd like a visualizer, going crazier at certain parts etc. Thats how it worked in RBVR, during solos and other parts when you bused out star meter and stuff where people would go wild, and just grove at mellower parts of songs, etc. When you'd make eye contact with individual people they'd react differently like looking around and then pointing back at themselves like a "wait, you're looking at me??" thing and other stuff.

Good fun.

I think we'd probably be doing a more stylized version of a crowd scene, something like if you combined the RBVR arenas with Pistol Whip's style, but we're definitely going to have to experiment to see what people enjoy the most.

One idea that I had, along the lines of your eye contact stuff, was having people in the crowd copy any up in the air arm movements you do while you're doing well. So you can throw your arm up and get the whole crowd waving their arms with you. Seems like it could be pretty cool!

TIP fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 10, 2020

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tip posted:

We are definitely planning some competitive battle rap modes, and I think it will be really cool to be up on stage with your friends during them. We want to do some collaborative modes, some 1v1 stuff, and a tournament bracket mode where you can have a bunch of people compete to see who's best.

I think we'd probably be doing a more stylized version of a crowd scene, something like if you combined the RBVR arenas with Pistol Whip's style, but we're definitely going to have to experiment to see what people enjoy the most.

One idea that I had, along the lines of your eye contact stuff, was having people in the crowd copy any up in the air arm movements you do while you're doing well. So you can throw your arm up and get the whole crowd waving their arms with you. Seems like it could be pretty cool!

Yeah thats a good idea! Anything that helps a crowd feel less static and more interactive would definitely make for a better experience if you go the route of having a crowd.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

sigher posted:

Mom's spaghetti

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Tip posted:

I had to remember watching this that there is no VR implementation in the trailer, but I can only imagine you will have a microphone in VR you have to hold because there is a lot you can do with that.

If you hold the mic physically closer to your mouth you can make it add distortion, nothing crazy but something to give more OOMPH to specific rhymes.

I'd imagine actually dropping the mic would be implemented somehow too, like dropping the mic after a combo for a multiplier boost or something? You could just have it reappear in your hand.

And making this a good party game in general, if there is a two player battle rap mode, you could have one side be the mob and the other the yeti (to use the trailer example, I would imagine it would be easy to generate more of these)

anyways that game sounds very interesting and I am more than likely going to buy it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tip posted:

If you're looking at venues and streaming, integrate the Twitch audience into the game's audience just via nametags over their heads (Not necessarily the WHOLE audience, but like a random selection for example). Give them some individual animations for stuff like subs and tossing bits at the streamer (eg; cheering, or holding a billboard over their head with their resub message).

On a more general note, when building for VR work to integrate your game into the world rather than just a HUD as much as possible. That scroll of text can go on a karaoke monitor in front of the player in a dinky little club, for example, and on a big concert stage it might be set in the floor at an angle in front of the player so they can see both the audience and the screen (or just out behind the audience). The settings menus might be in a green room behind the stage, and for streaming make an option for a fixed camera out from the audience so players can make a big entrance walking out for a little hype. It's also a good place to store all those planned props and let people try out a few before heading out to perform.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tip posted:

I don't battle myself, but I would play the hell out of the game if I could be in the audience as players on stage battle. That would be dope as all gently caress.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're looking at venues and streaming, integrate the Twitch audience into the game's audience just via nametags over their heads (Not necessarily the WHOLE audience, but like a random selection for example). Give them some individual animations for stuff like subs and tossing bits at the streamer (eg; cheering, or holding a billboard over their head with their resub message).

On a more general note, when building for VR work to integrate your game into the world rather than just a HUD as much as possible. That scroll of text can go on a karaoke monitor in front of the player in a dinky little club, for example, and on a big concert stage it might be set in the floor at an angle in front of the player so they can see both the audience and the screen (or just out behind the audience). The settings menus might be in a green room behind the stage, and for streaming make an option for a fixed camera out from the audience so players can make a big entrance walking out for a little hype. It's also a good place to store all those planned props and let people try out a few before heading out to perform.

I really like the Twitch integration idea; also, what if the wall behind your opponent was spray painted with the words that you're supposed to use.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

I liked the horror parts of Stalker so that's good to hear.

The part where that thing teleports you from the other end of a corridor* was scary enough in pancake mode, i cant imagine how freaked out that would be in VR

*excuse my possibly dodgy recollection, it was a long time ago

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Finished half life alyx. Overall a good experience, but I gotta say it dragged in some areas. Also, the 3D puzzles were mostly a chore. Now to wait a dozen or so years for the sequel.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Yeah man it should be open world too, and make it so you gotta roam around the city asking people to come watch you rap

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

If they're taking the VR freestyle battle rhythm genre open-world I demand as many jump orbs as Crackdown (2007}

marumaru
May 20, 2013

is there a way to permanently stop beat saber from updating
this is the most aggravating game ever with updates. i loving hate every single one of them.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Inacio posted:

is there a way to permanently stop beat saber from updating
this is the most aggravating game ever with updates. i loving hate every single one of them.

Which system? In the Quest, I found that it just won't update if I have it modded.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If it's on steam, you can right click the game in your library- > properties - > uncheck the Keep this game up to date box on the updates tab.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Great Beer posted:

If it's on steam, you can right click the game in your library- > properties - > uncheck the Keep this game up to date box on the updates tab.

is there a way to do this on quest? Ive been putting off updates since doing custom songs and I kinda dont care about content.

Any way to just auto ignore the message?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Great Beer posted:

that is no longer a thing, sadly. best you can do is only update when you launch (pointless)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Inacio posted:

that is no longer a thing, sadly. best you can do is only update when you launch (pointless)

If you set it to that then I believe you should be able to run the exe outside Steam and it won't update.