Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Amethyst posted:

We've basically been living in a US vassal state all our lives. I'm trying to imagine what it's going to be like living in a Chinese vassal state. "Worse" is my main conclusion.

As opposed to now where we have a bright future to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

bell jar posted:

No, I don't work for the public service :smuggo:

sucks that In This Economy the main choices are to work to enrich capitalists and reinforce colonialism or work to reinforce colonialism and enrich capitalists

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cartoon posted:

I'm moderately racist according to the test.

The test is basically an adhd training exercise, and you'll probably do poorly if you have bad working memory and processing speed.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

As opposed to now where we have a bright future to look forward to.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this post. Are you saying you don't expect much substantive difference between US vassalage and Chinese vassalage?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

A travel advisory against coming to Australia due to racism, and a rise in racism, is a fair cop.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Amethyst posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this post. Are you saying you don't expect much substantive difference between US vassalage and Chinese vassalage?

I'm sure there's a difference, I'm not happier with either choice though.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tokamak posted:

The test is basically an adhd training exercise, and you'll probably do poorly if you have bad working memory and processing speed.

I’m pretty sure I took that test like I played street fighter as a kid. Just mash them keys.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Tokamak posted:

Yeah, I changed the way I was processing each association part way through the test which would make it differ in each part, and could game the system to get the result I wanted. Doesn't seem particularly valid to me, but I don't know if they have any way of accounting for that in mass results.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I'm sure there's a difference, I'm not happier with either choice though.

You say that now lol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Truly the barbarians are at our gates, we better sign up for whatever hair-brained proxy war the USA is planning.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Truly the barbarians are at our gates, we better sign up for whatever hair-brained proxy war the USA is planning.

Why

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Can you try talking about this is terms other than the stupid cartoon that is continually looping in your head? Australia has barely any agency in this geopolitical nightmare. I'm trying to understand how this will impact us (and by "this", to be clear, I mean CCP dominance of our government)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Amethyst posted:

Can you try talking about this is terms other than the stupid cartoon that is continually looping in your head? Australia has barely any agency in this geopolitical nightmare. I'm trying to understand how this will impact us (and by "this", to be clear, I mean CCP dominance of our government)

The lesser evil is still very loving evil.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

Probably the best thing to look at are countries that are under the Chinese economic sphere of influence already. It seems to be mostly poor/developing nations at the moment but it looks like large investments in infrastructure in exchange for access to fisheries/fossil fuels/military bases.

I think you're worried over nothing because Australia is going to remain glued to the US no matter what.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

Probably the best thing to look at are countries that are under the Chinese economic sphere of influence already. It seems to be mostly poor/developing nations at the moment but it looks like large investments in infrastructure in exchange for access to fisheries/fossil fuels/military bases.

I think you're worried over nothing because Australia is going to remain glued to the US no matter what.

Remaining glued to the US over China may be even more worrying than the alternative though, which is why I'm trying to think about what both scenarios look like. The CCP are already using us as an example by imposing penalties which will impact all of us for years.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Idk if signing up with the dictator nation is a good idea

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

JBP posted:

Idk if signing up with the dictator nation is a good idea
Probably should have though of that before making the entire economy dependent on a dictator nation, then

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

A few months ago some Australian Members of Parliament marched in Hong Kong in support of the protestors there. I strongly doubt that will ever happen again

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Amethyst posted:

Probably should have though of that before making the entire economy dependent on a dictator nation, then

I think everyone was racist enough to think that China would always be a cheap labour camp rather than using all that money and centralised command structure to financially conquer Asia.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

JBP posted:

I think everyone was racist enough to think that China would always be a cheap labour camp rather than using all that money and centralised command structure to financially conquer Asia.

I also think that after the collapse of the soviet union people assumed liberal democracy would spread naturally across the globe because it's a perfect ideology and that the CCPcan be as oppressive as they want it's only a matter of time before they decide that totalitarianism is for losers and revert to their natural liberal state once they get a taste of television and cheese. Laughable now but I believe this is literally what happened.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Amethyst posted:

I also think that after the collapse of the soviet union people assumed liberal democracy would spread naturally across the globe because it's a perfect ideology and that the CCPcan be as oppressive as they want it's only a matter of time before they decide that totalitarianism is for losers and revert to their natural liberal state once they get a taste of television and cheese. Laughable now but I believe this is literally what happened.

"Spread naturally"

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

"Spread naturally"

can you please stop with this stock amerikka poo poo. thanks

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

America is plenty fine with dictatorships.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

America is plenty fine with dictatorships.

Incredible stuff. Guess we shouldn't discuss the CCP any further. Thanks

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

DId anyone play Valve's Artifact? It was designed in a way that made every deck play exactly like a MTG Blue Control Deck, the most fun deck to play against. Everyone loved it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

A travel advisory against coming to Australia due to racism, and a rise in racism, is a fair cop.

Nah it's a sulky tit-for-tat from a glass-jawed state because of our recent diplomatic stoushes, which in any case is a moot point because nobody is travelling to Australia any time in the near future

Amethyst posted:

There was also a notion that the internet would naturally lead to freedom and democracy because the Chinese government would be unable to control it, which is even more laughable now. John Lanchester had a good piece on it in the LRB last year:

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v41/n19/john-lanchester/document-number-nine

Instead it's using internet technology to become ever-more autocratic, which you're right to be worried about and is one of the reasons people who claim "America is just as bad" are wrong and dumb:

quote:

Put all this together. Imagine a place in which there’s a police post every hundred metres, and tens of thousands of cameras linked to a state-run facial recognition system; where people are forced to have police-owned GPS systems in their cars, and you can buy petrol only after having your face scanned; where all mobile phones have a state app on them to monitor their activity and prevent access to ‘damaging information’; where religious activity is monitored; where the state knows whether you have family and friends abroad, and where the government offers free health clinics as a way of getting your fingerprint and iris scan and samples of your DNA. Strittmatter points out that you don’t need to imagine this place, because it exists: that’s life in Xinjiang for the minority population of Muslim Uighurs.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Tokamak posted:

But it measures the difference in speed between the various tests, not your overall speed. It doesnt matter if you are 0.2 seconds slower than everyone else, it matters what specific tests you are slower and faster on.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Implicit bias is like myers-briggs in terms of behavioral predictive power and corporate adoption.

It's bunk scientific racism but from the other side of the ideological spectrum

https://replicationindex.com/category/implicit-bias/

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

freebooter posted:

Nah it's a sulky tit-for-tat from a glass-jawed state because of our recent diplomatic stoushes, which in any case is a moot point because nobody is travelling to Australia any time in the near future

There was also a notion that the internet would naturally lead to freedom and democracy because the Chinese government would be unable to control it, which is even more laughable now. John Lanchester had a good piece on it in the LRB last year:

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v41/n19/john-lanchester/document-number-nine

Instead it's using internet technology to become ever-more autocratic, which you're right to be worried about and is one of the reasons people who claim "America is just as bad" are wrong and dumb:

THanks for the link, I'll read it over the next several hours while flicking between tabs like a goldfish

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Apparently there's people out there who want to bring back unpasteurised milk.

This whole thing is so unbelievably stupid and I'm angry about it.

Pasteurised milk is safe milk. There's a risk of the milk containing pathogens before it's even left the fuckin cow, why would anyone want to roll the dice?

Edit: Also it's sold as "bath milk". Who the hell wants to wash themselves with something potentially riddled with e. coli and who knows what other nasty bacteria? If you want to act like royalty, buy a fuckin coat from some fancy designer, not bathe in fuckin milk and catch something doctors only normally see in medical textbooks. And definitely don't drink it.

froglet fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 9, 2020

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

All the dumbest conspiracy theories are getting more popular, or at least louder.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Zuckerberg is literally okay with holocaust denial so you can extrapolate from there.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I want to bring back unpasteurised milk so I can have brie and camembert that don't taste like loving garbage.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HazCat posted:

I want to bring back unpasteurised milk so I can have brie and camembert that don't taste like loving garbage.

raw milk for cheesemaking is allowed in Australia again, I think the accreditation process is pretty tough though

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Unpasteurised milk is fine providing you drink it basically straight out of the cow. It doesn't keep at all.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Raw milk cheese is already legal. My deli stocks it.

It isn't really safe though lol. France, where it's very common to eat raw milk cheese, has significantly higher deaths and misscarriages as a result of listeria infection. Tastes good though

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Tomberforce posted:

Unpasteurised milk is fine providing you drink it basically straight out of the cow. It doesn't keep at all.

Yeah if you live on the farm odds are it'll be fine. The moment machinery, storage and transport is introduced the risk goes up exponentially.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

froglet posted:

Apparently there's people out there who want to bring back unpasteurised milk.

This whole thing is so unbelievably stupid and I'm angry about it.

Pasteurised milk is safe milk. There's a risk of the milk containing pathogens before it's even left the fuckin cow, why would anyone want to roll the dice?

Edit: Also it's sold as "bath milk". Who the hell wants to wash themselves with something potentially riddled with e. coli and who knows what other nasty bacteria? If you want to act like royalty, buy a fuckin coat from some fancy designer, not bathe in fuckin milk and catch something doctors only normally see in medical textbooks. And definitely don't drink it.

Its sold as bath milk to get around the legality of selling raw milk. No one is bathing in it.

The same way that synthetic marijuana was sold as 'incense' with big labels saying not to smoke it, "bath" milk is sold with a warning not to drink it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

Remaining glued to the US over China may be even more worrying than the alternative though, which is why I'm trying to think about what both scenarios look like. The CCP are already using us as an example by imposing penalties which will impact all of us for years.

Yeah I wasn't making any judgement on us staying glued, just observing that it's unified Lib/Lab policy and any movement otherwise would have the racists screaming from the rooftops (as well as the entirety of the media).

Honestly reducing our import requirement from China/Overseas would be a good thing, because we'd be producing more at home (more jobs) as well as reducing international freight travel, which given a 2050 decarbonisation, we really really need to get onto. So while consumer electronics prices may go up short term, it may result in them going up a lot less long term (when carbon finally rationalises into prices).

EDIT: I'm not an economist at all, so take with a big grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

hooman posted:

Yeah I wasn't making any judgement on us staying glued, just observing that it's unified Lib/Lab policy and any movement otherwise would have the racists screaming from the rooftops (as well as the entirety of the media).

Honestly reducing our import requirement from China/Overseas would be a good thing, because we'd be producing more at home (more jobs) as well as reducing international freight travel, which given a 2050 decarbonisation, we really really need to get onto. So while consumer electronics prices may go up short term, it may result in them going up a lot less long term (when carbon finally rationalises into prices).

EDIT: I'm not an economist at all, so take with a big grain of salt.

mate if you were an economist I'd take it with an even bigger grain of salt.