Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

There are statues of Cromwell in Ireland?!?!??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Samovar posted:

There are statues of Cromwell in Ireland?!?!??

There are irish in the UK

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

el dingo posted:

There are irish in the UK

What!? Is this true?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, we'll see what happens if Brexit goes through

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

zoux posted:

Well, we'll see what happens if Brexit goes through

LOL I totally forgot about that...2020 has been the year of epic self owns.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

I couldn’t get past the first few episodes, it was pretty awful. I’ve been promised it actually gets good at some point though?
It's kinda designed that way. You're supposed to hate these oblivious upper-class fuckers. As it progresses they come down and become human.

mysterious frankie posted:

That was my experience too. It might pick up- and now’s the time to find out if someone can give me an episode to force my way to where it gets good- but what little I saw played out like a famous father using celebrity to help his beloved but mediocre son get a show made.
The show was dirt-cheap Canadian fare. And my understanding is that the show helped restore Eugene Levy's reputation after being "the American Pie dad" for so long. I think it was mostly his son making it happen and writing.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qblmdmlbL11yflpxa.mp4

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

BonHair posted:

I thought Earthsea was just cool and good feminist fantasy way before it was cool?

e: am dumb, was thinking of another series

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

420 nice it

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

ChickenWing posted:

e: am dumb, was thinking of another series
Pern or something?

But AFAIK Ursula Le Guin has always been amazing.

Also not to distract from memes, but NK Jemisin and Ann Leckie are fantasy/scifi authors people need to pay attention to, if you're at all into the genre.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nice try but it's actually 2020-4-69

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

nice try but it's actually 2020-04-69
ISO 8601 gang rise up!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

teethgrinder posted:

Pern or something?

But AFAIK Ursula Le Guin has always been amazing.

Also not to distract from memes, but NK Jemisin and Ann Leckie are fantasy/scifi authors people need to pay attention to, if you're at all into the genre.

I wasn’t crazy about Ancillary Justice, it definitely felt like a junior high reading level sci-fi book. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing mind blowing. The gender stuff was fine but like you said, LeGuin already did that (and executed better) in Left Hand of Darkness decades ago.

NK Jemisin’s stuff is really interesting, kind of like if Harry Potter/Dragon Age “wizard school” poo poo was written well and written by a geologist. Was a little upset to see her all over Twitter raging against Sanders for some reason but oh well. I still need to finish the Fifth Season trilogy.

For content (TW police violence)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

space uncle posted:

I wasn’t crazy about Ancillary Justice, it definitely felt like a junior high reading level sci-fi book. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing mind blowing. The gender stuff was fine but like you said, LeGuin already did that (and executed better) in Left Hand of Darkness decades ago.

I really enjoyed Ancillary Justice, but was slightly disappointed in the sequels. They were still good, but I felt like the scope really narrowed down.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Beatrix Potter was a goon

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqfSqUuo7Ms

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

drat, Nutkin was alt-right the whole time.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, this isn't a mistranslation. It's an awkward translation, but they pretty much say the same idea.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Pern or something?

Fifth Season. For some reason I always mix up earthsea and stone sky in my head.

Jemisen is real good and very horny

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

Fifth Season. For some reason I always mix up earthsea and stone sky in my head.

Jemisen is real good and very horny

I've only read her broken earth series but they aren't that horny. The characters have sex but it's seems that be just a way of expositing the sexual politics of the world than for any actual horniness reasons. IIRC she never even describes the sex

Jemisin is really good though, I agree.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I really enjoyed Ancillary Justice, but was slightly disappointed in the sequels. They were still good, but I felt like the scope really narrowed down.
It took me ... months to read the first book. But once I was in, I was in. I avoided the sequels because I saw so many friends talk about how disappointing/lacking they were.

And literally a Tinder pre-date talked me into the sequels, and I loving loved them. Took me two days each to read.

I agree it's a bit disappointing that it went from epic space opera to ship-in-a-bottle ... but they were totally fine. Great even. It wasn't what I was looking for, but having a solid cohesive story is so refreshing for this often-irritating genre.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ctUSD27.gifv

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

My grandparents loved Danny Gans

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

bike tory posted:

I've only read her broken earth series but they aren't that horny. The characters have sex but it's seems that be just a way of expositing the sexual politics of the world than for any actual horniness reasons. IIRC she never even describes the sex

I think I just sorta painted all her books with the Inheritance Trilogy brush.

There's a lotta godsex in those books

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

bike tory posted:

yeah, in the first book a lot of the sex is between an older gay dude and a younger woman who were ordered to produce a child and is some of the least sexy sex ever written.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

What's up with Earthsea? I don't know it well enough to know its controversies.

A ways back but got to chime in that it's not actually controversial. The meme is saying that Earthsea is cool and good and better than Harry Potter. This is true. It was way ahead of the curve.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't get why so many people like it honestly, I found it really boring when I read it. Couldn't finish it cos it was too dull.

Which concidentally is also my experience with harry potter.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Carbon dioxide posted:

What's up with Earthsea? I don't know it well enough to know its controversies.

The meme says you should introduce your kids to Narnia, which is jesus-y as gently caress, when it actually should say you should introduce your kids to Earthsea, which is Cool and Good.

At this stage I have been comprehensively beaten in the thread, but would still like to put my $0.02 in, because I am nothing if not a goon.

Memes

https://i.imgur.com/DoOscAO.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/KJu6KBA.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/taxfraudlesbo/status/1269427930393972737?s=20

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

guaranteed fast food workers have a higher rate of on-the-job injury, and probably on-the-job death too

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

guaranteed fast food workers have a higher rate of on-the-job injury, and probably on-the-job death too

Pizza delivery is literally more dangerous than copping.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fister Roboto posted:

Pizza delivery is literally more dangerous than copping.

Also taxi driving

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I would buy a pizza delivery veteran hat

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

you should get a service ribbon for serving during the super bowl

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Dungeon Ecology posted:

you should get a service ribbon for serving during the super bowl

And valentines day.

And new years.

Did it for a while. poo poo will make you a man or woman.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Memento posted:

The meme says you should introduce your kids to Narnia, which is jesus-y as gently caress, when it actually should say you should introduce your kids to Earthsea, which is Cool and Good.

At this stage I have been comprehensively beaten in the thread, but would still like to put my $0.02 in, because I am nothing if not a goon.

See, my thought was the meme was to replace Harry Potter with Narnia, going "haha let's replace something controversial (JK Rowling's opinions) with something else controversial, Narnia, because of all the christian overtones in otherwise a fun fantasy series.

So I was thinking the poster was trying to add to the joke by posting something else they thought to be controversial. But instead their answer wasn't a joke but was straight? Straight answers, in my meme thread? Apparently it's likelier than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

im dying oh m,y god