Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Some hard mode observations:

Grenadiers can one-shot a minigunner before he ever comes into firing range. They can also defeat a dune buggy in a full health attrition battle and survive with a sliver of health.

A single minigunner can take out a light tank because no matter how many times you try to alt-click him he will like 95% of the time manage to walk out of the way.

Two mammoth tanks squaring off against one another will result in the enemy one surviving at around 40% health. This is probably similar for faceoffs between other identical units that don't do crazy burst damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Man picked this up a day or so ago off Humble Bundle and fired it up for the first time today.

Nostalgia wave like woah. The entire game is a modern remux of the original and I love it. Being able to switch between old/new graphics on the fly is also super fantastic.

On another note, the Music was always one of my favorite things from the original games and well, I extracted the music then, and I did it again now.

Then Spent some time labeling each file as when you pull it out its either just a generic Music####.wav file, or in another tools case, able to get a cryptic file name but of course I couldn't let that just stay that way.

Anyway the music is even more excellent since you get both the Classic and Remastered + Tiberian Son's versions added in, and a few Bonus tracks that you have to unlock by playing I believe.

I'd love to share but I am unsure how much the music is regarded as :filez: here even though you can go to YouTube and just listen to all of it there.

They must have a possible Red Alert 2 Remaster in the works as a few of the songs are from that game and were never part of the original C&C/RA afaik. Though that game also I believe got a patch to allow widescreen and other options recently I believe so it doesn't really need it as much as the classics did.

Also one thing I checked and noticed, they fixed the "Cheat/Bug" that allowed you to wind up a grenadier and then click way far on the map and have him chuck it all the way across the map. That's one sad fix for me. :(

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kin posted:

As an aside, was there ever a way discovered to roll back the Steam C&C3 version to unfuck the campaign difficulty?

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I would kill for this. I've been wanting to replay those campaigns for years.

There's no way to roll back the Steam version but this guy recently made a mod that backs out the economy changes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/commandand...tm_medium=web2x

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Fallom posted:

There's no way to roll back the Steam version but this guy recently made a mod that backs out the economy changes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/commandand...tm_medium=web2x

Thanks! I'll try that out.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Trying out Tiberium Essence mod for CnC3 now actually. Orcas with miniguns are all I ever wanted:(

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Vlex posted:

Seems like there's no reason at all to play on hard.

Considering the fact that the original C&C had only one difficulty level and was already hard enough as it is (especially the Covert Ops missions), hard difficulty in the remaster is purely for masochistic bragging rights as far as I'm concerned.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dandywalken posted:

Trying out Tiberium Essence mod for CnC3 now actually. Orcas with miniguns are all I ever wanted:(

Essence is great. I kinda dislike CNC3's visual style and the way they got rid of mechs so that mod is really my preferred way to play that game. Apparently the latest version is kinda buggy tho and most people play with 1.6, though that does mean no Forgotten faction.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

obese retard posted:

Considering the fact that the original C&C had only one difficulty level and was already hard enough as it is (especially the Covert Ops missions), hard difficulty in the remaster is purely for masochistic bragging rights as far as I'm concerned.

I tried hard on Tiberium Dawn and some of the tactics I used to try to beat them on Normal were a bit harder if not real bastards. No Base GDI and NOD missions will eat you alive if you are not careful.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also one thing I checked and noticed, they fixed the "Cheat/Bug" that allowed you to wind up a grenadier and then click way far on the map and have him chuck it all the way across the map. That's one sad fix for me. :(

Ahahaha I knew they would patch it out. It was a semi easy thing to do back in the day because for us we ran the game super slow due to the PCs we were running this on (And at 600x800 resolution at ~24fps) only the cool cats in my area knew of this glitch :smug:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I don't think GDI 9 is even beatable on Hard. You have to kill 2 turrets which tank almost as much continuous damage as the squad you're given to kill them is able to dish out, and even with the gun boats distracting them, they take too long to kill before they kill off too much of the squad. If that squad wipes, the mission is unwinnable because the AI doesn't need money to repair and airstrikes only damage them for about half of their health.

The most I've been able to do is kill one turret and most of the squad is down to 10-20% HP by then. Any grenadier dying is game over.

e: I guess you'd have to clear the entire north part of the map and then kill the turrets after airstriking them. Uggggh.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 9, 2020

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Okay I've beaten Blindsided twice now and neither counted as beaten in the mission select list nor unlocked the corresponding bonus in the gallery. The hell?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I'm really surprised this is getting a positive reaction; the game chugging on Allies mission 1 on my RTX 2070 was easily enough for me to refund, let alone the half-assed upgrades that seem to both remove the classic feel while also addressing none of the actual issuee; mainly the utterly dreadful AI.

Another in the Warcraft 3: Reforged pile for me, unfortunately.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Pararoid posted:

I'm really surprised this is getting a positive reaction; the game chugging on Allies mission 1 on my RTX 2070 was easily enough for me to refund, let alone the half-assed upgrades that seem to both remove the classic feel while also addressing none of the actual issuee; mainly the utterly dreadful AI.

Weird. I'm running it on a 1060 and I've had no such issues. That's unfortunate, I've really enjoyed it so far.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Pararoid posted:

Your computer is busted

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I am in the process of doing testing on the impact of the adjustments from hard difficulty. Even slight changes will have a big impact, confirming that it's overtuned.

I'll have screenshots a modified difficulty file and a conclusion when I'm done.

I am testing changes to rate of fire, firepower and armor as those are the three that impact things the most. I think 90% speed is likely fine instead of the 80% hard normally has. Should allow your infantry to actually avoid being squished.

axeil fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 9, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pararoid posted:

That's definitely a problem with your computer or hardware config. I've tried it on my main PC and a 4 year old laptop and it runs like a dream.

Not sure what you mean by classic feel. I assume you mean nostalgia.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Your computer is busted

Apparently it's a known bug; I'm just not on board for an early access experience with this 20something year old game that really doesn't add enough to justify that.

The music was cool though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It would be cool if Hard mode instead just made enemy units dirt cheap so they could swarm you instead of facing antifa supersoldiers. At least that's what I'd rather face, lol.

antifa supersoldiers is pressing the x key repeatedly as a tank tries to drive through a crowd

Pararoid posted:

:thunk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjZQZgeSMx8

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Lol mobius's explanation of Tiberium is complete nonsense and I love it

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

The potential for Tiberium? Is unlimited

Pararoid posted:

Apparently it's a known bug; I'm just not on board for an early access experience with this 20something year old game that really doesn't add enough to justify that.

The music was cool though.

If you want to refund the game its on you. But I would recommend looking into other means to help provide a playful expierence. Are you having FPS issues? Because this is somewhat alive and well and -can- be helped with installing on an SSD but my game is installed on a regular HD and runs just fine. What I am saying is you might be having underlying issues with your setup that you might have to look into deeper if you want to enjoy this game more.

Its a solid experience. Just wish I can push myself to completing Soviet and Allies now that I completed TD on normal.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Of course it is. He's on the equivalent of early morning television, you think they're going to go into details?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fallom posted:

Humvee is trademarked.

Are they still using the “Return to base immediately” clip from Paramount (Top Gun)?

Edit: yes I know trademark law is different than copyright. Just wondering how much lawyering is going on.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

EdEddnEddy posted:

They must have a possible Red Alert 2 Remaster in the works as a few of the songs are from that game and were never part of the original C&C/RA afaik.

Not necessarily, Red Alert Retaliation for the playstation had a remixed soundtrack that included some early versions of RA2 tracks (it at least had a hell march variant that is kind of a halfway point between 1+2). It could be from that.

But yeah they should ideally do this for TS and RA2 as well.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Pararoid posted:

My 1080 runs it fine and my 2080 runs it fine. As to the rest, well, maybe you should play with original graphics on hard mode :)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Disproportionation posted:

Not necessarily, Red Alert Retaliation for the playstation had a remixed soundtrack that included some early versions of RA2 tracks (it at least had a hell march variant that is kind of a halfway point between 1+2). It could be from that.

yeah, i've heard that version of hell march on the remaster

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Hard Difficulty Testing

This is a summary of the results of the testing I did tonight.

Procedure

1. Extract Data\CONFIG.MEG
2. Modify Data\XML\CNCRULES.XML for the following items, all of which are set so 1.0 is normal difficulty:

- Firepower: modifies damage human weapons do. Lower number = Less damage to AI units.
- Armor: modifies armor/hp for AI units. Higher number = Less damage to AI units.
- ROF: modifies rate of fire for AI units. Higher number = More damage to Human units.

3. I kept Groundspeed/Airspeed at 0.9 for all tests as that seems fast enough to avoid the AI always succeeding at squishing infantry
4. Re-insert the modified CNCRULES.XML file into CONFIG.MEG, making sure to delete the prior version before insertion and renaming the file path in the archive as appropriate
5. Boot GDI Mission 5 - Restoring Power on the Ukraine East variant
6. Send a single Medium Tank to engage the Small Tank to the west
7. Observe HP after combat

Results

Normal

Hard

I started with the base difficulties to give an idea of the range of results. As you can see, the tank in normal has ~50% HP after combat while on the default Hard difficulty the Light Tank actually beats the Medium Tank :stare:. That's clearly a bit too much, ideally we would get something in the 25-33% range.

Firepower Variation, Everything Else at 1.0

90% Firepower

80% Firepower

90% firepower doesn't vary things too much but you can see the tank taken down to approximately 1/3rd HP with firepower at only 80%.

Armor Variation, Everything Else at 1.0

110% Armor

120% Armor

Results actually look pretty similar between the two results with there being only maybe a one shot difference.

ROF Variation, Everything Else at 1.0

110% ROF

120% ROF

Again, no real variation between the two, these results look almost identical to the Armor ones.

Based on this I decided to set both ROF and Armor to 110 and test firepower.

Firepower 90%, Armor 110%, ROF 110%

This looks pretty close to our target of 1/3 to 25% health, but just to make sure let's try one more test.

Firepower 80%, Armor 110%, ROF 110%

This puts the tank in the red and maybe only 2-3 small tank hits from death which imo is too aggressive.

However, I do know there's a concern about not being able to kill things like the turrets across the river in that one GDI mission. So for one last test..

Firepower 90%, Armor 100%, ROF 110%

Wonderful. This looks to be almost exactly 1/3 and we haven't moved any of the three options into an extreme position that could have unforeseen consequences.

Conclusion
I recommend the following settings for a more "fair" Hard mode:

code:
				<Key>Hard</Key>
				<Value>
					<Firepower>0.9</Firepower>
					<Groundspeed>0.9</Groundspeed>
					<Airspeed>0.9</Airspeed>
					<BuildTime>1.0</BuildTime>
					<Armor>1.0</Armor>
					<ROF>1.1</ROF>
					<Cost>1.0</Cost>
					<RepairDelay>0.05</RepairDelay>
					<BuildDelay>0.1</BuildDelay>
					<BuildSlowdown>true</BuildSlowdown>
					<DestroyWalls>false</DestroyWalls>
					<ContentScan>false</ContentScan>
				</Value>
I am happy to provide a link to an updated package although I'm not sure if that's :filez:

I also would put this up on the Steam Workshop if anyone could tell me how exactly I would need to package this.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Strongly considering installing a Win7 dual-boot partition to play RA2 and TS. Lousy Windows removing native 16-bit color support since 8. :argh: (among probably other things that make them play wonky ever since 8)

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

FrickenMoron posted:

Great, I just wasted an hour on NOD 11 because YOU CANT GET ANY REINFORCEMENTS TO THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE MAP. I didn't even know I have units there before the goddamn AI airstriked the artilleries and everything else.

NOD 11a is much easier than 11b

The answer to GDI 9 is chinook + engineers

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 9, 2020

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

EdEddnEddy posted:

They must have a possible Red Alert 2 Remaster in the works as a few of the songs are from that game and were never part of the original C&C/RA afaik. Though that game also I believe got a patch to allow widescreen and other options recently I believe so it doesn't really need it as much as the classics did.

EA made a reddit post last year asking the community which songs should be remastered via a poll.

And then you have other cnc music because the Tiberian Sons playlist was franchise wide, the setlist they performed at magfest which EA then got them into a recording studio to put then in the game.

Once the physical copies ship I'm sure the music with correct filenames and song details will be uploaded, the whole soundtrack will be on a tiberium crystal USB stick.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Things I dislike.

No Autosave. I've grown so used to it, i quit a campaign 4 missions in and lost all my progress *facepalm*

The 3d cutscenes have been upscaled, but they kinda look rubbish.

Things I like.
Everything else.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm on GDI mission 13 but I still have a question about the ideal economy. I've found I need about two refineries and four harvesters to get a reliable stream of cash coming in BUT at the same time, on most maps by the time I've built all of those, along with enough units/defences to (just) fend off the enemy, I've all but exhausted my nearby tiberium fields, and it takes so drat long to regrow. I mostly hasn't been a problem, and I've been able to build enough tanks to steamroll, but am I essentially wasting my money on getting more money? Should I just be making a single refinery and then hunkering down as I slowly build, like, one tank per drop off?

E:Orcas have been a godsend though. Picking off attackers and turrets and blowing up harvesters without retribution.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

And that's the Nod campaign finished. Overall I'd say it's harder than the GDI campaign simply because you have a lot of missions without base building. Also air strikes range from annoying to whoops they hit your main force as you were building up. The final 2 nod missions definitely seemed easier than the final few GDI missions.

Time for some Covert Ops and dino missions.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

HardKase posted:

Things I dislike.

No Autosave. I've grown so used to it, i quit a campaign 4 missions in and lost all my progress *facepalm*

You should be able to go into the mission select menu and have all the missions unlocked up to the most recent one you're currently on. If you've played through four missions as you have stated and the mission select menu is empty then that's probably a bug.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

axeil posted:

I also would put this up on the Steam Workshop if anyone could tell me how exactly I would need to package this.

If you have either of the available Zoom mods, they seem to be structured in the same way you'd need for this. You'd just stick the full CNCRULES.INI into the Data\XML\ path - the JSON files will be generated by the upload program. Oh, and the uploader is here.

(Disclaimer: I am not a workshop expert)

HardKase posted:

You can quicksave with Ctrl + N. If you fail you need to go back to the menu and manually load it.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 9, 2020

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

HardKase posted:

Things I dislike.

The 3d cutscenes have been upscaled, but they kinda look rubbish.

Things I like.
Everything else.

Yea a lack of any autosave was always fun on the original games as well lol.

Also There is a "Patch" of sorts that gets RA2 and TS working perfectly on W10 64bit but I'll have to look at what it was again.

I installed it a while back then got busy but my game should still be patched and ready.

3440X1440 TS is pretty nuts.

I also didn't ralize they were releasing Physical copies of this Remaster. drat I might have saved and gotten that.

I got the Collectors edition of Red Alert 2 when it came out, pewter figurine of the Chrono Trooper and everything. Also the CD version of Yuri's Revenge is the best version as it has the voice overs for characters and the twin towers before they were pulled from the game campaign.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea a lack of any autosave was always fun on the original games as well lol.

Also There is a "Patch" of sorts that gets RA2 and TS working perfectly on W10 64bit but I'll have to look at what it was again.

I installed it a while back then got busy but my game should still be patched and ready.

3440X1440 TS is pretty nuts.

Please post it here when you find it, I'd love to try those!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Please post it here when you find it, I'd love to try those!

I believe this was the thread where I got the patch for TS and the other 2 in that post that got it all working.

The CNCNet bit has some added stuff but I will have to dink with it as I literally haven't touched TS since 2017 shortly after I got it working. I forgot I had it on my laptop not my desktop, so TS looks crazy good at 4K, but the videos play in the upper left corner in their original 640x480 or so res lol. At least everything works, the Menu works, and the game plays fullscreen and looks great just you have a good amount of screen to cover to pick things to build and whatnot.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
NOD mission 11 is fairly ugly but the 'A' variant is definitely the easier of the two

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
On normal, yeah.

On hard, I don't know if it's actually possible to kill the south shore turrets without airstriking them first, which means clearing the Nod base out first and not getting the chinook.

The base isn't too hard to hit with engineers after clearing out the defensive group since the con yard is on the opposite side of the Hand of Nod. It still takes forever since the turrets take a ridiculous amount of firepower just to punch through the repairing, and the AI cheats and will keep training infantry even if the harvester isn't harvesting. The south shore turrets are the problem.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 9, 2020

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

EdEddnEddy posted:

Then Spent some time labeling each file as when you pull it out its either just a generic Music####.wav file, or in another tools case, able to get a cryptic file name but of course I couldn't let that just stay that way.
Don't know what extractor you used but the tool from here extracted everything all appropirately named already:

Organized by game and type (Bonus/Classic/Remastered)

Disproportionation posted:

There's a couple of bonus RA2/TS tracks from the studio recordings of the Tiberian Sons (you can see Blow It Up, Brain Freeze, and Grinder in the screenshot above).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

OneEightHundred posted:

On normal, yeah.

On hard, I don't know if it's actually possible to kill the south shore turrets without airstriking them first, which means clearing the Nod base out first and not getting the chinook.

The base isn't too hard to hit with engineers after clearing out the defensive group since the con yard is on the opposite side of the Hand of Nod. It still takes forever since the turrets take a ridiculous amount of firepower just to punch through the repairing, and the AI cheats and will keep training infantry even if the harvester isn't harvesting. The south shore turrets are the problem.

hard is just hilariously broken as above.