Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Bob Morales posted:

This thing is nuts. There's goes my favorite cooking channel.

BA has a very diverse crew. Nobody can argue that. Sohla, Priya, Christina, Andy, Rick, Gaby....

Sure, Brad and Claire are the big stars and they're white, but the others are getting followings and are in more videos all the time.

Is it wrong that Rick makes tacos and Priya makes dosas? Would you rather have Morocco make the tacos when....rick could do it? Remember the episode where Claire made loving ribs in a loving oven? You think Claire can make good ribs or even throws down on ribs? I'm using my Jewish stereotype that she doesn't. Maybe I'm wrong.

People are complaining how the "brown people" aren't in videos with lots of views. Sorry that the few African food videos they have done don't get many hits. The food isn't that popular and people aren't interested in it. Not many people watch Amiels recipe videos either.

As far as they video pay goes, if they are doing videos for free, they need to fix their contracts or however they get paid. I'm guessing Brad gets paid a certain amount for an it's alive episode. Who knows. So if rick is getting paid a generic hourly rate or whatever his fees are, wherever he's shooting a video or testing recipes or however it works...it just sounds bad that they aren't getting paid "for videos". They aren't forcing them to stay there and do them for absolutely no pay.

Forcing AR to step down for a Halloween Party 16 years ago Is a bit of a stretch. Maybe he makes Puerto Rican jokes in his office. Who knows.

I also love how Carla/Molly/Claire/Brad all jumped on the train of not shooting any more videos until the others are paid for being in them...where the duck were you guys two or three years ago when they weren't getting paid? Stop acting like you give a poo poo. You didn't know? You guys are so full of loving poo poo.

holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Whalley posted:

Now let's hope they give a loving paycheck to someone non white

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This whole thing seems weird how it started with Sohla, like AR had it out for her, or he did some hosed up stuff to her. Harassed her or who knows what. Maybe some more stuff will come out in the future. I don't know where else he has worked so maybe other people will come out from his past, assuming he is a huge mean racist?

np19
Dec 25, 2016

Thom and the Heads posted:

This one. Americans by and large have issues discussing their wages with their coworkers and HR departments specifically dissuade people from doing so.

After my first merit review at my current job, I asked a coworker what they received in the way of an increase of their salary in comparison to me and they were dumbfounded that I would discuss such a thing in the office.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I wonder how many microaggressions there were like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUJzqChe3FQ&t=2105s

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Veskit posted:

This reads to me like you're saying of course you find it obvious in retrospect and not now that you're looking back it seems obvious.

Uhhh if you said I in retro find this all obvious then yeah i get it but it sounds like you're telling me that which is... lovely. Now that I read it it's hard to tell what you're getting at and I may have flew off the handle due to being black in america right now.

Just to be clear about this becsuse you mentioned gaslighting, what I am saying was that I was oblivious until now but it seems obvious when I look back at it with that in mind, I think I was actually agreeing with you

xtal fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 9, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

I can't quite figure out if the veiled contempt they have for Rappaport is real or not

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Now I want Sohla as EIC and Christina as her second in command. No time for bullshit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Grem posted:

I wonder how many microaggressions there were like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUJzqChe3FQ&t=2105s

WOW

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

xtal posted:

Just to be clear about this becsuse you mentioned gaslighting, what I am saying was that I was oblivious until now but it seems obvious when I look back at it with that in mind, I think I was actually agreeing with you

I think you did too?????

I’ll drop it and edit it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I will say that it was kinda weird when BA started the videos as a major push, most of them clearly had no clue what they were doing as TV personalities, and I recall Claire having a protracted contract dispute over all of the extra work from gourmet makes vs her previous baking videos.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

I will say that it was kinda weird when BA started the videos as a major push, most of them clearly had no clue what they were doing as TV personalities, and I recall Claire having a protracted contract dispute over all of the extra work from gourmet makes vs her previous baking videos.

Well that was kind of the charm, wasn't it? It wasn't practiced, poised TV personalities showing you how to cook and (usually) not using perfectly prepared swaps.

It's very skilled chefs trying stuff that's often out of their comfort zone which is a really cool and useful way to teach cooking in a broad sense, since that's a lot of what the target audience goes through in making normal dishes. You gently caress something up? Sprinkle a little sumac on it and have your very supportive squad tell you it's cool.

Knowing that this stuff was being done under duress and that they weren't being properly compensated or that the minorities were dissuaded from doing more experimental stuff, especially when that was the big draw of shows like It's Alive and Gourmet Makes, is pretty disheartening and actually makes watching old shows kinda tough now. That BA panel thing is legitimately cringe.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It was pretty obvious they weren’t well compensated since they don’t own their IP. Only buzzfeed was dumb enough to let them own that.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kim Justice posted:

Every Way to Make an Awful Argument in Favour of BA's Bullshit Racist Practices

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sohla would be better at gourmet makes than Claire. She's the only person there who can temper chocolate without loving it up or making 5 lbs of tempered chocolate for 6 mints

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

more falafel please posted:

making 5 lbs of tempered chocolate for 6 mints

I loved that part, it was malicious compliance made chocolate flesh.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah that’s a big social taboo in America. It shouldn’t be.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Sohla would be better at gourmet makes than Claire. She's the only person there who can temper chocolate without loving it up or making 5 lbs of tempered chocolate for 6 mints

The point of Gourmet Makes Is watching Claire gently caress up tho

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i took a coworker out to lunch early on in our current employment. we have the same title, were hired the same day, and have similar responsibilities. he, saying he was left leaning, started asking about my boss vs his boss and whatnot. i asked what he was being paid and he froze. it took him 6 weeks of getting to know me to tell me what his salary was. it was the same as mine. americans are conditioned to "not talk about money" because "it's rude." it is the only time in my professional life I've learned what a coworker made compared to me

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Steve Yun posted:

The point of Gourmet Makes Is watching Claire gently caress up tho

I've rewatched a bunch recently where she has to cook sugar (starburst, mentos) and she constantly overshoots her temps and wonders why it sets up hard. "Ok, I just want to take this to 260, it was at 270 last time and it was too hard" "oh no this is at 285. It's fine." "Why won't it pull?"

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I've rewatched a bunch recently where she has to cook sugar (starburst, mentos) and she constantly overshoots her temps and wonders why it sets up hard. "Ok, I just want to take this to 260, it was at 270 last time and it was too hard" "oh no this is at 285. It's fine." "Why won't it pull?"

That and the chocolate tempering thing always bother me about Claire. Is it unreasonable of me to expect a pastry chef to know how to temper chocolate and boil sugar?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Or loving work a sous vide

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

I just read this article/interview with Sohla, and goddamn.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/skbaer/bon-appetit-adam-rapoport-brown-face-racism

quote:

Soon after the image started circulating on social media, Rapoport called a staff-wide Zoom meeting to apologize, Sohla El-Waylly, an assistant food editor at Bon Appétit, told BuzzFeed News.

El-Waylly said she was disappointed with his apology and asked him to resign during the meeting.

"It just made me really angry because he just he doesn't understand what he did and the way that they continually treat the people of color on staff," El-Waylly said.

After the meeting, El-Waylly wrote about the racial discrimination she's experienced while working at Bon Appétit in a series of Instagram stories, saying that she has been "pushed in front of video as a display of diversity" and, unlike her white colleagues, has not been compensated for appearances in the magazine's popular videos on YouTube.

"I feel like they just like hide what's really happening behind the brown faces," El-Waylly told BuzzFeed News. "Behind the scenes, we're not being treated the same way. We don't have the same voice or pay."

Last August, she was sent on assignment to Philadelphia, for a feature with three Black chefs, but because the publication "doesn't have a great history of working with Black chefs," the chefs asked to work with all Black staff, El-Waylly said.

"There was no one on the food team that was Black, so they sent me instead because I'm the darkest one," she said, adding that neither she nor the chefs were given a heads up about the situation. "I arrived and I wasn't Black, and it was very strange for everyone involved."

Over the past 10 months, El-Waylly has repeatedly appeared in videos on Bon Appétit's YouTube channel, working on her own recipe videos as well as pilots for series. Throughout, she said she has asked to be compensated for the videos, which staffers are paid for separately through contracts with Condé Nast Entertainment, but it wasn't until after her social media posts on Monday that she was offered a contract.

"Their reasoning for it was always that the people who have contracts are the people who have series, like shows, but all those people who have shows are white and [Condé Nast Entertainment are] the ones who decide who has a show," she said, adding that some of her other colleagues who are people of color also do not have contracts despite appearing in the YouTube videos.

El-Waylly said Rapoport raised her salary to $60,000 a year this May after she complained that her pay didn't reflect the work she was doing, adding that she has been angry about how she's been treated for months.

"I was just too angry to not say anything," El-Waylly said when asked why she decided to speak out now. "I was thinking about posting a message like this before ... but [the photo] just made me feel like, why not? I don't owe these people anything. They haven't treated me well, so gently caress it."

El-Waylly said she was surprised by the support from her colleagues as well as the love from fans of the brand, saying that, "Bon Appétit has made me feel like no one cares about me there."

"I really didn't think the public cared about me, so I feel really supported," she said.

Moving forward, she hopes Condé Nast fills the editor-in-chief position with a person of color. El-Waylly said she and her colleagues also plan to share information about their contracts and salaries to make sure everyone is treated fairly.

"We can’t let Condé Nast off the hook, and the whole team is going to keep putting pressure on them," she said.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
God drat it. Why BA? I thought you were cool...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

quote:

I don't owe these people anything. They haven't treated me well, so gently caress it.

:bisonyes:

I've always been put off by the big pmc energy most of the ppl on BA have, so I'm quite enjoying this.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Resting Lich Face posted:

All companies are bad we shoulda seen this coming. But the chefs are good all of them (so far?) I enjoy all of them and all the videos they do.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

All companies are bad we shoulda seen this coming. But the chefs are good all of them (so far?) I enjoy all of them and all the videos they do.

Doesn't surprise me chefs are into solidarity. Food service sucks. Even if you're someone lucky to be a minor celebrity chef you did your time and know what it's like on the line.

But man... I liked a lot of the content...

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Sogla is just a loving wrecking ball of awesome.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sohla completely kicks rear end, and fortunately there's a lot of solace to take in the situation where the problem is with management and corporate horseshit rather than any of the actual talent.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

It’s depressing that she got interviewed by GQ (also Conde Nast) a while back where she said she was pigeonholed into the type of food she was expected to make. Then gets hired by BA and the same poo poo happens.

This is one of those things where as a white person, you don’t notice it (or at least I didn’t and I feel bad about it). Then someone points it out and of loving course, it’s blindingly obvious in hindsight.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Colonel's secret blend of 11 racisms and bigotries

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doesn't surprise me chefs are into solidarity. Food service sucks. Even if you're someone lucky to be a minor celebrity chef you did your time and know what it's like on the line.

But man... I liked a lot of the content...

I remember watching from the mid way point. Youtube always had BA videos on trending. Ignored it at first but just got curious one time. Clicked a video (its alive with Brad) and i was into it and kept watching and enjoying it. Watching chefs (normal people reallly) get put infront of a camera be awkward; because who wouldn't be? Eventually they got comfortable and you could see peoples personalities really come to light. It was wholesome and fun!

I still enjoy all the content even the at home stuff. You see more into the lives of your fav chefs but now it just feels...off. Like knowing what we know now? Certain past videos kind of come across different...Sohlas introduction? Where she barely talked at all? Now it seems obvious she was put there for some reason besides her skills. Even though, i believe, it was stated Chris was one of the ones who advocated for her to get hired. I'm sure as a professional and not for this youtube life. Im gald she fell into her own and really became a great personality in the kitchen. But all that said, drat dude. Totally didny see it. Right infront of out eyes. Real bummer.

Well, poo poo, salary or not. Id be down to watch some youtube videos of all the chefs if they wanted to go separate ways! I already watch Munchies and a few other cooking shows. Why not a few more ?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We regret to inform you the duck is racist

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I like George Motz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAA1jJ0YzuA

Please don't get milkshaked, Motz :ohdear:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Guga Foods is cool.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Trabant posted:

I like George Motz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAA1jJ0YzuA

Please don't get milkshaked, Motz :ohdear:

Motz getting his own show while in quarantine and having his family be the crew is pretty entertaining

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I feel like quarantine has only exacerbated Motz' manic energy, and I'm here for it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
With all the BA poo poo, that leaves Pasta Grannies as the only good food-related video media.

Please change the thread title to Pasta Grannies Appreciation Station.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

This dude annoys the poo poo out of me.

Mostly his waste of meat videos.

Doom Rooster posted:

With all the BA poo poo, that leaves Pasta Grannies as the only good food-related video media.

Please change the thread title to Pasta Grannies Appreciation Station.

No love for Life of Boris?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbS0HkS8Xsorrdr3pPk4lP80tUAzfyxP1

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What about Chef John? Is he still cool? :ohdear: