Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

secret volcano lair posted:

Huh. Ok. Also sounds like it makes Consumer of Crowns worse than you'd expect, given the imp restriction

Not quite, because you will draw Imps as part of the other cards in your hand. But generally speaking you should never take Consumer unless you have Volatile Gauge or Unbroken Horn already. Same goes for Shadowsiege.

quote:

The game is clearly balanced around this feature existing, but I don't think it should be hidden from the player the way it is

You're labouring under a misapprehension that anything in this game is balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Had a bug that when I returned to a game with Rem/Hell where I had that one Rem card that gave you Ember per person that died in the battle. I think I was only on turn 3 or something but that card was giving me 45+ ember for some drat reason. Had nowhere close to that number die by that turn, but it went up to 50 after I cast the Consume Imp with Endless a couple times.

It didn't happen during the next battle.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

monstertrain://runresult/db617283-0d64-4efa-b8f6-7fb483c015ee

First cov25 win! I didn't think I would make it, I had to finish Seraph on the second floor or the last wave of winged would kill the pyre. Fortunately I drew just enough to buff my endless frostbite shark to finish the job.

Endless frostbite shark is pretty fun.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Jedit posted:

Not quite, because you will draw Imps as part of the other cards in your hand.

I mean, yes, but you're much more likely to draw Consumer on turn 1 or turn 2 because of this rule, which means it's a worse card than it appears, right?

It can also appear in the "normal" draw slots, so the rule causes a straight increase to its draw rate, and a decrease to the draw rate of the imps (which can only show up in the normal draws). So you are even more likely to get it in your hand before you could possibly play it

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

dyzzy posted:

Probably overpowered but codify it as a draw queue that you can order yourself.

Definitely overpowered. Especially with stuff like the Awoken (?) spike that draws X and reduces the cost of all drawn cards to 0.

quote:

This feels like something they had to leave in because they painted themselves into a corner, design wise.

Yeah, it's clear why they did it. The Wardens and even most of the Champions just die to a round of hits by Circle 2 or 3, and probably most of the (non-Stygian) cards in the game do little to nothing without creatures in play.

If the draws were random, you would just auto-lose every time you got to Daedelus and the only 2 creatures in your deck with >8 HP were under 20 copies of Train Warden, Restore, and Shadesplitter.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Contrary to the popular opinion earlier I am convinced the Melting Remnants are really good, as long as you can get Dark Calling soon.

Does anyone else have the game doing 'first time setup' every time they start it?'

e could they have made a more annoying sound for penumbra being hit, good lord

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 9, 2020

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Cuntellectual posted:

Contrary to the popular opinion earlier I am convinced the Melting Remnants are really good, as long as you can get Dark Calling soon.

Does anyone else have the game doing 'first time setup' every time they start it?'

e could they have made a more annoying sound for penumbra being hit, good lord

Is the popular opinion that Melting Remnants are bad? I'm only at Covenant 12 or so, but my tier list would be:

Stygia
Melting Remnants
-----Gap-----
Awoken
Hellhorned
-----Gap-----
Umbra

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Avasculous posted:

Is the popular opinion that Melting Remnants are bad? I'm only at Covenant 12 or so, but my tier list would be:

Stygia
Melting Remnants
-----Gap-----
Awoken
Hellhorned
-----Gap-----
Umbra

That's what I saw when I glanced at the first page but I have no idea.

I'd have put Stygia at the bottom though.

Remnant + Melting can be a goofy combination with huge morsels endlessly tying up bosses though. :v:

Main issue I have with Remnant is 2/3 of the classes for Flicker seem... Really bad. Burn Bright especially. Huge champions are pretty worthless without trample imo.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 9, 2020

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I had a weird run last night with the Stygians where I realised a little late that I was very light on units. Had a cloned upgraded incant buff mermaid, a squid thing that bumps up your magic power, the umbra damage shield gorger and my champ.

Still managed to get up to Seraph on the strength of my spell casting, but the game does not want you to win with only 5 units.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Some streamer (DolphinChemist apparently) put together a bit of a guide.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IVnxqNCaxq8NVHjZgRKygkk_5PENRA-kVTo8ip_frSw/edit#gid=1721150078

I haven't tried to use it yet, but it seems pretty decent.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Melting is the single best clan in my opinion. So long as you can get any form of burnout support, the burnout flavor of champion can basically solo the first 4 fights with trials on.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Cuntellectual posted:

That's what I saw when I glanced at the first page but I have no idea.

I'd have put Stygia at the bottom though.

Remnant + Melting can be a goofy combination with huge morsels endlessly tying up bosses though. :v:

Main issue I have with Remnant is 2/3 of the classes for Flicker seem... Really bad. Burn Bright especially. Huge champions are pretty worthless without trample imo.

That's funny, because I would pick Burn Bright as the best Rector.

Huge champions without trample are boss killers. A BB Rector can take 5+ rounds of hits from Seraph and hit for 750 in return. If you reform him on each floor (easy with holdover Remold), that's 2250 damage just from Rector, plus five rounds of shielding per floor for whatever you put behind him.

Outside of boss fights, he has a massive attack and the highest HP of any hero (at size 2 vs Monstrous Penumbra being 3-5), which is really great for a bunch of Dregs and Drafs to stand behind.

The only times I've had him be a catastrophe are runs where I can't find any Reform cards whatsoever. That's unusual since Remold (and probably 1 or 2 others) is common, and in a pinch there's Remnant cards that boost Burnout without reform.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

An important note for burnout champion is that as a champion he always shows up on turn 1, so you can consistently always have a high health unit to take hits at the start of every combat, for the wide variety of fragile backline units that exist. A similar reason why the awoken champion is consistently useful, having someone that can take hits on the first turn no matter what can be huge, depending on your draw luck.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
My personal rating is Awoken > Melting > Umbra > Stygian > Hellhorned, at least as primary. HH is a great secondary though.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Yeah, I've been doing Hellhorned mains lately to fill out the combos I was missing (I had 0 HH main wins and was around cov ~17) and they only strat I've made work is Party Floor - once with Forever Flame, holdover Hidden Passage and many Demon Fiends, and once with Volatile Gauge, holdover Hidden Passage and duplicated Consumer of Crowns. The second one also had an endless Titan Sentry, which did a lot of work to buy setup time.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Few questions about draw if anoyne's figured them out.

Is the "always draw a clan unit" thing only true for your primary clan?

Do things like Morsels count or are they like Imps?

Are there any non-clan units other than train stewards and railspikes?

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
It's specifically the units that come from unit drafts / banners. Train stewards, morsels generated from other cards, cards from regular drafts like imps and channelers are treated as spells.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Jedit posted:

Not quite, because you will draw Imps as part of the other cards in your hand. But generally speaking you should never take Consumer unless you have Volatile Gauge or Unbroken Horn already. Same goes for Shadowsiege.

Flicker's liquor and sketches of salvation also work well with these two.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
oh, Endless cards don't actually count as dead and can't be reformed. welp

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

peer posted:

oh, Endless cards don't actually count as dead and can't be reformed. welp

Yeah, you only want endless on something you either can't do without or something thats incredibly buff already. I put it on brightburn rector flicker whenever I can via the consumable remnant book.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
You can also make it work in your favor. You can give an imp or tomb unit endless and burnout and it will always clear its space at the end of the turn, since it will stay burnout 1 forever. This lets you always get the summon or extinguish effect without relying on enemy damage.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Endless on that Voitivary card that pseudo-reforms a unit with +40 attack is kinda cool. Not game-breaking, but Good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DNK posted:

Endless on that Voitivary card that pseudo-reforms a unit with +40 attack is kinda cool. Not game-breaking, but Good.

That's Formless Child. Votivary is already Endless and draws you a card when it dies.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

DNK posted:

If you get the -2 ember unit cost artifact though... :getin:

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Endless works much like holdover, the card comes back but effectively consumes one of your card draws. Votivary draws a card so it counteracts that. You really don't want endless on mediocre units, it will just clog up your hand.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Finally tried the daily challenge, I like the way it shows other players and makes for a pseudo multiplayer experience. It would be cool to see something like a percentage breakdown for card/event picks too (though I guess that would impact scores to some degree? not that I mind)

Today's run lets you do some crazy stuff with imps, though I never saw a pyre chomper which would have made it truly broken. Just don't take that consumer of crowns...

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
One of my favorite runs so far put Endless on the +3 rage imp and Holdover on that card that sacs an imp for +2 energy and 1 card draw. That card draw would always draw the imp and let me play it again. I had the relic where Rage doesn't decay, so I just scaled up the Angry Floor and annihilated anyone who dared arrive. Also I got Transecendimp once and it added another like, 40 rage.

Endless can do some really bonkers stuff you just have to think about the whole situation holistically with it and not just add it to add it, since it can be negative value like Smiling Demon mentioned.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

3 of these with Volatile Gauge is pretty hilarious.

My champ got up to 200x20 in the final fight.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Wish you didn't get a miserable 10 gold for skipping a bad card roll.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Carecat posted:

Wish you didn't get a miserable 10 gold for skipping a bad card roll.

Yeah, or just 25 for skipping a bad artifact. Nothing like hitting the challenge switch and barely scraping by on a tough fight, then being offered a completely worthless artifact, or 25 gold as a consolation prize.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Really wish they'd scale scoring with cov at least a little as well, like sts does with acsensions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Uninstalled and hid the game last night after a series of bad runs culminated in a Cov 11 that was basically lost in the first fight. It was an outlier - bad random cards, all four Stewards in the bottom five cards and Stygian main - but it highlighted just how few meaningful decisions there are in this game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Glad you had fun while it lasted!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Getting the Smallstone and multistrike upgrade on your Overgorger and then duplicating them twice apparently is really good. Alongside picking up the Gorge artifact alongside holdover Packed Morsels, each row had an 100+ tiny multistriker that decimated enemies.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just got my first Umbra win, oorah.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

should pretty much always take spikes on awoken right? The others seem real hard to get off the ground.

edit--covenant 10 and have a win with every primary except hell horn. They're my least favorite. what's a good clan to pair with them?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 11, 2020

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Hey, new player here, loving this game, but uh, quick question

What the gently caress

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Color Printer posted:

What the gently caress

That fight is like an object lesson on how good sweep is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Color Printer posted:

What the gently caress
Spikes, any-enemy spells and all-enemy spells can all help with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

PMush Perfect posted:

Spikes, any-enemy spells and all-enemy spells can all help with them.

I had basically none of those that run which turned out to be my downfall