Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Shropshire, 2015

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

beach by Marc, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Raikyn posted:

beach by Marc, on Flickr

I get a mixed vibe between Normandy invasion beach and "Statue of Liberty from Caven Point Road". Really nice!

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Nice, very nice tonal gradation on this one.
Might just be that I like square green things :p

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Ah I missed the forest/tree chat. Totally agree with the spotting of wonderful strident trunks and patterns then looking back at the photos later feeling like you've totally failed to capture it as it's gone due to being lost in the noise of foliage and branches. Some people seem to get alot more depth into their greens too somehow but maybe it's me not waiting for the right lighting to create some more distinction.
Anyway the results never put me off trying, was well excited to get out after it rained for first time in ages this morning!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Ash Foliage by Aves Lux, on Flickr

I went back out to trey and get a nice foliage shot after our chat, I think it's in the edit, gotta lift those blacks and lower the dynamic range.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's the light. Light quality is important for all photography but for a lot of subjects you can adapt to suboptimal light by working the scene to find a decent shot. In the woods without good light it's not even worth binging the camera.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

xzzy posted:

It's the light. Light quality is important for all photography but for a lot of subjects you can adapt to suboptimal light by working the scene to find a decent shot. In the woods without good light it's not even worth binging the camera.

Even when the light is nice in person it's been hard for people to translate that to the resultant image, which is I think what we were discussing.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

xzzy posted:

Hah that sounds abit defeatist! I try to work up paintings using alot of my woods photos but even in themselves I think the act of taking them can help you 'look' more at your surroundings, in the same way drawing even a crap portrait would still make you consider and visually process someone's face more fully.
Do agree lighting makes the final piece though, might have to think abit more to try and improve with this local scenery rather than just snapping away regularly.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

I realize this is pretty basic stuff but like, what is "good light" for forests, or for any scene for that matter? I've found it surprisingly hard to find good information on this - most books I've read are either aimed towards beginners who don't even know the exposure triangle, or are more advanced and focus more on composition and assume you know that already.

I realize that golden hour is a thing, and overcast makes for softer / no shadows which makes for more even lighting, but are those "good" light? Like, I feel that

jarlywarly posted:

Ash Foliage by Aves Lux, on Flickr

I went back out to trey and get a nice foliage shot after our chat, I think it's in the edit, gotta lift those blacks and lower the dynamic range.
would have been hurt by more soft light, since then it'd just be leaves that are all evenly lit without anything particularly interesting happening. Maybe that's a problem with the subject chosen, but with the harsh lighting there I found it drew nice attention to the contrast between the leaves. Unless "good light" in this situation would refer to something else, in which case what is that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well excellent photos can be taken in literally any lighting condition conceivable, so the only rule that matters is if it looks good. But I do think forest photography gets easier in faintly overcast skies that soften the shadows a bit. Indirect light (bouncing off something into your scene) works well too. Or fog. Or backlight.

In that context "good light" to me is anything that adds depth to the scene and creates places for the viewer's eye to latch on to.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

xzzy posted:

Well excellent photos can be taken in literally any lighting condition conceivable, so the only rule that matters is if it looks good. But I do think forest photography gets easier in faintly overcast skies that soften the shadows a bit. Indirect light (bouncing off something into your scene) works well too. Or fog. Or backlight.

In that context "good light" to me is anything that adds depth to the scene and creates places for the viewer's eye to latch on to.

Make your own lighting

DSC_9951.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
For forest photos, I'm more of a fan of harsh, direct light. I think you need to pushed contrast and the separation it allows.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

CodfishCartographer posted:

I realize this is pretty basic stuff but like, what is "good light" for forests, or for any scene for that matter? I've found it surprisingly hard to find good information on this - most books I've read are either aimed towards beginners who don't even know the exposure triangle, or are more advanced and focus more on composition and assume you know that already.

if it looks good it's good

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Legged it out this morning seeing there'd been a shower but the sun was out, so could have a go in different light conditions. And completely failed to notice I'd got the 25mm rather than 17mm on..
Just posting these for completeness, still struggling to 'isolate' the parts I was focused on, but it's been a useful exercise in thinking about what I'm trying to do and how scenes I'd like to paint differ from those that probably make better photographs. Might sound obvious that there'd be a difference but despite taking lots of reference photos I've always thought about them somewhat interchangeably.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That second one is way better than the first post of that spot, because the lighting added a ton of depth to the scene.

All of it is better but that spot of direct light in the background in particular stands out. And the different levels on the foreground trunks.. it defines their shape a lot more.

To me anyways. I'm sure some people like the first shot better.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Speaking of forests:

Had a couple of near misses I might go back and re-shoot.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Speaking of forests:

Had a couple of near misses I might go back and re-shoot.

both of these are really nice

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

xzzy posted:

That second one is way better than the first post of that spot, because the lighting added a ton of depth to the scene.

All of it is better but that spot of direct light in the background in particular stands out. And the different levels on the foreground trunks.. it defines their shape a lot more.

To me anyways. I'm sure some people like the first shot better.

Thanks! This has been a good prompt to think abit more about how to make the most of some of this local scenery, I had got into abit of a rut of doing the same things without considering the possibilities.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Speaking of forests:

I like this one the best, it's got a kindof dazzling effect like looking at a checkerboard/argle pattern but with enough leading lines in the foreground to bring you in still

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Only had my phone

Storm over Lunt by Aves Lux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sweet.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Storm Light by Aves Lux, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Storm light" gives me a lot of anxiety because it's so hard to predict and I never have a subject handy. I end up running around like an idiot shooting nothing trying to find something perfect.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

I end up running around like an idiot shooting nothing trying to find something perfect.
Stop giving away my secret approach to photography.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Washi A film. Handmade ISO 12 black and white film made from motion picture leader protector stock.

Spotmatic, Takumar 105 f/2.8

Washi A024.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Washi A016.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Washi A004-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tk posted:

Stop giving away my secret approach to photography.

Secret? Hell, it's the whole basis for my dvd series, "photography while you're on fire."

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nice!

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Some 4AM sunrises from the solstice here:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Birudojin posted:

Some 4AM sunrises from the solstice here:

Stunning! Well worth the early start.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yeah those are not bad!

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Thanks! I don't do a lot of landscapes, so having some turn out at all is a nice change for me :P

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Something different.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So this is one of my favorite threads on the forums and even though I don't do photography too often nowadays, I still love seeing these pictures, hearing the feedback, and generally just inspiring me to be a better photographer. Is there a discord for this and probably other dorkroom threads?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

GrandpaPants posted:

So this is one of my favorite threads on the forums and even though I don't do photography too often nowadays, I still love seeing these pictures, hearing the feedback, and generally just inspiring me to be a better photographer. Is there a discord for this and probably other dorkroom threads?

Given the uncertain future of the fora, it's possible we may have to move if we want to maintain this group of photographers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

hold on let me drop a bunch of money on dorkroom.com and find the latest version of phpbb, this is gonna be epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I had this same concern and have made a chat thread for the topic, there's also a discord I've made so we don't lose touch should the worst come to pass.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929110&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

https://discord.gg/98XxqMB

The Dorkroom is easily my favourite place to post about photography and to see a whole bunch of talented photographers put out really nice work.