Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

GunnerJ posted:

Wait a sec. I just realized something.

Time causality loop... which Kat is coming to understand thanks to Loup... :aaa:

Now look at this page again.
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2314

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GunnerJ posted:

Wait a sec. I just realized something.

Time causality loop... which Kat is coming to understand thanks to Loup... :aaa:

The p is silent.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

even in their videos they switch between loop and lou

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I regret to inform that I was not being entirely serious at the significance of what I was pointing out.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The time loo is something entirely different, a terrible British time machine built in a toilet.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
HTH: Loup is just a typo of Lupo. It means wolf. That can't be a coincidence!

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

cant cook creole bream posted:

Loup is French.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Bonster posted:

Loup is French.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1313

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1320

dang annie all that planning for jeanne and you forgot to bring the camcorder

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Latin etymology is why the word kept a 'p' despite that sound having disappeared from pronunciation a loooong while ago.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tom had better make use of all these alt-text puns about loop vs loup for a real who's-on-first gag.

Annie: "I get it now! It's one big time loop!"

Loup: "A time what?"

Annie: "A time loop!"

Loup: "A time what?? Speak up, girl, finish your sentences!"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Bonster posted:

Loup is French.

I know. But Lupo is Italian.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
honestly considering that these concepts are well within normal science, having kat freak out about them is a bit weird

outside of that, it's a rather touching look at how much annie(s) mean to kat

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Causality loops are not, in fact, supported by science as we know it. They're a staple of sci fi, but so is faster than light travel and a million other objectively impossible things.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lurdiak posted:

Causality loops are not, in fact, supported by science as we know it. They're a staple of sci fi, but so is faster than light travel and a million other objectively impossible things.

FTL via spatial distortion is still theoretically up in the air rather than objectively impossible. Extremely difficult though.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 9, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well for all we know this may not actually be a loop at all. Could just be a series of Kats piggybacking off of alternate universe Kats working together to make sure Annie is safe in as many universes as possible, resulting in an excess of tic tocs all over the place like we've seen. I'm gonna assume by the way it's been visualized in the panels and not just narrated by Kat that it is a time loop thing though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

FTL via spacial distortion is still theoretically up in the air rather than objectively impossible. Extremely difficult though.

Yeah, but this is explicitly not FTL.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Lurdiak posted:

They aren't supported by science, per se. It is speculated that quantum gravity will rule them out, or that specific effects will cause them to collapse. However, within the incomplete math of relativity, not only are casual loops conceivable, there's no way to rule them out. Which is why I'm saying that it's a little off for a super scientist to have trouble conceptualizing something that is well within the conceptual boundaries of our present understanding of the universe. Right now, strictly speaking, science has just as much trouble with "why not casual loops?" as the opposite.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

It's not the time loop that's freaking her out though, but the thought that Annie dies in another timeline?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rahul posted:

It's not the time loop that's freaking her out though, but the thought that Annie dies in another timeline?

It upset her when first talking to the Arbiter too - that there's another timeline in which that Kat lost her Annie.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Blasmeister posted:

Supervillain origin story Kat about to bust through the wall of reality any day now looking for her Annie is the real problem you gotta worry about, Kat

This is still the correct take btw.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rahul posted:

Yeah, that was my read. Kat assumes the recursion had to start somewhere, rather than being a true stable time loop, and might be having a bit of horror about knowing that one of her selves lost her best friend, and also that this seemingly launched an infinite recursion involving time travel, of all things, and a version of herself (which absent of evidence to the contrary is in all respects you) decided that it was worth it to Koolaid man through causality to fix the issue.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Just because you have read about an improbable scientific concept doesn't mean you won't freak the absolute gently caress out when it actually happens, especially if you are a teenager, regardless of how well theorized it is.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Just re-read chapter 40, The Stone, where Annie and Jones talk about Coyote's Great Secret (which is still one of the best pages of the entire comic) and the nature of gods and the ether to defy causality... it occurred to me that Kat probably never heard any of that. I wonder if a quick recap of that is what's coming up on the next few pages?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Samuringa posted:

Just because you have read about an improbable scientific concept doesn't mean you won't freak the absolute gently caress out when it actually happens, especially if you are a teenager, regardless of how well theorized it is.

Well, she has seen magic bullshit happening for a few years, now, including a ghost, FunCity, pyromancy, 2d living beings and Reynard going from a toy plushie to a flesh and blood being.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Kat is wrong.
Neither her nor Annie are supposed to be here because they both have had their final record recorded with Mort. The Interpreter said that neither Annie should be here, but that's because that recording was made before the split.
Kat never asked about herself.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Man, no wonder Kat is stressed out. She feels responsible to save that Annies life. If she does not manage to break time, which is impossible by the way, some Annie will die. Quite an undertaking there.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
once youve mastered sending information into the past you're essentially a god, so maybe the loop is what guarantees that kat will always push herself to godhood

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Okay, yea that IS something to figure out.

Better get cracking Kat. May want to stay up late tonight.

Here is an idea though! Instead of relying on one of Pitbulls hit songs, why not use the loop to your advantage and go forward in time?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah but Kat, what if anything. What if anything happened at any time

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
^^It's one thing to say "Anything COULD happen" it's another to say "You has will have done a thing that impacts things in impossible ways, so you can will do things that have can will impacted everything everywhere all the time."

Like it's easy for YOU to say "what if anything" but YOU haven't broken time's linearity and possibly also broken through the barriers between dimensions to have will do something heretofore thought impossible. She has will have done them, and there's proof of that. Who knows what else she has will have done that impacts other things she just hasn't found out about? And she still doesn't understand the causes and effects of all the things she had will have done and possible future and past impacts. It's something Future Kat has will have done and hopefully understands, not something Current Kat has will have done and understands. She knows Point A and Point B, she just doesn't know how to get from Point A to Point B.

Man, no wonder Kat is stressed out. She feels responsible to save that Annies life. If she does not manage to break time, which is impossible by the way, some Annie will die. Quite an undertaking there.

She feels responsible to save ALL Annies lives. Since we seem to also dealing with not just time but alternate dimensions, it's not just her own Past Annie she needs to save, but All The Past Annies From All The Other Dimensions. I could see that being pretty stressful.

I'm afraid she's going to turn out to be an Old Testament sort of god.

Edit: VV What if Annie had a brain tumor? What if Annie was a stillbirth? What if Surma was barren? I get it, there's only so many "what ifs" you can answer, but giving her MORE "what ifs" isn't going to help remove her anxiety!

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 10, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My point is, as soon as she starts to question "what if", there is no way for her to save all the Annies. You can't look at it that deeply because you can ask "what if" about anything that ever happened ever. What if Annie was saved by the tic tocs but then drowned in the river? What if the tic tocs got her to safety and then Jeanne killed her? What if they landed her on the far side and she couldn't get back to the court? Preventing Annie's death in this specific circumstance is demonstrably possible, but it's unreasonable to want to do that for every permutation of every event. Searching for an answer to "what if" is self defeating. There is no answer.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
it's a foregone conclusion that some kat in the future will figure out how to send the tic tocs through space-time

so just stop worrying about it and enjoy some hot pot

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Kat really just needs to go all in on becoming a machine god and let the ether cause the tic tocs to always exist instead of all of this time-travel bullshit.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Hey Kat, just a wild and crazy idea here, but... what if you built two birds?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
There's an interesting parallel here between Kat and Tony.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Hey Kat, just a wild and crazy idea here, but... what if you built two birds?
"But I used up all my Birdium alloy building this one!" :mad:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tupperwarez posted:

"But I used up all my Birdium alloy building this one!" :mad:

"Well just have the bird go back in time and grab some more for you"

"But then I won't have enough for the bird I built and will retro-actively cause the bird I sent in time to not have as much Birdium and that will be another LOOP and did I start it or was it already happening whatifthiswasthefirstime ARRGHHHLEE"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks Kat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Today's comic flashes back to this one.