Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Some of us were clearly traumatized in our youths by the original TMNT game on NES and it shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Most of the sewer levels that come to mind for me are pretty innocent (earthbound, Chrono Trigger, tmnt turtles in time).

Arkham Asylum's was pretty terrible tho.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dark Forces mission 3: Anoat sewers.

Fuuuuuuck that.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Did I tell you about the time I fought a zeugl in the sewers??

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I see no practical difference between a dungeon dressed up like a sewer and a dungeon dressed up like a cave

Now underwater levels, don't get me started

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sewers are more interesting than caves :v:

Edit: Unless it's the Vampire cavern.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The most egregious sewer level has to be Bloodlines.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Sewer-Caves
Literally anything else
Sewers
Caves

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fuuuuuuck that.

This is the one, the worst sewer level. Like a big steaming pile of pig poo poo in the middle of a delicious sandwich. I spent hours on that level, completely lost.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

In theory, it should have been awesome. It was not.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I recall maybe two sewer levels in The Witcher 3, a 125 hour game, that lasted maybe a total of 30 minutes spent in the actual sewer.

Clearly overused, CDPR.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fuuuuuuck that.

Oh gently caress I remember that. They are so bad last I checked the sewer monster circumvented the god mode cheat. It was the last level of the demo, and i hated playing it again on the full version.

The Nish
Mar 3, 2007
I like the sewer levels in all the Witcher games. Now, swamps are another issue.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
All the caves and sewers in W3 are pretty small. They actually have quite a lot of reused assets too, but there aren't enough caves/dungeons for it to be super noticeable except on replays.

I do miss dungeon-crawling, that's about the only thing Skyrim does better than W3.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I didn't remember anything being too tedious the first time I played, but I will admit that I got really tired of caves by the end of my replay. They're not very fun to look at or navigate (especially the rare multi-level ones) and the fact that they're dark enough to require torch or cat adds an extra layer of annoyingness. Especially if it's a mission that requires you to go in and out of a cave in rapid succession, because activating and deactivating cat is a little bit of nuisance.

Nothing that would make me ragequit the game mind you, but if I had a note for CDPR, it'd be "no caves in cyberpunk 2077 please". or if you must, put some shiny crystals or something in there so it's not just a boring brown tunnel

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

Nothing that would make me ragequit the game mind you, but if I had a note for CDPR, it'd be "no caves in cyberpunk 2077 please". or if you must, put some shiny crystals or something in there so it's not just a boring brown tunnel

There will 100% be some cyberpunk sewers though.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

There will 100% be some cyberpunk sewers though.

Yes an entire network of the things spanning the entire city. Can't wait :shepface:

I'd love it if some quest you take says you have to go in the sewer for this or that reason and V says gently caress that I aint going down no stinky sewer and shoots the quest giver in the face and gets a point of cool for doing it.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I know you think you mean the Tzimisce dungeon, but what you really mean are the city hub ones.
Jesus gently caress, if you're going to put something that bland & useless (that is also two loading screens) just so nossies can move about from one manhole to the next and fill up on rats, go ahead and put a fast travel menu and fill my bloodbar when I use it.

Yeah, I know you practically have to be invading NPCs' personal space to risk a masquerade violation from being a Nossie. That somehow makes the hub sewers even *more* pointless and bad.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I just finished the game tonight (as in, finished Blood and Wine) after buying it just after Christmas last year. What a game! I was captivated the whole way through, only stalled a little bit at one point where I think I posted in here to essentially ask permission to skip around on side quests. The DLC stories were fantastic too! Vlodimir was hilarious. Toussaint was gorgeous, and I'm a sucker for stories about sisters with complex relationships.

The choices I made throughout the story, each of which was 100% right, completely black and white, no question:
- Romanced Yen
- Encouraged Ciri to become a witcher
- Killed Djikstra and cleared the way for peace with Nilfgaard
- Supported Cerys to be queen of Skellige
- Let Gaunter O'Dimm take Olgierd's soul
- I did two endings of Blood and Wine (everyone dead & sisters reconciling) but the second is the "real" one to me

Uhh, what else can I throw out there to set off an argument over the correct choices...

Oh! I freed the tree. Tree >>>> crones

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
The only wrong choice here is killing Dijkstra. gently caress Roche, the fascist genocidal prick.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The only wrong choice here is killing Dijkstra. gently caress Roche, the fascist genocidal prick.

When I asked for help, Roche came running. Dijkstra just threw me some money.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I only played W3 so I still don't understand the Roche/Iorveth split, or if I should have let Letho live. I decided to have killed him my first playthrough, and let him live on New Game+ just so I can do that path.

Letting Radovid live seemed like an unqualified bad idea. Letting Dijkstra rule Temeria didn't seem better than letting it become a vassal state.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Crappy Jack posted:

When I asked for help, Roche came running. Dijkstra just threw me some money.

Yeah because you said you were going to kill some elves, the sicko. Can't help himself.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
No choice has an unambiguous good option. They all have hosed up outcomes for someone, somewhere.

That said, always keep Letho alive.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Lucas Archer posted:

No choice has an unambiguous good option. They all have hosed up outcomes for someone, somewhere.

That said, always keep Letho alive.

He basically framed me, why in the gently caress would I do that?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Lucas Archer posted:

No choice has an unambiguous good option.

Wrong. The correct choice is to always let a troll live.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Fargin Icehole posted:

he helped you find and save yennefer

also he saves triss for you if you go after whatever the other hostage was

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 9, 2020

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
if you ever hurt a troll besides the bare knuckle boxing match, you are my enemy

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Edit: Nevermind read that wrong. Letho doesn't frame Geralt, he just happens to be there at the wrong time.

On the other hand Roche knows Geralt didn't kill him but he still blackmails him into going after the kingslayer.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 9, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If this game teaches us anything it's that witchers have to make hard choices, and who are we to kill Letho for his

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Fargin Icehole posted:

Hey ! You were the one playing politics and king-paling. Should have stuck with the path of not giving a gently caress (except troll fucks, which should be given in large quantities) and not been there to frame in the first place.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
please don't gently caress the trolls

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Halloween Jack posted:

I only played W3 so I still don't understand the Roche/Iorveth split, or if I should have let Letho live. I decided to have killed him my first playthrough, and let him live on New Game+ just so I can do that path.

Letting Radovid live seemed like an unqualified bad idea. Letting Dijkstra rule Temeria didn't seem better than letting it become a vassal state.

Him being dead is what the game defaults to, iirc. But having him alive is much more interesting.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Wrong. The correct choice is to always let a troll live.

:hellyeah:

Ainsley McTree posted:

If this game teaches us anything it's that witchers have to make hard choices, and who are we to kill Letho for his

:hmmyes:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm going through HoS right now and just did the heist. Literally everyone ended up dead except the elven acrobat who ran away cravenly at the first sign of trouble. It was one of those situations where I decided that since the game is presenting as "everyone involved in this is an absolute unambiguous bastard" I was gonna make Geralt lose patience with all of them and say fuckit, I'll just be the biggest bastard of all these pricks. Took everything in that vault for myself, left a pile of bloody corpses, didn't regret a thing and would do it the same way again if save-scummed.

I'll be curious to see how differently that might have turned out if I had hired different people or made different dialogue choices during the heist. Was it one of those quests where it was always going to go that way and the dialogue options are just for flavour, or can significant story changes come from different choices? If the second, I'll look up the variations on Youtube. I don't think I'll ever play this game again after this so I'm going with the "whatever happens, happens - play on" philosophy.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fargin Icehole posted:

The scene at the end of Witcher 2 where Geralt lets Letho go is really well done and justifies the situation really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjspBrYILJk

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

What about the rest of the Northern Realms? Redania, Kaedwen, Aedirn, and probably Mahakam are annexed by Nilfgaard if Emhyr wins the war, which seems significantly worse for them than being ruled by Dijkstra. Why is Temeria the only concern? And that's assuming the temeria that just gets vassalized is all of the lands ruled by Foltest when he died, and not just Temeria proper.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Cactus posted:

I'm going through HoS right now and just did the heist. Literally everyone ended up dead except the elven acrobat who ran away cravenly at the first sign of trouble. It was one of those situations where I decided that since the game is presenting as "everyone involved in this is an absolute unambiguous bastard" I was gonna make Geralt lose patience with all of them and say fuckit, I'll just be the biggest bastard of all these pricks. Took everything in that vault for myself, left a pile of bloody corpses, didn't regret a thing and would do it the same way again if save-scummed.

I'll be curious to see how differently that might have turned out if I had hired different people or made different dialogue choices during the heist. Was it one of those quests where it was always going to go that way and the dialogue options are just for flavour, or can significant story changes come from different choices? If the second, I'll look up the variations on Youtube. I don't think I'll ever play this game again after this so I'm going with the "whatever happens, happens - play on" philosophy.

I think the only big thing that can change is whether or not you have to fight the soldiers surrounding the building. Other than that it's just dialogue differences.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Some of us were clearly traumatized in our youths by the original TMNT game on NES and it shows

loving same. I had that game as a kid and when I beat that stage for the first time, in my mind, I had already beaten the game. I've resented underwater levels in games ever sense.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That quest is an interesting experiment in that it is a main story quest for a different character and Geralt really doesn't have control over what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

professor metis posted:

I just finished the game tonight (as in, finished Blood and Wine) after buying it just after Christmas last year. What a game! I was captivated the whole way through, only stalled a little bit at one point where I think I posted in here to essentially ask permission to skip around on side quests. The DLC stories were fantastic too! Vlodimir was hilarious. Toussaint was gorgeous, and I'm a sucker for stories about sisters with complex relationships.

The choices I made throughout the story, each of which was 100% right, completely black and white, no question:
- Romanced Yen
- Encouraged Ciri to become a witcher
- Killed Djikstra and cleared the way for peace with Nilfgaard
- Supported Cerys to be queen of Skellige
- Let Gaunter O'Dimm take Olgierd's soul
- I did two endings of Blood and Wine (everyone dead & sisters reconciling) but the second is the "real" one to me

Uhh, what else can I throw out there to set off an argument over the correct choices...

Oh! I freed the tree. Tree >>>> crones

Did you let the cat witcher from the Where The Cat And Wolf Play sidequest live?