Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

When I had my Brettonia army book I swear I remember a hero who has two cool dogs so give me that hero please dogs rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

They might start making up their own stuff for game 3. They've used most of the big names for the first 2 games already. It'd be hard to make a game 3 + DLC's without some creative liberty.

Nagash is a big name they could make a lot with. Ogres of course... the 4 chaos factions... Then it starts gettin obscure

Fartbox fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 9, 2020

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

I want Snow White rat to be in, but that's just me.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
As for game 3 DLC, there are plenty of popular characters who haven't been used yet.
- The Empire could have a military force in the Darklands being led by Kurt Helborg (mostly because I don't see Marius Leitdorf being a viable choice in terms of variety/relevant missing units) or Elspeth Von Draken
- Dwarfs still have two prominent characters (Grimm and Thorek, engineer and runelord LLs) plus a few oddballs (Bugman and Malakai, but those would be stepping on Belegar's and Ungrim's toes).
- Bretonnia is basically done unless they start pulling even more characters as obscure as Alberic.
- Greenskins could still add Gorbad Ironclaw, who could easily be placed anywhere in the Darklands while being distinct enough (he was presumed dead and he's the best, actual commander the GS have ever had - plus, an Orc-focused DLC).
- Vampire Counts have a perfect fit for game 3 - Neferata, whose bastion is in the Dark Lands. I don't think Konrad is LL material, but they could go for Abhorash or Ushoran (OG Blood Dragon and Strigoi, respectively) I guess?
- Wood Elves have Ariel and the Sisters of Twilight as characters who are both interesting and free to be anywhere. I guess Araloth is also a (boring, vanilla) choice - Champion of Ariel, Glade Lord with a hawk. Maybe reaaaally old characters like the wardancer hero?
- Beastmen have an obvious shoo-ins (Taurox, giant brass minotaur) but they also have a bunch of oddballs like Moonclaw, Ghorros or Ungrol (eldritch abomination, centaur and ungor, respectively).
- Chaos and Norsca have a decent amount of options, both from the lore or the army books, but something like Valkia the Bloody is possibly the most likely one - I assume they'll give equal representation to each God, and there was a mortal champion for each god in the latest army book (Sigvald being Slaneesh's).
- High Elves are basically done - most obvious choices are either unlikely (Caradryan or Korhil) or very, very niche and obscure (Aislinn).
- Dark Elves have a similar situation - only dudes left from the army book are hero-level dudes (assassin, executioner and black guard representatives) who are pretty boring and vanilla, but you still have old characters like Rakarth the Beastmaster (though that niche has been filled by Malus).
- Lizardmen have Tetto'eko (skink super priest) and Oxyotl (ranged-focused character who's super good at killing demons because he spent an eternity in their backyard being a nuissance).
- Skaven have Throt and Thanquol as the most glaring omissions so far.
- Tomb Kings have... Apophas, at least in terms of 'actually has rules' but I assume that one's going to be a technical nightmare (literally a sentient scarab swarm).
- I know Vampire Coast is basically done but I want the undead rat pirate dammit.

Kislev and Chorfs are going to get some pretty obscure characters if they want to get to 4 lords each!
Ogres have four dudes and they could always just make a maneater LL up.
Daemons have both lesser and greater named demons for every god IIRC.
Dogs of War have a shitload of characters too.

Eimi posted:

If it is Thrott in the dlc does he, or Moulder in general, have any obvious rivalries? If it's a dark elf it would be just as nonseical as Malus vs Sniktch and they already did a skaven vs dark elf pack, so to even the number I imagine it will be a flc dark elf lord. Meanwhile when I think of people in the area of Hell Pit, it's all more obvious game three dlcs. Like I would love to see Kraka Drak dwarf subfaction, but that doesn't make sense for game 2. Possibly a new Norscan lord to take over Skeggi/flesh them out?

In terms of Throt vs ???, he doesn't have a Grom vs Eltharion rivalry in the lore, so it would be another Malus vs Sniktch situation. The two most obvious pairings would be against either Dwarfs or another beastmaster-type of lord (like Rakarth for the Dark Elves) but the Dark Elf roster is pretty much done already, same as Dwarfs (at least in terms of their 8th Ed. book, they can still get stuff from the supplemental material).

Azran fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 9, 2020

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
How dare you leave out my best buddy Zacharias from the Vampire Counts list

I still remember him being the most expensive OP poo poo on the 6th ed list costing something like 1k points and taking up extra hero slots in your army

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I... completely forgot about Zacharias. :cripes:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'd really like Thorek to be in the game since runelords own pretty hard and having a super runelord sounds fun.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Azran posted:

I... completely forgot about Zacharias. :cripes:

It's kind of a pity GW did Vampire Counts in game 1 and kinda locked themselves down by making all the LL relatively generic (I like Von Carsteins but they're the most straightforward vampires of all in terms of both aesthetics and rules) so that they didn't have to use a ton of resources on all the different bloodlines and poo poo, and now we're stuck with a situation where there's just way too many cool and/or important VC characters left out for all of them to get added to the game without Counts having twice as many LLs as any other race, just so we can have...Helman Ghorst.

E: A better initial roster would have been Mannfred OR Vlad + Isabella, Kemmler, a Necrach lord (Zacharias imo but you could add W'Soran) and one of the BD lords. Would put Neferata in there but she's the only one that could reasonably be added to another faction (Nagash) so could sacrifice her for that purpose. Strigoi LL as DLC. Ghorst can go away.

Speaking of Nagash, if he shows up as a new race Arkhan is gonna be a bit awkward. You could move him to the new roster but you'd either lose most unique stuff about his current campaign, or he'd be some unholy mashup of not two but now THREE different races at that point.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 9, 2020

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Add Drachenfels as a LL you cowards

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I never thought about it, but Nagash would represent a great opportunity to add some VC lords that didn't make the cut for the main faction, yeah.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

god chaos are so boring

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

god chaos are so boring

It takes time and effort to make an army of ten foot tall armoured Schwarzeneggers the boring one.

That being said I find them more exciting to play than Bretonnia.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

JBP posted:

It takes time and effort to make an army of ten foot tall armoured Schwarzeneggers the boring one.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

JBP posted:

Dammit you made me imagine clicking on a chaos unit and it goes “DEAAUGH” in a bad Arnold impression and now I’m mad it’s not real :argh:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Alright. I know there are plenty of people who have done some mods of varying complexity. How hard is it to get started? And are there good tutorial/intro things for it? I have almost no modding experience with anything more recent than OG mount and blade whatsoever. All I'm looking to do is try and give all ranged units the firing arcs of handgunners at first and if that works, maybe rebalance some ranged units after that. And if THAT works, maybe give a toggled range mode that gives arcs back, adds range, and kills damage.

Also, am I crazy or did Empire crossbows in wh1 have an arc that was a lot flatter than they do now? So they could fire over allies, but with a bit better positioning needed?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd loving love to see a Strigoi legendary lord. I actually started a VC campaign as Ghorst just so I could ignore him and get bloodline lords, but it's not the same.

I mean, I'd love LLs for each of the major bloodlines, but that's not going to happen. It'd give VC waaaaay too many characters compared to the other factions. I think a Strigoi would play differently enough to justify it though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I found it confusing that they didn't give the Red Duke a go as an LL given his interesting starting position and very easy gimmick of vampire cavalry being apeshit with him in charge.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I just looked at the wiki on chaos dwarves and holy poo poo this is hilarious

What if dwarves.... BUT GRIMDARK EVIL

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I dunno what it is but this pic just cracks me up

It might be the way its framed or something but it puts me in mind of nothing so much as a shopkeeper welcoming you to his store.... OF TERROR

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Are there any mods that make chaos more fun to play, or are they fine as is vanilla? I don't have much experience playing hordes except for that one noctilus campaign and i'm not sure he counts.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The year is 2025

The US has collapsed into independent city states

Total warhammer 3 now has 40 DLC as they just decided to keep making them after the failures of total war troy

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE'S ONLY 40 SKULLS IN THE PICTURE

MORE SKULLS DAMMIT PUT A CAULDRON OF SKULLS IF YOU HAVE TO

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Chaos dwarfs are the dumbest poo poo and I hope CA keeps them that way.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I dunno what it is but this pic just cracks me up

It might be the way its framed or something but it puts me in mind of nothing so much as a shopkeeper welcoming you to his store.... OF TERROR

Considering they work for a terrible boss who demands profits and output go up every year no matter how many people they gotta dip in molten lead to get the sprockets working, and how they pride themselves on trading and doing business with anyone who can meet their grimdark prices, this is actually a perfectly accurate assessment of them (and why they rule).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The thing is I actually agree on that. In a ridiculous world, they stand out helmet and shoulders above the rest.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They also got strong hat game, which is important for anyone in Hams.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:thejoke:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Who are they meant to be? The Warhammer World seems to be roughly based on the real one, who is their equivalent? Poles?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

As for game 3 DLC, there are plenty of popular characters who haven't been used yet.
- The Empire could have a military force in the Darklands being led by Kurt Helborg (mostly because I don't see Marius Leitdorf being a viable choice in terms of variety/relevant missing units) or Elspeth Von Draken
I've been thinking a bit about how they could expand Empire and I'd really love to see Helborg and Schwarzhelm in a weird duo. They're huge rivals in the lore even if Helborg was a lord and Schwarzhelm a hero in the tabletop (and any fight would've been pretty one-sided). Set them up on an expedition with some mechanics similar to Wulfhart's as they don't really fit in the regular imperial system. I'm imagining both as lords, but Helborg, being the leader of the Empire's armies, would be the actual faction leader.

To differentiate them, I'm imagining some kind of rivalry mechanic where simple stats are tracked between them like their number of victories or even kills. Levels may be simpler, but kind of boring. If one gets too far ahead of the other you could see negative effects at the campaign/army level, but the losing character would get some buffs. They'd start off like Vlad/Isabella, supporting each other until it's possible to support two real stacks. Then they could shoot off in different directions (and missions/quests would encourage this) and really get their rivalry going. Maybe if they can keep themselves in check they'll get more frequent unit shipments or positive campaign effects, whatever.

I may have recently read their books. :v: Sword of Justice and Sword of Vengeance make for a pretty solid couple of books though the first is heavy on set up for the second where things get wild.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 9, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Who are they meant to be? The Warhammer World seems to be roughly based on the real one, who is their equivalent? Poles?
Generically eastern european, theyve got some russian about them, some polish about them.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

There's Oxyotl too, but he's just a hero level chameleon skink that loving hates demons.

Um, excuse me, he is a chameleon skink who was accidentally sucked into Realm of Chaos/Warp and instead of doing the predictable thing like dying or going mad, he instead just shrugged and continued to hunt daemons in their home turf. He went at it for literally several thousand years of solo guerilla warfare until he found a portal back to the Old World, rejoined with Lizardmen and just continued to kill daemons with them. He is literally skink Doomguy and I would take him 10 times out of 10 compared to someone like Gor-Rok or Nakai.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

Um, excuse me, he is a chameleon skink who was accidentally sucked into Realm of Chaos/Warp and instead of doing the predictable thing like dying or going mad, he instead just shrugged and continued to hunt daemons in their home turf. He went at it for literally several thousand years of solo guerilla warfare until he found a portal back to the Old World, rejoined with Lizardmen and just continued to kill daemons with them. He is literally skink Doomguy and I would take him 10 times out of 10 compared to someone like Gor-Rok or Nakai.
Yeah, he really loving hates demons.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

this is basically why warhammer owns :allears:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah the problem is that ranged lords are garbo though so instead of a super cool killy commando you'd get a guy who stands in place shooting occasionally at blocks of infantry, missing sometimes and killing one or two models when he doesn't

And then gets landed on by a griffon and doesnt do anything

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Endorph posted:

Generically eastern european, theyve got some russian about them, some polish about them.

This. They have winged hussars, they have giant intelligent bears, they have ice magic, they have wise old hag women, they have Tartar horse archers, their cities are fantasy Moscow, fantasy St. Petersburg, and fantasy Prague respectively. Their current leader, Tsarina Katarin, is Catherine the Great if Catherine the Great was also a top contender for the most powerful human mage in the entire world (think Elsa from Frozen, if she was a centralizing autocrat who enjoys killing shitloads of the armies of hell as simultaneously fun, productive, and great PR).

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
That actually does seems plausible for Elsa.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

This. They have winged hussars, they have giant intelligent bears, they have ice magic, they have wise old hag women, they have Tartar horse archers, their cities are fantasy Moscow, fantasy St. Petersburg, and fantasy Prague respectively. Their current leader, Tsarina Katarin, is Catherine the Great if Catherine the Great was also a top contender for the most powerful human mage in the entire world (think Elsa from Frozen, if she was a centralizing autocrat who enjoys killing shitloads of the armies of hell as simultaneously fun, productive, and great PR).

you're talking about Kislev, right? I was asking about Chaos Dwarves

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Safety Factor posted:

I've been thinking a bit about how they could expand Empire and I'd really love to see Helborg and Schwarzhelm in a weird duo. They're huge rivals in the lore even if Helborg was a lord and Schwarzhelm a hero in the tabletop (and any fight would've been pretty one-sided). Set them up on an expedition with some mechanics similar to Wulfhart's as they don't really fit in the regular imperial system. I'm imagining both as lords, but Helborg, being the leader of the Empire's armies, would be the actual faction leader.

To differentiate them, I'm imagining some kind of rivalry mechanic where simple stats are tracked between them like their number of victories or even kills. Levels may be simpler, but kind of boring. If one gets too far ahead of the other you could see negative effects at the campaign/army level, but the losing character would get some buffs. They'd start off like Vlad/Isabella, supporting each other until it's possible to support two real stacks. Then they could shoot off in different directions (and missions/quests would encourage this) and really get their rivalry going. Maybe if they can keep themselves in check they'll get more frequent unit shipments or positive campaign effects, whatever.

I may have recently read their books. :v: Sword of Justice and Sword of Vengeance make for a pretty solid couple of books though the first is heavy on set up for the second where things get wild.

I expect we'll see Boris (as they've said) and then yeah, likely Kurt as the last of the Empire LLs, unless they push the total LLs from 4-6 to like 8. I honestly, honestly, would love if all the Elector Counts got in as unique models, but I accept that's way too much to ask for the Empire that other armies wouldn't get.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Chaos Dwarfs are Babylonian/generic-Mesopotamian. they were out of the main line-up for a while until they got rebooted for the premium model range so they might have other influences now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

From context it seems like you're talking about chaos dwarves? They draw a lot of their style from Sumerian and Babylonian art and architecture, but it doesn't go much beyond the visuals and flavor. They also hadn't had a full codex since 1994 and everything since then has been drips and drabs of errata so it's hard to say what the final take CA goes with will be!