Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I have to get a new computer for school that’s a recent MBP or spec equivalent and I’m having a hard time deciding if I should get a base model 2020 13” or upgrade to the 10th gen version. I know the thread probably thinks 10th gen but it’s a lot of money for compute I’m not sure I need. The RAM would be nice for music production but the only graphics intensive thing I do is play video games. I am worried that only having 2x I/O ports will be annoying. Alternatively I could just get an XPS 13 but I already have an iPhone and just had to also buy an iPad for school too so idk about that. I have never owned a Mac before.

if u wanna game and don't absolutely need a mac, get the xps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Weedle posted:

if u wanna game and don't absolutely need a mac, get the xps

It has the same iGPU though

(but it's true that you have a lot of options in that price range on the PC side that would be better for gaming)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

christ i just looked at dell's site and not only did i forget that they do that stupid thing where you have to get the i7 if you want 16gb of ram, they also only offer 256gb and 1tb ssds????? ??????? never mind!!

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
To clarify I’m not really much of a pc gamer anyway, I haven’t had a games capable computer in the last decade

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Interesting new card for 2019 MacPros, and also MacPro 5,1s..

https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=309

Lets you externally load your M.2 NVMe SSDs into your PCIe Mac without having to pop it open.

You'd probably have to shut down if you're switching in a boot drive, but it's an intriguing idea as the NVMe carrier module has its own thermal pad and it would be nice to be able to switch in, say a Mojave / HS boot drive for those times you need the backwards compatibility or if you have an Nvidia GPU, then switch back to a Catalina boot when needed.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
'2019' got me all confused before I clicked the link

One day I'll snag a 5.1 when people get tired of them.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Better get used to it because that's 🍏s official name for the 2019 model.

Mac Pro (2019)

MacPro7,1 is the model identifier

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 4, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Cheese Grater PPC
Cheese Grater Intel
Trashcan
Cheese Grater w/wheels

Only catchy one is trashcan. And lol there was only 1 revision of the trashcan? Haha.

e: I do miss the trashcan tho. I like that kind of left field design. My main gripe is that it was too limited. Do that same zany design but around a 1000w power envelope.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 4, 2020

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Shaocaholica posted:

Cheese Grater PPC
Cheese Grater Intel
Trashcan
Cheese Grater w/wheels

Only catchy one is trashcan. And lol there was only 1 revision of the trashcan? Haha.

e: I do miss the trashcan tho. I like that kind of left field design. My main gripe is that it was too limited. Do that same zany design but around a 1000w power envelope.
I think we all remember Apple’s 1977 G3 blue and white trashcan hybrid - the R2D2.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
Has anyone with a Mac Mini with user-upgraded RAM updated their OS and can confirm it won't cause issues? I have not updated the OS since I installed an iFixit 64GB kit into my "2020" (2018) Mini and am pretty sure I read somewhere that there is a chance the updater could have issues with non-Apple RAM which then requires taking the machine into the Store or going through some convoluted process (restore BridgeOS) to resolve.

I'd rather not go through the process of putting the original RAM back in if it's not necessary; if it is I guess I'll end up reserving that rigamarole for critical updates.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arrowsmith posted:

Has anyone with a Mac Mini with user-upgraded RAM updated their OS and can confirm it won't cause issues? I have not updated the OS since I installed an iFixit 64GB kit into my "2020" (2018) Mini and am pretty sure I read somewhere that there is a chance the updater could have issues with non-Apple RAM which then requires taking the machine into the Store or going through some convoluted process (restore BridgeOS) to resolve.

I'd rather not go through the process of putting the original RAM back in if it's not necessary; if it is I guess I'll end up reserving that rigamarole for critical updates.

Never had a problem with my 2012, but then again it doesn't have a security chip, soo...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Arrowsmith posted:

im pretty sure it doesnt work like that, RAM isnt made by apple

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Arrowsmith posted:

Has anyone with a Mac Mini with user-upgraded RAM updated their OS and can confirm it won't cause issues?

I have a 2018 that I upgraded to 32 and I always update OS. So far no problems.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

phosdex posted:

I have a 2018 that I upgraded to 32 and I always update OS. So far no problems.

Thanks, and to the other replies as well.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Anyone else experiencing screen flickering issues on the new 13-inch MacBook Pro? It was flickering out of the box, resetting the NVRAM/SMC and reinstalling macOS did not help. Seems like it might be defective in which case I will need to do an exchange.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

NoDamage posted:

Anyone else experiencing screen flickering issues on the new 13-inch MacBook Pro? It was flickering out of the box, resetting the NVRAM/SMC and reinstalling macOS did not help. Seems like it might be defective in which case I will need to do an exchange.

Exchange it. Mine has not been doing that.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

I mean I usually don't plug in headphones into the analog jack ever. This is probably the first time I've done that in a long time.

I don't use headphones on my mac a whole lot but today I've had the first experience with balance drift on airpods. Wtf? I've had Macs for a while and this is the first time I notice this. Why is this happening? Is there something I can change to fix this?

This is dumb lol.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

NoDamage posted:

I have so weird flickering issues but only when playing hbo Nordic in full screen. So I’m not sure if it’s the laptop or the website...

I do have some colour temperature issues though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bloomberg wrote an article saying the ARM switch will happen at WWDC

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-09/apple-plans-to-announce-move-to-its-own-mac-chips-at-wwdc

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I don't even know why I want to play video games on my Mac, but ARM gaming should be pretty great when these finally roll out.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

play iphone games... on a mac!!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1270355638443376647?s=19

👀

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Just make the iPad run OSX already, jeez.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lol it’s going to be easier to service than the x86 iMac.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

TheWevel posted:

Just make the iPad run OSX already, jeez.

iOS has always been a fork of macOS. We are probably seeing the great Merge now.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Last Chance posted:

iOS has always been a fork of macOS. We are probably seeing the great Merge now.

they're pretty different behind the scenes now, afaik.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

they're pretty different behind the scenes now, afaik.

Correct.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol it’s going to be easier to service than the x86 iMac.

mmmmmmmmmmm nooo I don't think so, Tim..

If that design follows the pic, its gonna be even thinner glue strips and pizza wheel cutters to get at the insides, is my feeling.

Also, if Apple goes to ARM on the iMacs, cooling should finally be a non-issue thanks to the economy power-sipping requirements that this architecture provides

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Maybe they'll move the Mac Pro over to ARM, and then I can pick up a clearanced X86 MP.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Gay Retard posted:

I don't even know why I want to play video games on my Mac, but ARM gaming should be pretty great when these finally roll out.

Man, in the time since I joined these forums.....

like, some of us have been talking about a "good gaming Mac" for at least a decade. I'd say 2011 is probably the first year that at least the iMac and MBA of all things were relatively competent from a hardware loadout standpoint.

Entire generations of Mac and PC have come and gone........

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Gay Retard posted:

This assumes that Apple will bring the A14 over with everything, including the on-chip GPU.

I keep getting this feeling that they might use some bastardized version of the A14 minus the GPU cores in some misguided attempt to keep the thermal envelope down? And pair it with AMD GPUs for some unfathomable reason?

The only reason I bring this up is that I remember that the company that developed the PowerVR GPU, Imagination Technologies, actually demoed a stock PC using their GPU mounted on a PCIe card and was shopping it around at a trade show.. And Apple's current on-chip GPU is directly derived from the PowerVR chip.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/2243...cing/index.html

Perhaps it might be more efficient to have the GPU separate on its own card rather than as SOC on the CPU..

Guess we'll see which way Apple goes when they make the ARM iMac announcement.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 9, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Weedle posted:

play iphone games... on a mac!!

Apple Arcade subscription games are playable in MacOS. It even has its own dedicated tab in the App Store.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 9, 2020

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Man, in the time since I joined these forums.....

like, some of us have been talking about a "good gaming Mac" for at least a decade. I'd say 2011 is probably the first year that at least the iMac and MBA of all things were relatively competent from a hardware loadout standpoint.

Entire generations of Mac and PC have come and gone........

I know this doesn't apply to all games, but the fact that so many games are already cross platform and running on ARM on the Nvidia Shield, Nintendo Switch, and iOS gives me hope.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SourKraut posted:

Maybe they'll move the Mac Pro over to ARM, and then I can pick up a clearanced X86 MP.

Lol no. ARM isn't going to have the performance to match the current x86 CPUs which means even if they released a 'pro' ARM version people are not going to dump their pro x86 machines. Now a threadripper/opteron MacPro would be pretty cool.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol no. ARM isn't going to have the performance to match the current x86 CPUs which means even if they released a 'pro' ARM version people are not going to dump their pro x86 machines. Now a threadripper/opteron MacPro would be pretty cool.

core for core apple is by far the fastest

they don't make big honking chip(let)s since they don't ship enough for it to be worth it, maybe that'll change

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol no. ARM isn't going to have the performance to match the current x86 CPUs

quoting this for posterity

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I almost wonder if Apple rolling out an ARM Mac Pro wouldn’t make me more interested in getting my hands on one.

Apple switching to their own chips tickles the “90s Mac user” in me. My computer can’t run any of your apps or games but the CPU inside of it is unique and exotic! It’s not overheating, it’s exotic!

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Binary Badger posted:

mmmmmmmmmmm nooo I don't think so, Tim..

If that design follows the pic, its gonna be even thinner glue strips and pizza wheel cutters to get at the insides, is my feeling.

Also, if Apple goes to ARM on the iMacs, cooling should finally be a non-issue thanks to the economy power-sipping requirements that this architecture provides

The 4K Apple TV has a fan so maybe not. They might try to remove fans prematurely.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Well it's gonna be interesting to see how VMWare / Parallels work in ARM...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dear god please skip the first gen ARM Macs you know it's going to be a shitshow.