Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I don't normally pay attention to the ever-ongoing J.K.Terfing bullshit but now it's way up there on the BBC website. I hope she's feeling mighty embarrassed (but i expect she's actually pulling a "am i really that out of touch? no, it is the everybody else who are wrong")

The BBC summary of it is surprisngly almost decent, but the rest of the media are playing the usual culture war bullshit. Did you know you can't say "woman" any more or they'll arrest you and put in jail?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Prime av material in the latest Squires cartoon.

IRON FIST Freedom Mist

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/PA/status/1270313591019909120?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is one case where I'd prefer the statue be left up minus the hands so that people will be encouraged to learn.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

This is one case where I'd prefer the statue be left up minus the hands so that people will be encouraged to learn.

Remove the statue, keep the hands.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yes, he did, quite a lot of people in fact.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Edit:

Dunno why I do it to myself. Cant be bothered

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 9, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

Remove the statue, keep the hands.
Pile of hands from statues on a pedestal as a memorial could work.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Illuminti posted:

In what weird world do you live in where you are under the impression that Rowlings opinions are somehow a minority stance?

The one outside of Mumsnet?

e: lol, a ten-year history of probes in the ukmt

josh04 fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 9, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Illuminti posted:

Edit:

Dunno why I do it to myself. Cant be bothered

no, please, don't go, impart your wisdom unto us fools

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
hmmm looks like someone else has noticed that the deadline for the Brexit extension is at the end of the month

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2020/06/what-keir-starmer-brexit-extension

What is Keir Starmer up to on the Brexit extension? posted:

Almost everyone wants one – but the leader of the opposition is staying schtum for now.

Nobody, outside the ranks of Britain’s Brexiteer ultras, thinks that ending our transition out of the European Union’s single market and customs union without having secured some kind of trade deal is a good idea. 

Indeed, it’s becoming increasingly obvious that business – whether we’re talking about outfits like the CBI or individual firms such as Nissan – is beginning to panic about the possibility.

The obvious way for the government to calm these nerves, especially since so little progress seems to have been made so far in negotiations with Brussels, would be to agree

First, any extension has to be agreed by the end of this month.  The idea that it can easily be done at a later date should talks over the summer fail to break the logjam is, as the Institute for Government clearly shows in its latest report, for the birds.  It’s pretty much now or never.

Second, when the government passed the Withdrawal Act earlier this year, it decided – both to reassure Leavers and to persuade the EU it was prepared to play hardball – to make it difficult, if not impossible, to agree an extension without passing primary legislation.  Obliging it to perform a volte-face would therefore require an enormous amount of pressure.

And yet no such pressure is forthcoming – not at least from Her Majesty’s Opposition.  The Mayor of London, Labour’s Sadiq Khan, may have written to the Prime Minister calling on him, in terms, to agree an extension.  But the Labour leader, Keir Starmer, has conspicuously not chosen to join him. 

In so doing, Starmer seems determined to stick with the strategy that first became apparent in early May, when, after he was asked by LBC’s Nick Ferrari whether he would ‘press pause’, he simply reminded listeners that ‘the government says it's going to get [a deal] done by the end of the year. So let's see how they get on.’ Ferrari tackled Starmer again on the issue during the first Call Keir show; but, as well as reiterating that ‘the Leave-Remain divide is over’, he resolutely refused to call for an extension to transition.

In some respects, Starmer’s seeming lack of urgency is surprising – shocking even.  This, after all, is the man who thought Brexit was such a bad idea that, with the help of Labour’s overwhelmingly Europhile membership, he dragged a clearly reluctant Jeremy Corbyn sullenly towards a second referendum. And this is a politician who, while urging Remainers to accept that the UK has now left the EU, is fully aware of the severe damage and disruption that leaving it without a trade deal could do – especially on top of the economic destruction wrought by Covid-19.

Surely, then, Starmer should demanding Boris Johnson do everything in his power to minimise even the slightest risk of that happening – a demand that, logically anyway, should see him campaigning hard for an extension?

But Starmer is also a politician who, perhaps owing to his legal experience, thinks very carefully before he opens his mouth – someone who neither speaks nor holds his peace without good reason.

And as soon as you start to think about it, there are plenty of good reasons for Starmer to keep schtum on the question of an extension.

Most obviously, what would calling for one gain?  It’s not as if it’s likely to make it happen.  For one thing, Johnson, Frost (and presumably Cummings) seem if anything to have doubled down lately on their promise not to ask for more time.  For another, a government that’s already earned itself an embarrassing reputation for U-turning in response to pressure from the new leader of the opposition is even less likely to want to do so again – not on something this huge anyway.

Moreover, it’s not as if Starmer would, by calling for an extension, be putting himself at the head of a furious and fast-growing campaign for one on the part of the public or crucial pressure groups.

True, there is a petition to extend out there.  But, with fewer than 80,000 signatures, it hasn’t even reached the threshold for parliamentary debate and is a long, long way off the six million-plus garnered by last year’s petition to revoke article 50 and remain in the EU.

True, too, polling suggests a majority (albeit one made up mainly though not exclusively of Remain and non-Tory voters) for an extension in the face of Covid-19.  But as always there’s a big difference between what people say they agree with when asked by a pollster and what they urgently, desperately want to happen.

It’s also noticeable that, while both individual firms and the organisations that represent businesses are very worried about leaving without a trade deal, they aren’t exactly clamouring for an extension either. Nor, it seems, are the trade unions – presumably because they don’t believe they’ll get one.

Assuming they’re right, and presuming their worst fears are realised and no trade deal can be done before December, the only advantage that would accrue to Starmer for having called for an extension now would be the right later on to say “I told you so” – never really the most persuasive argument in politics.

Meanwhile, Starmer would spend the next six months being labelled not just a Remoaner but someone who preferred to retain free movement rather than see the government bring in its much-trumpeted (and overwhelmingly popular) ‘Australian-style points based system.’

In the end, then, Starmer may well be wise to keep his counsel.  There’s not much he can do to prevent the government pursuing the course it has set, and trying would only see him run into trouble.  Sure, that course could end in tears – both for Britain and Boris Johnson.  But, as a cynic might say, taking inspiration from a certain Monsieur Bonaparte, why on earth interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake?

Tim Bale is professor of politics at Queen Mary University of London.  The second edition of his book, The Conservative Party from Thatcher to Cameron, was published in September 2016 by Polity Press.
ah yes, Sir Keir "former shadow Brexit secretary" Starmer very wisely avoiding doing anything that would allow his opponents to frame him as a "remoaner" by refusing to say the thing he obviously thinks

After all, what can be smarter than not saying something, if no one was going to listen to you anyway? Isn't that what being a real opposition is all about? I mean sure when it all goes tits up, as we know it will, and you know it will, and we know you know it will, you could point to your comments at the time and say "we would have handled this differently and things would have turned out better", but then people would just say that you're a smarmy metropolitan know-it-all and roll their eyes

whereas, if you don't go on record as saying that the bad thing was bad before it happened then people will think you're just a normal decent bloke who thinks like them and definitely believed the government when it said it had this all under control and now that they've buggered it up you're really more disappointed than angry because you trusted them and they've let you down, they've let the country down and most importantly they've let themselves down

also I keep seeing that Napoleon quote as a justification for starmer refusing to say anything meaningful about anything, it's loving 11 dimensional political capital chess all over again, with a side order of "I'd like to see old bojo wriggle his way out of this jam"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1LAE9T6x3E
the road threw the first punch!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
q != e

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I like that they quickly turned around and fired off a shot, like when a cat falls off the sofa and starts licking its paw in a total "i meant to do that" pose

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OK I have to ask - what do people mean when they say "quote does not equal edit" - do they mean they have pressed the 'quote' button instead of the 'edit' button or something else?
:corsair:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I like that they quickly turned around and fired off a shot, like when a cat falls off the sofa and starts licking its paw in a total "i meant to do that" pose

it's easy to joke but this really shows the indoctrination.

They are trained to shoot first, ask questions never. They are trained to respond to any non-positive situation with the immediate and direct application of violence.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

OK I have to ask - what do people mean when they say "quote does not equal edit" - do they mean they have pressed the 'quote' button instead of the 'edit' button or something else?

For me it's usually that I posted something, and someone else posted something I wanted to respond to whilst I was doing so, so I quoted it, then posted, then remembered that double posting is typically frowned upon on something awful dot com, so I pretended I accidentally hit quote rather than edit.

Which I suspect is what most instances are, but in some cases it's probably genuinely that they accidentally hit quote isntead of edit.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 9, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

yeah, I keep doing it on the awful app and if you make a big long post and just want to edit something in the middle and are only half paying attention it's not always obvious until after you hit post

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Starmer's such a wet fart.
So utterly asinine that he can't bring himself to oppose anything.

Except prosecuting paedos, of course.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1270333484528214018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

kingturnip posted:

It takes Savile-age to rape a child.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

kingturnip posted:

he's considerably less exciting than a wet fart

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jesus, a Trump tweet has actually been ratio'd.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/seasaver/status/1270253981877571584?s=21

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

kingturnip posted:

saw a twitter thread this morning i think explains it well that way back in december when he announced he was running for leader he and his team had come up with a specific strategy for being in opposition and are refusing to deviate from it despite basically everything thats happened since being wildly unexpected. complete inability to take the mood of the country into account

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

75 year olds are the GOP base.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

cool that he can ask her why she stays in this country and have a career imo

https://twitter.com/afuahirsch/status/1270331795557486592?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/4everNeverTrump/status/1270339051296485377

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Churchill was also an antisemite who not only did nothing to address the British immigration system turning away Jewish refugees, he also had multiple opportunities to bomb or shut down Auschwitz and deliberately chose not to do so, to the extent of withholding information about the genocidal nature of concentration camps and lying to Jewish representatives about it.

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-the-truth-about-churchill-and-the-jews-1.5491166

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/coops_tv/status/1270283996732235777?s=21

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

saw a twitter thread this morning i think explains it well that way back in december when he announced he was running for leader he and his team had come up with a specific strategy for being in opposition and are refusing to deviate from it despite basically everything thats happened since being wildly unexpected. complete inability to take the mood of the country into account

He's also been head apologist for the government for years and years.

He's one of those types who is genuinely incapable of thinking the system itself or any of its rules can be wrong until some sort of official inquiry tells him it is. At which point it was wrong but it wasn't wrong for people to be following the rules at the time.

His whole attraction is that he's a government man who will never challenge anything. As a leader he is perfect for neutralising the resurgent labour party and if bojo gets too extreme the ruling class can swap to Sir Bootlicker.

I guess the question is where does the energy of the left go now that the main parties have been totally dammed.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

e: posted in wrong thread

IGNORE ME

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

kingturnip posted:

But all we have to do is vote as hard as we can and then he'll definitely listen to the members

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Tarnop posted:

But all we have to do is vote as hard as we can and then he'll definitely listen to the members

Nobody thinks that.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Oh dear me posted:

Nobody thinks that.

I believe

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

He's also been head apologist for the government for years and years.

He's one of those types who is genuinely incapable of thinking the system itself or any of its rules can be wrong until some sort of official inquiry tells him it is. At which point it was wrong but it wasn't wrong for people to be following the rules at the time.

His whole attraction is that he's a government man who will never challenge anything. As a leader he is perfect for neutralising the resurgent labour party and if bojo gets too extreme the ruling class can swap to Sir Bootlicker.

I guess the question is where does the energy of the left go now that the main parties have been totally dammed.

Here's the question though. If Starmer is some sort of trojan horse designed in a lab to stymie the Labour party. Why did all the labour members vote for him? You're saying a huge chunk of the Labour party is committed to the Labour party failing?

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 9, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Tarnop posted:

I believe

Believe away

Aramoro posted:

Why did all the labour members vote for him?

I think some people were so disappointed to lose the election they just went for the person they were told was electable and hoped for the best, despite the obvious warning signs

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 9, 2020

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Oh dear me posted:

Believe away

Zing, you got me

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aramoro posted:

Here's the question though. If Starmer is some sort of trojan horse designed in a lab to stymie the Labour party. Why did all the labour members vote for him?
Because there was no inspiring left candidate, RLB was deliberately painted as not inspiring, and Starmer was being blatantly groomed to take the leadership (and then not investigate it).

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Aramoro posted:

Here's the question though. If Starmer is some sort of trojan horse designed in a lab to stymie the Labour party. Why did all the labour members vote for him? You're saying a huge chunk of the Labour party is committed to the Labour party failing?

More members chose not to vote than voted for Starmer. I think it's fair to say that the average member didn't find any of the candidates to be as inspiring as the leader who brought them to the party in the first place.

e: if you view Corbyn as a blip compared to the utter dreck that's been on offer from the Labour party for the last 25 years then it makes a lot more sense. Nothing prior to Corbyn in that time inspired a surge in membership, and what was offered after was seen as a return to what went before. Not bad enough to make people cancel their direct debits maybe, but certainly not good enough to make them vote

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Miss Hitler? As in women dressed up to look like Adolf Hitler? Or Eva Hitler?

I'd search for images to answer this question, but, y'know.