Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The only reason I can think of is a ready made one only costs $30. I don’t know how thick mine is, but I’ve never had to worry about it bending or sagging and dropping my pizza. How you engineer that attachment to the handle is going to make a big difference on that with yours.

Well the main reasons are that I have the aluminium sitting around (I found it in my garage, which has many hidden treasures), and it might be a fun project.

I'm thinking about how to do the handle, still and I have a few options:

1) just cut the aluminium so that it's simply a square with a flat 6-inch handle protruding, perhaps with a fabric wrap around it. This could work well enough since I'm just cooking on a pizza stone in my home oven, so I don't need a 4-foot handle or anything.

1a) attach a wooden handle, optionally protruding and adding length, with a steak knife style rivet connection.

2) bend a handle into a rounded shape.

2b) and insert a wooden handle into that.

Part of my concern was whether there are any food safety/grade issues with aluminium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Yeah, I made caesar salads the other night and tossed the chopped romaine hearts with the leftover fresh dressing and it was pretty sad the next day.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Vichyssoise is pretty straightforward. If you can find some nice watermelon, it makes a lovely summer salad. You do watermelon, ripe mango, red onion, avocado, fresh cilantro or dill as your mood takes you, and lime juice and olive oil to round it all out. Cucumber and avocado soup is also delightful. You combine peeled english cucumber, avocado, lots of lime juice, salt and black pepper, coconut milk, a spot of tahini, and plenty of dill. You want to blend the veggies together in the blender first until smooth, and then add in the dill so that it gets chopped up nicely.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/bon-appetit-pays-only-white-editors-videos-adam-rapoport-brown-face-1234628027/

Hey so only white editors at Bon Appetit we’re getting paid and photo if Adam in brownface surfaces

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Steve Yun posted:

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/bon-appetit-pays-only-white-editors-videos-adam-rapoport-brown-face-1234628027/

Hey so only white editors at Bon Appetit we’re getting paid and photo if Adam in brownface surfaces

Last few pages of the Food Television Masturbation Station https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790280

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

ulmont posted:

Last few pages of the Food Television Masturbation Station https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790280

Some of that is really genuine and interesting and some of it is total clickbait trash. Art imitates life, life imitates tv.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Funny clips! You've probably seen the 2nd one where one host suggests mac & cheese is similar to British carbonara if you add ham to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et0bG8V1cCk

I always thought the best part of being a movie star was guest hosting on game shows, and now I think the best part of being a chef must be razzing morning TV hosts

e: if you're not familiar with the British saying, I'll save you the rewinding and googling I had to do. The term he uses in clip 3 is "up the duff", meaning pregnant, related in etymology to "bun in the oven". The 2nd-to-last clip he revisits this suggesting "up the muff" would make more sense

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 10, 2020

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The commissary was selling leg of lamb for $1.99 a pound and I love lamb and bought a few. Never cooked it before though any suggestions?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Rythe posted:

The commissary was selling leg of lamb for $1.99 a pound and I love lamb and bought a few. Never cooked it before though any suggestions?

I'll usually do quarter cup of honey, tbsp or two of mustard, bunch of fresh rosemary, bit of black pepper, bit of lemon zest, 3-4 minced garlic, and some salt, then marinate the leg in that before roasting on a rack for 20 minutes at 450F before reudcing the heat to 350F until its done.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I went to the local Mexican market and they had cabeza de res (cow head meat) for cheap. So I made a braising liquid with chiles (morita, negro, pequin, arbol, and some fresh habaneros), onion, oregano, bay leaves, cumin, and coriander and let it boil for five hours while I worked on other projects. Those projects included salsa brava, which has become one of my favorite condiments. I ended up making tacos de cabeza as good as any I've had in a taqueria.

I picked up some manteca and made a batch of carnitas for the first time too. They turned out okay, but I'll make a lot of improvements next time I try them - mostly cooking for longer on a more aggressive heat to get them crisping up more. On the plus side, I strained the lard and now I have a big jar of citrus/cinnamon/clove-scented fat to cook with. I'm thinking about making some shortbread cookies with it this weekend to see how that works out.

Along with that, I'll be making something with pork tongue. Not sure what yet, but I'm leaning toward Czech-style goulash with big fluffy steamed dumplings and pickled red cabbage.

Cooking is therapy. How are you all doing?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bartolimu posted:

I picked up some manteca and made a batch of carnitas for the first time too. They turned out okay, but I'll make a lot of improvements next time I try them - mostly cooking for longer on a more aggressive heat to get them crisping up more.
Whenever I make carnitas I do the meat just regular done or whatever you want to call it, shred it, and then portion and vac seal it. When I wan to make tacos or whatever I just throw it in a hot skillet with some stock/manteca/chopped onion/whatever to crisp it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

In terms of quarantine cooking, so far the defining ingredients for me has been duck and mixed Asian greens. Duck because my local CSA also delivers locally sourced meat, but everything is always sold out...except, for some reason, whole ducks. So I've been going through a whole duck every other week. And a lot of mustard greens and bok choy because holy poo poo has the garden been producing them for the past couple months.

Quarantine weekly meal: homemade duck ramen:

That's duck breast (puddle machine @130/55 then seared until the skin is black and crispy), shiitake mushrooms (also CSA box) fried in the duck fat from searing the breast meat, potato onion scapes from the garden, boiled egg, bok choy and mustard greens. Homemade ramen noodles (35% hydration, 1% sodium carbonate, pinch of salt). Soup is homemade duck stock (carcass, shallots, scallions, garlic, ginger, apple roasted in the oven until lightly charred, transferred to pressure cooker, enough dashi to cover, high pressure for ~45 minutes, strain) and homemade tare (Japanese soy, mirin, garlic, ginger, scallion).

This poo poo is so loving good. Like just unbelievably rich.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

In terms of quarantine cooking, so far the defining ingredients for me has been duck and mixed Asian greens. Duck because my local CSA also delivers locally sourced meat, but everything is always sold out...except, for some reason, whole ducks. So I've been going through a whole duck every other week. And a lot of mustard greens and bok choy because holy poo poo has the garden been producing them for the past couple months.

Quarantine weekly meal: homemade duck ramen:

That's duck breast (puddle machine @130/55 then seared until the skin is black and crispy), shiitake mushrooms (also CSA box) fried in the duck fat from searing the breast meat, potato onion scapes from the garden, boiled egg, bok choy and mustard greens. Homemade ramen noodles (35% hydration, 1% sodium carbonate, pinch of salt). Soup is homemade duck stock (carcass, shallots, scallions, garlic, ginger, apple roasted in the oven until lightly charred, transferred to pressure cooker, enough dashi to cover, high pressure for ~45 minutes, strain) and homemade tare (Japanese soy, mirin, garlic, ginger, scallion).

This poo poo is so loving good. Like just unbelievably rich.

Marry me.

I loving love duck. My wife is vegetarian so that’s what we cook. I’ve had meat once since early March. I’m really craving it. Confit duck would do.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yeah, in addition to the ramen thing I've been doing the legs confit and then using them in cassoulet because I've got lots of beans and garlic sausage is one of the other meat products I can get from my CSA. I've been cheating or whatever and doing it in the pressure cooker and haven't had any cannellinis or haricots lingots but w/e it's the apocalypse I think I can live with inauthentic cassoulet.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
We've adjusted to our Vegas summer eating schedule, which means a nice frittata in the dark of the morning after the gym, and just light things throughout the day. However, because all of the tiki bars were closed, I became my very own tiki bar. I've never owned so many rums, falernums, or kooky accoutrements before, and I'm afraid I went a bit into the deep end. Like, so much so that my wife and I decided that one of the design criteria for the house we hope to buy in a few years is that it has to have a room which opens to the pool area that we can deck out in 100% tiki style. I'm gonna give Golden Tiki a run for their money.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

I'll usually do quarter cup of honey, tbsp or two of mustard, bunch of fresh rosemary, bit of black pepper, bit of lemon zest, 3-4 minced garlic, and some salt, then marinate the leg in that before roasting on a rack for 20 minutes at 450F before reudcing the heat to 350F until its done.

What's the typical minutes per pound? I'm going to use a meat thermometer to make sure it's perfect but an approximation of time helps with planning sides.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We've adjusted to our Vegas summer eating schedule, which means a nice frittata in the dark of the morning after the gym, and just light things throughout the day. However, because all of the tiki bars were closed, I became my very own tiki bar. I've never owned so many rums, falernums, or kooky accoutrements before, and I'm afraid I went a bit into the deep end. Like, so much so that my wife and I decided that one of the design criteria for the house we hope to buy in a few years is that it has to have a room which opens to the pool area that we can deck out in 100% tiki style. I'm gonna give Golden Tiki a run for their money.

I've been picking up a tiki habit as well. I made my own falernum a couple of weeks ago. It's surprisingly easy, took about a half hour plus a couple of days' worth of soak time. If you have a chance, stop by the Las Vegas Distillery. They make a 50% molasses/50% malt "Rumsky," and the barrel aged version was just bottled. It's a great mix of cane sweetness, barrel vanilla, and grainy funk and it goes really well in a lot of cocktails.

Tomorrow's Food Project is borscht with pork tongue, and some kind of apricot/plum tart. If I have time I'll try to make a couple of shrubs with the leftover fruit bits for more cocktail variety.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
After years of sort of dabbling with the tiki thing I finally fully took the plunge this summer as well. It helps that a brand new liquor store popped up that stocks many of the impossible to find rums in my stupid state. The Minimalist Tiki book helped as well, Beachbum Berry Remixed is fun but can be daunting to a beginner.

In other news in my haste I accidentally bought a big rear end jar of dried shallots when I meant to pick up fried shallots. I didn't read the label cause they looked right, I didn't know dried shallots was a thing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Human Tornada posted:

After years of sort of dabbling with the tiki thing I finally fully took the plunge this summer as well. It helps that a brand new liquor store popped up that stocks many of the impossible to find rums in my stupid state. The Minimalist Tiki book helped as well, Beachbum Berry Remixed is fun but can be daunting to a beginner.

In other news in my haste I accidentally bought a big rear end jar of dried shallots when I meant to pick up fried shallots. I didn't read the label cause they looked right, I didn't know dried shallots was a thing.

Obviously not what you wanted but still pretty useful for tossing into sauces and poo poo when you don't want to / can't chop onions

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Rythe posted:

What's the typical minutes per pound? I'm going to use a meat thermometer to make sure it's perfect but an approximation of time helps with planning sides.

Starting from 15 minutes per pound down to 12ish per pound if its more than 4? Maybe less? I don't tend to keep per pound roasting notes unless its something very large like a turkey or a ham because the times aren't consistent on smaller things.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Probably my 3rd or 4th attempt at making sausages. I'm getting the hang of it but still can't help but stuff them a little too tight. Left side North Thai herb sausages (Sai Ua), top right Mexican style red chorizo, bottom right Louisiana hot links.

mediaphage posted:

Obviously not what you wanted but still pretty useful for tossing into sauces and poo poo when you don't want to / can't chop onions

Cool I'll keep that in mind.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Wanna eat that sausage.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

bartolimu posted:

I've been picking up a tiki habit as well. I made my own falernum a couple of weeks ago. It's surprisingly easy, took about a half hour plus a couple of days' worth of soak time. If you have a chance, stop by the Las Vegas Distillery. They make a 50% molasses/50% malt "Rumsky," and the barrel aged version was just bottled. It's a great mix of cane sweetness, barrel vanilla, and grainy funk and it goes really well in a lot of cocktails.

Tomorrow's Food Project is borscht with pork tongue, and some kind of apricot/plum tart. If I have time I'll try to make a couple of shrubs with the leftover fruit bits for more cocktail variety.

I cant say I've ever cooked or had pork tongue. Is it like beef tongue where you have to par cook it to get the "skin" off, or does it come ready to cook? I braising the preferred cooking method, or can you treat it like any lean meat? I'm intrigued!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wanna eat that sausage.

Extremely same. I've been craving Lotus of Siam sai oua.

Eat This Glob posted:

I cant say I've ever cooked or had pork tongue. Is it like beef tongue where you have to par cook it to get the "skin" off, or does it come ready to cook? I braising the preferred cooking method, or can you treat it like any lean meat? I'm intrigued!

I haven't cooked with it before either. I'm treating it like beef tongue - I just took it out after 2.5 hours of boiling and it looks like it should peel well enough. We'll see when it's cool in an hour or so. Then, back into the pot with garlic, onion, beets, and celery for another couple of hours.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

bartolimu posted:

Extremely same. I've been craving Lotus of Siam sai oua.

I haven't cooked with it before either. I'm treating it like beef tongue - I just took it out after 2.5 hours of boiling and it looks like it should peel well enough. We'll see when it's cool in an hour or so. Then, back into the pot with garlic, onion, beets, and celery for another couple of hours.

Nice! Lemme know how it turns out, please. (Bovine) lengua is one of my favorite bits of meat, and I was surprised I had never heard of or considered pork tongue as a protein before.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Treating it like beef tongue was, more or less, the right thing to do. A two-hour simmer left it chewy but edible, and there was a skin on top of the tongue that was easily removed after cooling. There was some slightly more tough coating on the underside and sides of the tongue, but after chopping it and boiling for another hour it was completely edible and delicious. Also, I love borscht and should cook it more often.

The flavor is definitely porky, but there's a flavor I associate with beef tongue that exists there too. Basically it's a pork + lengua flavor profile and should be delicious in any context one or both of those work. Buy all the pork tongue. It's probably cheap as hell and definitely delicious.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

FYI if you run out of apple cider and apple juice, a good substitution is a bit of tea + lime juice + honey.

If you run out of* 12-inch cast iron skillets, a 10-inch is NOT a good substitution :v:

*AKA didn't read carefully

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BrianBoitano posted:

FYI if you run out of apple cider and apple juice, a good substitution is a bit of tea + lime juice + honey.

If you run out of* 12-inch cast iron skillets, a 10-inch is NOT a good substitution :v:

Bonus popovers

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

That Works posted:

Bonus plopovers

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

More CSA box + garden harvest soup:

More or less Taiwanese beef noodle soup, but the mushrooms aren't traditional but got thrown in there because I had a bunch and why not. That's a bunch of bok choy, chopped mustard greens, and onion scapes from the garden. The meat's short rib from the CSA. Noodles are homemade lo mein(-ish) 50% hydration 1% alkaline noodles. Stock is short rib, ginger, garlic, onion, tomato, douban jiang, lu bao, soy, Shaoxing, handful of random dried chilis.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

A hearty soup. Looks good.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah I'd still eat that. Is it a fig cake?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A hearty soup. Looks good.
Yeah. There are a lot of good foods, but spicy noodles are a mitzvah.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I asked GBS to make me a menu for the week for me to cook and it surprisingly turned out ok (albeit light on leafy greens and veggies). Going to maybe have to do some slight tweeks to make it a bit healthier but stoked to get it started. Baked ziti tonight !

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Yeah. There are a lot of good foods, but spicy noodles are a mitzvah.

You can bless me with your mitzvah any day. :wink:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hawkperson posted:

Yeah I'd still eat that. Is it a fig cake?

Yup, fig cornmeal coffee cake. I don't like figs but the pregnant wife does so we made that. I'm thinking a piece with a rum soak and whipped cream might change my mind, though!

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Is there a cook or die in the works?

If not I have an idea: meatballs!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Resting Lich Face posted:

Is there a cook or die in the works?

If not I have an idea: meatballs!

I second this emotion

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I've been making so many non-beef meatballs lately. My new favorite is ground chicken with tons of lemongrass and ginger. I've been tossing around the idea of doing them more as a quenelle just to get that ridiculously pillowy texture, but its been brutal at work the last two weeks and I just haven't had the energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There are a bunch of different kinds of vegetarian/vegan meatballs I've been wanting to try and this could be a fun opportunity..