Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

mllaneza posted:

Basically, think and act like a Vorlon.

<*ouch*>

The Blind Watch Thread is a three-edged sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sanguinia posted:

I don't know about that, I feel like at a certain point that just leaves the thread as nothing but the two watchers talking to each other, or more often past each other since they're not going at the same pace, and us creeping on them with gleeful grins occasionally. A little bit of meta-commentary and cross-talk helps keep the thread feeling lively and everyone feel like they're participating in some way.

trivia about an ep someone just watched is fine, just nothing about What it All Means and Where It's Going

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Babylon5 blind watch: ...this is wrong thread (for spoilers)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd post cryptic comments like a Vorlon if I knew how to to do it in a funny way.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd post cryptic comments like a Vorlon if I knew how to to do it in a funny way.

$#*($FJ$@(FJ#@ ED BALLS #@%(*@#(!)$!)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

The probations have started. It is too late for posters to rate.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

See you in a million posts...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MonsieurChoc posted:

We have always been amused.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

TheAardvark posted:

Proud of Delenn's actress for demanding less makeup.

Was that actually a thing? I've never heard that and just thought the transformation was always part of the story regardless of Furlan's feelings towards the makeup.

Asking here as I don't think it's kosher in the newbie thread.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Maybe the scope of the transformation was different, like it could've gone the other way with the head bone and skullcap disappearing in the middle but still having the ear coverings and face stuff.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Was that actually a thing? I've never heard that and just thought the transformation was always part of the story regardless of Furlan's feelings towards the makeup.

Asking here as I don't think it's kosher in the newbie thread.

It was with The Gathering. Mira Furlan apparently hated the heavy makeup and voice alteration, which is why it was lessened to what we got in Season 1, but it was not related to the transformation. Originally, Delenn was going to not just transform from Minbari to human but male to female.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

It was with The Gathering. Mira Furlan apparently hated the heavy makeup and voice alteration, which is why it was lessened to what we got in Season 1, but it was not related to the transformation. Originally, Delenn was going to not just transform from Minbari to human but male to female.

Didn't one of Na'toth's actresses have to quit from becoming allergic to the make-up?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CainFortea posted:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wanted to run this past folks in this thread:

The_Doctor posted:

S1Ep18 - A Voice in the Wilderness (Part 1)

“Ivanova is god.”Also that static upside down picture of the station in C&C. Why is it upside down?! [/spoiler]

Is it upside down though? Which way is up, when from the perspective of the inhabitants, up is always towards the station's core, since they're simulating gravity by having the station rotate,?

Is that okay to post? We have seen the Earth Alliance destroyers that rotate to simulate gravity as well, so this question shouldn't spoil anything. Also, am I correct in my interpretation of that there's no "up" or "down" from an outside view of B5?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Is it upside down though? Which way is up, when from the perspective of the inhabitants, up is always towards the station's core, since they're simulating gravity by having the station rotate,?

Is that okay to post? We have seen the Earth Alliance destroyers that rotate to simulate gravity as well, so this question shouldn't spoil anything. Also, am I correct in my interpretation of that there's no "up" or "down" from an outside view of B5?

Yes, you can see B5 spinning in all the exterior shots so there’s nothing from the future there.

Really if you’re talking about events in the episode (Franklin drank a Zima, G’Kar left a whole cushion under Londo’s chair, there were five Starfuries on patrol, etc) you won’t blow anything. It’s when you start telling things about the upcoming seasons or drawing attention to minor details that we know are foreshadowing that you’ll run into problems, and honestly I recommend not bringing up new topics for discussion or commenting on speculation at all unless it’s to correct a factual mistake in the premise (Franklin didn’t have a Zima, he had a rum and Coke, etc). The innocent viewers aren’t dumb, and there’s a decent chance they’ll correct each other’s oversights.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Horizon Burning posted:

I see. I knew about the male -> female transformation but didn't know Furlan didn't like the original makeup.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

CainFortea posted:

And so, it begins.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Just prohibit anyone but blind watchers to post there and direct them here when they finish, right to page 137

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Midjack posted:

Yes, you can see B5 spinning in all the exterior shots so there’s nothing from the future there.

Really if you’re talking about events in the episode (Franklin drank a Zima, G’Kar left a whole cushion under Londo’s chair, there were five Starfuries on patrol, etc) you won’t blow anything. It’s when you start telling things about the upcoming seasons or drawing attention to minor details that we know are foreshadowing that you’ll run into problems

The issue with that being how so much is foreshadowing. Also, if we start happily talking about things that aren't relevant, we will draw attention to the things we are pointedly not talking about.

If we do post anything in there, it has to be very limited and solely related to production of the episode - nothing that appears on screen. The bit about how Billy Mumy wanted to film a scene with June Lockhart in The Quality of Mercy would be fine, I guess, but I wouldn't even mention the hidden messages on the Arrivals boards because it will make people look for them and distract from watching the show. Treat them like the Sentinelese - if you go in and try to interfere, you get shot dead on the beach.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Jedit posted:

the hidden messages on the Arrivals boards

The what

fandom wiki is not helping either

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 9, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
If you go to Z'ha'dum the blind thread, you will die get probated.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

AntherUslessPoster posted:

The what

fandom wiki is not helping either

Because it's completely irrelevant to the show. Set designers everywhere get bored, and they have these screens that they've been told to put information on but which nobody will ever read (if they even can) , so they use their imagination. Which is why the boards in one early S1 episode notes the upcoming arrival of the Rolling Stones Farewell Tour.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Yeah I think that’s fine but but maybe put the EP and spoiler it just in case. That’s what I did with the June Lockhart thing and quite honestly it still made me a little nervous. Man, I’m a lovely Vorlon.

E: Wait. Maybe that’s why Kosh was so cryptic. He was so afraid of saying the wrong thing and accidentally revealing the secrets of life extension and gravity control. :haw:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 9, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Torrannor posted:

To standardize navigation there would be a commonly accepted horizon that would almost always be the average plane of the ecliptic for the local solar system. Just like in your personal orientation in weightless open space there's no "up", but when you're plotting orbital maneuvers or courses around our solar system then up is the side of space from which the planets appear to revolve around the Sun counterclockwise, which also happens to be Earth's north. Having the station flipped in C&C isn't technically 'wrong' but it's like if the big map of Earth that they plot orbits with at NASA was flipped with Antarctica on top, it's just a needless complication.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Just prohibit anyone but blind watchers to post there and direct them here when they finish, right to page 137

I think that's needlessly restrictive and will make that thread just 2-3 people speaking into an echo chamber. It's really not hard to be both engaged and circumspect, just think before posting.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I think that's needlessly restrictive and will make that thread just 2-3 people speaking into an echo chamber. It's really not hard to be both engaged and circumspect, just think before posting.

Yes, this. TheAardvark specifically welcomed discussion in the thread. And some of the things that might be taken as hints to first time watchers, like refusing to comment on certain things, likely only becomes obvious in hindsight.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Jedit posted:

The issue with that being how so much is foreshadowing. Also, if we start happily talking about things that aren't relevant, we will draw attention to the things we are pointedly not talking about.

If we do post anything in there, it has to be very limited and solely related to production of the episode - nothing that appears on screen. The bit about how Billy Mumy wanted to film a scene with June Lockhart in The Quality of Mercy would be fine, I guess, but I wouldn't even mention the hidden messages on the Arrivals boards because it will make people look for them and distract from watching the show. Treat them like the Sentinelese - if you go in and try to interfere, you get shot dead on the beach.

So basically 'if you feel an urge to comment, just comment only about what pebbles saw and mentioned and not a letter more. No explanations or explications, even vague ones'.

Doctor Zero posted:

E: Wait. Maybe that’s why Kosh was so cryptic. He was so afraid of saying the wrong thing and accidentally revealing the secrets of life extension and gravity control. :haw:

Thing is, what Kosh says becomes crystal clear after the watch. It is a spoiler for us but until a person reaches certain moment in series its all cryptic. To act like this will require from all posters a great sense of cooperation and thinking alike. Also telepathy would help in this case buuut...ugh. No one is a Kosh among us.

We are all Kosh.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Angry Lobster posted:

If you go to Z'ha'dum the blind thread, you will die get probated.

I will not be there to help you when you go to the blind thread.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

It's fine to have 2-3 people speaking into an echo chamber in a blind watch. It's fine. Don't be the kind of lovely Twitch chat member who is repeatedly told to stop back-seating and keeps whining about how hard it is not to backseat when you knooowwwwwww what's going on. Just don't post there.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

fortunately I dont post anywhere without thinking first

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We are all Kosh.

“Wannabe manipulative jerkwads who aren’t as slick as they think they are having a laugh at the expense of people who haven’t been around as long” is an unfortunately accurate characterization of where this seems to be going.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

Correcting textual errors is low risk as long as you let the new watchers bring it up first and you limit it to what was on the screen in that episode, but you will very quickly start messing up if you go in and mention things that the new watchers didn’t say anything about in their posts. I disagree that not mentioning everything is a tell; I don’t think posters there are expecting someone who’s seen the show before to be grading their homework so if you choose not to talk about something the reason is as a innocuous as “didn’t read the post” or “been so long I don’t remember the episode.”

This isn’t hard and we don’t have to make it hard, but if we are legitimately having a tough time tell what’s a spoiler and what’s not then the easiest thing to do is simply don’t post there.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Torrannor posted:

In retrospect, It's pretty amazing how good B5 turned out. With being run on a smaller network, working under fears of being cancelled, revamping season 4 under the impression it would be the last season, and even managing a decent surprise season 5 (that's mostly weighed down by Byron, the rest is pretty good imho). And they didn't even need a film to wrap up the series properly.

There are other series, especially in the sci-fi genre, that fared far worse. You can see the three major possible outcomes in Stargate: Atlantis had a proper ending, SG1 needed a film to achieve that, and Universe was just suddenly canceled.

The two problems with the Byron plot (setting aside Ivanova not being there to be the one involved in it) are that it gets too stretched out over too many episodes, and the casting was wrong. I really like Robin Atkins Downes and by all accounts he's a great guy, but he was young and fairly inexperienced and he looks far too much like a Christ figure. Imagine casting someone in late middle-age, maybe a bit younger than Bester, who says all the same things but who you can actually believe at all times might secretly be a Bester-style Psi Corps operative manipulating everybody as part of a long-term plot against the station. The Corps, after all, has good reason to dislike the ISA as well as B5 specifically.

That does spoil the revelation of who he was before he became who he is now, a bit, but there's no reason for that to come as a surprise and the real shock ought to be that is he actually who and what he claims to be, especially as that seems so disconcertingly naive and innocent. Casting him as someone who actually LOOKS naive and innocent means there's so little friction between portrayal and character on-screen that it's possible to miss that JMS is deliberately making him an obvious cult leader who we should be uncomfortable about.

In essence, you should go from being sure he's creepy and using the cult for his own purposes to realizing that no, he actually believes everything he's saying, and that's scarier still.

CommissarMega posted:

Same, and I'd submit him as the real hero of the show, or at least the one with the most obvious hero's journey. I mean, he starts out as some wimpy assistant, ends up as perhaps the finest Emperor the Centauri ever had.

Vir is the Samwise Gamgee of B5.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Narsham posted:

The two problems with the Byron plot (setting aside Ivanova not being there to be the one involved in it) are that it gets too stretched out over too many episodes, and the casting was wrong. I really like Robin Atkins Downes and by all accounts he's a great guy, but he was young and fairly inexperienced and he looks far too much like a Christ figure. Imagine casting someone in late middle-age, maybe a bit younger than Bester, who says all the same things but who you can actually believe at all times might secretly be a Bester-style Psi Corps operative manipulating everybody as part of a long-term plot against the station. The Corps, after all, has good reason to dislike the ISA as well as B5 specifically.

Or just go nuts and cast this guy as Byron, or the Byron-analogue:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Thinking links to the "Lurkers Guide to Babylon" website archive and rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated would massively add to the quality of each post in this thread.

rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated google groups link https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
github archival dump of the Lurkers Guide to Babylon 5 website https://github.com/sgrimm/lurkers-guide

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Doctor's doing a good job of picking up on the references. I haven't the heart to tell him the One's spacesuit is actually from 2010.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Jedit posted:

The Doctor's doing a good job of picking up on the references. I haven't the heart to tell him the One's spacesuit is actually from 2010.

Enh, it's built in the same style as the original 2001 suits. Close enough for jazz.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I didn’t have the heart to tell him that the B4 design that he oh so loves is just a repainted interior of B5. Unless he’s talking about the exterior, which I’ll have to google as I don’t recall it being very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TraderStav posted:

I didn’t have the heart to tell him that the B4 design that he oh so loves is just a repainted interior of B5. Unless he’s talking about the exterior, which I’ll have to google as I don’t recall it being very different.

Babylon 4's exterior is pretty radically different from Babylon 5's.