Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Bought some Prairie Gin, it is deliciously floral on the nose and makes an amazing gin and tonic. Also made a martini with a vermouth, Boisierre or something like that, and I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Any interesting bitters I could mix with straight fizzy water to make a zero-cal drink?

I picked up one of the big honkin' bottles of ango a while back for this very purpose.

As for more esoteric mixes, Bittermens tiki bitters are pretty good for this.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Professor Shark posted:

Any idea on how to use these Mrs. Better's Tonic Bitters?

It looks like it's quinine and spices? Can you OD on quinine? I'd like to make G&T's with soda water and very few calories

Ya, look up "chinchonism". You generally have to consume pretty extreme amounts, though. I would probably whip up a pre-mixed syrup using your alternative sweetener of choice and this stuff (play around with ratios till you got it to your taste) so you could put a measure of that, jigger of gin, and top with fizzy water for low effort/low cal G&T's. Hell, you could even add the gin ahead of time - it would probably improve the stability in the fridge - so you could have a "just add fizzy water" situation for G&T's.

CleverHans fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 29, 2020

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

There's no way there's enough chinchona in that bottle to induce chinchonism, the TTB has rules about how much is allowed to be used in something to be consumed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

poo poo, big slam out of nowhere

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

"I tried putting tonic syrup in my coffee so you don't have to. It was interesting but very bad flavor, not recommended"

...is what I would have said if I weren't afraid of a good VC opportunity. Step right up and try the latest weight loss coffee fad, Cure-all Coffee! $10 a cup

BrianBoitano posted:

Ascorbic would be even better antioxidant without impacting flavor as much. Slightly bitter but basically no tartness. I bought a kilo on a whim which is way too much, so I'm willing to send a baggy free to any cocktail goons want to try some. Same offer for malic acid, which is sour apple & what differentiates lime from lemon. I'm playing with making different sodas for easy highballs and zero-proof drinks.

Whether bags of white powder actually make it to you is between god and the post office though!

Last day for this if you want some, want to send batches all out tomorrow with the mail.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If I wanted to make a gin cocktail but without gin (ie, zero proof), what could I use? Some sort of tea maybe?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

PRADA SLUT posted:

If I wanted to make a gin cocktail but without gin (ie, zero proof), what could I use? Some sort of tea maybe?

Seedlip is pricey but has some very nice flavors

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My favorite thing in Seltzer is a splash of Campari. Slightly more calories than 0 though.

I keep getting facebook ads for Ritual Gin Alternative. Seems like what you're talking about. Not planning on getting any.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 4, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ritual is good. SandwichAnarchist bought some and it doesn't taste like gin by itself but a gin cocktail made with it will taste effectively the same as if you made it with real gin.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
While we’re on the topic of adding bitters to non-alcoholic drinks, angosturra bitters (or better yet, Fee Brothers Old Fashioned Bitters,) to diet coke makes it taste like full sugar coke. Adding it to full sugar coke makes it taste closer to an artisan cola.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Similarly, chicory pecan bitters makes coffee taste more like coffee.

Question: I know a great deal of recipes can benefit from a drop of saline. Would it make sense to just do the math and create combined saline + simple syrup? I know it's probably even better to titrate to taste for each, but since the difference between one drop of saline and 2 is so big I'd think you could get away with it.

Math would be such that for every 1 oz simple you'd get a drop of saline equivalent, but might need some tweaking to get it right. Maybe this doesn't work because it wouldn't stay evenly mixed in the squeeze bottle?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
No, I think it'd stay homogenous, I just think you'd be better off controlling sugar and salt separately. It does kind of seem like the sort of thing a hot new bar would do and then punch.com would do an article about Why All The Drinks At BrianBoitano's Taste So drat Good, though.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Similarly, chicory pecan bitters makes coffee taste more like coffee.

Question: I know a great deal of recipes can benefit from a drop of saline. Would it make sense to just do the math and create combined saline + simple syrup? I know it's probably even better to titrate to taste for each, but since the difference between one drop of saline and 2 is so big I'd think you could get away with it.

Sure but the amount of salt you use in cocktails isn't fixed. Different drinks do better with different amounts, so now you have a salt simple that only works in drinks where you want exactly that much salt snd you need to have a separate simple for when you don't want salt.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone tried either of these NC gins?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What can I do with Tuica?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If you mean Tuaca, I put it in a thing with dark rum and peach juice earlier today and it was quite nice.

If you mean Tuca and/or Bertie, you can look forward to it appearing for a second season on Adult Swim

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Romanian plum moonshine

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Looks like a pretty standard plum brandy that can be pretty crazily high-proof sometimes. Like palinka but without the ABV requirement and made from plums only, I guess? It might spritz nicely with a blanc vermouth and something bitter and orangey, plus seltzer and citrus zest.

Those weird fruit brandies from eastern Europe are mostly suited for drinking straight, ice cold, and frowning all the while.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
"Pairs well with blood sausage and intense anti-gypsy racism"

For real though, any sort of standard sour build would probably work OK*:

The Susina Sour

The Slivopolitan

*With reduction in quantity / additional dilution if it is rocket fuel strength.

CleverHans fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 7, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Does anyone here like rum old fashioneds? I like them in concept, but in execution I’ve never made one and preferred it over the straight spirit by comparison. Last night I tried the latin quarter, Death & Co’s rum treatment of a sazerac, and that didn’t really sway me either.

By contrast, I made their Chinese fizz as well, and despite having many other ingredients in it, it foregrounds dark Jamaican rum very nicely.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

prayer group posted:

No, I think it'd stay homogenous, I just think you'd be better off controlling sugar and salt separately.

I'm sure this is the actual right answer, but...

Fart Car '97 posted:

Sure but the amount of salt you use in cocktails isn't fixed. Different drinks do better with different amounts, so now you have a salt simple that only works in drinks where you want exactly that much salt snd you need to have a separate simple for when you don't want salt.

Right, so my question is when do you not want any salt at all? I assumed it was like food where some small amount of salt is always better than none, but if there's a style of drink where that's not true I will abandon my simplification.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Does anyone here like rum old fashioneds?

Hell yeah, but then again I don't like most liquor neat or rocks only, so probably a different strokes situation. I also always adjust to taste so I don't know my ratios.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Right, so my question is when do you not want any salt at all? I assumed it was like food where some small amount of salt is always better than none, but if there's a style of drink where that's not true I will abandon my simplification.

There are plenty of cocktails that don't benefit from salt. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules for when you do or don't want salt in a drink, it's just something you learn by tasting as you go.

My point is, even if there WAS a rule, you wouldn't actually be simplifying anything by pre-salting a simple because you'd still need both non-salt simple and salt tincture on hand to adjust each drink. You'd just be adding a 3rd ingredient to have around, which is kind of the opposite of simplifying.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Does anyone here like rum old fashioneds? I like them in concept, but in execution I’ve never made one and preferred it over the straight spirit by comparison. Last night I tried the latin quarter, Death & Co’s rum treatment of a sazerac, and that didn’t really sway me either.

By contrast, I made their Chinese fizz as well, and despite having many other ingredients in it, it foregrounds dark Jamaican rum very nicely.

I pretty much always prefer a rum old fashioned over a whiskey one. They definitely benefit from using demerara syrup instead of white sugar simple. And use a good rum, too -- whatever that dark Jamaican rum you have is will probably work well.

Regarding salting cocktails and rules regarding such, I'm not sure I've ever had a stirred drink that I thought needed salt. Maybe that's worth trying, though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Anonymous Robot posted:

I drank them all the time in Puerto Rico. As the above poster stated, Demerara syrup is a must and I use a dash of solerno. I also like to use a less sweet rum, like Ron del Barrilito 3 star or Plantation OFTD and something like Bittercube Blackstrap Bitters.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I currently have a bottle of Plantation 12 year and Appleton Estate Rare Blend. Am I correct to think that any time a recipe calls for “dark rum,” that means the Appleton? It seems the Plantation’s cocktail application is pretty limited; everything is either young rum or “dark/dark Jamaican”.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's also best to go with a rum that's very intense out of the bottle. Smith and Cross and Lemon Hart 151 make wonderful old fashioneds.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

I currently have a bottle of Plantation 12 year and Appleton Estate Rare Blend. Am I correct to think that any time a recipe calls for “dark rum,” that means the Appleton? It seems the Plantation’s cocktail application is pretty limited; everything is either young rum or “dark/dark Jamaican”.

Which plantation 12 year? There are a few. Appleton is a safe bet for dark rum, but there are plenty of recipes out there that call for Dark Rum but meat a rum more like Cruzan or Meyers than Appleton. Unfortunately "Dark Rum" doesn't really have any single definition and is a holdover from a different era or drink making.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Which plantation 12 year? There are a few. Appleton is a safe bet for dark rum, but there are plenty of recipes out there that call for Dark Rum but meat a rum more like Cruzan or Meyers than Appleton. Unfortunately "Dark Rum" doesn't really have any single definition and is a holdover from a different era or drink making.

Actually, I was mistaken. What I have is Flor de Caña 12 yr.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Fun times. I picked a bunch of spruce tips and made a 1:1 simple syrup and steeped them. It made a nice sweet lemony lightly pine flavored syrup. My first drink was

2 oz gin, I used a dry gin
.5 oz syrup
Orange bitters
Absinthe spray
Expressed orange peel and garnish

It came out good but a little sweet. I don’t want to add anything like Campari because I’m not looking for a sweetened Negroni-style cocktail for this.

Any ideas to add? All I can think of is cardamaro or amaro nonino to add complexity but the spruce is subtle and I don’t want to over power the gin. Maybe gin isn’t the spirit to use here?

Any ideas?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Maybe zirbenz? Or genepy?

Something like
2 gin
.5 alpine spirit
.25 syrup
Bitters
Absinthe rinse

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Seconding genepy, seems like a perfect application for it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

The Bandit posted:

Maybe zirbenz? Or genepy?

Something like
2 gin
.5 alpine spirit
.25 syrup
Bitters
Absinthe rinse

Sounds perfect thanks for the tip. Time to track down a bottle

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've been shaking gin, lime, and grapefruit bitters with mint to make a very delicious, cool cocktail lately.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Earlier in the thread we discussed improving orange juice by elevating the acidity to the level of like juice. I have all the ingredients to do so now, but I’m wondering, does that “improvement” extend to tiki drinks where there’s, say, two ounces of orange juice?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Earlier in the thread we discussed improving orange juice by elevating the acidity to the level of like juice. I have all the ingredients to do so now, but I’m wondering, does that “improvement” extend to tiki drinks where there’s, say, two ounces of orange juice?

It isn't improving, it's changing. You can acid adjust the juice to get it to a higher acidity level to sub it for other juices in certain applications, like an orange daiquiri for instance. Unedited OJ absolutely has it's place, and if you just sub out acid adjusted OJ in place of normal, you will have a sour and unbalanced drink.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Does anyone have a preferred sherry for cobblers and the like? There's a lot of different types and I don't know enough to know which is good enough for mixing but not so good it's a waste of product.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Like, brands? There are a lot, and availability changes based on where you're located. Hartley and Gibson is easily found around here and a split base of their manzanilla and amontillado works great in a cobbler.

Sherry is cheap enough that the really cheap stuff is still good and the upscale stuff isn't so much so to keep you from putting it in a drink.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Well having a go to brand would be nice, but was thinking more that I don't really know when to use amontialldo vs cream etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Well that's an easier question. Roughly speaking, sherries from lightest (both in color and in weight) to darkest are fino, manzanilla, amontillado, oloroso, cream. Of course there is a huge amount of diversity in styles and people do all kinds of stuff but that's generally accurate.

Fino and manzanilla are easy swap-ins for lighter-colored aperitifs or vermouths, but be aware that it'll reduce your overall amount of sugar quite a bit. Sherry is much drier than people assume, and only cream sherry has any appreciable amount of sugar. I also like to add fino to daiquiris or gimlets as a partial substitute for the base spirit and add a little salt to complement the fino's saline qualities.

Amontillado and oloroso are often pretty interchangeable, and if you had me blind-taste a few different brands of the two I'm not sure I could pick them apart. They can come in place of sweet vermouth and stuff like that. Great with whiskey, great with mezcal, great with apple brandy.

Cream sherry still doesn't have as much sugar as a sweet vermouth, but make a 2:1 Manhattan with a half-ounce each of sweet vermouth and cream sherry and it's like turning the bass up on the cocktail. Also just fantastic as a two-ounce pour with dessert.