Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Psycho Society posted:

this is worth it just to scroll through the list

Agree 100%. I'm very much looking forward to playing the games being recommended here eventually (Had my eye on Quadrilateral Cowboy since it came out) but the chuckles I'm getting just scrolling through is worth $5 alone, especially given that it's going to such a good cause.

But seriously, where does this all come from?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
One game from it that was actually on my Steam wishlist is Spring Falls, which is a very relaxing puzzle game that I made to level 44 (out of 60) before becoming very not-relaxed, swearing at my monitor and then looking up a walkthrough on YouTube.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

yeah it's very good that after buying that bundle that when you want to find a particular game in it you need to spend 5 minutes clicking the next button then ctrl+f searching on each and every page (i can excuse it because acab and abolish the police)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

timp posted:

Agree 100%. I'm very much looking forward to playing the games being recommended here eventually (Had my eye on Quadrilateral Cowboy since it came out) but the chuckles I'm getting just scrolling through is worth $5 alone, especially given that it's going to such a good cause.

But seriously, where does this all come from?!

Gaming's a broader, more diverse, more wondrous thing than we've been led to believe.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 8, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Discendo Vox posted:

Gaming's a broader, more diverse, more wondrous thing than we've been led to believe.

that link is loving magical

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I have so many questions... and yet I do not think I'm ready for the answers.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
murder dog is innocent

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Itch's VR section especially is awesome because it's got a bunch of weird experimental movement demos, like this Sonic VR thing which is the most disorientating thing I've ever played.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Itch is one of those services that don't give you a steam key, right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Xander77 posted:

No, it's a platform in its own right. You buy the game (if it's a paid thing) and download the thing.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Xander77 posted:

It’s up to the developer. If they offer a steam key there will be a link on the download page, but I don’t think any of the bundle games have keys?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Xander77 posted:

that's down to the developer afaik. some provide steam keys, some don't.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
This bundle specifically does not give Steam keys. The games are DRM free, however.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Samuringa posted:

murder dog is innocent

Actually, Murder Dog is guilty... of living his best life. Anyone who would convict Murder Dog for something as base as "murder" is just projecting their own failures onto him.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

goferchan posted:

I think Tonight We Riot is like a generous 4/10 and ideologically I'm the target audience 😬 it really does feel like a flash game made for some facebook "Guillotine Memes For Depressed Teens" group . But if people are enjoying it I'm happy for them!
Shame. It brought back some memories from my teenage years - an arcade beat-em-up where you also control a large crowd, but it's actually a diverse crowd of fantasy archetypes, rather than a bunch of sprite clones.

Wonder what that was? Google isn't being very helpful.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I guess there's more mob games than I expected. There's also Okhlos, with ancient Greek philosophers leading an uprising against the gods.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

the cool posts kid posted:

yeah it's very good that after buying that bundle that when you want to find a particular game in it you need to spend 5 minutes clicking the next button then ctrl+f searching on each and every page (i can excuse it because acab and abolish the police)

https://twitter.com/itchio/status/1270160614418087938

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Seems like they added some rough sorting by rating or popularity too? Most of the heavy hitters are on the first few pages now.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

nice

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah with how well they're handling this I'm even happier about pitching in

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm really grateful for y'all's response, and I just want to say a little coda- whatever the fighting may be regarding Steam and Epic, it's this sort of thing that I think makes itch the platform most deserving of support.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
There's also apparently a few hundred more games being added lol. I haven't logged in and checked it out since the search function was added, but I know I saw at least one game by Puppet Combo earlier today and I'll say seek those out if you're a horror fan -- not many of their games are on Steam but they're kind of itch.io superstars, and create a bunch of wonderful B-game horror experiences

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

goferchan posted:

There's also apparently a few hundred more games being added lol. I haven't logged in and checked it out since the search function was added, but I know I saw at least one game by Puppet Combo earlier today and I'll say seek those out if you're a horror fan -- not many of their games are on Steam but they're kind of itch.io superstars, and create a bunch of wonderful B-game horror experiences

Is that retroactive? As in, if you already bought it whatever they add to the bundle is then also yours?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

AweStriker posted:

Is that retroactive? As in, if you already bought it whatever they add to the bundle is then also yours?

Correct

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
A couple of stand-out games from the bundle that haven't been mentioned yet:

Astrologaster: You're an Elizabethan doctor of physik who uses astrology to advise any who come to you. You're trying to stay relevant in a world when those damnable "physicians" at the College are trying to bar people like yourself from practicing your craft. The gameplay is just clicking on choices, but the writing is funny and well-researched, and the voice acting and choral music are really really good.

The Stillness of the Wind: A slow-burning narrative game where you're an old woman who lives by herself and subsists on her farm work. It has a very nice art style. The focus definitely isn't on gameplay, but it's still fun to putter around your homestead to tend to your goats, make cheese, and receive alienating letters from your distant family. I'd say it took me about three hours to finish. The tone of this game teeters on the edge of peaceful and melancholy.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is.... is the essay good?

The collection is called Okay, Hero. Its... okay.

quote:

In this world, it becomes the people with knowledge, the ones who have access to and the means to interpret it, who also have the power: emphasising his strength over his cloned brother, before their final confrontation Liquid goads Snake with “You’re the only one who doesn’t know!” And so Metal Gear Solid (both for Snake and us as an audience, because despite being privy to Meryl’s Codec frequency we spend the majority of the game trying to keep up with and untangle its ever-twisting plot) is an effort not just to stop the FOXHOUND terrorists, but to discern what’s actually happening here; to interpret and affirm out of conflicting truths some kind of genuine knowledge.

Which contextualises why Solid Snake, throughout Metal Gear Solid, asks more questions than an annoying five-year-old nephew. If I quote directly from his conversation with the DARPA chief, just for an example, our protagonist begins to sound like a West Coast surfer bro, intoning even statements of fact with an affected, interrogative upward inflection:

“Revolution?”

“Rex?”

“Baker?”

“Second-floor basement?”

“Metal Gear?”

“Psycho Mantis?”

“Card keys?”

“Black project?”

But it’s actually because Snake is Metal Gear Solid’s hero that he speaks like this. As well as defeating FOXHOUND and Metal Gear Rex, in order to become the master of his own world, he has to confront the misinformative system that allows those things to exist in the first place. A convenience of Kojima’s dialogue, used as feed lines to help introduce his game’s varying and immense quantity of exposition, Snake’s questions are also what denominate him as the progressive, evolutionary, and free-willed hero of his own time, an individual who both refutes the modern dynamic of passively receiving information and embraces the postmodern, eudaimonic goal: to forge from conflicting and parti pris truths your own unique identity. The child of two quasi-fathers — Big Boss, the legendary soldier from whom he discovers he is cloned, and Gray Fox, his friend, mentor, and idol — by the end of Metal Gear Solid, Snake has rejected both of their imposed identities. Unlike Liquid, who attempts to continue Big Boss’s legacy by establishing the mercenary nation called Outer Heaven, and Fox, who exists on reality’s periphery, declaring he “has no name” and is “neither truly alive nor truly dead,” Snake, at the game’s end, tells Meryl he is going to find “a new way to live.” In this, Naomi encourages him over the Codec: “Loving each other, teaching each other, that’s how we can change the world,” she proclaims.

And so, Snake finally embodies another, latter, and more optimistic postmodern ideal, tended by the literary theorist and philosopher Jean-Francois Lyotard, and conveniently summarised here by the University of Auckland’s Michael Peters: “Educational theory should seek to critique and dethrone existing metanarratives ... at the same time it must respect the culturally specific formations of plural forms of oppression at the intersection of class, race, and gender as they make up a set of fragmented social bonds.”

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 9, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Astrologaster is ok, but I couldn't tell if any of the choices I was making made any difference on the game, and I had no idea if there was any real way to "lose" the game. Maybe I just didn't get far enough, but I quickly got bored. If you just want to make random choices and hear choral music about chundering, it's ok. It also didn't help that at a certain point, it broke and stopped displaying the text content and just said "chapter 6 line 5" or whatever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

quite a few of those aren't actually games, and one of them is a collection of essays about metal gear solid (?????????). even without counting those, it still probably comes out to less than a penny per game.

What's the Metal Gear essay collection called?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I think this is it

https://bulletpoints.itch.io/okayhero

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thanks, the bundle currently only lets you search by title and "metal" or "gear" wasn't getting me anything.

I do wish it let you sort by tags, so many tile sets that look cool, but I'm not interested in at all unless there's also some actual games in the bundle that use them. and there was a chiptune collection I saw that I wasn't interested in at the time, but I might want to download later just to see what it sounds like.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Kao the Kangaroo: Round 2 is free on Steam (again) until Sunday.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The new games are up, the bundle is now 1000 things

Nuclear Throne is in there which is a really fun three level game

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

FYI save your purchase link because they do not add to your library and you have to manually click each one.

I am not buying a bundle then doing that 744 1000 times.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I am not buying a bundle then doing that 744 1000 times.

The bundle now has a message that they're working on an add all button, just buy it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can have a literally thousand things if I give five bucks to a worthy cause??? pshaw, how inconvenient

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

for people who love LGBT stuff there's a bunch of it in this bundle

highly recommend Secret Little Haven, Imperishable Memories and Boa Retina, and there's a lot more

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

I can have a literally thousand things if I give five bucks to a worthy cause??? pshaw, how inconvenient

I didn't say I wasn't going to get it (because 100% seems to go to protest funds, and gently caress cops) but that it'd get it and not redeem anything because that's asking too much effort from me.

I can be for something and criticize because it's not done right.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Len posted:

The new games are up, the bundle is now 1000 things

Nuclear Throne is in there which is a really fun three level game

Crazy thing is, once you beat Lil Hunter once you'll start beating him 90% of the time. Sending you some of my energy today

edit: Godlike game btw. It's previously been free on Epic and as cheap as a dollar on Steam but if you've missed it, pick it up. Not much in the way of meta progression or unlocks there if that's what youre into, but as far as the gamefeel and shooting go it's probably the most perfect action roguelike ever conceived.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I didn't say I wasn't going to get it (because 100% seems to go to protest funds, and gently caress cops) but that it'd get it and not redeem anything because that's asking too much effort from me.

I can be for something and criticize because it's not done right.

It was definitely a mess when it launched, but the folks at Itch are on the job. I believe yesterday night they added a search function (so you no longer have to control+F your way through 25 unalphebetized pages, lol) and filtering/tagging (by genre, type of file, etc etc) and they're working on better library integration currently. I think this is just like an order of magnitude more popular than anything else they've ever done on their site (which is mostly by game devs, for game devs, where some jankiness is usually excused) and there's also the scale of the bundle itself which presents some unique challenge. For a nonprofit venture on a site mostly run by volunteers, I think they've done pretty well with improvements so far and apparently more are to come

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
They're adding, or have added, about 400 extra games to the bundle. Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is in there now, which I've wanted for a while, and Dujanah which looks ace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

There's a thread here discussing it if anyone needs help finding the better games in the bundle.